Leasing a car

As someone who does not drive more than 10k miles a year on average.

Would leasing a car be a good option? I'd like to drive something new for the 3-4 year cycle then swap it out.

Why pay $700 a month to own something like this when I can pay $400 a month to lease it?

Yeah I can't resell it but why bother?

Other urls found in this thread:

lifehacker.com/5858640/should-i-buy-or-lease-a-car
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just fucking buy a used car for cheap

pay 700 dollars a month once, and get a geo metro

If you like having a new car every 3-4 years then lease.

How much money do you make? Are you set for retirement or do you come from mostly nothing?

A constant car payment over a lifetime can wipe our 500k to a million dollars in retirement funds vs just get a used reliable car every 10-15 years and running them into the ground. Seriously, beyond kids a car payment is the #1 retirement fund killer.

If you can afford it and still save, go for it. If you "just want nice shit", well you either need to earn more or accept the fact that it's a terrible financial decision to constantly lease.

I lease my car too. 5 years AND I put a down payment simply so I can pay less month for the car I wanted. Work isn't far away so I've only put a little over 7000km with an km allowance of 20000 km which i'm never going to do. I pay just under $300 canadian bacons a month.

Ownership is in many ways more difficult like with my plan I had a slow leak on my right front tire. I went it, had a coffee and it was fixed with zero cost to me. If anything else came up on my late 2016 well i'd go to the dealership and ask if they can fix THEIR car.

You’re either paying for a car monthly, or your saving monthly so you can afford a new one cash.

Basically, you have a monthly automotive spend no matter what you do. You might as well dodge depreciation.

Most lux and high line sports car buyers lease shit so they can change up every few years and not deal with 50% depreciation on an s class.

Or you could buy a used car fo 4 grand and still pay less than the lease in just one year, AND you can resell it?

If you have good credit, lease terms are very good.

If you have bad leases will fuck you. They are toxic for thr poor and dumb, but an extensible cost of business for thr smart.....

So be a good boy and keep your credit rating high...

>▶
But then you have an old rusty piece of shit that will make you look retarded to your boss because your piece of shitbucket 99corolla wit( 400k miles on it wouldn’t start again, but he’s paying you $150k a year to have your ass in that seat on time every day....

But that Hyundai 10 year 100k mile warranty

4 grand is a mid 2000s vehicle with 150,000 on it. If the alternator hasn't been replaced, do so on a weekend or after work and then keep up with fluid changes and other maintenance. Spend 8 grand and you get a late 2000s on perhaps even 2010 with 90-120 thousand on it. Your employer pays you to work, not have a nice car you're a consistent debt slave to in the parking lot.

Hyundai/Kia even Mitsubishi can do that because parts are so inexpensive to make. I don't like them personally because standard model cars feel very low build quality and cheap.

is a hyundai or kia even worth owning? Seem like such clunkers.

start a business and write off your lease as a company vehicle. free car dude

>You’re either paying for a car monthly, or your saving monthly so you can afford a new one cash.
>Basically, you have a monthly automotive spend no matter what you do. You might as well dodge depreciation.

t. Failed economics and didn't do the math

Margins for the car owner (the dealer) are baked into the lease.

This is like expecting a house rental to be cheaper than ownership. Ownership will always be cheaper unless you're renting from owners that aren't looking to make a profit (dumb fucks with a high apr mortgage). Dealerships don't exist to hand you a car for a few years just to break even.

Again, leasing over a lifetime vs. buying used and running into the ground will cost you at least half a million dollars come retirement. Not worth it to me, and I'm already into 7 figures in my late 20s. Still drive my first car '06 Accord.

OP, you should provide basic financial info. How old are you? How much do you save per month? How much do you want to have saved for retirement? What does your career path look like? Etc.

Tldr leasing is almost always the more expensive option long term. You don't get that new car every few years for free. You WILL put a serious dent in your long term savings

Good post

Are you worried about a car loan crash causing a shitstorm and tanking your investments at all? Just turned 21 and a little scared to start investing.

Will be dead by 70 so retirement isn't a major concern but I will have a state pension since I work for the state.

I also have a tiny 401k each month; by the time i'm 50 it should be doing pretty well.

Yes I could buy used but I dislike haggling/dealing/chance/risking buying from random people or overpaying the crummy dealership ones.

I'd rather buy new/cert pre owned since it has warranties and yeah it's expensive but it's a newer car than the 2004 corolla.

>fleecing
>ever

fucking good one

Anything before 2013 is yeah a clunker, they're getting better surprisingly since Honda and Toyota have upped their car and quality by leaps especially Honda.

Current Hyundai cars are pretty meh the sonata is better than anything below it. The Genesis is very good for a big car. Only downside is you can have a much better camary or accord even a decent BMW 3 or 5 series for around the same price.

Ownership with extended bumper to bumper warranty is still cheaper long term versus lease.

10 year bumper to bumpers (on top of factory 3/5 year) are only like 3 grand. Hyundai gives you a 10 year for free and VW gives you 6 on their new SUVs. The break even point to buy is only 5 years.

Anyone arguing that a lease is a better financial option just isn't good at basic 8th grade math. No wonder dealers love you guys.

Just admit you want a new car every few years. It's fine to want that. Please just stop saying it's a good financial move. It isn't.

>you have to retire at 65
Wew lad
Also have you considered taking a

Some of us have regular paying jobs and like to drive new cars with 0 factory miles on them.

It's nice to have nice new things.

Writing off a purchased company vehicle is cheaper.

Companies lease for image. Don't want to look poor. It's still more expensive.

