School me on Subaru Veeky Forums

How are old Subaru's Veeky Forums? I heard about them but know too much about the specifics about them. I've heard things like boxer engines being garbage. their transmissions being bad, but some good things as well.

What is the truth about Subaru Veeky Forums?

The boxer engine is a matter of preference, but the transmissions tend to be bulletproof. Plus you have AWD for those nasty winter storms, and Subaru pioneered AWD so they're just about as good as it gets in that regard. Older models with their skinny little tires and peppy engines are serious fun in the snow.

they are common cars, you could try to test drive one and see for yourself

wtf
the transmissions are literally the most common failure points in non-STIs
AWD is not even remotely necessary for winter

Awesome to drive, boxer sucks to do head work but it's worth it. Mechanical awd is god tier. Transmissions are glass though, don't WOT launch.

>the transmissions are literally the most common failure points in non-STIs
You mean the most failure "prone" on STI's when in reality you get a bunch of retarded boy racers slam shifting and half assing their shifts through every gear every day then bitch and cry when their shit lunches. Instead of blaming their poor driving habits they blame subaru

>I've never been in a real winter
>yea it dusted in my area, thats a real winter

my friend had a transmission that was completely trashed after 50k on a 2007 WRX. avoid that 5 speed.

>sti 6 speed & ej257

pretty good

What? you mean WRXs transmissions. Im running 600wheel through my STI on the stock trans and it holds perfectly after plenty of hard pulls.

Main failure in STIs are the ringlands.

For the record I am specifically talking about 2004 and prior likely automatic sub $2000 subaru's in the northeast. No wrx or sexually transmitted infections for me

>Main failure in STIs are the ringlands.
the ringlands because people hoon and WOT the living fuck out of their cars and then when it fails from abuse they blame subaru for their shit driving.

First it was "muh head gaskets" then it was "muh glass trannies" then "muh wingwans"

the engines are shit.
awd is a meme.

>memes and memes

Go test drive a BH5 legacy wagon. I miss mine everyday

it's not a meme. flat engines are inferior to inline.

No they aren't, the lower center of gravity is king in rally

I live in the snowiest city in the US, I've gotten by just fine for well over a decade with an open diff RWD car. Good snows and common sense are all you need.

>I live in the snowiest city in the US
I'm sure you do

>i've been doing great with x w/ a y
nah you're shit I'm sure you're driving your shit miata with a worn out diff through the winter for years

good as rally car. shit as road car. all you need to know

>baseless opinions and memes

>hurr durr my daily commute is rallying
subaru hasn't done very well overall.

>comparing rally to daily driving based on literally nothing but memes
>draw baseless connections then assume I implied them
stay mad meme lord

Ok, even though I do, and why the fuck would I drive a shit ass miata?

>I do I swear
>everything I say is true, believe me

ive owned 3 of them. NOT A MEME

>please believe me

I live in Fort McMurray you ignorant nigger
AWD is a meme

yea, because your friend's experience is the conclusive evidence that Subaru manual transmission is bad, amirite?

The 2.5NA engines from that generation(all Subarus) had shit headgaskets from the factory

Make sure you account for the cost of a HG job in the price or that they have a service receipt of it being done

Symmetrical AWD is better than FWD-based AWD, but I would prefer a rearwards biased system that was 100% rear all the time until loss of traction was detected.

Boxer engines sound like shit imo, no matter the cylinder count. Their only advantages are their relatively compact package compared to l4s and the low center of gravity that they create from being relatively flat.

I dislike the way that newer WRX/STIs look. I actually really liked the way that the STI wing looked. The new STI looks like a CTR with downs.

The transmissions, like any AWD car, do not take kindly to being boy-raced. Slam shifts and general fuck-ups are an easy way to brick your transmission.

They're decent cars, but their practicality, ostentatious looks, performance, and reliability have drawn in the typical Instagram dude-bro "enthusiast" who buys the car just to hard park. They generally poorly modify their cars with things such as roof spoilers, awful tints, e-bay bolt-ons, and of course, (((stance))) and its associated faggotry. Due to this, used WRX/STIs in good condition are essentially nonexistent for a reasonable price. They suffer from something akin to drift tax with S13s and S14s, which I like to call vape tax.

Tl;dr: Subaru is shit and fuck them. God, I hate Subaru faggots so much.

i lived in alaska for 2.5 years. my daily was a manual genesis coupe with dunlop wintermaxxes and traction and stability permanently disabled. drove it at least 6 days a week 40 miles a day whether it was 85 in the summer or -40 with every inch of road coated in ice and snow in the winter. i never got into an accident either at fault or not, and never went off the road. i could count on 1 hand how many times ive gotten stuck and half were in my driveway during breakup.

you absolutely do not 'need' all wheel drive, you need good tires and to git gud. fgt.

audi pioneered full time 4 wheel drive in the late 70s/early 80s. Subaru didnt have it until like the late 80s/ early 90s

Boxer engines are complete junk, when i worked in a shop we had our share come in for headgaskets and other times you could see oil leaking from the headgaskets and you just wiped it off because fuck calling for that shit

the only Subarus i will and have owned are the ones with a straight 4 engine like Justy, Sambar, Pleo, etc. i have a 91 Sambar and a 97 Sambar and theyre far better than Kei trucks any other manufacturer made. Boxer engines however are complete garbage

i live in Edmonton, go scoop up some of the GC8 and GF8 sitting with a fucked tranny or bad engine for $3k. Boxers are junk and how anyone can argue weight balance in trade for engine issues constantly is retarded

Mitsubishi pioneered AWD over 70 years ago, Subaru made the first Kei truck and if you want to count 4x4 as AWD they were there decades ago with Sambar

>This

AWD won't magically veer you in the right direction in snow. In fact, when shit gets rough (read blizzards) most cars in the ditch are equipped with AWD because people fall for all the meme magic advertizing about AWD being a safety feature...

yeah but when youre stuck you can actually get out. i had a 2wd 80s Datsun pickup 5spd with open rear diff that i would constantly get stuck in when there was a blizzard. once the frame snapped on that truck it was the last 4x2 i ever owned, every truck since has been 4x4 and saved my ass

4x4 and AWD are for getting your ass out of trouble not going further in

Muh engine issues. Except for the head gasket meme and the sparkplug meme they are pretty solid engines.

I wanna get a wrx limited because i want a fun but economical shit box to drive with some decent tech. I am not vaper, fedora tipper, kekistani fag, meme master or beta here. I just want a good fun but quick dd. Wat do Veeky Forums

between an wrx (non-sti) and a saab 9-3 aero which would be better to daily in all seasons?

what's the best subie you can get for 10k?