/ccg/ Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Winter is coming edition.

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

>It's perfectly acceptable to use RTV silicone, ignore the haters.

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1293538587
kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ottawa/1989-pontiac-firebird-ssa-rust-free/1305340300?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People's car, best car

>tfw you were finally getting something done and now you have to go work for the next week before you can continue
Life is suffering

I love my 560SL, but why do they get so much hate?

Why does it have euro headlights but murrican bumpers?

Finally have a day off tomorrow so I can do some tinkering for a car show this Saturday.

Also, it's the best time to find classics for sale, as people don't want to store/work on them in the winter. Trying to gather more items for another police car project I have in my head.

....If only someone could teach me how to paint cars.

Both the W113 and the R107 were overshadowed by the greatness of the W194/300SL, never quite living up to what it was. After the R107 came the R129, which was an astonishingly good GT for its time, and extremely modern with tons of engines to chose from

I guess that makes sense. Hard to live up to the legacy with such an amazing older brother of a car.

They're good for what they are though. Surprisingly good handling in the snow for a summer roadster.
You should have seen the looks on my coworker's faces when some people didn't show up to work in 4" of snow but I made it in a convertable.

The JB Weld didn't like the heat from the exhaust at all and promptly broke. So I did it the somewhat less nigger-rigged way.

have you tried quiksteel

How about just welding it

I would love to do that. But I do not have a welder. Nor am I inclined to run out and purchase one.

There's actually QuikSteel high temp shit slathered all around the adapter, so hopefully it holds.

I found the source of the oil leak on my volvo. it's the high preasure oilcooler line where it connects to the oil filter adapter. it should be an easy, i'm going to take it off and clean it real good before refitting it or i must go find a new one

Any suggestions on how to get the smell of mildew out of a car? Currently just overpowering it with cocanut scented trees... but i get kinda high

Ozone generator

I did this to my buddies jalopy back in college

Straight upp vinegar

I did a thing for $350. Got myself a '77 Hilux

good front grill makes me happy

missing some of the stainless trim: that makes me a little less than happy...

she's all original, if not a little dirty.

Supposedly ran 5 years ago and was driven on a farm for a solid 10. The moment the owner got rid of his live stock, he had no reason to drive the truck around to deliver feed and hay, so it got parked. But for the price with title and non-op, and minimal rust, I'm happy.

Nice. 67?

Just got it running again after 2 years. Sold it, bought it back, and built a new engine for it.

this is the only real answer.

Good new /ccg/! I dont have to get a new trans! Turns out the th350 does shift into 3rd just fine! Since it was a power glide, the shifter only shows "PRNDL", so it only has 2 marked slots for driving. Well since they put in a th350, it now has "PRND21"... All this time ive had it in 2 because both 2 and drive share the D with 2 being on the right side of it. So now that i figured that out, plus new tires, the impala drives amazing. Now i just need to strengthen up the brakes and get new shocks, and it should be DD worthy!

Unfortunantly either the rear main is leaking or the back of the oil pan is... both not fun fixes... and probably needs new motor mounts.... (im gonna miss the car swaying every time i rev it)

How much did you pay for that car?

Not bad for $350

1972 body on 1970 chassis with modified-to-fit older style bumpers.

What size engine? I've got the 1500 single port, which is a bit unusual but possibly normal for a 70.

Wow, those things are nonexistent up here... still plenty of mid 80s toyota trucks running around, but litterally the entire bottom half of the beds are rusted away... nice score for $350,

In other news, I painted my $100 D100

Here is the before pic...

Well, I've been hunting for a turd gen and I'm trying to get my hands on this '88 Firechicken

kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1293538587

What do you do when sellers don't respond? I've been trying to match his yard with satellite photos like a creeper to see if he has it in his front yard with a 'for sale' sign

My guess is he already sold it. Also early third gen birds > later ones

b-but he would let me know, right?

lucky bastard

Just a pic

He might not be checking messages out. Are you calling him or emailing him? If he's an boomer he might not check his email

He didn't leave a phone number or an email, the only option is Kijiji's message system, although he should get an email notification. Usually what happens is that they get a friend or relative to post the ad for them though.