Son of a bitch.
Have you considering taking an hour or two to 1. Read the sticky here, how to buy a used car section, and 2. Research any specific problems of a used car? Private owner sales are the best bang for the buck. Just don't be an idiot who buys a bad car with no maintenance records, no compression in 2 cylinders, black coolant, and a trash filled interior.

10 years? You're the sucker for getting locked down for 10 years with a car that's obsolete in 3 at the most 5 years.

You're settling for less, something I see way to often on Veeky Forums. Getting a new car every few years and making good regular car payments is good for finances, credit, relationship with your dealership and insurance.

In the end it's the same, I have a new car and paying the same, you're in the same car at the end. A car you're either going to sell to pay for a new car or trade in for one.

A friend of mine did this, dumped his car and drives the company pickup. A giant orangy red pickup with massive logos, mud, scratches and dirt glued to the sides. Seriously not a classy thing to see.

>Will be dead by 70 so retirement isn't a major concern

Spoken like a stereotypical dumb young person. Average lifespan of Western college educated male is 88 yrs. Unless you have an known chronic condition that will shorten your life or are a total fat ass, you will almost certainly see 80.

>I also have a tiny 401k each month; by the time i'm 50 it should be doing pretty well.

Sounds like you haven't done the math. What are your actual projections? If you're just contributing the minimum for matching, you'll be way behind. IRA? HSA? Any non-tax advantaged accounts?

>Yes I could buy used but I dislike haggling/dealing/chance/risking buying from random people or overpaying the crummy dealership ones.

>I'd rather buy new/cert pre owned since it has warranties and yeah it's expensive but it's a newer car than the 2004 corolla.

You AREN'T haggling on new purchases/leases?? Listen nigga, this is the auto industry. Everything should be haggled. New purchases are no exceptions. If you aren't haggling your valuation and money factor on a lease, you're gonna get taken.

>I will have a state pension since I work for the state.
>I work for the state

Inability to do math. No retirement projections or vision. No concept of markets. It all makes sense.

>it's a terrible financial decision to constantly lease
a lease is a tax write off :^)

I'll be retired by 53, thanks state employment.
>Buying a 5k or less shitmobile
>Spending what little free time I have repairing, researching, haggling with boomers, and having to know every little nook and cranny of the engine bay to buy it.
>Awful

Past 10 generations male son = dead by 70. Usually strokes or war.
>State pension + tiny 401k
I'll be fine for those X years
Haggling with the dealership is easy peasy compared to steve the I know what I got boomer selling his shit driven diabeetus hatch.

>Give me a projection of your life before you bash mine. State worker lifestyle bud.
Just wish I had gone for my masters first.

>muh free time
Spend less than 6 hours a day playing minecraft or whatever the fuck and you'll find you have plenty of time to get shit done. Fluids are largely universal and only a moron couldn't learn them in an hour. 2 max. Buying a used car is an afternoon on a weekend. An alternator takes an hour. I bet you drive to the dealer to change brake pads and oil too.

>In the end it's the same, I have a new car and paying the same, you're in the same car at the end. A car you're either going to sell to pay for a new car or trade in for one.

It's literally not you adolescent retard.

lifehacker.com/5858640/should-i-buy-or-lease-a-car

Look at the breakdown. You're paying $1300/year more to lease in a 5 year comparison. The gap widens when you keep your purchased cars for longer.

Man, people will jump through insane mental hoops to justify dumb purchases. Just admit you pay a severe premium for your 3 year car cycle. You do. The math is simple.

So it depreciation on an owned vehicle, dumbass.

Since I live in an apartment complex yeah i'm not changing my oil out there.

>this faggot going on about investing
>mfw I've made over 2 million in bitcoin in the past 5 years

Enjoy your slow gains poorfag.

if you're buying a used vehicle most of the depreciation has already happened. you'd only able to write off a lot smaller of an amount than with a lease. there's also an obvious depreciation curve that is not even close to the stability of a lease write off. so yeah go ahead and suck my cock while you're trying to write off a bunch of depreciation for your shitbox

Is it possible to cash out bitcoin?

Except you leave out the fact that ypu literally have to begin saving for your next car the moment you buy one for cash.

It’s a future cost that you are paying (into savings).

No?

Whether or not you like leasing, that market is absolutely necessary for the automotive world. I personally don't like leasing, but I can see its appeal.

yes, used to be really easy and i reget selling mine for $60 all those years ago, but now you need to prove you're you to essentially unknown e-banks that are your only options to withdraw your theoretical bitcoin riches.

regret*

so many ragretes

yes. because you pay for half the equity and walk away with nothing. leasing is among one of the most successful jew tricks in existence.
>What's that, you make 50k a year? Good goy! great news, you afford this new shiny car that costs 80% of your yearls salary. Just sign here.

>by the time i'm 50 it should be doing pretty well.
Maybe not. The country is changing and by the time you are 50, it will be well beyond the crossover point where the minority became the voting majority in the USA. They will vote for laws that change everything into a welfare state and your investments would change as well. Basically, you'll need a bigger nest egg because what you have will not keep pace with the costs that increased due to the need of those few who work to support the majority of those that don't work for more than a subsistence wage (over 50% of population projected at that time)

>you have to retire at 65
Can you afford to? Even social security doesn't think so since you are not fully vested in social security until age 67. That age will creep higher too or the number of years SS requires you to work for full potential amount availability increases. The SS formula is going to increase from 37 years working to be 40 years is what legislators are proposing. That will cause an adjustment to SS benefits and will decrease them.

>hmm maybe i can lease a car while im working abroad
>wow 600 a month is a lot for borrowing a car
>at least the price includes tax and insura--

This guy gets it. Listen to him, OP.

Watch poor uneducated Veeky Forumstist sperg our on keyword “lease”. If you want New Car every few years go for lease.