TIRES!

How much does warranty on tires typically cost?
How much are you willing to pay?

>tire warranty
why do I care? I buy them and they last however long they last and then I get new ones.

Not gonna lie I just have an auto class project and can't find an answer on any website

When I bought my car I think the wheel & tire warranty came out to be something like $300-400. Covers all 4, one wheel/tire alone would cost something like $1200 to replace if it was completely fucked so it's worth it. At first I felt like I got ripped off for something I didn't need but then I ran over a large road boulder, one wheel got completely fucked, and it was definitely worth it to have it covered.

Tire warranty is usually covered by consumer rights, the same sort of laws that apply t obuying deodorant at the pharmacy and returning it. id est: whenever applicable.

If you used it up to a point where it shows any sign of wear, warranty void. The tire warranty is just to protect consumers so they can return the tire, should it come broken or anything (you install it and the tire explodes, tears, doesn't hold airpressure-so long as its not a dent on the wheel).

In brazil, at least, warranty is not "paid for", there is no value on it, it's not like insurance. However, market practices dictate that some % of the price is higher because it has some sort of warranty, even if it's not stated anywhere.
I'm not an expert, but I believe in brazil it's actualyl illegal to charge for warranty on any item if it only covers basic consumer rights (eg return the item up until 7 days without any reason, so long as it's not used, worn, broken or whatever/ 30 days minimum return for most items if they come with manufacturing defects, and ~60-90 days for electronics for manufacturing defects) It's called Consumer Defense Code (Código de Defesa do Consumidor in portuguese, 'CDC'), but I'm sure there are some sort of similar laws for your country, though they may be waaaay worse. Or not.

>tires
>warranty
u wot

Unless you're paying stupid money for your tires I don't get why you would want a warranty.

Though some places do charge extra for set extended warranties, completely forgot about it . My bad.

But the last time I bought the 4 tires, it only costed about 100 bucks, ad the warranty covered 5000km. But I may be wrong, because I also calibrated the wheel angles (do not know the word for it), and it cost extra, so the value was about 300 bucks, plus the tires, but again, this is brazil where prices are way different.

Extended warranties may change, if you have time, call some tire store and ask about it.

I'm not sure they offer extended warranty for single tires, though. Some may do, but it's uncertain.

>calibrated the wheel angles (do not know the word for it)
"alignment"

$15/tire at either Sam's Club or Costco makes the most sense-they cover 6 years or until 2/32" of tread
But i work in a janky tire shop and used ones are covered for 30 days

Having a warranty is awesome when you're AWD and have to replace all four at once-usually get the guys at Firestone to pro-rate the other 3 whenever that happens

How often do you pop your tires? I did AWD for decades and didn't have a problem with it.

6 years on a tire? Why do you even bother with AWD when you're driving on hardened plastic?

Thank you.

Blew one in april, got a nail in another 3 weeks later. Only happened 4 times in 13 years.
Out here in Arizona a good tire might last 4 years at best. Ive only managed 3 out of any set I've had.
Its not uncommon for people to store their vehicles in climate controlled garages here so every now and then I'll see 10+ year old tires on cars

Huh. I've blown a few tires, but my tires cost like a little more than a week's groceries and therefore are not worth the hassle of insuring. And my AWD doesn't keel over and die if I don't go out every weekend with a piece of chalk to check that the rolling circumferences are still equal or if one of them might be 1psi off.

Paid $60 a pop for mine since they were on closeout. My Impreza has never keeled over either but they do stress that all 4 tires have to be within 1/32" of eachother to avoid fucking up the drivetrain. What's your AWD?

Manual Impreza, open diff front and back. Works good to keep the rears just slightly pumped up higher to get that delicious rear push.

And yes I did actually go out with chalk to measure rolling circumference. The VC in the center isn't all that strong in the first place, but if you think it's going to shear to the "hump" and lock up instead of just be better than open then you're living in a dream. Just don't shit on it.