Well boys I did my service, I stuck an early 80's carb in a tesla model 3's front "trunk".
Pictures are against company policy, but just know, somewhere there is a tesla driving around with a grimy carb stuck in it.

that's probably what happened then. keep on looking!
Please be true

I've been looking at this for a while now
kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ottawa/1989-pontiac-firebird-ssa-rust-free/1305340300?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

it's in pretty good shape, but
>auto
>v6
I know it's hard to come by a manual for 2500 leafbucks, but I'd at least like a 305. Everything else at the moment is either 3000+ or a shell

don't get a v6. trust me, the v8 is so much better. it's tricky to swap a v6 to a v8 as well. it's hard but holding out for a good one is worth it

I know, the motor mounts are nearly completely different. I have enough saved up for getting a 2500$ car running, but both the firebird and the foxbody guys I called are ignoring me. I suppose I'll wait until spring, but the prices will be much higher then.

you should change your name to Rattlecan

good luck. i love my bird

thanks, I have a .480 cam lined up, along with an intake manifold my buddy took off of his 406, as the previous owner went full retard and stuck that on. I'm probably gonna see if I can get 295 tires for cheap, and down the road I'll get a Hurst or B&M shifter to fix the slushbox 700r4. I may get aluminium heads if my budget allows down the road too, but if I can score a 350 or 400 for under a grand at some point, I'll just stick that in instead.

greetings fellow R poster.

The Impala buddy

That's neat. I'm trying to get mine to not run like ass but I'm picking up headers tomorrow and a cam next. Can't wait to get this thing moving

let it cure for a month or so and then cut it LIGHTLY with rubbing compound, then carefully polish and wax. It'll look waaaaaay better, and last a LOT longer. Well worth the afternoon and $40.

good luck, my goal is basically just to unchoke the poor 305. I had a 5.0 fox lined up too, but the guy won't return my calls and I don't know much about Windsors anyways, and since my buddy has the '79 Camaro we can share parts and tools, like the Intake.

I would personally aim for new heads after the cam and headers, to take full advantage of the extra power. Shame aluminium heads are so expensive, but I get why, the machining is hard

My 72 Monte Carlo.

It's all original, except I put dual exhaust on it.
My goal is to restore to as original as possible with American made parts, old school.

I've done the weatherstripping, glove box, trunk, dash and some engine work. It's learn as I go.

i was going to go with vortec 305 heads but they're just not worth the cost. I think I'll hold off on heads for now anyways, could put that money towards a better axle or whatnot. End goal is a 455 swap

because of unironically bad timing chains and maintenance.

That being said the r107 is sexy af

Ooh, a 455 would be killer, but it'll cost ya an arm and a leg. Do you plan on staying on pump gas?

nice those montes around that year had some style

Thanks. It drives really nice for a 45 year old car.

Most likely. I wouldn't build the 455 up too much, just a nice cam and try to get 400-500hp from it. Probably gonna build it bit by bit

Classic: snowed in edition?

>there's a 1954 chrysler in this photo...

Nah, still have way to much to do to it, and just did that with my neighbor in the dark without any prep work at all.. don't intend for it to last long. Thing still needs floors, and if I really get carried away and want it to look nice, there's a few dents that would need adressed, and some light patching needs done on the bottom of the door skins. More that likely I will change how it looks a few times between now and then, but if I ever end up doing a little body work to it, I will do a much better job painting it and take your advice.

>Subaru
>Doge
>Plymouth?
>Ferd
you have a taste for variety I see
I like them old pick ups

There is a pontiac Junkyard in Michigan, forgot the town name. You can rip out 400s from any of the old Pontiac that still have them.
Ill look for the name

Wew. If I saw a pontiac motor in a junkyard I'd pull it in a heartbeat

>plymouth?
Correct.
I have many more, but I've more or less abandoned them at my father in laws house where they sit...
The ones I have with me are the ones that were running, with the exception of my New Yorker...

And yes, I like anything old. Refuse to own vehicles newer than 1979....

Dream car right there.

How hard was it to do the dash?

Its a neat place, Pontiacs for days. Got a roof and a bunch of other shit there for cheap. Thats where we got some of the parts for this thing.
There was even an Astre nestled in there

God damn. Where is it? I could spend weeks there

I know NOTHING about R series engines; I'm a Datsun guy and a Honda guy, everything I know engine wise is either an L-series or an E-series (funny how every single Japanese manufacturer used single letter's for their engines...).

Teach me your ways. Are the 2 barrel carbs these things have hard to rebuild or work with? Make decent power? Are they known for reliability or anything? Again, I know fuck all. I mean it's a Toyota, so it's gotta be reliable prolly, but is it a pain to work on or something?

>Ellipses...
You type like those 50+ year old men in forums.

Well, the only thing missing is the grandpa caps lock

>Refuse to own vehicles newer than 1979
I like you

>Liking people that refuse to own vehicles newer than 1979

I lick you

Jealous. More of a Datsun guy but any 70s Japanese minitruck gets me going.

embrace the early 80's. If this can hang with Hotrod magazine, you can hang with some 80's shit boxes.

