Tyre/tire thread

Sup Veeky Forums, I had some Michelin PS4S' put on my ISF the other day. I'm pretty sure these were the best in my price range (300-400 a corner). Thoughts?

In the two days I've driven on wet and dry roads and they are fucking amazing.

Other urls found in this thread:

wheel-size.com/size/ford/f-150/2003/#trim-42-usdm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Enjoy all that grip you'll never use and that mediocre treadwear

I used it plenty last night. I bought the V8 for fun. Is 300 grade treadware that bad? It should last me about 20-40k depending

I mean realistically it's okay, not exact an R compound with a tread wear of like 180

But at that price you'll be going through them quicker than you think, especially if you're driving aggressively.
I've found that gripper tires are pretty pointless for a daily driver because of their price and lower tread wear and that the nicest tier from a tier down can provide like 85% of the fun at like half the price

If it's a track or weekend car go nuts

I'm currently on a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2. I'm planning on running them through the winter even though they're summer tires, it doesn't get too bad in Texas so hopefully i'm not sliding all over the place. I'm pretty happy with the tires so far.

So what are you saying, it's better to get the tires with the highest trend life? Because I feel like there's a big difference between high performance and passenger or stand touring. But you do have a valid point I'll admit.

Not the highest, just no point in going balls to the wall for a daily driver. 300 tread wear summer tires that cost like 75% are good enough for a daily driver in my opinion. You'll have just as much fun while saving money

Can you help an automotive retard out?

Im thinking about slapping on a new set of stock dunlops S 7000 on my 2013 altima.

Am I going full retard in thinking that the manufacturer chose them for a reason and I should continue using them If I have no complaints with them, or are there better and cheaper alternatives that would maybe perform better year round in Central US region?

the BEST tyres are pirellis. they come from italy. not like from france like the michelins do

t. maximo marconi

I'm in Norcal so no ice, I'm on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and they're great in all conditions, decent tread life as well.

just posting to say dont ever buy continental dws 06 all seasons. tire rack reviews be damned, they are the worst tires ive ever driven on. tread squirm up the asshole.

This user doesn't really have a good understanding of tires.

It's the same as buying a car - you don't go off the spec sheet, you go off of what the tires are actually like to drive on.

Michelin PS4S were designed PRECISELY for use as a daily driver tire for people with performance cars. The reason why people love the fuck out of the Pilot Super Sports (the PS4S predecessor) is because they make compromises in performance in treadwear, ride comfort, reduced noise, and inclimate (wet) weather performance.... but not so much sacrifice that you'd notice it much on the street.

PS4S tires are tires that you CAN take to the track and have some fun... for a little while. Once you start to really go at it for more than a few laps at a time, the PS4S start to get a little greasy and can't keep up just like the PSS that came before them.

Now are PS4S absolutely required for any performance car driven during the summer? Of course not, you can get something else that's either less expensive, or maybe it focuses more on driving feel and dry performance while sacrificing performance in wet conditions, and dealing with higher noise levels, etc.

And they cost twice as much for like that extra 10%. Not worth it imho

used a set of pilot sport exaltos and they were fantastic for autocross, track days, and summer driving, even when they were super worn and heat cycled a million times. looking to replace them, but i'm on a budget, would toyo proxes R1R or Falken RT615K be the better option for a tire that will take me to the track, drive there all day, and drive back?

OP here, just got back from a mountain test. I've never been a tire performance guy but these made me smile so much, where my previous R003's would start to slide on my favourite turns, the PS4S stayed grippy and I pushed my car just a little harder than usual and was colon disentangle I wouldn't slip.

Considering I payed $80k for this car, $100 extra a corner is well worth it for the fun and security.

What that user means is that what is the best tire you can buy in that class of tire (the pss class not track or drag etc). What you mean is what is the best bang for your buck tire in that class(which ever class you are referring to). Usually it not the same answer. OP seems to want the best in the DD class so this fits the bill there are other competitors also but he can decide his categories of dry grip wet grip price etc himself.

I have Michelin AS3s on mine. Its the 'performance all season' but they are basically rain super sports. Drove fantastic on the track but are as worthless in snow as any other trackable street tire despite the AS label.

I recommend if you like driving in the rain.

I switched to winter tires and already notice I can't drive has hard without losing the back end.

Michelin PS are the best so it's normal and cool
>Pirelli are for poor

These get shilled on those yt videos

I like my Pirelli supercorsas :^)

Why would you put your seatbelt on? It's not like you're ever gonna use it, am I right?

