Cats or no Cats

Im in the middle of a budget LS swap for a 1968 firebird. I got a mangled truck from salvage auction with working engine and trans. To make up the money im parting out the truck and i removed the cats and wondered if i should install them on the firebird. I intend for it to be a daily driver/weekend track car. My thought is the cats would make it more pleasant to drive in traffic since the exhaust would be cleaner. Any thoughts Veeky Forums? (Pic related)

Other urls found in this thread:

hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2015/04/When-Two-Equals-One---1968-Pontiac-Firebird-Ram-Air-II/3748449.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/big-block-pontiac-leman/6320427708.html
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://lt1swap.com/programming.htm&ved=0ahUKEwiL49PH6vvWAhVHwVQKHeFzAmoQFggmMAA&usg=AOvVaw19uFyNzbTP0NFLJEq-3kBC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are the second o2 sensors disabled?

Are you trying to use the ECU from the truck, a custom ECU or a carburetor?

If you're putting time into an engine that's modern, you might as well port over the emissions equipment and do the job right. If your engine's from before 1995 or so, I can understand leaving that shit out.

Idk about the exhaust shit but that sounds like an awesome project, good luck.

Im using the computer from the truck. I can get it reprogramed for my needs. Im also using the stock throtle body and fuel injection

It's out of a 2004 Silverado. It has pre and post cat o2 sensors. If i need to i think i can reprogram the computer to ignore the second o2 sensors

If you have someone that can tune the ecu for you then obviously get rid of the cats. Anybody who feeds you some bullshit about backpressure is an EPA shill

>I can get it reprogramed for my needs.
No you can't.

You remind me why they used to burn heretics.
Get a 455 to swap in and don't butcher the car.

I saw that stuff on backpressure but knew it was complete bullshit after seeing dyno tests. But i dont need the extra 5 horsepower and i dont feel like gassing anyone within 20 ft of my car. Im wondering if its going to be more trouble than it's worth trying to fit them in

where i am in Canada we have no emissions and its legal to de-cat so we all rip our cats out and sell them for cash. if you have secondary O2 sensors search the tin foil method, basically you remove the secondary with it still plugged in and wrapping it a certain way in foil will trick the sensor into reading correctly like theres a cat still there

and as said backpressure thing is hilarious, ive owned 2 trucks that i just ran a pipe directly from the exhaust manifold to under the drivers door, one was a TBi Nissan pickup and one was a carbureted Toyota Hilux that was open header and neither were affected by no muffler or cat

The original engine was removed in the 80s so there's no point to wasting money to put in a pontiac engine. Dont be a purist

Bullshit

The engine will gas everyone less than the original powertrain even without the cats. Just leave them off, put long tubes in.

Youre probably right. Modern engines burn the fuel very well and putting in cats might be more trouble than it's worth

I don't run cats.
If the cabin and exhaust are sealed well you won't be able to tell by any smell.
I don't run precat sensors, of course, those were tuned out. I say sell the cats and use the money to help fix the car up.

When you have the windows down at idle does the exhaust smell strong or is it bearable

Dude it's a V8. Sniff that shit and enjoy it.

I'd also suggest going the 400 or 455 route if you're building a weekend cruiser. Pair it up with a muncie 4-speed.

If you plan on doing a whole bunch of driving and want a more fuel efficient, reliable engine it's an alright choice, but don't expect it to hold much of a value.

Get a 400 or 455, its the soul of those old Pontiacs.

What province? Anyone with basic knowledge of the CEPA will tell you emissions are a federal thing. Just because you're exempt from mandiatort annual/biannual TESTING doesn't mean you're exempt from federal LAWS

The original two barrel pontiac 350 is gone. 350 SBC took its place and i have a 63k mile lm7 and 4l60e thats whats going in because id only care about originality if the original engine was in the car.

Again, im on a budget after parting out the wrecked truck i essentially paid $450 for a working engine AND trans. I dont have the money to blow on a $4k engine. Im trying to keep the restoration under 6k and most of that is going to disk brakes rewire and suspension.