>be me
>fix rear subframe
>what is wheel alignment and where do I buy it
>run wide tires because that's what F1 does and F1 means performance
>rear tires last one season
>no grip in rain
>this is good now I can drift
>winter comes
>buy dirt cheap tires from china
>put them on my dirt cheap alloy wheels
>no grip
>drift everywhere
>tires wear out quickly, but is okay, they are cheap and have no grip to begin with
>friend tells me "drifting on snow is like masturbating, it feels gud, but it aint real
>ignore him
>go back to drifting
>hold up traffic whenever the speed limit is above 60 kmh because no grip
>crash my car 4 times a year because no grip and agressive and sometimes dumb driving
>look at my car and it looks bad and is full of scratches and dents and rust
>take good care of the chassis and suspension and driveline
>have fun every time I drive
>drive it like it's a rental

I love the E46 and how affordable it is. I love that I don't really need a car for work. I enjoy the freedom not to be bothered when I let someone drive my funwagn and they damage it.

My door card reads 29psi front and 32 rear for my GF8; what would you recommend?

Depends on the tire. I eventually settled on 37 front and 37 rear for mine. It danced nicely with just me, felt just right with somebody in the passenger seat, and you could tell the rears could use a little more pressure when you had it loaded up with people and cargo.

So that right there tells you that, as a road car, you have to expect that the center is going to have to put up with not everything being exactly perfect all the time, considering it's a utility car meant to be used under a large variety of conditions.

*37 front 34 rear

205/55/R16 91W Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 on a 2000 Impreza OBS

I've been running 35psi front to back since I've had 'em and can't complain

My dad never got a warranty on his new tires and got a puncture a month after buying them when driving over train tracks

Never tried that particular tire, but that sounds roughly in the range of sane. For an OBS, you have IIRC about 55:45 F:R weight distribution, so it's reasonable to have the fronts a little more inflated than the rear unless you have a lot of weight behind. My chalk tests confirmed the online rumors of 2-4psi difference, and my hoon tests did as well.

If you keep them about the same inflation that's probably a little too much in the rear unless you commonly have a payload back there. Just my opinion / experience.

is "tire warranty" a thing outside the US?

And is it tire warranty, or a more typical insuranse against getting the entire wheel stolen?

Warranty against defects
You can get additional protection from places like Tire Rack for punctures and stuff as well

So... How is a tire "defect" determined/defined?

If your brand new tire separates at the tread or rips without a puncture (usually in the sidewall) its probably a manufacturer defect and they'll replace it

Tire manufacturers usually take it pretty seriously because unlike a phone or some gadget off of Amazon a tire failure can range from inconvenient to life threatening

Belt separations are among the most common- covered by manufacturer warranty.
Tire puncture in sidewall from roofing nail-covered by road hazard warranty

So plug it? A six year old could plug a tire.

Not safe if the puncture in question exceeds 1/4" in diameter. You're just asking for a blowout otherwise

It was a diagonal gouge, no way he's gonna plug something like that for his S class

Read up on your specific tire.

Mostly "warranties" just means pro-rated replacement plans. If you wear out a 100k tire in 80k, you get a 20% discount on a new tire- NOT a free whole tire. This generally means wearing the tread down, but sometimes the whole tire to a puncture can count. It's not uncommon that the life expectancy of the tire is over-rated since the "warranty" means you get a small discount on the same brand

"100k tire", as in a hundred miles (160 km)? There can't possibly be such a thing. I'm in europe.

How common is it for a tire to rip apart on its own? I mean outside of nigger/jew tires that you got for $15 per corner?

Brand new? Not very, but obviously they'll still come with a warranty
Keep in mind that "brand new" tires can be up to 2 years old. You also want to see if they've been stored in a heated warehouse

Seriously, what kind of shit tires are you driving on?

Lol no (Michelin tires, for instance, can range from 20-90k miles)

Can happen to any tire, no manufacturing process is 100% perfect

Tire warranties at Discount Tire are around $10-$15 I think, so it's a no-brainer. I've had tires get shredded by bolts/screws/nails so it's worth it.

it's free when purchasing from tirerack

or you can just not worry about it because tires wear out and it's very rare to tear them up these days because they are quite strong

You're not answering my question. There's a risk-reward ratio at play here. Are you driving on tires that are reliably so bad that tire insurance makes sense?

