Are 1-man car restoration projects just a meme?

are 1-man car restoration projects just a meme?

yes

Most seem to be veterans of multiple prior restorations so they've already developed a lot of skills and acquired most of the tools needed. It's not impossible to start and finish such a project for your first time but the odds of your becoming discouraged by the learning curve are greatly increased.

As someone doing just that, I hope to all fuck that they're not.

I'll be damned if I don't get to race that shit one day.

only if don't have a garage, and are a bitch.

Just don't think that it will be cheap or easy. It takes a lot of passion and money.

If you leave it in your garage and never touch it for years, then yes, it just a meme. Of you actually work on it, it is a real hobby and source of satisfaction.

Nope. Just start with a vehicle worth saving.

My dad was doing it for years before I grew up enough to help him out. He still does projects alone now that i've been gone in college.
So its doable if you know what your doing.

Ive been slowly semi restoring a couple of cars over the last few months. It helps if you actually have a vehicle you love.

Cool guy

My grandfather fully restored a 1949 international KB-2 pickup, 95% by himself with only the actual inside bed and tailgate being done by someone else

Took him fucking 20 years but he still did it

He's a big guy

vs. what, a team? It's not difficult to restore a car. I took mine down to bare metal, cut the tail section off and welded one in from a parts car, did all the body work/paint without having a garage. People fall into the same stupid traps and end up with a bunch of unfinished projects. Here is how to actually finish a restoration

1. ONLY DO ONE CAR AT A TIME. Don't buy a second "parts" car that you decide you also want to fix up because it's too nice to destroy. Don't grab another project that you are going start "soon."
2. Do not put the car in a state where it won't run/move until you have ALL parts, ALL tools and map out enough time to get it running again. Don't yank the engine out while you save up for heads, or cut the floor out while you save for a welder. There's no reason to start unless you are 100% sure you can finish
3. Start with a complete car. Don't buy someone elses failed project even though they have "$10k invested" and are selling it for $3k. Starting with a complete, running car will always be cheaper and faster no matter what you plan to do with it.

is this a pasta

No but it can be

did he kill that one trans am? the yellow one?

>mfw my dad was into trans ams and got me into them too

Yes, he got crushed on the highway funny enough some of those parts are getting used for my project because he never threw anything away.
Delete this

>Yes, he got crushed on the highway
Rip. At least it lives on

Trans am Dave ?

Many Corvairs ~ nice!

I just finished a frame off. I tried to do as much as I could on my own, but quickly needed the help of friends who had more experience.

The time between purchasing the car and driving it to it's first show was five years. Most of the advice given online is bullshit, people think they can buy a rusted piece of scrap for 2k, put 5k into it and sell it for 30k. This is what leads people to abandon projects.

Mine has been a 12 year project thus far. I learn as I go. It takes dedication and the willingness to fix a mistake when you really screw up.

Don't BUY a rotted rusty car. Get one that at least runs and drives somewhat. For 95% of people it is a meme. If you have to ask you probably can't do it. I have enough tools for a small mechanic shop but can't do paint or body work.

>needed the help of friends

And this is were I'd come to a dead end.

Perhaps you can join a local club? Lots of good resources there. What kind of car are you looking to work on?

no. just no

have a garage
have alternate transport
have a shit load of money and time
often people have either money or time its rare to have both

take the path of lest resistance
don't trust positive reviews they don't tell you anything about the product
and only show you the 1% of it that works

> I broke all three of these rules
> One car is from a scrapyard and was already gutted for most parts
>The other has had a bunch done to it and the chassis is plated to bits
>Thinking of buying another one from the scrapyard just for the gearbox layshaft

It's getting there though, might actually finally get the chassis sprayed before Christmas