Winter Tires

Sup Veeky Forums

Checked the catalog to see if there were any threads on the subject but found none. So thought maybe I can make one for everyone to discuss while I get a question answered in the process:

This will be the first year I buy winter tires for my 128i. RWD. Curious as to what are some good makes/brands. Talking to local shops suggest Continental SIs. Others have said Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Continental is cheaper it seems.

Anyone have any advice? Or perhaps other brands I should take a look at?

Whats everyone else using this season?

Cheers

Other urls found in this thread:

boston.craigslist.org/nwb/wto/d/michelin-ice-winter-tiresr17/6337554020.html
providence.craigslist.org/wto/d/snow-tiresr17/6307691557.html
providence.craigslist.org/wto/d/snow-tiresr17-general-altimax/6315499821.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have you let the summer air out of your tyres yet?

The funny part about that meme is that cooler temperatures will result in lower pressure on their own.

do you even need winter tires lmao nigga just add about 0.5 bars to your summers and you are good for 90% of all climates or do you live in antartica or some shit lmaoo

I've run Blizzak WS80s and Michelin X Ice Xi3, the Bridgestones are MUCH better for road feel and braking, the Michelins are MUCH quieter and more comfy. The Bridgestones drive like summer tires in slushy/rainy winter days, they grip so damn much, you never feel out of control. The michelins feel more squishy and brake less confidently. Both are good, if you're commuting in the 128i daily and want quiet, go with Michelin, but if you want good handling and brake feel as well as road feel, go Blizzak.

i really like general altimax on my e46 xi. they are a conti brand

Unimpressed with the Antares Grip 20s that came on my car. Babby's first snow tire. I'll be running my usual tires into this winter to find out if I'm misjudging them or not.

>where
Where in the world
>terrain
Clear roads with light snow, heavy wet snows, ice and so on
>size
>budget
>studded or unstudded

What does Veeky Forums think about siping? My old man recommends it over studs, but I've rarely heard about it.

Two different things. Sipes work ok if you want something that's not going to throw you over the guard rails just after you read the sign that says BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD

Studs are chads to the sippe virgin.

It helps a lot - but its not like it magically improves the grip to make it exactly like a winter tire

If you're converting an all-terrain/mud-terrain to a winter tire then I recommend both. Aggresive truck studs and siping. Most of the guys I know get the middle of the tires siped, then put in as many studs on the edges as they can

boston.craigslist.org/nwb/wto/d/michelin-ice-winter-tiresr17/6337554020.html

providence.craigslist.org/wto/d/snow-tiresr17/6307691557.html

providence.craigslist.org/wto/d/snow-tiresr17-general-altimax/6315499821.html

Any of these seem like a good deal? I'm thinking about messaging the guy with the General Altimax tires to see if they're still available, but I'd like some second opinions before I do.

They're really not that different from eachother - both will do decently in pretty much all conditions you'll face. If the Michelins were the X3 version then those would've been the better option, but I recognize those as the X2's, which I'd rate on-par with the Altimax

The Claws appear to be very "meh" - the spacious grooving of the tire means it won't hydroplane easily and will be able to deal with slush nicely, but the overall grip and performance is mediocre

>top down in the winter
>sunny day
>heater probably on max just for shits and giggles
>tearing up snow

Are motorsports apex white life or what

Redpill me on snow chains. Memes, or good? They would be hella cheaper than getting snow tires for me because lol p255 55r20. Also my area gets super rare snow, like 4 dustings a year, but I want to he able to drive the rare blizzard all day to make money during, snow chains a good bet? Have a momster crossover suv.

I wouldn't know about that, but my local ice track does get a lot of "unfitting" vehicles on it. Quite fun to be there on the more busy days and just watch what people bring

They work, they sure do - but they can be a bitch to put on, you dont want to go too fast with them, make the ride horrible, MPG goes way down and they don't perform near as well as actual suited tires

Still, for those four days it may be a good bet

>such a thing as a local ice track
you lucky sumbitch

The mail trucks in my city run them in the winter, since the tertiary roads only get plowed when they're lucky. They just gun it through and it somehow works if they keep up momentum.

Not so nice for the plowed roads, but, hey, the city pays for it anyway, so next year somebody gets a fresh contract to repave it again.

Its also really good practice for people who are getting their licenses/have just gotten them, or those who want to really figure out the limits and ice handling of their vehicle

So true. I've taken some of my warm-state friends out to the snowy parking lot late at night, and it doesn't take long at all to start having fun and learning how the vehicle reacts. It's everything that's missing from modern driving pedagogy.

Kinda what I figured. Shit for the pavement but w/e. If I can drive through a three day storm in DC where no one else is prepared I would be one of like 10 guys on the road, potentially 10k+. I figure its worth it to buy and try them on some grass somewhere to get a feel for them. Anyone got a brand suggestion?

>Whats everyone else using this season?
Firestone all seasons because I have FWD and I'm not a pussy. Just cheap. Never had a problem with winter using all seasons. Accelerate slowly, steer gently, and brake early; that's all you have to remember.

DC is an automatic shitshow no matter the weather. Don't ask me how I know. If you ever need chains there you are in for much worse problems.

Basically what happens in any area of significant traffic is that 90% of vehicles can't move and wind up blocking up the roads for the ones that can. That's pretty much it. You watch dad's van pigleg one front wheel and hope he doesn't slide in to the guy next to him. You laugh at the idiot trying to yank some guy out of the ditch from the wrong direction. You just wish they would get out of the way so you can casually make your way around them, no chains needed.

I just put Blizzaks on my 135i. I'll second what the other guy said.

I run Supersports which are great in dry summer.
The blizzaks are good for about 3 inchs of snow and Great in rain. They also soften the ride in my 135i by a huge amount.

In dry they feel really soft and floaty and they are pretty dang loud.

Overall though I think they perform best in wet and snow. I still prefer Michelin for sUmmer.

My RWD Ranger went from winter death machine with all-seasons, to being a better snow performer than my AWD SUV with marginal all-seasons. I've never even put any weight in the back after I put the Blizzaks on.