Are Korean cars the new Japanese cars?

We all now that in the 90s and in the early 2000s Japanese cars were probably the most reliable cars, but they were also fun cars enjoyed by the enthusiast. But now Japanese cars are not as reliable nor as fun as they used to be, but they cost much more than their American or European counterparts. But recently, brands like Hyundai are making very decent cars that are pretty sporty with very high quality and reliability, but not overpriced at all like the Japanese cars we can find nowadays. Also if you like bikes you can also see that brands like Hyosung have even more quality than more expensive Japanese bikes brands.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7SzjTtCnJy8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shameless self bump, I'm planning on buying a new car and a bike and I really want to know your opinion about Korean cars and bikes because they are my first option to consider.

Sounds good, was thinking of getting a i20 myshelf. Also got any ideas if the make good diesel engines??

Seripuslt what's up with the korean viral marketing lately? It's so obvious.

Korean cars don't have any soul, they never developed anything new or took part in racing. Also they have no aesthetic taste at all and all their creations look like some license dodging 3D-models from cheap video games.

Koreans have to fight for marketshare, the Japs are resting on their laurels.

Toyota/Honda seems to forget that they are known for cheap, not quality. We didn't say "This is true quality!" We said "This is surprising quality given the price!" Now that a Corolla costs as much as anything else, we aren't so inclined to make that the go-to. It's just the myth of the mid-90s sedans carrying them to this day.

I myself would buy Korean and not be worried about my decision.

Yea ooook there m8.

I mean i guess Hyundai never made any rally cars am I rite

So they don't have much going on for them so they make good reliable cars so more people trust and buy em. Is that it?

Copycats. Deserve zero respect.

It's because half the people that post on this board are underage b& and/or busriders and have no car

Don't get how there are so many Corollas around when they cost so much now

>what is hyundai genesis coupe and why everyone forgot about it

I'm not denying the fact that korean cars are reliable. But we are talking about sport cars. It's still a hyundai with it's shitty slashed H, the logo that can be put on a microwave or fridge and nobody would care.

>but not overpriced at all like the Japanese cars we can find nowadays.
Their only option is to make good cars AND offer a good price, otherwise they would struggle on the market, because here's no cool history full of racing victories nor street legends behind their brand. All these things japanese brands already have,

Just get a used Civic

Big if true

When is your shift ending in the Seoul basement shilling for gookmobile? No one posts that fast to a ded threas like this with multiple answers but shills.

no i just watch rally you uneducated pleb

also korean design is pretty much masterrace

i mean look at this sex machine

>he's so new he doesn't even know when a tripfag is trolling him.
Sad.

>no soul
Uhh, are you trapped in 1988?

I honestly prefer daewood over handai and ikea, they are the best Korean car manufacturer that ever is was or will be. Please come back to us daddywood, curse you ford for destroying darnwool.

>hyundai
>soul
lmao

why didnt you post a picture of a kia soul it was the perfect setup

Sorry bud, but Nissan is the best Korean car maker

>a diesel fiat punto
lmao

Still has more soul than a korean piece of shit.

Sorry pham, here's the soul

Stop making fun out of my car

Couldn't Kia designers make it uglier? lmao

My Hyundai Accent had to get a new engine but my mom's 2005 Hyundai Elantra at 100k miles and driven by a woman since it was bought is still running strong. So I am conflicted.

But I would never, ever buy another Korean car because of what the dealership did to mine.

They forced me to hire a lawyer to scare them into repairing my broken piece of junk.

youtu.be/7SzjTtCnJy8

>there's a diesel Fiat Punto owner in this thread talking about car "soul" in this thread as if he has any clue what that is
I love Veeky Forums

>no soul
But they do have lots of Seoul

As expected from someone who never had the fortune and pleasure of driving such magnificent car that the stylish diesel punto is around. I honestly feel empathy for you my friend. I can only hope and pray that one day you see the light and drive just right.

but hyosung bikes are shit
why would you lie like this on an anonymous mongolian internet forum

Fuck off, KDM shill. Your kind is not welcome in this world.

Korean cars have no soul, he says.

>Korean cars don't have any soul, they never developed anything new or took part in racing. Also they have no aesthetic taste at all and all their creations look like some license dodging 3D-models from cheap video games.

Oh gee you're describing Jap cars from the 80s.

and also

>took part in racing

like this matters anymore because the stuff that companies race with has nothing to do with their roadcars anymore

Jap cars also don't have soul.

