Manual tips

Switching over to manual from auto
I can drive and whatnot alright and have got rev matching down packed now

Question for you guys that I can't find an answer for anywhere
>see red lights and am sitting in say 4th gear
>clutch in switch to third, rev match a little so it doesnt lurch
>release clutch and let car brake from being in the lower gear
>do the same thing for 3rd to 2nd gear before finally stopping and putting into neutral

Am I killing the clutch doing this? Or is it fine?

does no one here know either?

looks like the search continues

>approaching red light
just down shift to third and coast, after that just put it in neutral.

Don't downshift at all. Just go to neutral and coast the entire time.

I'm not going to say it is bad... But it certainly isn't good.

The proper method is what you're doing, OP. You're supposed to leave the car in gear in case you need to make an emergency maneuver.

Although it does in fact add wear to the clutch, I wouldn't be concerned. As long as you're not slipping each gear to make it smoother, you'll be fine.

You're doing it correctly. Why would you be killing the clutch? If you're rev matching or double clutching and not being violent about it.

I drove a Nissan SE30 pickup to 180k miles on the original clutch and I downshifted every time I stopped.

It's the technically correct method.
But you can also lazyfag by coasting in 4th and applying brakes, then switching to neutral before full stop (since you know it's a red light and guaranteed stop)

Downshifting through all gears is "proper" because you are in full control the whole time, and faster if light switches to green before you get there

>Not putting it in neutral and braking

FUCKING IDIOTS

You're doing it right, the clutch is a wear item for a reason.
And if you rev match you won't be wearing the clutch much anyway.

This is absolutely good practice and you shouldn't stop doing it. Leave the car in neutral when you stop at a light because if you get run into your call will have the ability move and reduce damage done to you.

If you keep it in gear and get run into, your natural reaction will be to release all pedals causing the engine to stall, leaving yourself in danger.

>notice truck careening towards you in rearview, it's right behind you
>chad OP makes it out of the way because he's already in gear despite having been driving manual for a fraction of the time you have
>you notice truck
>fumble into gear
>mis-shift
>mash accelerator
>car happily revs "you're a fucking retard" to you
>you die
>satan has a special level of hell for people giving bad advice on Veeky Forums
>it's /r9k/
>you're forced to browse /r9k/ for the rest of your life

don't do that, OP

>/threat/
downshifting to brake with the gears/clutch was only a thing in 2001 fnf movie that was cool for ricers doing it in every redlight and corners

Nigga learn to drive a car then come back and tell us your sorry for giving bad advise

iirc i was told in car school that you are supposed to use the brakes as little as possible, letting the engine do it for you by slowly and successively lowering the gears

>car school

It's not even a ridiculous thing to say, it just got me right in the humerus, I guess.

>if you get run into your call will have the ability move and reduce damage done to you.
That's absolutely wrong and stupid.

What you want is to be braking hard in case someone runs into the back of you, so that your car moves less from the impact.

This will cause more damage to your car, but the car suddenly jerking forward is what causes damage to YOU, and you want to minimize that as much as possible.

I keep it in gear and when the car is around 800rpm or so I put it in neutral

>not coasting while braking.

I mean. I get it if you wanna practice downshifting or if you wanna hypermill but honestly its not that hard.

>wasting gas to slow down when there is an entire component of the car specifically made for this job

Just buy an auto lol

obvious bait is obvious
>not upshifting as you slow down
nice try

You don't actually understand what's going on when you let off the gas pedal, do you?

>double clutching and not being violent about it.
boy
This reminds me how hard it's not to look like a sperg to normies if you want to double clutch downshift all the time.

you do not do that.

>be in neutral, coasting to a stop
>notice truck careening
>throw it in second and accelerate away

Wow so hard.

>ever fumbling trying to shift gears
>not having a car that revs to 7500

>rpm thingy only go up
>i no press gassy foot thing so engine dont use more

I appreciate the serious responses greatly, really was the only thing I was questioning myself on

audible laffed reading this, however it also answered my Q