/agdg/ - Aviary Game Dev General

Stop with the fucking chicken edition

Previous Thread: New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg

> Play Demo Day 14
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Next Demo Day
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/JqsQerui

> Play Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Free 2D/3D art
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> More helpful links
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.aggydaggy.com/tools.html
youtube.com/watch?v=MLGYl1uQWVs
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2776393/
youtube.com/watch?v=Swd9d2VfQBk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i would've made a chicken op if it weren't for you meddling kids

first for gogem

webm section

xth for music bros are often willing to give away their music for free

First for 0 being a value

tools.aggydaggy.com/tools.html

If you're into SQL, let me do a progress webm for you, hang on

7th for javascript """""programmers"""""

git is so fucking comfy

>find a weird bug that wasn't there before
>I can just reset back to each commit and find out exactly where the bug started and what is causing it

Its better than html/css """"programmers""""

youtube.com/watch?v=MLGYl1uQWVs

3 basic areas archetypes that I'm relatively happy with now. Spooky forest looks crappiest because I did it first, but I can't spend forever touching them up.

Still need to do a proper water shader and fix the movement algorithm so it doesn't jerk whenever the player changes destination slightly.

>bullying frontend devs so you end up having to write CSS yourself

Very nice!
You might want to add some sfx like rustling leaves, crows, grass noises to make the enviroment feel more genuine and the walking more heavy.

love how smoothe the camera is

Too be fair, css is getting more and more advanced. You now have things like css grid and you'll probably have native sass support in the future.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend too much effort on sound and music.

When I'm playing ARPGs I'm often have the music and ambient sound turned down so I can listen to my own stuff.

Looking good though. What is going to differentiate it from other ARPGs on the market. I see the digging mechanic, but does it do anything else unique?

Thanks, and yeah that's a good idea. I know environment specific footstep noises are on the list at some point.

>When I'm playing ARPGs I'm often have the music and ambient sound turned down so I can listen to my own stuff.
kys

Can I get a quick rundown on hopoo?

>just reset back to each commit
nigga, no.

git bisect

Sorry but no action here, it's a boring turn based RPG. I didn't have any combat in that video but it does exist.

how did you find a team?

nigga it's easier to just click "reset to commit"

now I can easily set the starting point manually on maps. there.

can't see shit senpai

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2776393/

> Music and memories of associated events

Autobiographical information associated with musical melodies is evoked when we hear relevant music or when we are engaged in conversation about music or episodes and events in our life in which music has been important. Hearing music associated with our past often evokes a strong 'feeling of knowing'. We have this feeling for many songs without knowing the title or text of the songs. We are, however, better at recalling the titles of the tunes we listen to (when the tunes are instrumental) than at remembering a melody by simply reading or hearing its title. The opposite pattern occurs when remembering vocals, for which the titles of the songs are much better cues than the melodies [3]. The finding of this link between text and music, which suggests that music is encoded in semantic memory like text, is of particular importance. Many researchers believe that music is encoded in the brain by the perceptual memory system, which organizes auditory information into melodies and rhythms, rather than by the semantic memory system, which encodes meaning. Nevertheless, musical information could be associated with emotional and semantic information (associative memory), either indirectly or directly, as was shown [3], even if it is not directly related to semantic information.

I use music as an associative memory aid. When I play a game I will choose an album of around 20 songs and play them on repeat while playing. I then take those songs and put them in a big playlist.

Whenever I listen to the playlist, those specific tracks will trigger memories of the game and that engages emotions and memories of the experience - like I'm playing the game again for the first time.

When I listen to my whole playlist, I pretty much go through each of the games I have ever played in my mind and feel the same emotions I got from that game.

I remember this concept. That is a great idea.

> Do players get little card packs when they loot stuff - like hearthstone?

Why don't you do a team based system. Seems like a waste only to have one avatar. You could to the whole Divinity: Original Sin thing, but with card battles.

>not just jerking off over your playlist so you can orgasm handsfree just by listening to it again

>You could to the whole Divinity: Original Sin thing, but with card battles.
Ain't that almost Baten Kaitos ?

I don't care what you do, you're still one dumb motherfucker for suggesting that a dev shouldn't "spend too much effort on sound and music." just because you are a muteshitter.

Thanks! Yeah you'll get card packs as loot from dungeons, but I haven't implemented a loot system yet. The reason you only control one character is because it's multiplayer, the server/client stuff is already done.

new Game Maker!

I listened to Elephant by the White Stripes on repeat while doing the undersea world of Dark Cloud.

Whenever I listen to the album or play that bit of the game it instantly reminds me of the other.

Isn't that basically just a game soundtrack?

>dat deus ex music
>dose uplink songs

>Hearing music associated with our past often evokes a strong 'feeling of knowing'
There was a thread where user became an hero, and someone suggested this as the thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=Swd9d2VfQBk
and now whenever I hear it instantly puts me back in the mood from that night. Its painful but also comforting to know I'm still capable of feeling things.

>says git is comfy
>doesn't even use git bisect

Never heard of it before, had a look. Yeah that is what I was thinking except in a more XCOM way.

Except, you could have cards that interact with the environment or between team members for combos.

but what if the game is shit?
did you just ruin 20 songs?

