ITT: Future cheap enthusiast cars

> tfw NA miatas and foxbodys no longer cheap
>can't even find old civic hatches in any decent shape anymore
What will be the next round of cheap enthusiast cars to get in on in the next few years Veeky Forums? Let's say 5k or less.

None. Its over. When the last cars from the 40's-90's die, there will be no more.

next miatas, toyobarus etc.
new wave of muscle cars

S2000 price is high or else I'd buy

Volkswagen Golf GTI and Subaru WRX models are available for fairly cheap for mid-2000s examples. Miatas in the same year range cost about as much. Give them another five to ten years to depreciate, and you'll have another batch of enthusiast cars to not buy.

How about $300-$500
Lmao we ain't got no money dawg

I only have $1800 to buy anything so ur not wrong, I was just hoping things get better desu

>tfw bought one of the tiniest V6's in existence
>115,000 km
>$1,500

C U T E
U
T
E

>how long til the next batch of "enthusiast" fwd hatches get cheap enough I can drive their dangerously rusty selves around and claim to be involved in the car scene

It is!

Going to pick it up tomorrow, its virtually rust free!

A rust-free MX-3 is a fucking score, enjoy it mate.

NB MX-5 is probably your best bet then.
N/A SW20s and ZZW30s might be a bit too pricey unless you shop around a fair bit.

Saab 900

slow piece of shit...i can smoke the fuck out of this in my 1994 EG hatch with a couple of simple mods:
10 point cage with Parachute
3 piece discontinued JoJo frontend
spec-R full drag suspension
Fuel cell with -8 lines from tank to motor
1 044 bosch pump
1200 rc injectors
golden eagle sleeved block
cp 10:1 pistons
Eagle rods
arp headstuds
oem h22 headgasket
Balance shaft delete
competition clutch twin disc
Port and polished head
skunk2 valve springs and retainers
Str cam gears
crower stage 1 cams
aluminium radiator with slim fan
gsr transmission with itr lsd.
qsd h2k intake manifold adapter
k20 rbc manifold
qsd throttle body spacer
blox 70mm throttle body
4bar omni map sensor
6al msd with coil and cap. 3 step launch control
hks bov
Garret 102mm turbocharger.
Custom t4 front facing turbo manifold with 44mm flange
44mm tial wastegate
Custom water to air intercooler set up
aem eugo wideband w/ gauge
tuned on chipped p28
13 inch volks drag rims
2 15 inch volks rear rims
arp extended wheel studs
si cluster
150 shots of nitrous

im making 348 horsepower to the FRONT WHEELS because thats the only place the power should ever be

Fit for $3k 2020?

This 1,000%. New cars cost far too much and are far too complicated to keep running for the pricepoint. Once those old cars are all snapped up or crashed and scrapped or cannibalized for parts there will be nothing left

Why do people still post this and in response to totally irrelevant posts

Because forced memes are funny

In the next 5 years you can get oldish BMW M sedans and coupes. And the 86 twins of course.

>NA Miatas
>not cheap
How can they get any cheaper, you can cop a mint one for like $3k

s2000 like that other faggot said
80 series land cruiser
gt350
ford raptor
pontiac gto and g8
chebby ss
mercury marauder

plenty of other shit im forgetting

because I live in the northeast and all of them here are beat to shit or rusty, there is literally only 3 on my local craigslist and all of them are awful

chebby sanic

>handles gud
>decent aftermarket
>looks decent
>lightweight (for a modern car) 2700lbs
>already cheap

Look at sn95 cars. Same chassis, different spindles up front I think. 5 lug. All wheel disk. Stronger trans. 4.6 mod motor.

I love Mx3's and Mx6's!

Also I'm curious, was the Mx3 supposed to compete with the Cr-X? They look very similar except the front
And I imagine they have similar performance

>pic related look at how happy this little Mx3 made this couple! ;3

>$300-$500
I'm perplexed my dudes
How the fuck can you be this poor? I make that in a week working shitty retail. Do you farm rice or some shit? How can you only manage to come up with $500?

Reminds me of a boss I used to have. Dude made 56k a year but drove a POS exploder that cost him like $200 because he's an alcoholic and a druggy.

>t. Saved up $8,000 over a summer with minimal effort
Stay poor

NEET's I suppose

Current gen Camaros

>WRX
>My car
>Minitrucc
>Mustang
>Camaro
>Challenger
>Civic si
>Miata
>Toyobaru
>Nissan/infiniti g35/37/370z
>all Ford st
>Dodge dart turbo
>Saab 9-3
>Acura rsx

Already crazy cheap

slow piece of shit...i can smoke the fuck out of this in my 1994 EG hatch with a couple of simple mods:

