I really want a Celica (2002~2005), not got much cash...

I really want a Celica (2002~2005), not got much cash, but was wondering what kinds of things to watch out for with these?

Any glaring build issues/weak points they have?

Other cars i'm looking at are Mazda MX-5's and Toyota MR2's, just for some fun.

i was looking at them to since they go fairly cheap... apparently oil burners though.

saw a pretty good MR2 for only £500. Shame im 2poor and stuck with just my corsa for now

If u want a more practical car, look into a matrix xrs, same engine as the Celica but a hatchback

Nah, i'm definitely looking for something with a more sporty appearance. I've had a hatchback for ages now (Citroen C1, efficient little runaround, zippy but not really fun at all).

£500?! Nice.
The one i saw was around £1500

People misshift the fuck out of them so work through the gears a few times on the test drive up and downshifts.

Also the sunroof after the redesign was real glass. the first style was plastic and they look like shit if you dont polish them onthe regular.

Dont get a gts with the auto. its litterally slower than a gt with an auto because it's a torqueless wonder. a GTS with manual is best

just get a clean stock civic for 2500-3k.

Only get the ones with the 2zz engine and manual gearbox. Everything else is shit.

1zz = shortblock problem.

Ex-owner spotted.

I blew mine up thanks to going from 3rd to 2nd at 80... tach needle went past 9k.

Only the weak shit 1zz burns oil. The 2zz GTS model is superior

2002 1zz's burn oil.

Other than that they are built like a tank.

The 2zz is amazing

I was thinking of getting one as first car but now I think I'd fuck it up

1ZZ was fixed in the 03+ models. Bad piston rings let them burn shit tons of oil.
2ZZ is a damn good engine, but def needs a 5-6 speed either way.
Buuuuut, 1ZZ has some nice aftermarket options and a lower stock CR. Im ready to boost mine.

>I blew mine up thanks to going from 3rd to 2nd
How do you even do that? Assuming you intended 4th, it's just straight down from 3rd isn't it? Or is the pattern weird?

If it's a GT and not a GTS, watch the 5 speed manuals. They are very picky with gear oil and don't like to be slammed into gear.
Also, if it is a GT, don't expect amazing performance in a straight line, however they do handle pretty good stock, and are excellent with coils and proper tires.

The GTS is so much better though. The 2ZZ-GE engine is a blast to beat on all day and I've never had major problems with mine. The 1ZZ-FE in the GT is adequate for what it is.

Watch out for the oil pans in these. They do not have a baffled sump sonif you go hard in the bends you may run the oil pick up dry and do some damage (learned this from experience)

I'd recommend the Celica over an MRS/MR2 or MX-5 based on how much more practical it is

he shared this anecdote because of the comment he was responding to. The guy mentioned how people mis-shift the fuck out of 7th gen Celicas. This would imply wonky shift gating

Early 2ZZ's had issues with the lift bolts for engaging the aggressive high rpm cam.

get an MX5 or MRS
skip the FF, unless you really want it and its your first car in which case go ahead, you'd enjoy it propably.

The shift gate is very small in 7th gen Celica. When you first drive one it feels very finicky.

Get the Miata or the MR2 man, the Celica is front wheel drive and you can't have any fun cornering.

Just get the 6th gen, man. 3SGE is the ultimate unbeatable reliable engine and the car doesn't look like a ricer shit but instead looks like a wonderful rally car.

Celica, Integra, FTO or MX-6?

Integra

> run the oil pick up dry
What do you mean?

Ive heard the stock transmissions have been reported as having issues going into gear. Probably due to the small shift gates, but theres times where my shifter feels almost in gear, but the trans hasnt caught yet. Ive started putting a little bit more force i to my shifts and havent had this happen in a while.
Dont thinm anyone said lift bolts yet, you have to rev to 6k or take the vavle cover off to see if theyre broken though.

God Veeky Forums is such a trash board

Idk why Veeky Forums acts like they're going to drift in every corner if they have a RWD car, I think they watch too much Initial D and they act like the MR2 is gods gift when it's just an average Toyota.

Noted, good advice.

Celica is also technically a hatchback.

i really like the way the op pic looks, the "action package" celicas look awful

Definitely integra

Its a liftback

Prelude > Celica

celica GT-S and especially 2zz swapped MR-Ss with stock oil pans can turn hard enough that the pickup doesn't get enough oil to lubricate the crankshaft bearings iirc

The oil pan in 1ZZ and 2ZZ engines is not baffled. So if you do any hard cornering the oil in the pan is just gonna slosh about, and if you're oil level is low you run the chance of starving the oil pick up dry.
My first 9th gen Corolla did this and ended up with a spun bearing on the track.
My second 9th gen Corolla has a baffled moroso oil pan and it's one of the best modifications you can do to a 1ZZ/2ZZ

Yo I got the same motor in my lolrolla.

It goes hard, burns oil though because it's pre 03. Fuck it, I've done more burnouts in this thing than is reasonable, probably accounts for half the km's on the clock

Nigga y not a gt-4 tho

Get the 2zz and swap it into a MRS later. It's what me and a friend are doing.