Are hydrogen cars the next big meme after electric?

Are hydrogen cars the next big meme after electric?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jVeagFmmwA0
youtube.com/watch?v=CgWHbpMVQ1U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no

No because they're actually an achievable goal.

hydrogen will be the next ethanol.

pretty soon we will have smog days, where if you have an odd ending number on your license plate you cant drive, but hydrogen cars can drive all day.

the irony of it all is that hydrogen takes as much, if not more energy to extract and create/process than gasoline that the net result is the same.

>spending more electricity to make hydrogen cells than you would to just power an electric car
>attach a literal hydrogen bomb to a fast-moving vehicle
>people are actually falling for this

>car crash with gasoline/diesel/electric
>mild injuries, potential for death or small explosion
>car crash with hydrogen
>massive explosion

Electric and hydrogen cars will serve different purpose.
Hydrogen for bigger cars with need for drive longer distances.
Electric cars for cities and

>muh pollution
Hydrogen is extracted from fossil fuels, mining for which causes pollution. If you use electrolysis instead, you may as well just use the electricity to power an electric car.

>modern cars are much safer
>this means that hydrogen engines won't explode in a crash
If Stacy drives her new hydrogen meme machine through a red light because she's texting and T-bones you, a roughly 5kg hydrogen bomb explodes right next to you

>has several, pointless commas
>calls, anyone else, retarded
>sir
go, back, to, Reddit,

>more safety electronics
>aka more potential sparks if you completely wreck it
>aka greater chance of your fuel cells exploding

Oil industry is trying to push hydrogen but it's battle that was lost long time ago.

>implying anyone on this board would ever buy a car that isn't gasoline powered

Look up the energy density of hydrogen by mass and volume before you talk out of your ass.
You'd have to have a pressure vessel charged to a thousand bar before you can carry any significant amount of fuel for a hydrogen vehicle. Its a literal bomb. It will never, ever take off. Hydrogen is not a viable fuel for vehicles. Its singular real benefit is that its lighter than other fuels, but no one is complaining about a full tank of gasoline weighing 80lbs. The weight savings is only beneficial in comparison to battery powered EVs, and that will change as things progress. Everything else is total asspulled hippy faggot nonsense.

Hydrogen is the biggest meme of all.

Remember to follow the development of hydrogen cars closely. Be able to recognize and avoid every high-speed bomb from a good distance.

Have Focus for DD & diesel truck for free time.

I'm about to replace Focus with used Leaf.

Don't have money for tesla3 since shitty slav. Had fast cars in the past but it's over at least here, fines for speeding are just not worth it.

You can still drive fast on highways but there's not much fun in that and there's always someone with 500hp Mercedes that'll be faster than you regardless of the skill.

For usual stop light drag races Leaf will be fine since all the other DD cars around your are shitty slow diesels.

I have a Volt. :^) Most days it's powered by 100% electricity.

>driving around with gallons of highly flammable liquid behind the backseats
>people are actually falling for this

The difference is that hydrogen is extremely compressed in those cells and it is constantly leaking. Also, it's possible to survive a gas engine explosion.

The real meme is thinking climate change can be stopped, we got the ball rolling and now we are going to cook unless yellowstone erupts and blocks out the sun or earth is hit by another comet which does the same thing.
thats what ended the last ice age, only be fitting that another comet starts the next one.

why do Americans call petrol gas?
gas car explosions look like pic ya dingus.
don't Americans have LPG cars or something?

Gasoline

>"I'm out of gas"

Actually thinks about liquid.

Yes, and?
>PETROL PETROL PETROL
>GONNA STEP ON THE PETROL

even the lpg isnt actually a gas
lpg - liquid petroleum gas

I remember when the local city departments all trashed their existing fleet vehicles so they could get proud new fleet vehicles flaunting the PNG logo so they could get free gibs new fleet vehicles.

Now they're back to gas fleet vehicles again because the free gibs program is over, and gas actually makes sense.
>government free gibs programs at work

>gas actually makes sense

Gas like liquid or gas as gas?

It doesn't make any sense.

works alright in Australia, just about every petrol station has an lpg pump and it turns out around half the price of petrol so even a v8 car running it is still spending less on fuel than a 4cyl econobox getting double the L/100km, cost around $40 for 600km worth of fuel in my gas car for an example

Gas as in gasoline, the liquid.

I guess it was a neat idea to try, but for whatever reason it doesn't make any economic sense to continue without government meddling. And I live in a state that has cheap natural gas out the ass - you'd think they could just place a receptacle into the existing gas main next to the various vehicle depots and be done with it.

