/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play:
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Dead thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

colinmorris.github.io/blog/dcss_newbie_traps#Spellcasting-overinvestment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>no bogdanoff roguelike
why is this allowed

Life is but a void wating to be filled with roguelikes.

How fucked am i?

by the way this was my thread i made it

>you (lit)
ayyy lllmmmaaaaooooooooooooooooooo

>have polymorph
>don't use it on Sonja

user...........

>Beware, you cannot shaft yourself on this level
No I'm pretty sure you gave yourself the shaft senpai

>Sonja'd

HOW?

Negro, just zap her with a wand.

I cant find a way out and now this guy popped out of nowhere. He is extremely dangerous with 153 health according to his description and i cant outrun him.

I wasnt aware of Sonja being able to do anything other than pelt my shield with her gatling blowgun.

She had a distortion branded dagger
And pop a wand of clouds or tp and blink

>tfw Transcendence isn't considered roguelike enough to discuss here even though it fullfills basically all the criteria except being turn-based and has no roguelite features like unlocks

I'm a DCSS babby but I can't stand it anymore so I'm going to try Brogue. Do I have to know anything or should I just have fun playing blindly?

>not turn-based
>not grid-based
>has modes

not a goddamn roguelike

>tfw sex with apes is considered bestiality even though they fulfill basically all the criteria of being a human

I got him (barely) and an exit popped up, lets hope nobody is on the other side ready to greet me...

I dont think wand of clouds would have been that useful with the resistances he had and antboys cant teleport.

>I got him (barely) and an exit popped up

Yeah, that's a cool thing about nu-Abyss. Basically, exits (and staircases doing deeper into the Abyss) will eventually pop up based on XP earned. For a low level character, you can kill a couple of Abyss enemies and generate an exit.

O i didnt see youre Fo, oops
And wand of clouds is broken, most of the shit in there doesnt check resistances

nvm the window is too big for my shitty screen and the bottom is cut off, i guess it's back to dcss for me

owo wats dis?

rolling for

Found a Manual for a shitty skill. Would training it and then using Transfer Knowledge with Ash give me lots of free skill points into the skill of my choice?

>they fulfill basically all the criteria of being a human
They don't though. None of those meme "muh human-level intellicence" animals have the higher ability to imagine things and think bigger.

An ape would be a better conversationalist than you (and sexual partner (and that's accounting for the fact that apes have tiny penises (you fucking babydick))).

Any advice on raiding a national guard camp in cataclysm dda? Everything there seems to outrange me and the w1b110s are basically super tough mobile turrets that have night vision. Anything there actually worth all the trouble?

So I'm making a roguelike game and I need your input, what do you guys think a roguelike game needs?
Don't worry, it'll have elves for slaying.

emergent complexity

>all the criteria except being turn based
my qt trap waifu is such a cute girl, she checks all the boxes except for the fact that she has a dick

permanent metagame unlocks/upgrades that stick with you when you die
also when you win the game you get to fuck the dragon

Decide yourself if you want to go race based or class based for what affects your playstyle.

Alot of different races/classes/whatever with different playstyles would be really nice.
Also character progression other than getting +1 intelligence on a levelup or a shinier stick to beat bad guys with would be neato.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Im never getting that axe back am i?

BULLSHIT

Yeah, shit like this is annoying and buggy, tbqh. Monsters shouldn't be able to open doors and attack on the same turn, no matter how fast they are.

clearly crawl needs *band detection

E N E R G Y R A N D O M I S A T I O N`

it used to have it
the divination school of magic was (trigger warning) removed

Why was the manticore between you and the staircase?

What?

FAULT

Energy randomisation is fun and interesting!
>tfw ogre hits you with club of reaching

Energy randomization is the ulcerative colitis of roguelikes.

16 confusion stabs while it was at red and poisoned. Biggest horseshit I ever saw in my life. Finally just said fuck it and used darts.

O muse, thy name is Fault!
Who blesseth our cheeks with salte,
And filleth our tummies with bitter laughter.
Thy name, we must needs exalt.

>but do no damage
>miss
>miss
>barely miss

dont for get the
>!!!!!
at the end there

Convince me to Scry.

do it faggot

Play Ogre I thought.

There's no way I'll find anything useful of D:11 anyway.

Scry?

>that helm

What are some cool *bands that are meant to make the game shorter/less grindy? I've found Quickband and Ironband so far.

Sil is mechanically sortof its own subfield distinct from the rest of the *bands but it is short and sexy and beautiful and you should definitely play it if you like roguelikes

halls of mist has been posted about a bit in here
it's kind of ironman-y though

>halls of mist

roll vargrs

>win in the op
I thought we had forsaken this foule practice.

b-but i wasn't planning on playing halls of you fail the alchemy test today

I REMEMBER A TIME, LONG LONG AGO, WHERE WE HAD TO FIGHT OVER THE OP PICTURE

i remember i was the first one to slap multiple win screenshots together in mspaint for the op image

This is POWDER.

