For a first time manual owner, is it better to get a 5 or 6 speed? What's the difference...

For a first time manual owner, is it better to get a 5 or 6 speed? What's the difference? I get it for the most part but I'm still a little confused. And what's the pros/cons of a 6 speed? There's a list of cars I'm considering but I don't know if I should get a 5 or 6

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rgpMtrxn3Mw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Doesn't really matter tbqh.

more is better. don't get a car because of the number of gears it has though

Then why is there two and why do some trims have 5 or 6? Like the rsx and type s
Why?

Depends on the vehicle more so than the number of gears. (Because of how "tall" the gears are) for example. A jeep wrangler, inline 6, 6 speed. U can be in 6th gear at 35mph.

But other vehicles, u will only see 6th on a highway.

>whats the difference
One more gear. This means you can go faster. Also means the gears are closer together in ratio than a 5 speed. Cars that have these are usually more expensive as well because the aforementioned ability to go faster is usually realized in other aspects and that means more money.

If you can afford the car, do a lot of highway miles, and don't mind possibly having to shift a small amount more at lower speeds, get the 6 speed. Otherwise get the 5 speed, but you'll have a blast either way so I'd base your final decision on different factors.

more is not always better, if you have enough power less is better.

what exactly determines that?
different factors like what?

6 speeds are generally reserved for the sportier, expensive, high trim level models of vehicles (or bad cars pretending to be sporty, or just new model year cars). You will see 6 speeds on cars like the VW R32 and Dodge Challenger, but also the Honda Accord and Ford Focus.

5 speed is basically the industry standard and is perfectly fine for 99% of driving situations. It is not "worse" than a 6-speed if that's what you're thinking. Nobody will poke their head into your car and be like "dope car.....except, ooohhh you got the 5-speed instead of the 6-speed". Oftentimes a 6-speed is only marginally better than a 5-speed because they use different gear ratios that "max out" around the same speed (so to speak).

Do NOT base a vehicle buying decision on a 5 vs. 6 speed transmission.

More practical things like condition, mileage, how each car looks, drivetrain, engine, affordability. Things that (in my opinion) are more important factors when buying a car.

Out of curiosity, what cars were you comparing that had the 5 vs 6 speeds?

Right now the accord v6, civic si, rsx and type s, celica gt and gts(kinda shying away from it tho). Don't really know what else to consider but that's it so far.

All of those options are going to be fun for you (I'd lean towards the si or rsx for sportiness) so 6 vs 5 speed isn't really a huge issue in my opinion. Some of the aforementioned determinants would weigh more heavily on my mind when choosing between them, as well as handling.

I will say this though, having driven a 5 speed for years now I wouldn't trade it for a 6 speed unless I was doing a ton of highway miles (6th gear will help keep rpms down and save gas) or had a lot more power (ie different car). I love the simplicity of only having 5 gears and for spirited driving you're only going to use 2 or 3 gears so having wider ratios is a plus in that situation.

sauce?

It's hard for me to pick which one, at this point I'm just saving money and keeping an eye on CL to get an idea of what each one costs. I'm leaning towards the SI as the type s seems too pricey for me, given I could have an SI for the money. I could get a cheaper base rsx but I want something that's really gonna make me want to drive and have fun. The accord seems nice too and the interior seems really comfy. I dunno I guess I'm just gonna have to drive each one and pick from there because I'm still not sure

One of my favorite videos.
I like to slap my balls really hard in time with her slapping her friends ass, then fap like crazy the rest of the time.
I watch a looped version and see if I cum first (usually very hard) or if I can't take the pain to my balls and have to stop.

I'd recommend everyone give it a try.
youtube.com/watch?v=rgpMtrxn3Mw

>One more gear. This means you can go faster.
unless you're some drag speeding faggot who needs 20 miles to reach top speed lmao no
it's used to save fuel and make car quieter at highway.

If you don't know why you need a sixth speed, you don't need a sixth speed.