There's LITERALLY nothing wrong with gasoline if nobody can figure out a better system that works without free government gibs.

All the buses in yourop are CNG powered tho.

Hydrogen is extracted from water

Nope.

Electrolysis is extremely inefficient.

Hydrogen on commercial scale is extracted from natural gas, oil and coal.

You really think somebody would do that? They would just go ahead and break all those hydrocarbon bonds ahead of time and deprive the cars of that kind of easy dense energy source? And have nothing left to work with but hydrogen?

There was a big push in my town to get a whole bunch of new hybrid electric diesel buses. That again was actually a gibs program that didn't last, but at least in that case it was a good way to retire a bunch of the old busted buses that were starting to smoke, and you could see how regenerative braking (god I hope they had regenerative braking) and things like that should make sense in a city bus.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for cool tech where it makes sense, but it has to make sense. Not just be cool and have a bunch of paid off, drugged up, pedophile politicians issue edicts while understanding nothing.

>if you use electrolysis instead, you may as well just use the electricity to power an electric car.
You could have at least read my whole post.

It takes fucking 5 seconds to search:
youtube.com/watch?v=jVeagFmmwA0
Hydrogen will evaporate into the air, and that's it. If it sparks, it will just burn out quickly, not burn you alive when trapped inside the car, like gasoline is going to do.
>Not knowing a difference between a Hydrogen leak and thermonuclear fusion, where isotopes of hydrogen are involved.

Thought about reading about some topic before starting to spread bullshit?

>1000 bar flammable gas returning to static atmospheric pressure in a split second will totally be harmless!
You literally don't even know what words you're typing, shit for brains.

>not burn you alive when trapped inside the car
youtube.com/watch?v=CgWHbpMVQ1U

vid related
action begins 2:47

this will be almost as good as the Nucleon memes.

>driving around town in your hydrogen car
>get nailed by a gril texting through a red light
>cause hiroshima

>Using 90yo catastrophy of airship, which transports around 140,000m3 of hydrogen,
>Meanwhile Mirai tank capacity is around 0.12m3
>"A high level of collision safety has also been achieved to help protect the fuel cell stack and high-pressure tanks against body deformation. The high pressure hydrogen tanks have excellent hydrogen permeation prevention performance, strength, and durability. Hydrogen sensors provide warnings and can shut off tank main stop valves. The hydrogen tanks and other hydrogen-related parts are located outside the cabin to ensure that if hydrogen leaks, it will dissipate easily. The vehicle structure is enhanced with carbon-fiber-reinforced polymers from Toray and designed to disperse and absorb impact energy across multiple parts to ensure a high-impact safety performance that protects the Toyota FC Stack and high-pressure hydrogen tanks during frontal, side or rear impacts."

I wonder how longer are you going to embarrass yourself.

>we hired an extensive team of experts
>they were able to convince our focus group
>it has space-age materials and we designed it gud

We're not really going to know until it gets put in to use. Plastic panels on the Saturns seemed like a good idea until it was discovered that once they catch fire it turns into an unstoppable carcinogen inferno. Early electric cars were great until they figured out it's easy to get zapped by the high voltage lines during a rescue operation. We can do gas safely these days and we could probably do hydrogen safely as well; it's just that you made a non-argument with regard to safety.

You are right. Just like the self-driving cars. You need to test something IRL to check if everything works correctly. It works in any branch of technology. Exploding smartphones, sometimes stupid Tesla drivers not being aware that the auto-pilot soft is in development and they should keep eyes on the road, collisions of hydrogen vehicles in non-lab conditions. If not the people who sometimes gets injured to push technology forward, we would be still riding horses.

We still ride horses mate. They're quite effective for certain purposes. It's just that we've come up with preferable ways of doing a lot of what horses used to do, for better or for worse.

>considers a fucking Leaf and a meme-machine as viable options

Why not just get an actual car?

I love my Volt.

Nope. CNG. PFJ just bought Speedway, and they were just about the only ones selling it in any volume. Now that Berkshire Hathaway owns PFJ Watren Buffet is going to roid the fuck out of the infrastructure.

>most days the USP of my car works, the rest of the time my tiny petrol engine has to pollute the planet powering an unnecessarily heavy meme around

why are electrocucks so desperate for it to be workable? you don't have to put up with it

Biodiesel is better than electric and hydrogen

>current diesel cars need little modications
>renewable from sources such as genetically modified algae
>algae can be grown at high rates using pollution from power plants and factories

why not just grow your own biodiesel by putting an algae tank on the vehicle's own exhaust?