Or maybe just really expensive ones?

The longest lasting tire I know is the Michelin Defender with a tread wear rating of 800 and manufacture warranty coverage for 115k kms
Shits great

Every tire comes with a warranty you mongoloid
Tire insurance is inexpensive and is for if you ever puncture your tire

Right, so the question is what you pay in Jewsurance for your tires vs. the cost of just getting new ones anyway, especially if they're going to Jew you out of prorating the remaining expected tire life. Unless you drive over bolts and spikes for a living or use tires so expensive you shouldn't care how much it costs in the first place, what's the point?

Cause its like less than $20 for a set of 4 tires

And how often do you invoke your insurance?

If a tire ever bursts. On higher end cars a single tire can easily cost between $200-300, you have to go decades without getting a single puncture to make up for the cost of a new tire against saving money by not getting $5 tire insurance

In 13 years of driving, its happened to me on 3 seperate occasions...times when i had road hazard and only paid $15 to replace with a new warranty

I believe I stated it makes sense if you're paying stupid money for tires, at which point I assume you're not buying them from Discount Tire or Costco or something.

And did the numbers work out? I've had about the same rate of tire damage, and I'm pretty sure I don't need extra tire tax to cover shit that happens on top of other shit that happens.

user even on half decent tires like Michelin Defenders it's a good idea

I wouldn't get it for chink shit that costs under $100 per tire, but I wouldn't buy sub $100 chink tires in the first place

By having an AWD vehicle, absolutely. I'd gladly pay $60 vs another $350+ for a new set of rubber

So you are both
>financially illiterate
and
>AWD illiterate
do as you like

Imagine being this autistic

Imagine not knowing jack shit about his AWD system and autistically buying four new tires each time on one of them breaks.

k lad

Where the fuck did anyone say that?

>a new set of rubber
>set

I bet you're the faggot that runs mismatched tires from Craigslist

>buy new tires 18 months ago @ 10/32" tread
>have 7/32" of tread all around as of now
>have a blowout destroying one of four come tomorrow morning
>tire shop refuses to only replace one because AWD=insurance liability
>got that road hazard, they agree to pro-rate 3 others because drivetrain

Better safe than sorry, you knucklehead

Mine come from tirerack because easy and close enough. On rare occasion one of them blows but in general they are of comparable tread depth as evidenced by my yearly inspection documentation.

Why don't you try living an adult life.

What the fuck kind of nazi tire shop do you use? Do you like getting jewed? Could we interest you in a free recircumcision with this new set of tires?

>get a tire replaced
>somehow it's at the same tread depth as the other 3 tires with 20k miles on them

>somehow you're at the same braindepth as your tires

Mine only go for about 30k anyway. Stick the spare on for a while if the rest are that worn, and calmly wait until it's time for a new set. What is wrong with you people? This isn't difficult.

>driving on a spare for that long
What's wrong with you? Cops should have the right to execute morons driving unsafe shit heaps

My spare is the best one left from my last set of tires, which I didn't wear down to unsafe levels. I shiggy diggy your spare isn't some 10 year old cracked out piece of crap.

>implying it's bad to get a fresh set of tires under warranty for 15% the cost of initial purchase 18 months prior

I ran tires with uneven tires on my 4EAT legacy, not doing that with my current car. Having a 50/50 permanent AWD car means it has its finer tolerances compared to the active AWD that was mainly FWD biased.
I don't know my all wheel drive systems? Go fuck yourself

>implying it's a 10 year old piece of shit
Please turn in your license. Spares are not meant for daily driving

>he thinks the spare is the same thing as a donut
neck yourself

That temporary spare is the kind of shit a cop will pull you over for

4EAT is a Haldex-style electronic FWD clutch system that uses a 10% lockup by default and tries to adapt to various conditions as long as it's in D. It doesn't care if the rolling circumference of your tires are uneven any more than you care to check your tire pressure. What you're thinking about is the VC in the 5MT that might wear out if it's left under too much stress for too long.