A 521 was my goal with a 620 close behind, but a couple of the guys in the local Datsun club let me sit in theirs: I don't fit. I'm 6'2" and 210lb, and the steering wheel was eating my legs with the pedals in my face. This thing though.... dude, it's crazy: LOADS of leg room.

How could you just let them sit?! Are you a boomer or something?!?

A 620 is my absolute dream. They're some of the only Japanese autos I genuinely love.
They're plenty cheap around me but I don't have the time one deserves to be given now. In a few years though hopefully.

I'm shocked that the Toyota is so much roomier in comparison though given they're so dimensionally similar. Guessing it's all in the firewall?

>I'm a 24 year old autist...

Thanks... I-I like you too?

No... not happening. Round, glass headlamps all the way.
In reality, I'm a 'distributer points' and no computer controlled systems kind of guy, but I've made a few exceptions in the past with late 70s rigs. I dislike the aesthetics of the 80s, everything became boxy, compact, computer/vacuum controlled, and power restricted. I guess some people get hard for 80s stuff, but not me.

Buuut, thats just me... and I'm a weirdo desu

It's relatively easy, can be complicated though. There are 6 screws that hold the dash in place. An additional 5-6 clips that hold the dash into place by the window on the inner dash platform.

Just being careful and not screwing up the wiring is the pain.

What do you do at 24 that allows you to have so many projects?

I'm litterally a mechanic.

.... as well as assistant manager

yup. Same thing with the floor pans: they actually dip DOWN where your fit sit since that gives you more leg room, and they're lower near the front of the bench seat... which unfortunately means rust. I've got some rust to deal with, but it's just a sheet metal floor pan: I'll have it replaced in a jiffy with my angle grinder and welder.

at least my car has square, glass head lamps. And that's understandable: I dislike all the vacuum shit as well, but 99% of that goes away with a carb replacement, and the real nice thing about it is that everything from the 80's right now is cheap cheap cheap. They're at their peak depreciation.

So I've been thinking about what my end goal should be with the Citroën. I can get it running and driving with it looking the way it does, or the car is simple enough and comes apart quick enough that I could tear the whole thing down and redo it from the ground up. What do you guys think?

Get it running first, then worry about what you want to do long term.

find the cancer and repair it, stop the rust in the other areas, and go from there. It's too cool to do an engine swap in my opinion, at least a crazy one. Enjoy it and drive it. Might want to do a tasteful brake swap, but besides that... rock it. Rebuild it as best you can.

>beautiful car
>fwd

every time I see this it hurts me

Running will be no problem.

The problem is once you start cutting and welding the new metal you put in needs painting so you'll end up having to do the whole car.

Usually I agree but a Traction Avant is different. The engineering that went into such an everyday car, especially in the 1930's, is amazing. The engineering was still ahead of its time when they stopped making it in 1957; unibody construction, 4 wheel independent torsion bar suspension, radial tires as standard. It's very likely that this sedan could out handle sports cars of the same time.

I've expanded my criteria up to '89 because digital dashes and '80s wedges.

Welp, pulled the engine in the Thunderbird in about two and a half hours.
Decided to just call up the scrapyard and have them tow it away, sadly.
I don't have the time to part it out, no one would want to buy it and I had no place to store it.

Almost got the engine out of the Lincoln, Just need to get the tranny bolts undone, take the hood off, then make sure nothing else is left and it will be pulled in the morning.
Farewell Thunderbird, it was a good 5 years

hey cutlass, I'm kinda wanting to eventually swap a 4 speed in my trans am. I was curious what the pedals looked like under the dash to see how difficult it would be to swap in all the 4 speed stuff. If you could get a pic of the pedals on that bird I'd give you a cookie sometime.

wait wait wait, hold up. What are you getting for that? I've got a buddy in Vancouver who might be interested in it. Is the body not fucked in an accident?

This is fantastic.

It's already gone.
The body wasn't fucked, but the bumper assembly was completely rusted away, the rear axle had some wicked bearing noise, and of course, no engine

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dammit....

I had it for sale at $1200 for about a year and the only offers were from a derby guy and one guy that just wanted the frame.

Are insurance prices for classic cars different in any way?

>I do not have a welder. Nor am I inclined to run out and purchase one.

Why not? Welders come in handy for a bunch of stuff and they're cheap.

Even engineless that thing looks too nice to be scrapped.

Generally cheap. I just over valued my 67 impala, claimed it as a show car and pleasure ride, and hagarty offered full coverage for $33 a month.