Nokian make the best budget tyres

Tire fag here

Stay away from Goodyear. They just aren't worth it. Personally if I wanted a cheap all season I would get ohtsu, falken, nexen, or MasterCraft. All of those can be bought for a reasonable price and they all preform good. Your best price to performance ratio is falken and ohtsu

hankook ventus evo2 pro v12 are pretty good, forgiving summer tyres. Reccomend them to people who are getting into sw20.

Forgot to mention kumho. They make decent budget tires as well.

I\ve had bad experiences with kumho on my mr2, caused me to snap oversteer everywhere on track but my friend with same car liked them. But he didn't track back then

>driving an MR2
>blaming snap oversteer on tires
wew

Why in the fuck would you buy DWS for driving quickly? Every review where they put the tire to a real test says they're grippy but soft walled tires suited for daily driving, not the toog. Did you actually do any research? You should have got conti ecs or something.

what a waste

you spent whole car money on a wear item

That's because kumho isn't a performance brand. They are an economy brand. If you want high performance buy Michelin or Continental.

>his whole car cost $1600

Plebeian.

I got a set of new staggered Forgestar wheels with Nitto Invo tires for my 2014 Mustang GT. Has the track pack so it came with Pirelli P-Zero Neros originally and they really weren't very good tires. I was going to go Michelin PS4s but I drove a friend's evo with the Invos and for the price I like them quite a bit. Better in every respect to the Pirellis and not very expensive.

What does you think about Hankook?

Slip>grip

I don't understand blowing money on soft grippy tires for something you aren't competing in. I have a hell of a lot of fun going fast with shit grand touring all seasons. I'm not trying to bash on anyone, but I'm just curious. At one point I thought I needed to spend money on good, grippy tires for my daily. Then I had an epiphany where I realized it's at least equally fun to hoon on shit tires, and my money is better spent elsewhere.
I dunno, I'm not trying to impress anyone with my car, especially not in the grip department, so I don't get it.

are ohtsus and nexens actually good? i always have questions about these off brands but they are hard to get answers for. you work at a tire store or what?

Grippy tires should be used on track days and autoX. They're just overkill on the street and wear out too quickly.

That's how I feel. I have grippy tires on my autocross miat. It gets occasional street use, but yeah.
For my street carz I just want something with good quality rubber that isn't dangerous and that lasts a while.

nigga 37 fucking dollars for tires. I'm almost tempted to find some cheap 14-inch rims off of craigslist just to run these tires on a Corolla. Winter tires are as cheap as 51 bucks in the same size as well. Holy fuck what a contrast with spending $250 a pop on 33s.

Are 215' Tires sufficient for spirited summer driving for a 1100kg/2425lbs FF Hatchback?
Got 195' for my winter wheels.

Grippy tires.
>drive really hard in the hills
>have lots of fun
Slippy rides
>drive really hard in the hills
>oops I am dead.

I'd rather look at the compund the tire is made from, and profile, not width. Get the width your manufacturer recommends. Otherwise, 215/45r17 do the job for me pretty well.

Anyone else drives the Yokohama Advan AD08?
They're pretty heavy but grip and turn-in stability is great.

Yes. Got them on the shed x 5.
I'm not a tire fag so can't really give any insight, but they are much better than the power racer II death tires that were on it before.
Heard of an AD048 that's supposed to be even more grippy

Nexens are great
Really stepped their shit up lately
I like their SU1

you shouldn’t be that bad at driving though that you are relying on your tires that much to get out alive

almost dying 7 times isn’t dying either

Tire fag again

Nexen is sometimes used from the factory, I know Kia uses nexen on their new cars.

Nexen and ohtsu both make decent tires, they aren't perfect but for the price they preform really good. I have ohtsu tires on my car and they do great, only problem is that the tread life isn't that long. Other than that, pretty good tire. Can't go wrong

I bought BFGoodrich G-force sport comp 2 a/s at costco and im waiting for monday to get them installed. The reviews over at tirerack seems pretty good on them and i bought them for mostly rain/ (maybe 2 weeks of) llight snow duty since i live in vancouver bc.

these are basically replacing a 4/32 - 5/32 worn down 8 year old chinese tires that came with the car that i bought used. Sumo tires wtf is that even

Yesterday I bought Continental ExtremeContact Sports for my Corvette. Can't wait to try them out.

What size?

275/40/17 front and 285/40/17 rear. It's a '96 Z51 package so it has 9.5 inch wide wheels all around.

hey boys. budding carguy here. looking to buy new tires because I found some huge ass tire rot cracks in mine. previous owner put on the set I have now from the junkyard, and when inspecting the car I didn't look closely enough at the tires. The tread could probably go another 20,000 miles, but the huge fucking rot cracks in the tread is making me lose sleep at night.