10 point cage with Parachute
3 piece discontinued JoJo frontend
spec-R full drag suspension
Fuel cell with -8 lines from tank to motor
1 044 bosch pump
1200 rc injectors
golden eagle sleeved block
cp 10:1 pistons
Eagle rods
arp headstuds
oem h22 headgasket
Balance shaft delete
competition clutch twin disc
Port and polished head
skunk2 valve springs and retainers
Str cam gears
crower stage 1 cams
aluminium radiator with slim fan
gsr transmission with itr lsd.
qsd h2k intake manifold adapter
k20 rbc manifold
qsd throttle body spacer
blox 70mm throttle body
4bar omni map sensor
6al msd with coil and cap. 3 step launch control
hks bov
Garret 102mm turbocharger.
Custom t4 front facing turbo manifold with 44mm flange
44mm tial wastegate
Custom water to air intercooler set up
aem eugo wideband w/ gauge
tuned on chipped p28
13 inch volks drag rims
2 15 inch volks rear rims
arp extended wheel studs
si cluster
150 shots of nitrous im making 348 horsepower to the FRONT WHEELS because thats the only place the power should ever be

None but the cobalt ss and marauder would be considered cheap.

I hear the tarbos are really fun

>Also I'm curious, was the Mx3 supposed to compete with the Cr-X? They look very similar except the front

I think so yes. Both have fast-ish engine choices and sport oriented suspension

buy a vt commodore

90's mustangs
lincoln mark 7
prelude
3 series
merc with SC or turbo engines
diesel trucks
CTS
cobalt
nx2000
maxima
infiniti (various)
rsx

Basically cars that were popular when they came out, went away, and now you poor people can pick them up dirt cheap.

90s RWD Volvos with turbos.
Maybe even without turbos.

You will be gutted if you wanna get un-cracked interior plastic,but the drivetrain is indestructible and the turbos have a decent amount of kick. They handle pretty well, especially with aftermarket swaybars.

Well it is because you use money for nothing. A friend of mine drives a sub €1000 shitbox because he uses literally all of his money for travelling. Also my first car was €800 because I needed it for like five months for the job but then I went unemployed on purpose and sold the car for €600 (because it didn't have a fresh inspection).

Also I got a '91 244 (naturally aspirated, of course) with an extremely clean body for $700 cash in working order. They're still out there.

>$500
You ever see 24 hours of lemons?
There's a lot you can do with $500 and a dream.

lol dude almost NONE of those cars are $500 anymore. They haven't been for years and only chumps come to the track with that shit.

cars are more like $2-3k plus another $3-5k in work put into them desu

pretty not worth it to meme for a weekend when you can put together a spec NA/NB miata for not much more

fpbp

the days of the simple shitbox for the home mechanic are over. the literal miles of wire and gorillion sensors have raised the entry skill level a couple orders of magnitude.

Any car worth $7k or less today will be the next cheapo cars in the next 5 years.

Festiva

>ITT: Future cheap enthusiats cars

not current

>Old cars suddenly disappeared

In Richmond Foxbody can be had for literally 2-3000 in good condition. I got mine as a project for $100 back in March from a friend of my uncle. I’ve been working it back up slowly whenever I have the money.

I am in the NE and literally the only ones here are rollers for like $2 grand.

just wait for the price of steel to spike again or for another cash for clunkers initiative. enjoy paying 500$ for a center console bezel or 1500$ for a trunk lid.

Buy a parts car now. Problem solved.

There are 27 of em within 45 mins of me in Richmond va

working on it, trust me. those old timers with rows and rows of shitboxes on their property don't seem so crazy anymore.

How about a 1st gen Kia Optima?

Uses the same block as the Evo and only costs less than $2,000 for one in great shape; reliable, but not comparable to Hondas and Toyotas. Potential?

>tfw I have four Volvo 240's and a 740 sitting in a field for parts harvesting
>tfw I haven't paid more than $200 for any of the parts cars
>tfw an 80's Volvo wagon is my daily driver and my 2000's BMW sits seized up in my garage

350z
NC Miata
MR-s
Celica GTS
Matrix XRS
Neon SRT4
Cobalt SS/TC
MS3
MS6
G35
E46 BMW
Boxsters
WRXs
RSX
SVT Focus
Sentra SE-R
BMW Z3

Korean cars like the Hyundai Veloster are going to be pretty good for modding

You forgot the WS6

>Abareth
>Ever appreciating in value
Ok

I just bought an '02 mx-5 for $3800 last week.

SRT4 is getting to the lowest it'll ever be
also LS1 F-bodies

t. not a weeb

3 years ago I would've said GNs but its a bit too late now. You can still get T-types for a decent price. That being said
Firebird WS6
Foxbody LX notchbacks
IROC Z28 Camaros
Early 90s ZR1s
Mk3 Turbo Supras
Turbo MR2
Maybe some 2000s supercharged Jags

I'm sure there are more but they're not really in my taste set

I never get tired of seeing this meme.

i can think of one Abarth that has appreciated in value.

>Early 90s zr1s
>Cheap
Are you fucking high?

yeah he's literally saying it won't appreciate, that's what this thread is. future cheap cars

fucking dumbo kid

This whole thread is about cars that will depreciate. Read a book nigger

>20k average for a car that will appreciate
are you?

