What does Veeky Forums think of the Passat...

What does Veeky Forums think of the Passat. Looking for a family econo car as a daily driver and this is the only midsizer that nails and economy and fun equally. Dealers have been offering apocalyptic level discounts due to the TDI scandal as of late.

Don't recommend anything with a CVT.

Perfectly fine under warranty, about a 50% chance of being a massive moneypit when out of warranty. It's almost always relatively small problems that build up into a massive shitshow.

Cabin is a pretty nice place to be, driving experience is basically what it needs to be and nothing more.

Live in only city that builds them AMA.
The build quality is meh, from all the workers I've talked to. There are currently 7,000 cars that are considered illegal to sell because of california, and all have to be completely scrapped. However i believe that's a fucking meme, and VW is going to find a way to make a buck, so keep an eye out for some super cheap ones.
As far as the car itself, I understand it's just your typical econobox, and while under warranty will get you from point a to b with little trouble.

You do understand cvt is better and more reliable than a dsg? If you are planning on getting a passat pls get it in manual. You will thank me later. DSG is a shitshow.

it's a shit car. it used to be a budget audi. (b5/5.5) and now they're just trying to out-accord the accord and camry which is impossible. get a v6 accord or an ls430 for 10k.

I'm looking at CPO models with a 100,000 mile warranty so I should be good for a while. I'm planning on getting a 3 series as a DD when this is paid off anyways.

That is a myth. I'm in California and all the dealerships around here are offering retuned TDI very cheap.

No interest in the DSG whatesoever. I'm currently torn between a loaded 1.8t with the standard automatic or a manual diesel. The diesel however is a bit pricier and I understand they are difficult to maintain once they hit above 80,000 miles.

it's not worth it. these cars are shit.

Blows my mind that people go out of their way to buy modern day VWs. It is the only brand I see that has critical failure with less than 100k miles, transmission replacements are a feature on these shit-heaps.

OP, it seems like you have made up your mind. If you weren't such a dipshit, you would get a Camry or Accord and call it a day.

Accord is what I'm actually cross shopping this with. The seats in the Accord are astronomically uncomfortable however which is why I'm looking elsewhere.

I can't really find any statistics saying the NMS Passat has any major problems. I see a lot of shit about the old B6 Passat, specifically regarding turbo and tensioner failure but not many flaws with the NMS Passat. They seem trouble free from most of the consumer reviews I can find, other than a shit touch screen head unit which I don't really care about.

How much can you spend? cash or financing? how much down if financing?

Up to $20,000 but I'd prefer to keep it under $15,000. I'm being offered a Passat 1.8t with low mileage for only $13,000 with 0 down with a 100,000 mile warranty because I used to work for the dealer network. Can't really get that on any other vehicles in the segment because the only other brands the dealer network owns are luxury brands. Only other cars in the segment I liked were the Accord and Mazda 6 but both were horrendously uncomfortable and I'm going to be road tripping this long distance regularly. The Fusion piqued my interest too but I figured if I'm getting something non Japanese I might as well get the car I prefer. I also want something that actually hits above 30mpg in real world driving. Camry, Fusion and Mazda do on paper but not in actuality. Altima was comfortable and actually handled decently, but I was only averaging 24mpg in it and they have terribad CVTs.

Korean cars will not break the bank and are cheap as fuck to maintain. Have you considered Hyundai or Kia?

My friend picked one up recently. Its fine. Pretty comfy, pretty good styling(for a modern car) and should function fine as an econobox.
TDI would be a good idea if the deal is solid.
Hope you get something more fun next time/ or a project car.

I considered Skodas and VWs for quite some time but ended up with Toyota Avensis because of the engine and transmission problems. I've understood that the manual TDIs are pretty solid but everything else might have huge problems from 60,000 miles on, especially the DSG transmission. Toyota on the other hand is boring as fuck but I'm confident the 2.0L petrol engine in the Avensis will get me like 220,000 miles if I treat it well. Hopefully my daughter could learn to drive with it one day.

I'm buying one this week, for much the same reasons. I wanted a comfortable, nice-looking interior with an exterior that would age well, aesthetically speaking. I wasn't looking for much as far as an "engaging" driving experience, but the it drove well enough, so there you are.

Are Mexican built VWs worse than euro built ones?

POS nazi car that's way more off a pain in the ass to work on than its jap or domestic counterparts.

>OP, it seems like you have made up your mind. If you weren't such a dipshit, you would get a Camry or Accord and call it a day.
I had a hearty lol

Don't listen to these idiots OP, the Passat Variant is a great car for hauling around your family and other stuff. For years it's been the second most registered car after the Golf in Germany, and most of those registrations are for companies. There's a reason they use it, it has great gas mileage and a spacious trunk.

The US gets a different Passat than Europe though.

>muh mpg
just get a mint LS430.

It doesn't really matter where VWs are built. Just avoid any model with an engine featuring plastic parts. That's what kills the majority of VWs lately.

>LS430
>Fuel economy

take the 2.0 L 140 hp nice eco car but not fun
overwise
>family
>econo
and
>fun
is hard . . .

I drive 20,000 miles per year. I plan to keep this car for 5 years.

If this Passat averages about 30mpg and regular gasoline averages $3.50. Then I spend $2,333 on fuel per year or about $11,665 on gasoline over the time I own this vehicle.
The LS430 averages about 16mpg and premium gasoline averages $3.80. Then I spend $4,750 on fuel per year or about $23,750 on gasoline over the time I own this vehicle.

Even a Lexus is going to start falling apart after that age and mileage too.

>Even a Lexus is going to start falling apart after that age and mileage too.
lol no, any Lexus will outlast any piece of shit vw 10 times over.

>Weebs actually believe this

they're not as innefficient as you think. if those are highway miles you would probably get 22+ mpg

just check fuelly.

Most are city miles and I live in the mountains. It's not going to hit 22.

then get a prius.

My friend has an sc400 with 270k miles and it doesn't even have a single mechanical issue