How many tires do you buy at one time 4 or 5?

How many tires do you buy at one time 4 or 5?
I have heard that for AWD you should get five and rotate the spare in because if you need to buy a new tire after half the tread is gone, it will fuck up your transfer case.
Also, will these KO2s fuck up my gas mileage?

Other urls found in this thread:

lesschwab.com/learn/article/replace-all-4-tires-on-your-awd-vehicle
ipatools.com/ipablog/fleet/the-butterfly-effect-on-tire-maintenance/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>road noise the tyre

I have the older version and I dont mind the noise.
The new version is supposed to be much quieter still

I had a set of these and they hardly had any, I replaced them with MT/Rs and they're fucking obnoxious.

I just buy four. Beefy tires like the BFG AT and the mud-terrains I buy never really get damaged or ruined unless you do rock crawling and fuck up, or if you're unlucky enough to hit something like an absurdly long and thick screw, bar of iron and whatnot.

I prefer to just regularly look over my tires, and if something was to happen and I needed to replace it I'd see if I could find a used one online with roughly the same wear, or just bite the bullet and get two new ones

If you live in a place where you have terrain that would actually allow a tire to be "quiet" then you don't really need BFG AT's

Kill yourself, jeep wrangler driver

If you care that much about road noise, then maybe all terrains in general are not for you.

>or just bite the bullet and get two new ones
I thought with AWD you had to get all four

I can't say for certain about all things, but on my own vehicle (2003 Hilux) everyone I've talked to has said that its fine as long as the thread depth matches per axle, while having different depths on the front axle and rear axle doesn't make much difference

I don't claim to be completely right about this tho, I'm no expert

Hmm that would be much better if true.
I will look into it

Some internetting shows Les Squab says that you need to replace all 4

That article/photo is about dually-tires, but the point stands, yes

Thankfully we have differentials that also help with stuff like this, and will further help towards running different thread depths front and back

It would not be fun trying to run that with a locked diff tho

No it was from the AWD page.
You cant have more than a quarter inch difference front to back

lesschwab.com/learn/article/replace-all-4-tires-on-your-awd-vehicle

Here is where I found it; ipatools.com/ipablog/fleet/the-butterfly-effect-on-tire-maintenance/

And this is why I specified that I am talking about/from experience with my own vehicle; a Hilux with a transfer case. Its also why I said I cant say for certain about all things because cars and systems are so different

With that said I will ofcourse also say that I do not recommend or condone driving with different thread depths - all four should always be as equal as possible

>not buying General Grabbers
baka

I have a set of grabbers and I like the tread but the sidewall is pretty damn thin. you have to air the fuck out of them to get any rigidity and even then they are spongy with a heavy vehicle

How could it mess up you transfer case that's why differentials exist to compensate for wheel turning at different speeds.

They can only compensate for a short time not 3000 miles

bimp

No one here is a wrangler user, stop projecting

Awd and 4wd isn't the same thing, you know.

KO2 are fuckin sweet.
Mileage is just fine, no noticeable difference between them and standard highway tires... Then again my truck gets 15.45mpg average. ymmv, literally.