>he thinks cars made in the last decade had full size spares
>calls other people out for having 10 year old prices of shit

The only things that came with full size spares were SUVs and trucks with spares mounted underneath them and they were always rusting to shit

It's why it was used to limp home until the tire was replaced

But for why?

Can't say drive over 50mph or for extended periods of time

>I live in nazi cop zone
>don't have proof of how many miles or how fast I was driving
>asks to see my TV license

Nice leap of logic

Thanks. If a cop pulls you over for running a donut without being a nigger then you live in a hellhole.

I bet you think you should be allowed to drive your shit heap minivan with a body held together by rust because FREEDUMBS

I don't have a minivan, and the one I did drive gave me the willies when I reviewed the crash test videos.

On the other hand, if you want to get in to being allowed to drive, then we'll have to talk about the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin and how you don't need a license to drive. Do you really want to go there, or shall we keep this to a discussion of tires and AWD systems?

They consider it suspicious behavior for a motorist, especially at night. Took a traffic survival class ran by a 30 year veterean of highway patrol. Suspicious or not, i replaced my donut spare with a full sized tire

Are you a sovereign citizen?

You did the right thing. Those donuts are only supposed to keep you going until you can get a real spare on.

Not denying any of that, but if the goddamned engineers that designed the system state in their own users manual to keep all tires within a specified tread depth range, then I'm gonna fucking abide by it so i can put any future failure onto something other than my own neglect

That's not relevant. But what's fun is if you buy your next car from a stealership, ask the back room guy where the MCO is and see what he says.

It's a good way to pass the time.

So you are

Those temporary donut spares only last like 200 miles tops. Your own stupidity if you exceeded the speed limit on one and the fucker blew

The manual is basically a way to excuse legal liability. They're really just saying if you don't have your tread depth exactly right then they're not liable if something goes wrong

Once again: risk vs. reward. If your personal comfort level is that you're going to buy tire insurance to make sure they're all as much the same as you want to think that they are, then go for it. We all have to make our own decisions.

I don't even know what a sovereign citizen is, so I cannot possibly have claimed to be one. I'm just an average joe bag of donuts who might know a little too much for his own good, like that I only hold custodial title to my car. It really doesn't matter for a hill of beans day to day.

>enlightened by his own intelligence

>not using the spare tire in rotation with your other 4
Who's the dummy now?

And what good are the cops going to do? Get out special cop equipment to find out how close the donut is to blowing?

Seriously, what happened to an ability to think?

I use the spare once or twice every never. Maybe a different system works better for you, but my spare has some tread left and it will see me back home so I can make a determination about what I should do after that.

Unsafe operation of a vehicle if he sees you driving on the damn thing every day

I'm sorry you live in a nigge-infested zone where cops have to stop people for rolling on donuts day in and day out.

Truly sad.

That's some serious projection

Based upon my driving history-its totally worth it. Not like I've had to decide between groceries for the week versus replacing tires yet, either. There's always so much construction debris on the roads in my city its well worth the peace of mind

Not really. I never saw people rolling around on donuts at like fucking the grocery store parking lot or whatever until I lived around niggers.

Honestly, you shouldn't need cops to curtail that sort of thing.

Seems you're the one living in a nigger infested area

True story. They're mostly alright here though if you know what you're doing, and really the other infestations worry me a whole lot more.

I'm just trying to have a conversation about tires with a bunch of apparently triggered out people.

>doing 75 on the freeway on a donut rated for 50mph max
>DPS sees this
>cop decides to measure your other tires with a tread depth gauge
Your analogies are childish at best. I don't know whether to pity you or hold you in contempt-I will do both.

Who said anything about violating the speed rating? Am I the one projecting or are you?

Nigga i was only saying there's a clear difference between a donut (temporary) and having a full size spare tire. I once drove on a donut for 6 weeks straight and wore that bastard to the cords