>why are electrocucks so desperate for it to be workable? you don't have to put up with it

I don't understand your question. It works fine and has only had a few minor software bugs that were fixed by restarting the car. I love this car and, IMO it's the perfect alternative to a pure EV today.

Because you people are hitler dicator fascist jerk-off artists who grew up in an age where you just HAD to get the latest iFleshlight. Nobody cares if you want to play tetris in your latest all-electric robot car. Just leave the rest of us out of it.

They're worth a try, though. You might like it. :)

What's worth a try? Sitting in a box and letting it go around for me? I already experience that in the back seat or in a subway car or whatever.

I'm already giving drive by wire a chance and so far I really can't say I like it. If they put the right people in charge of it and added some form of electric assist or whatever, I can see how that would be fun. But so far it's a dropped ball for the most part, which is to be expected considering the target market is the kind of moron who believes in global warming.

Hydrogen cars will never happen

This is correct

Petrol isn't stored under high pressure YOU STUPID FUCK

>I'm already giving drive by wire a chance
How? No production vehicle offers this. Electric power steering is not DBW.

>this is correct
>some hyperbolic retard comparing pressurized hydrogen to a thermonuclear device

Throttle is DBW. Steering is electric assist, which still feels weird. Should have a tighter rack and less computers playing games with boost.

>Sitting in a box and letting it go around for me?
I meant EVs, but that too. I've read autonomous cars are pretty surreal.

>I'm already giving drive by wire a chance and so far I really can't say I like it.
What is it that you don't like? For me, I don't like the lag that some have. I've read stories from owners who bought a tuner and it fixed the lag, but I've never tried it myself.

>a tank full of compressed hydrogen is the same as a termonuclear bomb

Guys are you for real?

I don't like that it doesn't react like a pedal that's connected by a cable to the throttle plate. It's really just that simple. It's disconnected from the engine, and tip-in, where you're going to be at whether you're transitioning on and off throttle, taking off from a stop, or just modulating for traffic is terrible, numb, and unpredictable. And the pedal is too light. Who invented this, some kid who grew up playing driving video games?

Now I work with control systems and statistical modeling and so-forth in my professional life. It should be quite entirely trivial to make a servo throttle act like a real one. But they don't because that's not the metric they're optimizing for. It's for some bunch of faggoty things, whether that fuel mileage, middle-aged women, cucks used to the over-boosted pedals in modern automatics, or whatever some manager or bean counter decided would good. Whatever it is, it's certainly not the driver.

It's close enough to kill you.

>doesn't know how a hydrogen bomb works

ACCEPT THE FUTURE, GOYIM

YOU BURNED US IN THE OVENS NOW IT'S YOUR TURN TO BURN IN YOUR GOYBOXES

yes cause hydrogen is a walking terrorist threat

He clearly didn't mean a thermonuclear weapon you stupid fucking morons

"Hydrogen bomb" is a completely inaccurate name for thermonuclear weapons anyway

He obviously fucking meant a potentially explosive tank of hydrogen, which is EXACTLY what hydrogen cars have. Sure, they're very strong, and manufacturers have tried shooting them and they don't blow up, they just leak out the gas. BUT when you're storing hydrogen at high pressure, it is inherently risky.

And like others have said in the thread, hydrogen is fucking inefficient - you expend more energy extracting the hydrogen from water, and then subsequently converting it back into water inside the car, than if you just used an electric car.

Hydrogen literally makes ZERO sense.

You'll probably say "BUT MUH RANGE ISSUES ON AN ELECTRIC CAR, I WON'T BE ABLE TO TOP UP LIKE PETROL"

Yeah guess what, there's two solutions to that:
1) Fast charging
2) BATTERY SWAPS

And plus 99% of people don't need a car that has a range more than 200-300 miles anyway. Most people only make trips of that sort of distance very infrequently.

>"Hydrogen bomb" is a completely inaccurate name for thermonuclear weapons anyway
Tell that to the sun. That's like saying an "atom bomb" doesn't use atoms.

>lpg
>liquid petroleum gas
Propane f a m

>Electric cars go mainstream
>100 years later
>Government aggressively confiscating electric cars to reclaim the valuable copper used in the coil windings
>Calls them an uneccessary luxury and waste of resources
>Bans further production of cars using more than a very small amount of copper and rare earths
>Says you can have an efficient, emissions cucked small displacement four stroke engine if you want

Yep. It is what they do. Look up steam reformation of hydrogen

Implying.

Space mining.

b-b-but why

H-C bonds release a lot of energy from a compact source when you break them, such as through oxidation, especially if they are multicovalent :'(

Because it is the most economical

>the most
So we can never do better?
>economical
you can't hid for long, you ratscallion