The whole point of this thread is cheap cars for future enthusiasts. A zr1 won't depreciate and it certainly isn't cheap.

I think they're badass but they don't exactly fit this thread. You aren't going to be comparing a zr1 with a Miata.

>Minitrucc
too late.

D21's, old yota's, datsun 720's, the legit mazda b's, mitsubishi and isuzu shit from the early 80's (i dare you to find pic related), all of it is disappearing.

I'm questioning why you would ever buy it in the first place

That's true, I misinterpreted it. I've been doing a lot of research into the topic. If you wanna get in on those get in on them now.

Damn, you're fucking dumb

>Smol
>Cheap
>Turbo
>5 speed
>Good handling
>Good sound
>Won't depreciate much further for the next 4 years I own it
>Gud mpg
>Easy to mod
>Fairly reliable
Pretty much it.

You can still get first gen frontiers for dirt cheap, and they have the ka24de so you have massive aftermarket as well.

Definitely ahead of their time. I wish they'd further developed that engine.

An ls version would have been fucking mental.

Then educate me faggot there's many cheaper, more reliable, and , in my opinion, better looking options. Tell me why its not a retarded choice.

>frontiers

fucking repugnant.

I always liked the Dakotas and Durangos from the late 90's to about 2004. Great styling and solid. I have a good feeling about those.

Whoops forgot pic

I've always thought they were boring-as-shit pickup trucks disguising as SUV's.
But I guess time will tell.

Relative to what?

Non-pickup non-SUV's.
If you want carrying capacity, get a station wagon which actually has some charm.

This is probably one of the last Dodge vehicles I actually thought was designed by a competent designer.

I was asking relative to what SUV, especially from that time period. That's all an SUV essentially is. The station wagon has been dead for years, and I agree, its a shame. I would love for some more dragwagons, hopefully they'll make a comeback
>This is probably one of the last Dodge vehicles I actually thought was designed by a competent designer.
Are you serious? You must really hate muscle cars and pickups.

SOUTHEAST MASTER RACE. NO RUST. SUB 5K PRICES SUB 200K

>You must really hate muscle cars and pickups.
I only hate pickups that are boring looking.
Muscle cars? I typically don't care for them. A couple exceptions exist, but I prefer small little sports cars like the Porsche 911 or the Volvo p1800 or most older Audi models.

I love this little truck, though (on the right, obviously).

Speaking of station wagons...
You can get a Volvo V70 pretty cheap, and if you get one from 1998 or post-2002 (or an 850 wagon which is basically like a '98 V70) it will be pretty solid.

(1999-2002 had horrible shit electronic throttle modules that went bad and were basically unrepairable without replacement)

>Dodge Pickups
>Boring
Just because you see more of them doesn't make them boring. I would love to get my hands on a Macho or an A100 pickup

that photo does nothing for me; sorry.
I don't even know what strikes you as appealing about that photo other than the ricer speed stripes.

I will say there was some old '70s Dodge pickup with a top that latched on. I did sort of like that one.

Might be the old Dakotas I'm thinking of?
Not 100% sure.

I love a Datsun truck.
Nissan could do no wrong in the 70s/early 80s, design-wise.

Chevy and Dodge squarebody are awesome. 4x4, solid axles, go anywhere to do anything you want. that and 1st gen Cummins Dodge pickups are awesome

my late teens and early 20s i was into the fast car craze but once i hit my mid 20s i just stuck to 4x4 trucks, just nice to be able to go anywhere without worrying about getting stuck in winter, bottoming out, can load stuff in the back, etc

frames were garbage on 620, 720 and D21 though. otherwise awesome trucks, i had a 88 that snapped the frame in half and still drove it for a few months sagged in half and ended up going to the junker running. frames should have been thicker like most 70s-90s Japanese trucks

Eh, the wheelbase is a bit wide for narrow mountain switchbacks in the rockies.
I'd take a Jeep CJ5 (or earlier) over a pickup any day.
(later Jeeps got a lot longer wheelbases and are less adept at those sharp turns on cliffs in the winter.)

I actually have a buddy with a CJ-2a that got so rusty on the backside that he turned it into a flatbed. He uses it constantly in Wyoming now.

I've never been in the fast car craze. That Volvo in the pic with the Nissan is mine.
114hp when new.

>Ricer
What
That's a factory paint job on one of the most absurdly american vehicles ever made. From the sound of it you seem like a contrarian of the highest magnitude or maybe a euro.
A simple google search would tell you that the dakota didn't exist until midway through the 80's the only pickup trucks dodge made in the 70s were the d/w, with a few specialty trucks such as the lil red express, the warlock, midnite express and a few others that are still essentially the same thing just a different trim package (pic related)

>'70s Dodge pickup with a top that latched on
Ford Broncos yes, Chevy Blazers yes, International Scouts yes, Dodge Ramchargers never.

Oh and Jeep Comanches too. Dodge basically the one and only American pickup that never did.