Australia is no longer in the car business

Its all over. The end of an era.

autoweek.com/article/car-news/heres-why-car-production-australia-ending-week

Other urls found in this thread:

111emergency.co.nz/N-R/PolicePatrols.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's fucking depressing.

So, does this mean no more utes, or it means utes for everyone in the world?

Former.

Well, fuck. How do we convince chevy to bring back el camino to export back to straya?

get a larger population with more disposable income?

>tfw holden is the new buick

No, I mean revive El Camino in the US and then make them send it to australia.

stop buying pickups

i have a 2015 xr6 and i fucking love it. great car.

i wish ford made at least one more interation of the falcon -- some kind of FGX-2 would be fucking dope.

Era? Aren't Australian cars just watered down and pussified versions of North American cars? Why would you manufacture shit in one of the most expensive places on the planet?

Rip SS ute and poverty Ford equiv
No

Won't happen, the ute started dying years ago when everyone started buying chink shit dual cab utes because they are half the price of a commodore/ford ute.

The only people left in Australia that are still driving utes are bogans and bogans are a dying breed in Australia.

Ford utes were always better work utes, Holden utes were always better toys for hauling dirt bikes.

It’s because of soft cocks and soccer mums these days buying their gutless 4 cylinder SUVs, it’s a way bigger market for that shit these days.
Not to mention the Union scum making our industry unable to compete.

Who cares? How many people does Australia even have anyway? 20, 30k maybe? They probably only have a few miles of paved roads, if that. I'd imagine most people still ride koalas there.

this

Australia designed the chassis for the 2010-2015 Camaro, GM had to import Australian cars for the G8, GTO, SS sedan and the Caprice police to the US Because they made better shit than the American divisions.

>Used ute prices going to go up
>Cunts exported a bunch of them to the US
>toyota, mazda and nissan dont make smaller 2x4 utes anymore

Fuck.

You must be joking. V8 ute drivers are high culture compared to twin cab 4x4 drivers.
I disagree. I'm sure that the HSV ute had a greater payload than the fpv even with coil springs and irs.

>Aren't Australian cars just watered down and pussified versions of North American cars?
Isn't that what America does to our cars?
Even the UK got HSV's.

got that mixed up bud.

This.
It's hilarious the sedan like IRS performance Holdens had a greater payload than the oxcart performance Ford utes.

>and bogans are a dying breed in Australia
They're also the ones still having kids. In a generation they'll be back.

>That's fucking depressing.
only for kagooroo

Don't forget the Koalas and Emus, fuck head.

F

yo what?
the fords are 1 tonners and the holdens have 680kg capacity.
how is 1000kg less than 680kg?

>the ute started dying years ago when everyone started buying chink shit dual cab utes
???

Sorry. I was comparing Utes, not cab chassis. Either way, I'd rather the awd vz tonner personally. I don't think they made one in ve/vf

All the fords are cab chassis you twat, don't start this bullshit again, even a dual cab chassis is called a ute in Australia.

Yes, but the ones sold with a "ute" back aren't made to carry one Tonne like the trayback

They'll be vastly outnumbered by wogs by that point, though.

they made some sick opel
will miss

>Not to mention the Union scum making our industry unable to compete.
Unions were just there to facilitate wages and working hours. The government didn't facilitate manufacturing, high taxes, low subsidies, and no tariffs. I mean why would you gut the industry by signing free trade agreements with China?

Face it, Australia has no self preservation. We aren't setting up the children of tomorrow, no jobs and no education, we're just going to replace everyone with "high skilled" immigrants while becoming a banana republic relying solely on minerals.

>becoming

I love the vr/vs desu. It blows my mind that they dropped the mid size seden for a giant pigfat VT.

Degree mills are still running, wait until we kill that off too.

>most expensive places on the planet?
and Holden started out only making horse saddles
then the seats for a rejected Chevy body style .eg the first Holden
neat thing is they kept old types alive for a while
like the last of the ford inline 6 dateing back to the first mustang

being in the middle of nowhere people need durable cars, as it is costly to get anything in even spare parts
so early on American cars were preferred and even Rolls Royce if people could afford it (think old endurance type rolls)
then japan showed up with cheaper cars that were also reliable
now the Koreans and china are starting to move in
they were around 2 or 3 decades ago but mostly ignored

I always like to see the older AU cars even if it is the police
111emergency.co.nz/N-R/PolicePatrols.htm

always see this type on state highway 1 and 3
the v8 and esp the v6 when super charged
they do 200+ easy

Can we really blame unions. Even if workers are on 100k a year and there is a thousand of them that money is not even the salary of someone at the top. High paid low level employees are just an easy target to blame.

>australian accent

>workers are on 100k a year
Fuck me, I wanna work in what ever factory pays that.

Reminder they call them utes because all the drivers have uteruses

>bogans complaining about the end of Australian cars
>have never bought a new Australian car

I am blown away
How are those utes not selling like hot buns?
Those things are some of the coolest cars around

Many people are afraid if they get a V8 they won't be able to control themselves and use too much fuel as well as losing their licence.

Another reason is a lot of people want something "safer" and riding higher up off the ground. And the Holden ute is one of the safest cars on the road.
They are still fairly popular with people under 25 though (partially due to it's dangerous impression) but these people don't usually have money

>one of the more common vehicles on the road
>nobody has ever brought one new

You mean like a gf?

Welcome to Australia I am on 130k a year driving forklifts for a major grocery company

Hook me up with a job, bro. I'm an expert at Sikkk forklift skids™

Good. Australia is playing smart by letting other countries make their cars for them so the Australians can use their time in other more productive ventures.

This, Australians should focus on what they are good at like finding a cure for cancer.

calling it now that shit will come out of Australia.

That "someone at the top" is actually worth those wages though. Blaming that someone at the top is an even easier and more commonly used target.

Like digging holes in the ground for China / selling houses and uni degrees

Yeah, he was so valuable that he run the business into the dirt, then left the country with a joocy bonus.

Doesn't matter what it is. If Australians were more productive by pissing in a sink than making cars, they would be fools to not piss in a sink.

Isn't that the Pontiac G8 GXP? We got that before Pontiac went belly up.

Heavy Manufacturing is important for any nation. There's a reason that every car company is heavily subsided by their governments.

>Heavy Manufacturing is important for any nation.
Like Hong Kong?
>There's a reason that every car company is heavily subsided by their governments.
Yea, lobbyists

I blame unchecked immigration creating a nation of bus riders.

Hong Kong is a tiny little place without room for manufacturing. Shit comparison desu.

no its the HSV GTS-R W1

pretty much a V8 supercar for the street with a 635hp ls9 out of the ZR-1 Corvette

>it's pretty much a v8 supercar for the street

Manufacturing is huge in Hong Kong.

People at the bottom have negotiated with those at the top to get that lvl of wages and Benefits, they are worth the money or they would not have been able to reach an agreement with the company

>Why do we ship millions of tons of red dirt to China instead of making steel here?

We fell for the American "free market will magically solve all problems so do nothing" meme that China, Europe, Japan and even the Americans themselves aren't actually dumb enough to fall for.

I've only ever driven Commodores, I don't know what I'm going to do.

VTs helped the shape evolve into VY/VZ tho, and the VZ HSVs look tough as nails.

And in QLD V8 rego is unbelievable. Don't know about the other states, but you're looking at about $1000+ per year and it only increases every year. Those XR6 turbos however... fuck they are beasts