No it doesn't. Stop projecting your insecurities online. Get a real job, a real car and move on with life instead of fighting with people you don't know over stuff you're which you're wrong about.

>bought a shitty ass korean piece of crap
>projecting this hard
lmao

Yes, they don't yet. And for that I won't be buying KDM, but many people do. Those people who just need a shitbox. The soul comes as the brand image grows.

you don't have to be stupid just because you're poor

>>bought a shitty ass korean piece of crap

First of all, I didn't. Fucking tripfags man

Jesus christ, I'm keking hard. You actually bought a fucking hyundai/kia, didn't you?

Because they are still inexpensive, fuel efficient, and reliable cars.
That's all normies want in a car.
Not only are they reliable in the traditional sense, they're reliable in the "I haven't changed my oil in 20k miles" sense. They can take the neglect of your typical driver and keep running.

A Corolla or a Camry will run to 200k miles on just routine oil changes.

Seriously, what the fuck happened to Japanese cars? They used to be some of the best of the world, and now... this?

>A Corolla or a Camry will run to 200k miles on just routine oil changes

Yet some people will rather own a diesel Fiat because it """"""""has soul"""""""

Most Japanese cars are priced similarly to their Korean counterparts, the only real advantage the Koreans have seems to be their warranty programs. That said, Korean brands tend to be ugly as sin and somehow outdo the Japanese's liberal use of plastic in their interiors.

make a Honda S2000, NSX, ISF, GTR, Miata, FRS, Supra, etc. first. Then i will buy one of them. Not just give the shell to a Pro Racing/Rally team and replace the entire guts and claim they are in rallying.

>slower than a Ford hatch
>autist say the horribly ugly ricer design is actually functional
>turns out the rear wing isn't even rigid, it flops around when you close the trunk
>literally just a car designed for boy racers who watched Initial D and got brainwashed

heh

Imo Korean cars are at the stage Japanese cars where in the 70s, they seem to be learning from their mistakes pretty fast, they have stopped copying other companies designs, and they have started getting into more serious Motorsports. If anything Hyundai needs to get into LeMans and develop a true Halo sports car.

>they have stopped copying other companies designs
This is especially ironic since the new i30 is a straight copy of the Tipo.

>accuses someone of projecting while simultaneously projecting

Why would I be projecting?

More like a GTI tbqh.

They took the alloy wheels from it, and added it to the Tucson btw.

A bit but the profile of the car is absurdly similar to the Tipo.

For comparison purposes.

>he doesn't know that modern korean cars are created by germans

It's a cheap way to get 348 hp in a modern car. I've had a GenISIS Coup 3.8 for a year. Bought it with 30k miles, put 20k miles on it so far. No mechanical issues, and the interior is holding up well enough, but I'm fairly sure the right side of the car has some weak welds that cause creaking when the chassis flexes. I may have fucked them up by taking it to mountain passes every week. Granted, I've been in a Lexus CT 200h that had barely 60k miles and was creaking like a motherfucker over every bump, so the Nips are doing something wrong too.

I think they're 70-80% of the way there. The manual transmissions are mediocre though. Not sure if they intend to improve them for the Gen Coupe replacement.

Well truthfully Korean cars are gaining momentum in the auto enthusiast realm of auto fanboys. For example....that new Elantra sport is literally the shit. It blows the doors off its competition in every area. People shit on korean cars but for 21k you get a sports compact with a tuned exhaust. No mock exhaust speakers, fuck even the new civic SI sounds like doodoo. I'm going to get shit for this part but they offer a DCT in the E.S so its really good for all consumers looking for either autos/ or manuals. Civic fuckboys are still like "the si is an enthusiast car...reeeee no autos..just get a touring huehuehue" but Hyundai is actually beating them at that aspect. truthfully if you don't look at the ES for what it is...you are no an auto enthusiast

Japanese cars aren't "Japanese cars" anymore.

What made older Japanese cars great was well-thoughtout and simple engineering. Vehicles that were easy to work on and cheap to fix, but weren't overbuild or over-engineered.

Even Japanese motorcycles are losing that increasingly.

took my elantra sport up into the mountains today, drove like a dream.

Christ, I'm beginning to think there are actual corporate shills here, and I'm the gen coupe fag that posted

I have an Elantra Sport.
I drive it with serious intention all the time, and I have yet to upset the chassis yet.
As long as you keep it above 3500 RPM, the engine does an admirable job of throwing it around.
It will go down as one of the last great uncompromised sport compacts.

