How are mopeds?

How are mopeds?

I've built a gas bicycle before with a shitty 49cc engine before and it was wholly unreliable, dirty and a pain in the ass rather than an enjoyable experience. Will I experience something similar with a new 2017 Tomos Sprint?

Why buy a moped tho?
It's not much safer than a motorcycle, definetly not faster than either a car or motorcycle
If you don't care about safety, just get a motorcycle, if you do get a car and if you are a poorfags just get a bike

You don't need a license and insurance in California if it's under 50cc, and if you live in a condensed city it's a good commuter. I see people zipping by in them all day and also really want one.

I have a car and electric bike but was considering a moped for cruising local streets.

A motorcycle would be good, but I was considering a moped as it may possibly be cheaper to insure. I don't know how true that is though, considering I'm a 21yo male in la county

Hence why I'm considering the bike. I live in the urban sprawl that is LA and the local traffic here gets more dense everyday. I'm not quite ballsy enough to ride on the freeway with a motorcycle, so why get a full-sized one, I reckon

>Tomos
rcrfags need to be gassed

What's rcr and what's wrong with tomos

im in la too man. dont get a 50, I ride one its terrible. get a 125 at least, genuine stella or buddy, or an old honda.

post your mopeds

theyre fun when you're 15 years old and live on the countryside and need something to travel to school. At least thats what I and a big part of the people in europe thought. But now I still think they are quite fun and I love the look of them.

Oh, okay, then it makes sense
In my shithole you need both an license and insurance, even if it's below 50cc

Shitty pic but my last ride before winter with my Puch Montana L, over here it's max 50cc and 30km/h for mopeds. It's nice though because you can drive on the bike lanes when you want to.

Usually don't commute with it since I live out on the countryside but I do drive with a moped club for pre '82 mopeds.

I'm considering a 125 as well. Do you pay insurance for yours?

Built a kit bike, immediately junked it and bought a real motorcycle.

Pulled a bike frame out of a junkpile, got it serviceable and ordered a $150 66cc motor kit. Had it built and running over a weekend, here are my thoughts.

They're cheap, and of you can source a bike cheaply it's a good way to kill time. You're not working with anything particularly complicated, so you can do some really cool things with basic skills. Anything you can dream up and zip tie to a bicycle is fair game. There's plenty you can do to them to squeeze extra power out of them and the only limits are what you're willing to try and what you're willing to have screaming and shaking itself apart between your legs. You could stop at simple port matching or go full retard with things like lightweight pistons, reed valves, upgraded CDI, exhaust, upgraded carb, DUAL carb, new head, even fucking nitrous is an option. If you have a bike with gears you can buy a jackshaft and use the original drive chain. Go fucking wild. The parts are easy to modify due to being made of cheap material and if you blow the block you just drop 50 bucks and do something else with your spare time for a few days.

PROBLEM: You're going to spend more time ripping it apart, making one tiny adjustment, and putting it all back together than you ever will riding. They're incredibly finicky, unreliable, and shake themselves and your bike apart. The whole thing feels and sounds like your impending doom at 35mph. These are definitely not serious vehicles.

The two smoke kits make fun projects but are far too finicky to be useful and shake themselves apart constantly. If you want a fun project and have idea you want to try on a bicycle go for it. Turn that fixie into a sport bike with cardboard fairings and a bottle of nitrous. If you want a commuter however, get one of the electric kits.

Fun for dicking around and running errands in town(and mad driftoru in snow), not so much fun for anything else.
Here’s my 49cc pussywagon.

>Much safer than a motorcycle
Have you guys rode a motorcycle and a moped? Skinny tires and small displacement are much scarier than a motorcycle.

>Why buy a moped tho?
>It's not much safer than a motorcycle
Retard alert, getting T-boned on a scooter and getting T-boned on a harley are exactly the same thing, only the harley actually has enough juice to hopefully speed out of the way if the rider is actually paying attention.

In burgerland, or at least my area, mopeds and motorcycles require the same license, and a moped that needs a little work and an entry level motorcycle that needs a little work cost the same, or you could buy one with just a dent in the tank for 100-200 more.

All a moped is is a declaration that you can't trust yourself not to drive like a complete retard.

Just get a 50cc scoot. More reliable, faster, more practical...

love this post

>theyre fun when you're 15 years old and live on the countryside and need something to travel to school.

When I was a sophmore in high school taking french, I always imagined myself riding through the french countryside with a moped with a grill

>It's NOT much safer
Tbh the only thing that makes a moped safer than a motorcycle is the speed you reach with it
You just confirmed what I said

Yes but like I said it's only safer in the way training wheels make a bicycle safer. It is transportation for morons and frat boys.

80s wedges get a pass as always but scooters are an admission of inability to safely operate a vehicle.

No, actually you HAVE to have insurance for every motor vehicle in California. Mopeds are two-wheeled motor-driven cycles with a displacement less than 50cc and limited to 20mph max speed. They're only subject to a one-time registration, however, and you don't even need a driver's license to ride one if you're over 16.

Some states are more advantageous to ride mopeds in. Some don't consider them motor vehicles, so they're effectively as unregulated as bicycles. Others simplify licensing/registration and most don't require liability insurance. California, however, does.

Stop sharing your relevant experience with a helpful, well articulated post.