Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,

How would a 944 make as a first track car and first manual?

Would someone who doesn't have a lot of experience working on their own car do ok with this?

Just get an expendable car especially if you use it on a track.

Well it's not a very expensive car, and the track near me is almost entirely surrounded by grass, so the chances of getting in a bad wreck are low.

this

OP your plan is dumb as fuck and really fucking naive. Get a 90's civic or something.

It's a really shitty porche
Get an FC if you want the look or an Mrs if you want the meme layout

If youre new to track racing, get a FWD theyre much more forgiving. Once you got the hang of braking points, turn in, apex selection, a good feel for speed and weight transfer then you can get a more powerful RWD.

it's a piece of shit, that is why it is not expensive
you'll need 3k: 2k to buy one that runs and 1k to buy one for spares(just buy a second 944, you WILL need a spare for everything in this POS)

don't forget tools and a second car to go buy shit you don't have

Someone who tracks their dream car. Point is you will be scared to go fast. And you need access to spare parts because while tracking isn't as bad as people think om the car, parts like to explode anyway. Most important is to make sure engine gets oil and fuel at G's

>Well it's not a very expensive car

hahahahaahahahah.

but really the buy in is "cheap" but parts.... its still a Porsche. a 30 y/o Porsche at that.

What makes you think parts for a 30 y/o Porsche will be cheap?

i started with a snap overmeme MR.
Other than snapping a few times I'm fine and I have way more fun than I'd have in fwd. Besides one guy in fwd celica spun out more times in one race on one corner than I have over multible events on multible tracks

>Would someone who doesn't have a lot of experience working on their own car do ok with this?
Not really.

>Would someone who doesn't have a lot of experience working on their own car do ok with this?
you're not gonna do OK regardless.
Just pick a car you can deal with working on and paying for spare parts and do it.
Honestly contrary to what benchracers want you to believe: the car does not matter unless you're all exact same level drivers which you never ever will be.

>Get an MRS if you want the meme layout
>944 FR layout
???

Dad DD a 84 since 86 and I know own it. Has over 300k miles on it so Im pretty damn sure I got a good idea on what its gonna coat you to keep it running

Yearly put aside 2-3k for repairs IF you are doing them yourself. 5k if not.

Track preformence is meh. It's very well balanced though In all honesty a newer Civic Si is probably faster.

MPG is bretty good

need a new clutch once every 100k

Lastly don't buy a turbo 30 year old porsche parts and a turbo don't gp well together without a complete rebuild. You will make it through one track day before its in the shop

Just buy an fc rx7 rotaries May not be reliable as piston engines in a daily driver scenario but when you're talking about an hour or more of 8000 rpms plus there's literally nothing more reliable than a rotary, redlining a rotary often is actually recommended
Fc has adjustable damping and a good suspension. Lot cheaper than the meme 944

This, any NA FC is more reliable than any 944, handles better, is much more unique thanks to its dorito spinner and looks nicer to boot.

>first manual
Don't.
Clutches are likely going to be pricey and replacing them is hellish.

>it's not a very expensive car
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You're gonna sell it for a handful of shekels and be grateful someone took it off your hands after something breaks on your first track day. Go ahead, learn your lesson the hard way.

not OP but what about a 200$ totaled SVX with a bolt on turbo? frame is okay, not street legal or able to be registered though

Civic or Miata, how hard can it be?

yeah but $200
I'm so tempted literally free and just run it onto the fucking ground

As someone who literally just did what you described: yes the 944 is a fantastic track car, handles well and isn't powerful enough to kill a beginner when you make a mistake. Would recommend for a first track car, It teaches you to make your speed in the corners.
That being said I would NOT recommend to someone who doesn't wrench and is willing to spend a lot of money/time in repairs. I bought mine for $2,400 in January 2016 and to date have probably spent double that in repair/ maintenance, that's including shocks all around, a cam tower gasket, timing/balance shaft belts and their rollers/tensioners, and a clutch (have fun with that, that's a week long job thanks to the gearbox in the rear)

>isn't willing to spend
i can't english

I've owned my '83 NA since I was 16 (pic related) and it's been a fantastic car. It's a blast on the track and you'd be hard pressed to find something that has the amount of mechanical grip and fun factor that this thing does. I've also found they're quite reliable once you fix them up. Mine hasn't left me stranded once.

That being said, if you aren't confident with turning a wrench, and you don't have repair money set aside, this is not the car for you. It's quite hard to work on, especially if you don't have the tools or space to do it. And the parts, while not being as bad as everyone memes them to be, are still kind of expensive.

Long story short, it's a great first car if you have a bit of extra cash and you can do the work yourself. It will certainly reward you with an incredible driving experience.

Where the fuck does this meme come from? I've owned both, still own a 944 because it's a reliable car. No matter how well you care for a rotary, the design is flawed. It WILL blow at some point. The question is when. My 944 has 350k on it right now and is still going strong with minimal work.

telling a guy with minimal mechanic expertise to buy a rotativo.. baka..

Get an FC. Even if you take awful care of it and your apex seals give out, you can rebuild the engine in a day and quite cheaply, after which you'll be just fine for the next 100k+ miles if you maintain it properly

Things will break, so get something easy and cheap to work on.
Mustang, Camaro, miata etc...

I tracked my DD and it was a nightmare.

Was really fun but everyone here is 100% right. You need a designated track rat.

This car would be good for that, but dont DD it if you track it.

Thanks for the responses.

Well im not sure what to do. I would like to learn how to work on a car, I just haven't done that with my DD because I need it every day and can't afford to have it sitting in the garage. With a track car I would have plenty of time to get a job done. However, the costs for parts, and the potential equiptment required is off-putting.

Im also thinking of just getting an older 3-series, but the Porsche is just so cool, and the classic car insurance would be nice.

Just get a Boxster. They're newer so parts are still relatively inexpensive and available from many different manufacturers. More reliable too

If you learn fast you'll be fine. It will be a money pit but you won't be daily driving it so it'll be fine.

why do people lie on the internet? Youd think that anonymity would make ppl more honest

Get an fb rx7 or a miata. Both can be had for less than 3,000$ and offer good performance. An fc rx7 will have the looks you want but won't be quite as bulletproof as a 12a rx7 or a miata. A gslse rx7 is the best of both worlds.
An older 3 series like a e36 won't be as reliable as either of these cars

post bread pls

Here's the 944, I'm going to have to redownload the picture of my FC from my computer.

The only pictures I have of her are after I committed the Ultimate Sin and dropped an LT1 into it with a friend after the rotary grenaded. Obviously can't give you a timestamp because I sold the fucking thing months ago. But go ahead and reverse image search, faggots.

>faggots.
user was my first post in this thread, don't bully i'm just jelly

Sorry, user. That was more directed at
. I apologize for my rudeness.

I've DD'd a 924 for five years and here are my thoughts.

The reliability is really just a question of how well it's been taken care of, as with any car. Mine doesn't cost a lot to keep, maybe a couple hundred pounds a year for any small things that go wrong.

That said, I did have to do substantial amounts of welding this year on the sills and arches, you really need to be able to weld if you want to own one of these cars, and not to mind too much about cosmetics.

Don't expect to be able to compete with modern cars at all if you get a base model 944 or S. S2 or Turbo will be competetive but expensive.

If you can find one, get a 924 Turbo, they are relatively cheap, lighter than a 944 and with an intercooler you will be able to get power like a stock 944 Turbo in a much lighter car. They have the same suspension and brakes as an early 944 but this is interchangeable for all the 924-944-968 series.

Pic related, arch welding.

Pic related, before I welded and filled.

In all its dubious glory.