This is my character.

how do i "git gud" at Brogue?

I've literally never gotten past like D:6 or so.

Watch recs by good players.

Any one tried using the steel chain as a weapon in DDA? It says it has a chance of granting a bonus unarmed attack, but I've never seen it work. Do you need high unarmed skill? Melee? Maybe dex? Or does it just roll the punch damage into the displayed damage so it looks like nothing happens?

Holy shit Atavus getting cucked

I really love the metagame in IVAN a lot

Learn to play the ID game, pick shit in vaults as if they were +0 if you can't detect magic and even if you can, be prepared for what depth dangerous monsters start spawning

How do I fix UPS charging stations so they charge at 100% efficiency instead of 8%? I'm looking through the JSONs and I'm not seeing anything about it.

why would it be a json thing in the first place
what is with cddaposters and being afraid to modify the actual code

>That everything

Mu win coming up

become int my lad

TIEMMAY!

>antimagic

Because of all the other things that go in JSONs. Where else would something like that go?

>10 Death Yaks on D:10

yametekure

in the code for charging?
someone posted the commit last thread i think, just find that link and see what it changed

In DCSS, if I'm going to play an air mage, should I train all three of the skills Spellcasting, Conjuration, and air magic? Or should I just train air magic since it basically does the same thing as the other two plus extra air magic damage.

Would the answer also apply to other schools of magic?

you have to train everything lad
you can cut corners and skip conjurations if you want to go for tornado purity

Train everything. If you get a staff of energy or amulet of gourmand you can hold off Spellcasting for a while.

Also Air Magic is shit. Enjoy your Lightning Miss, Conjure Suicide and "Your chain lightning jumps to bushx8"

Thanks

Really wish I could actually play this game on a GBA.

air magic starts with swiftness and rmsl and ends with tornado, the greatest level 9 spell in the game
it is beautiful in the beginning, beautiful in the middle, and beautiful in the end
it is the alpha and omega of magic
it is by air magic alone that i set my win in motion
air magic is love
air magic is life

>air magic starts with rmsl

nice joke, user

anyone willing to upload an older version of Cataclysm DDA that doesn't have the accuracy change? (6445 is the one right before I think)

if the guy from last thread is here, try uploading to zippyshare

no
they wouldn't dare

>tornado, the greatest level 9 spell in the game

You mean the only level 9 spell aside from dragon's call which has a cooldown period? That's great for when a tormentor and hell sentinel come into LOS

Spellcasting is only as good as 1/4 of the average of the other spellschools used.

Spellcasting also adds to your maximum MP but only if it is the highest out of SC/Invo/Evo since it just takes the highest value out of those three.

But it's main purpose is that each half level of spellcasting adds one more spell slot to learn new spells.

So basically unless you have really great spellcasting aptitude and the extra magic points are cheap to you, you should raise it to the exact number you need to learn the spell you want right now, and then stop.

in terms of Air Mages you should train Air until you can cast your most important spells without miscast penalties, then switch to 50% air and 50% (defensive skill which is probably dodging). Keep that up until your Air magic is at 10, stopping to train spellcasting when you need to or to get secondary spell schools up to 2 or 3 for the quick boost in spellpower.

At least they still have summon lightning sp-

hope you didn't like lightning spire either

a single tornado is equal to several firestorms in terms of total damage done and mp efficiency so the smug response in this situation is to use meme arrows to paraphrase your post but twist it so it says it's great how you have no mp when a tormentor and hell sentinel show up

they also removed lightning spire from the AE starting book
plus they buffed VM
AE was already the shittiest book start but now the difference between it and its competition is bigger than ever

hey it's fine he can still quadza-

>So basically unless you have really great spellcasting aptitude and the extra magic points are cheap to you, you should raise it to the exact number you need to learn the spell you want right now, and then stop.
note that this is bad advice

Tornado is literally only good for hybrids who farm xp and train armor and don't have the Int for the bigboy spells.

didn't somebody post a graph statistically proving that only badplayers raise spellcasting early like a dozen threads ago

at least they used to have good taste

you can kill everything with tornado though
it's faster to spam fire/icestorm to kill oofs in the least amount of turns but then your whole mp bar is empty and you leave yourself open to nasty things entering los

i don't think you understand how statistics work

>icestorm
go to bed grandpa you're drunk

they indicate the safest bets in a game that is built upon hundreds of layers of bullshit probabilities

I follow the Qud devs on twitter, and half the posts are literally procedurally generated nonsense. It's like their lore generator is no better than a mad-lib.

Actual example: "You slew Elli-lion, legendary giant amboeba, and the whole time you weeped."

What's the point of having procedural lore if it reads like a fourth grader's first Apple BASIC program?

no they don't
statistics don't have any predictive power because they aren't sufficient to explain cause and effect

it's not that only badplayers raise it, but that badplayers raise it significantly earlier

colinmorris.github.io/blog/dcss_newbie_traps#Spellcasting-overinvestment

wow look at that it's almost like good players rise spc in excess of what is needed to learn spells