This

No one here is going to take them seriously until they make a serious sports car.

What's even the point? Why bother buy some korean shitbox when for like $2k more you could just get the honda or toyota equivalent and have a car with much better resale value? I could see picking one up lightly used for basically nothing a few years later, but eh. They need to do something to fill a niche that no one else does. Have Kia make a 20k rwd toegay machine or something, idk, something interesting.

When was the last time you heard about Korea specific car culture? Do you know anything about car culture in Korea?

Now try the same for Japan. Korea is just a knockoff Japan without anything that makes Japan cool or interesting.

I do like seeing Kia soul's tho

I will say though the Stinger looks quite nice. Take the german designers they are holding hostage and make them design something like a 2 door stinger and sell it as a sport car.

Love my Koreabox to be frank about it.

Coulda had a Corolla. Coulda had a Civic, Coulda bad a Mini or a VeeDub or whatever shit, but the Veloster literally has more character. I love that it looks goofy as fuck and not like every other boring box on the road.

I dunno about their cars, but I have a Korean motorcycle (Hyosung) and it’s treated me well. No issues other than shit stock tires that didn’t grip for shit and wore out in like 8k miles.

yes seems so because when jap car first came around their reputation was exactly the same as that of korean cars a few years back.
And now korean cars are getting better. Their reputation has allready improved quite a lot

its like the best FWD car ever made.
After I saw how it performed on the track my opnion of FWD changed

The i30N looks gorgeous and I would buy one if I could, but apparently as an Ameriburger I don't deserve one and need to be punished for my freedom. So fuck Hyundai.

The next-gen Veloster will be based on it and will also get an N version. That one is coming to America.

Well with all the recalls within the last 5 years, Japan lost a big chunk of its "reliability" reputation, but they are still better cars than Korean cars. But Koreans are really catching up.

Maybe they will add "soul" and fun to their cars once they get a hang of making solid cars first. That's what Japan did anyways many years ago.

Agreed. Fuck Japan for its decades of shameless copying and hiring of European engineers and designers

I can actually add more cars into the lookalike list. So who's copying who? Oh wait, they are just following the current trend in design. MIND BLOWN

nah Korea won't get a share of the 1980-90's Japan-like glory because electric cars, emissions and AI driving will end all soul in cars once and for all.

Prepare your anus for the public-transportation era of cars

>hyosung
>quality
>performance

One won has been desposited into your account, seo hyuk dong.

Ducati copied honda's looks, but not honda's engineering. They remained rattly air cooled V twins that came apart in five minutes whether you liked it or not.
>based dzus bolts

Jap bikes have always been harder to work on by comparison. Ever do basic maintenance on an RVF750? yeeeaaaaaaaaaaah.

Yeah I've been thinking this was an ad campaign too. The posts are just too organized and consistent.

but seriously who would shill fucking hyosung

the nicest bike they make is an SV650 clone made with cheaper materials so it cost even less than a budget bike from the budgetest of nip makes

>but seriously who would shill fucking hyosung

a false flagger. Even Koreans know hyosung is mediocre it's not a mystery. It's probably the "anti-gook" tripfag who turned his trip off once everyone point-and-laughed at him several months ago.

Probably behind the dumb obvious shill "oh wow kias are literally the best" threads too.

Just a butthurt weeb ignore thread.

If you see it in person it pretty much looks like a 1930s car, and i looks great in person. I like the new minivans design the koreans are making, the european and japanese rectangles looks pretty boring. Just see the Hyundai iX20, it's a minivan that actually looks good, maybe it's a little funny looking because the shape is like a bubble but I think it's cute.

>Hyosung have even more quality than more expensive Japanese bikes brands.

Been saying this for years.

>early 70s: Japanese cars are considered to be joke tier
>early 80s: Japanese cars are considered to be decent, bit still not proper cars
>early 90s: Japanese cars are fucking awesome now. Golden era

>late 90s: Korean cars are considered to be joke tier
>late 00s: Korean cars are considered to be decent, bit still not proper cars
>late 10s: Korean cars are fucking awesome now. Golden era

Cars dont have souls

How much do you get paid per post?

nothing, I'm not the guy who spent time of his life making shitty photoshops. why are you so upset about people talking about Korean cars?

>he thinks normies care enough about what Veeky Forums fagets think enough that they would pay people to change their minds

> he doesn't know Germans are all now from Nigeria