Never gave a shit about diesel until I pondered the question: how to heck would i survive Kim Jong Un's EMP

Never gave a shit about diesel until I pondered the question: how to heck would i survive Kim Jong Un's EMP

Obviously, the less electronics, the better in this scenario. My question is, if an EMP was detonated and it did wipe out the power grid, and somehow I survived but had an old diesel truck,

>What would need to be replaced
>how would i get glowplugs to work
>what is the bare minimum required to go

For the last question, what I mean is, take away everything but the wheels, the chasis and the engine/transmission. What is the bare minimum that would have to be assembled to drive? Is that even a realistic question?

I was wondering also, are there any companies manufacturing vehicles like this? Like, a small truck that you store parts for in some kind of shield, and then bust them out and you're ready to go in the event that you need to get the fuck out?

Also, good choices for diesel trucks appreciated. Love my subaru wagon, but I don't think it'll serve me much good in a survival situation

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RxKh2gyva98
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you go back to the MK1 Golf era up to the MK3 golf (up to 1995 only when they started doing tdi instead of td)
All the diesels on them could be started with a 9v battery.

The only thing the battery does, is when the key is turned open the fuel solenoid and crank the starter.
You can skip the key by putting a 9v battery onto the fuel pump wire and earthing it, this will open the solenoid. Then bump start it.

This is the most basic form - I'm not sure what an EMP will wipe out, will it kill simple electro magnet solenoids and a plain 9v battery? If so, i guess you could replace the solenoid with a manual plunger and lock or something.

Everything else on the engine is purely mechanical.

This is probably true of most early diesels

Just to add too, glow plugs aren't imperative but they help a fuck load. My old diesel caddy with no working glow plugs took like 30sec to start

Interesting, I didn't even think about the euro diesel cars. We don't see much of those in America, at least not where I am. Mileage alone would make those a top contender for owning in a shtf scenario. Might be a bit pressed for a bed, but I'm sure a toe hook could accomplish a lot.

isnt it possible to start a 300d with a disconnected battery by just rolling down a hill ?

Old humvee my friend
also keep some batteries and other electronic equipment in a faraday cage

suzuki samurai with lots of simple mods

I forgot about this combo...
So the AAZ engine is the last 1.9 diesel that VW made that was purely mechanicl.

Coupled with a little suzuki. I think we're onto something here

youtube.com/watch?v=RxKh2gyva98

As long as you have access to some electricity, a turbine is the way to go.
Turbines must always be under a load while running so they can't just idle like a piston engine, but they burn literally anything. They could give less of a shit what is being thrown into them and they basically make the same amount of power. This is all because is compresses the gas to a ridiculous pressure. This also means that turbines still work very well in areas with very low oxygen levels like high atmosphere or post apocalyptic situations. They also require very little matinence and are known for being very reliable.
The M1Abrams uses a turbine engine for this reason as they know troops may not always have access to proper fuel. So just find some fryer oil or even crude oil, pour that shit in and keep going.

i guess if you have the time to wrench on something like this. I'd rather go with something stock that I can also find parts for easily. In a perfect scenario, I'd have spares of every part that would wear out to keep it running. If they don't make this motor anymore, I don't see myself wanting to use this as a SHTF vehicle. A daily though, this thing is awesome.

>Jet turbine
>very little maintenance

gas turbine != jet engine

Well like maybe you should specify that man

A diesel with a mechanical fuel injection and pump requires no electronics. Its just a hunk of metal and gears. You have to start it somehow though, the starter and/or solenoid might be toast.

Or just a multifuel injection system, like on military trucks. You can even burn used engine oil and vegetable oil. Some say you can even burn vodka and high grade rum (60%+) but I have my doubts about that.

While an EMP may stall a vehicle that's in active operation (and this could be problematic, say, on the highway), testing has shown that EMP exposure is unlikely to permanently disable a computer-controlled vehicle.

Military spec is going to require that combat gear not be down for any length of time, because that would put its users at an obvious strategic disadvantage. The lack of such shielding in consumer-grade electronics isn't going to cause everything to instantly shit the bed and never work again.

I'd be more concerned about some gook hackers driving cars into oncoming traffic/off cliffs, or taking down the power grid, or some other bullshit.

Suzuki samurai is for nu-male cuckolds. The vitara is the actual offroad choice

>Suzuki samurai is for numale cuckholds

You fockin wot m8, I'll hook you in the gabba I swear on me mum

Vitara owner here, the fuk you talking aboot? Do you live in Commiefornia where they're used by hipsters looking for something old and cute and somewhat rare?

The situation is the complete opposite to that where I live. People with Samurais routinely take them to the NASTY places that not even the fuckers with Wranglers (equipped with winches and lockers of course) dare to take a quick glance at

The closest thing to what you're talking about would be the Jimny, which enjoys great popularity among women because it's so fucking kawaii and smol, so they're easy to park and all that. However, I have seen my fair share of the little fuckers with home-made steel bumpers made out of literally 1/2 inch steel scraps, covering not only the whole front, but also most of the underside, too

I'm a spic tho, and we have nasty roads to traverse, so it makes sense to get something else than a messican lowrider, especially if it's been raining a lot and there's a foot and a half of water collected on the streets, kek

Just don't be retarded nigger

True, Samurais are pretty huge in the off road scene around here, while Vitaras are mostly family SUVs or douche-mobiles (3 door ver.)

lel okay