>not wanting a ram air II
hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2015/04/When-Two-Equals-One---1968-Pontiac-Firebird-Ram-Air-II/3748449.html

If one showed up for free id shove that thing in there in an hour

this rebuilt Pontiac engine is $350-.
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/big-block-pontiac-leman/6320427708.html

Those engines were shit mate
My 400 cost me 900$ by the time I was done fully building it.
My advice is to wait until you have enough cash for a correct engine.

Im not putting a pontiac engine in there

Just leave them off unless you're unable to get the computer to work correctly without them.

Also are you in north county sd? looks like valley center or something.

Then you should be burned to appeal the Phoenix's anger

Too late. I was already burned by the car. Second degree up the arm

IT'S A SIGN!!!!!

>the people ITT insisting putting an LS in an old burnt up Pontiac is sacrilege

Didn't the last Firebird come with an LS1?

>[Wings of Fire in the distance]

Thank you!

look its the guy who wants every pre1970 car to be rebuilt to factory condition no matter how common the car was

To be fair the first gen firebird is more rare than a first gen camaro or mustang

My S30 has no cats and is just fine that way.

hi

Is that the actual car?

If everything including the VIN matching engine is salvageable and/or reproduction parts exist then yes, it'd be a better investment for yourself and the market. In OP's case there's no going back and he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

Yes, thats the car. Its in rough shape but its definitely salvageable. The only rust is in the floor pan

OP has stated the original engine is long gone and hes doing whatever he wants

>there's no going back
Not true. The car will be worth more with a period correct engine, even if not matching #'s.

yes he can. there are plenty of tuning shops that can fix this out there or get a diablo and a laptop and do it yourself.

I don't blame you. I went the keep it all Pontiac route. my 67 came with the 326. I found a 69 400 and built it to ram air IV specs. I would have spent half the money I did and got more power if I stuck a damn chevy in it. oh well at least it's still all Pontiac.

The Diablo does not offer a way to disable Federally-required emissions equipment. Can a local shop nigger-rig something, sure.

You fucked up in two major ways: 1. 455 or go home, 2. Ram Air IV has been obsolete for years. Modern cam grinders have much better grinds now.

Im sure someone has figured it out at somepoint

That's reassuring.

Actually, someone has google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://lt1swap.com/programming.htm&ved=0ahUKEwiL49PH6vvWAhVHwVQKHeFzAmoQFggmMAA&usg=AOvVaw19uFyNzbTP0NFLJEq-3kBC

Before you do any engine swaps or anything, try to find the vin on the car, then go onto a site that finds classic car vin's, it should give you all the specs like the engine that originally came with the car, then find how much a rebuilt "original engine" costs. Personally, that's what I would do.

First of all learn your history.

455 Post 1970.

Also crate engines these days are a lot less hassle and honestly I would just put in a Duramax in one if I had none.

i don't run cats in my ls1, i find most of the unburnt fuel tends to explode in the exhaust anyway.
does get hotter than it used to sitting at idle now though.

>Ram Air.

Literally restricts airflow and less effective than Trans Am scoop and air filter is literally in an enclosed case and an open air filter will literally draw in more air.

t. Functional Ram Air

Firebirds are almost non-existent compared to the others and everyone wants to make a Formula a Trans Am.

>pre 70s car
>cats

Dude. I know what was in there...it was a pontiac 350 with two barrel carb and a y pipe. Those things are nonexistent on any cragslist that isnt 600+ miles away. Fuck that. I have an engine and trans and im going to use it

OP is a neckbeard faggot trying to pick up chicks with a classic car

>turning a Firebird into a Fireturd

you should get an actual Pontiac V8 run no cats and a era correct chambered muffler turbo muffler or glasspack

but since youre ruining it just run dual straight pipes so it will sound like the piece of shit it is

>Get 400
>Stroke to 455
>Profit
also
>Thinking the most fun part of the car is a hassle.
>trying to make a classic "more modern"
I think user has a point

>Mfw thread invaded by purists who ignored the question

>Any thoughts Veeky Forums?
What does "any" mean to you, faggot.

I asked about the cats not the fucking engine read the fucking post

put a 13b in it for the luls and rake in the assmad

JDM in american muscle? What is this fast and furious

Drift missile