>One more gear. This means you can go faster.
I have 6 gears, I can only reach my top speed in 5th.

oh.

ok.

different trim levels == different engines, which sometimes can mean different transmission packages.

6 speed gearboxes have more gears. It's like getting a bike with 10 or 12 speeds; most of the gears are close enough to the same that it doesn't mean much, but some are slightly different and some people genuinely care about that; others just want the one with more because it's more fancy.

Honestly, there's not a huge difference between 5 and 6 speeds as a general rule; it has more to do with the reliability of the transmission in question than it does with any absolutist statement regarding whether it's better to have 5 or 6 gears.

Example: e36/e46 BMWs have different trim levels where higher trim levels come with a 6 speed while lower trims come with a 5 speed. The 5 speed can have premature wear issues related to the shift pins, while the 6 speed doesn't seem to have the same problems due to design differences.

Meanwhile, in cars like the Evo and some Subarus, the 5-speed trans is preferable because the synchros are more durable than in the 6-speed alternatives for the same model vehicle.

Google the specific package and engine-trans combo of the vehicle you want to buy and see if there are known issues with it, then decide if you're willing to accept/live with those potential problems.

Definitely drive them all. You'll get a good feel for how the transmissions are too and you can see how you like 5 vs 6 on the road from a day to day use standpoint

True, but by and large a 5 speed is going to run out of gear faster than a 6 speed. I did say that if he did a lot of highway miles he should consider it more seriously for that reason you stated.

6 speed means you have more speeds to choose from. kinda like on a lawnmower where you can choose between the turtle and the hare. that's a two speed. 6 speed just means you can go much faster than a 5 speed.

back in the day Ford & Chevy listed their cars as being 4 speed, when really they had 3 + a reverse gear.

this is by far the best post on this entire website.

kudos to you user.

Usually 5th is 1:1 and 6th is overdrive

>you can choose between the turtle and the hare
It's a fucking spectrum.

Cars with a 6 speed gearbox are more optimised for the highway driving, not city driving. The 6th gear tends to be long and made for cruising at high speeds.
Cars with 5 gears can do that too but they arent very optimised for highway speeds.
In the city however, the 5 speeds tend to have a shorter gearing so they will accelerate faster from a standstill, but inferior to a 6 speed when it comes to high speed.

tl:dr You do alot of high speed driving (highways and shit) - get a 6 speed. You mostly do city driving - get a 5 speed.

That being said, short geared 6 speeds are fun as fuck in the city, and are absolute god tier in the mountains/canyons
>tfw 3200rpm at 75mph in 6th gear

You've got a better chance of getting a cruising gear with a 6 speed. I routinely got better mileage in my 2010 SRT8 Challenger than my 2006 G35 because in 6th it turned something like 1500 RPM at highway speeds while the Datsun was almost twice that.

There isn't too much difference desu.

For example the Porsche boxster comes with a 5 speed and the S comes with a 6.

The 5 speed is the prefered box actually. The gear ratios in are spaced so that you spend more time in the power band at street speed and thus have more fun.

The S despite having 6 gears has ratios that are a little more track oriented and thus at street speed you spend more time shifting then enjoying the bigger engine.

Its something you'll have to experience. Both top gears are pretty much the same for highway MPG optimization. Its just a matter of how many shifts you want to get there.

On the track most of the lap is usually in 3rd or 4th so but the 6 gear box gives you another slice of MPH with power. Its a small and technical difference.

Basically it only matters to 1% of drivers.

More or less no difference.

On my old six speed manual, I would often skip second and fourth anyways. They were only needed depending on engine load at certain speeds.

Five speeds usually cruise at high rpm on the highway. The sixth is ultra high for mileage. But is useless for acceleration usually.

>Meanwhile, in cars like the Evo and some Subarus, the 5-speed trans is preferable because the synchros are more durable than in the 6-speed alternatives for the same model vehicle.
isn't that because, in the evo 9 at least, the 5 speed and 6 speed use the same transmission housing, they just crammed an extra gear into the 6 speed?