Can you please stop with the animes? This isn't /a/.

working hard

But it clearly says /a/gdg in the thread title

Sure but where is your game?

Baten Kaitos didn't have that but it had cards that interacted with each other or transformed as the game went on (bananas becoming ripe for example). I thought that was pretty neat.

Are there any newer single-player games where the gameplay is similar to Dota and LoL? That is, you move by right clicking and have your attacks/abilites on QWER or similar. I haven't really seen anything like that t b h. And no, no Diablo, Pillars or anything like that, it's not the same thing. Just pure action.

Yeah, that is the downside.

I usually only reserved my music memory association method for games I played more than a month (WoW, PoE, EvE, Warthunder, FTL, BF2142 etc.)

>all those hidden hands

Transistor iirc

theres not single offline mobas and one that dota is spewing out is just diablo clone

4/8 it's not that bad

Dota/LoL is literally Diablo 3.

Grim Dawn plays a little like Dota/LoL. I guess the closest thing would be Torchlight/Torchlight 2.

Only three out of eight. Not that awful.

anime technology and futa?

the girl on the right should have her right hand on her hip her position is not natural

kek boku nobody was bringing that up. But you did.

Still early days but it at least does stuff now.

okay now i am adding a third font, this one is for high resolution mode

Have you acquired enough skills with gamedev that you were able to get a job? Did you profit from this in any way?

Yes but I'm presently unemployed, waiting for my ex-boss to set up a location so I can run it, and yes in a lot of ways including monetarily.

>800 dollars for console export
>800 dollars for EACH console, not all
wew

I didn't like how it looked but I guess you are right

wow CUTE!

That's her stomach though. Is that the joke?

user that's all wrong

I became a better programmer through gamedev enough that I secured my best job ever yeah.

That is nice to hear. I feel like game dev is actually a perfect thing for me to do as a hobby, since I pretty much do 3D, music, programming etc. separately anyway. I can put all of that into practice on a game project I guess.

i meant like this

> You should pay me for this shit

Reposting:

Need some help.
My code checks the square of the character's vector, to check that it isn't bigger than 1.This prevents the character from going faster diagonally.

The problem I'm having is that when the character jumps, it stutters each time it reaches >1f, obviously because it's taking into account the Y value too.
What would be a fix for this?

I've learned about programming in years of amateur gamedev dabbling because I just suck too much at it, I'm too slow and I can't get the hang of it. I still wanna make something, but I'm done pretending I'm gonna learn it and gain any kind of competence.

What would I do without you, user

What are some games with good inventory management UI?

practice makes perfect

I mean I haven't. Fuck.

you might as well bite the bullet and buy all of them for 1500

Learn general programming before game programming.
Tank a textbook and you'll have the fundamentals of how high level languages work and how OOP works.

If you want to learn the basic logic of game programming use a graphical based one like Construct 2.

Game Maker doesn't get shitposted nearly enough. Fags save all their butthurt for Unity.

>practice makes perfect
No, precisely, it doesn't. Heavy studying makes perfect.

luv u
Thank you everyone, we are getting there

>just want to model
>using blender
>oh it's good
>trying to work with materials, normal maps etc.
>why is this shit so overcomplicated
>thinking about what will happen if i want to do more than just simple modelling

will it become a nightmare?

It's already known as a shit engine even by GM users.

Game Maker doesn't get any praise, people just use it to get shit done

Unity wins.

Knowing how to use git for basic projects was probably enough to get me hired as an intern.

the behavior of light is a complicated phenomenon and you need a bunch of shit to fake it reasonably well. if you don't want to deal with all the work that goes into making convincing materials then go for an artstyle that does not depend on realistic lighting.

arm looks laughably short now

it's not good enough to trigger anyone

It's both, you retard.

it's crazy how hoppo is gonna win. he just makes good games. its like even after he could have quit and gotten lazy when he got millions of dollars, he didn't. and that's why he is very respectable

Isn't it that you will have to recreate materials in your engine of choice anyway? You don't need to do it in Blender.

thats one tiny hand

Well I imagine if I were to make millions I would get extremely bored and depressed if I didn't keep making games.

That is so true, knowledge of git is a must (and I hate it, though).

(Accidentaly quoted you in previous post btw)

Why did you give me a (you)? Hit send too soon?

t. Notch

Now I'm just getting carried away.

This art stuff is addictive.

I'm not very familiar with the names here. Hoppo is that guy who made Risk of Rain, right? Did he make that game alone or? How long did it take?

This. I won't let myself end up like Notch

I'm trying to do the interface for my game and I don't know what I'm doing.

Thoughts on adding a blur shader for the background when the inventory is on? I'm not sure if that kind of effect goes well with pixel art.

which of the software licenses should I choose for my free and hopefully collaborated project.

I feel like I don't want the Linux tier eternal free software. I think that a license which makes the project free and open source, but permits its derivatives to be whatever, should be reasonable.

I need help here.

I never tried to get a job related to programming, but I can read a dozen or so languages without any issue, design non-game related things and so on.

I just feel like programming as a job in a industry setting is very different than how I work as a hobbyist.