Hey Veeky Forums, I kinda want some advice/opinions. I'm currently DDing a 13 Mustang...

Hey Veeky Forums, I kinda want some advice/opinions. I'm currently DDing a 13 Mustang, but I'm looking to sell/trade for an FRS or BRZ. I've driven a family members BRZ a few times and I really enjoy the lighter and more agile feel of it. Anyone have any advice or knowledge on the quirks of those cars? Or any reason to keep my Mustang instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xwpka_DDJis&t=416s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just buy what you like. Not any more complicated than that.

Post picture of said mustang or this thread is bait bullshit

I mean I'm driving, but temp proof until I get home

Are you driving a v6 mustang?

What are your priorities in a car? Have you considered the Miata or a used Cayman?

Also, don't get a FRS unless it's a limited edition. The BRZ is a better value.

Get a used one and don't rice it with a rocketbunny kit

It's a v6 bone stock, I'm interested in getting something nimble for autocross and something semi easy to rice and take to meets. I'm not a fan of the Miata, and never considered a Cayman.

>easy to rice and take to meets

I know, I know. I'm just friends with a bunch of those kinds of people and wouldn't mind joining in.

They are fun cars, but you need to drive it like you stole it (that's half the fun though right?)

I would avoid the MY13s. The MY16s had a backup camera standard IIRC. Watch out for squeaky clutch pedals, that could indicate the TOB is on it's way out. Don't buy a modified one. Buy a stock one.

Torque dip and bad stock tires are the two biggest things you should know about, and I'm sure you've heard about those.
The BRZ generally costs more used, and you could spend that money on a decent set of coilovers instead. Unless I'm forgetting something, the only performance difference was in the suspension.

>Unless I'm forgetting something, the only performance difference was in the suspension.
Right, but the BRZ has better resale value, much better headlights, better seat fabric quality, and other small things that make it worth the extra price. The base FRS is ugly inside and out IMO. The base headlights alone make me cringe.

I'd agree on the seats, since I doubt he'd swap those, but since OP was talking about modding it, I'm not sure how much the other points would matter. Also, I like the front more on the pre-facelift FR-S/86 than any of the other variants, but that might just be me.

If you're used to your mustang's interior and like it, say goodbye to that with the brz/frs/gt86.

The interior is really simple and plasticy, doesn't have a lot to it and a lot of the furniture rattles and resonates. Its also not insulated very well so road noise is very audible even at 40mph

also people like to bitch about the torque dip. On a flat surface you won't notice it as the acceleration is pretty linear all the way through. However you will really notice it as the car will barely accelerate on any slight incline and you will notice it as you attempt to floor it. You'll definitely have to downshift into a 5000rpm+ gear

Sure, the front looks best, but only with the proper oem headlights, not that cheap shit

I work at a toyota dealership. fun reliable little cars, take care of it and it'll take care of you. if youre looking for something quick, light and nimble its the car for you.

Get an s2000 or 370z

Is it as easy to do work on as I think it is? Everything seems very clearly laid out within easy access besides spark plugs, which shouldn't need doing until higher mileage anyway.

>Is it as easy to do work on as I think it is?
its not exactly as roomy underneath, the suspension has literally no room for anything extra. I've seen superchargers work because theres enough room for it

By work on I mean regular maintenance. I'm wary of charging it in any way because it seems the stock setup is as close to maxed out as possible.

Also, is there any room for turbo piping?

>Also, is there any room for turbo piping?
yes, its similar to a WRX in that its the same engine and you can set up a turbo and intercooler the same way

It's definitely noticeable even on a flat surface, but it's not as bad as people say.
Yeah, no arguments there.

Cool beans, thanks dude. Final question, would you recommend a super or a turbo? Last final question, what else would you recommend altering on the 86? Like picture the perfect custom 86 besides having a WAT sticker in the back window. What does it have besides moar powah?

You should consider the new V6 camaro. It'll be about the same size as your mustang but lighter since it's on that new alpha platform. Also, it's faster around a track than the new Mustang GT

>what else would you recommend altering on the 86?
a nice set of slicks

forget the toysub brz meme car. the price of a new ecoboost v6 right now is cheaper than the brz, faster and cheaper than the incomming ecoboost 4 cylinder mustang. because ford are axing the v6 mustang its the forgotten red headed stepchild as they put it. you will find to make the brz any good you will have to modify it.

Bullshit. Really?

pilot sport ss to be exact

SC your mustang

Thanks broski.

No nvm, I'm retarded. It's faster than the old gen Mustang GT and new gen Ecoboost. The new Mustang GT is about a second faster. That being said, after having test driven both, the Camaro feels much more planted than the Mustang

do it op
people shit on these things way too much
i honestly think they are great cars.
all i can say is you might miss the v8 tourque of the stanger, you can buy a cheap turbo kit to whack on it tho and it will be fine then

Some of it is personal taste, but from what I've heard, the supercharger kits tend to be more reliable, and the turbo kits are easier to make power with. I'll probably end up going with a supercharger if I eventually decide I need more power. You can still make plenty of power with one and stock internals are risky past 300whp either way.

>370z
>light
>agile

Dude, don't even bother adding FI, it's obvious you know jack shit about cars in general. Just buy a BRZ, some lightweight wheels and a nice catback exhaust and call it a day.

The only worthwhile v6 Camaro is the ILE and that starts out at like $32k.

>Spending +30k on a turbocharged Ford
MFW

FRS/BRZ is shit. Utter limp-wristed weeaboo shit.

>because ford are axing the v6 mustang its the forgotten red headed stepchild as they put it. you will find to make the brz any good you will have to modify it.
You can't even buy a v6 mustang with the performance package. And you're implying that it's fine straight out of the box??

could you explain what torque dips mean please?

is it a sudden loss of power up in the rev range or what?

>could you explain what torque dips mean please?
Basically after 3500rpm the car begins to lose torque but gains it back after about 5000rpm IIRC.

It does cause it a bit of performance issues if you attempt to accelerate through this range. Its most notable when you try and floor it going up a slight incline the car will barely accelerate which is indicative of really really low torque.

Its probably the number 1 issue that people complain about in the car, otherwise they love it.

supposedly the torque dip can be tuned away with new headers and an ECU flash.

The new GT86/BRZ supposedly has a worse torque dip than previous generations where the older models had a dip from about 4000-5500rpm now its as bad as 3500-5500

>FRS/BRZ is shit. Utter limp-wristed weeaboo shit.
Not an argument

It means you dont know how to shift

>It means you dont know how to shift
It is a prevalent problem its very evident through acceleration and notable on a hill

youtube.com/watch?v=xwpka_DDJis&t=416s

5:00 he has the pedal to the floor and the car barely accelerates on what is a light incline, not steep in the slightest and the car BARELY accelerates

Lack of power in the midrange.
A header and tune can definitely fix it. This is stock, just a header, and header+E70.

I assume green line is torque?

Green is stock, red is header, orange is header with E70.