I don't know the first thing about buying tires. I live in Idaho and expect to be driving in snowy conditions frequently. Pls help me

>take a corner at 140kph, have lots of fun
>take same corner at 140kph, dead.
>take same corner at 120kph, yawn.

Hurr durr you shouldn't rely on the only part of the car that touches the ground to keep you alive.

Fuckwit.

Car and year? Stock rims for the car? Tyre card still on the door well? First thing to do is find out the recommended tyre size and then go from there.

Perfect size. Hope you have safe comfy experiences gripping on fast corners

I don't know what to make of this information wheel-size.com/size/ford/f-150/2003/#trim-42-usdm

I have those on my forgestars. The rears seem to be lasting longer than I expected but the fronts lasted maybe 9k with aggressive canyon driving. Car could benefit from alignment but the fronts were DONE. Would get again for price. Tempted to try federal 595 rsrr for price and use. Car makes around 390rwhp for reference.

I run pilot super sports up front and 595 RS-RRs in the back. car makes >600rwhp for reference. i only go in straight lines and the setup is amazing is a wonderful compromise between changing tires often and being able to put the power down. as long as i pin it above 50 theres minimal wheelspin

Thanks br/o/

Who else /expensive tire size/ here?
33s on the truck and a weird ass size on the car

Have a look at the side of your tyres and see the nukbers, should be xxx/xxRxx format or similar.

Dunno if this would be the propper threads, but are there car tires that are 30" tall that fit of 15" rims?

Back story; ive got a 67 impala that sits on 215/75r14s and with its 3.36 rear end, its pushing 3k rpms at 70mph. So the cheapest way to drop my rpms is by getting taller tires for the back (3-400rpm drop worth it?)

Also, what type of performance loss should i expect by moving up to such larger tires on the back?

Pirrelli master race

>they just came with the car

They seem like good tires tho, would consider buying another set if I needed all seasons. Where I live I can run summer tires all year

>next set will be Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s

Red Pill me on sport cups vs super sports.

Also, Bridgestone came out and spent some money sponsoring the BMW CCA track day i went too so i got osme blizzaks. PRetty happy with it desu. Good winter tire.

I have a set of these on my car, work pretty well in dry, wet & light snow. This set has about 20k miles on them and are getting down to the wear bars, so not thrilled with life of the tires but in every other respect they've been great.

acceleration will suffer, top end might go up a bit depending on if you are limited by redline or aero (probably aero in which case top end stays prey much the same) and of course the speedometer won't be correct.

this is probably a semi-retarded question, but tire related...is it normal for my still new-ish truck tires to make noticeable rubbing noises on the pavement when making a turn?

Nice tires on the car in the Baby Driver movie.

:3

Should have gotten 235s instead of 225s, but some people say 235s rub on PRHT cars.

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on both my (heavily) modified s13 240sx and on my new daily 2017 GTI.

In terms of dry grip the tires are the ultimate for a daily driver tire. When you drive in the wet its not so much the feeling of ultimate grip, but that no matter how much water is on the road it feels like your driving in the dry. Cold weather performance is meh, stay out of the power when driving below freezing. Grips fine once a little heat gets into the tires.

19" tire prices are so cuntish

Basic shitbox tires for my shitbox cost $120/tire at 17in and $180/tire at 19in wtf

>shitbox
>more than 16'
nigger

when it comes to tires I know nothing so I'm hoping someone can help me out here.im going to be working as a delivery driver this winter and I need new tires. winter where I am is fucking brutal so I'm wondering what a good set of winter or all season tires would be. driving a dodge dart btw

They’re decent tires I have them on my Velosturd Turbo. Can’t tell you much about treadwear but it has been 3 months 4k miles and still look new the treadwear. They handle decent and are really quiet, however on small imperfections/bumps they go a little wild or make too much noise but then again the roads here are really shit. On highways they make 0 noise at all and ride really well.

I haven’t tracked them or anything but handle pretty well on some spirited driving even for a FF shitbox.

>In terms of dry grip the tires are the ultimate for a daily driver tire.
With normal tires on sharp turns, the car slides (drifts) a bit which reduces peak stress on the bearing assembly. But with tires that refuse to lose grip, the car no longer slides and all that extra peak pressure is brought to bear on the bearings.

I wonder if over the long term, that reduces the life of the wheel bearings?