> Next Demo Day 15 (only a week left!)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Play Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Play Demo Day 14
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V (embed)

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2017/06/23/your-indie-game-will-flop-and-you-will-lose-money/
kickstarter.com/projects/2139542651/bokube
pastebin.com/XFwCPqES
amazon.com/Contagious-Things-Catch-Jonah-Berger/dp/1451686579
store.steampowered.com/app/603960/
youtube.com/watch?v=GI8VdVUfZm4
youtube.com/watch?v=8-5kvqZBRVg
espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19689352/rivals-major-league-soccer
twitter.com/AnonBabble

positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2017/06/23/your-indie-game-will-flop-and-you-will-lose-money/

been a while since I got to start off a thread on one of these

First for killing the fucking chicken "meme"
Reminder that memes are socially adopted inside jokes and not just you shitposting with the same theme to your faggotry for any prolonged period of time
Reminder that 90% of the "memes" in agdg come from one person

I still do not understand what those mind-control potatoes do

why did you game flop?

Just imported WorldMachine terrain in UE4 for the first time and accidentaly set the scale to 8km x 8km. Looks cool as fuck.

KILL IT

kickstarter.com/projects/2139542651/bokube

only true oldfags remember this maymay.

KILL
IT
jk good luck bokube

12th for respect your parents

he's right.
that's the concept of viral marketing.

make your game a walking meme.

Downloading bokubes KS demo now and it better be optimized or else.

they make the enemies in the aura shoot bullets when they die

what would you define as a success?

>blurry gif on the presentation page
This is not a good idea.

17th for our lord and savior gogem, he who will deliver us from the tyranny of Steam!

take into account how much hours did you work in your game, divide your profits from that, make more money than minimal wageslave rate in your country.

You can't force a meme. It has been attempted by every TV show and piece of media since the fucking printing press, it's not a new concept, memes are always formed organically. Only ultra tier mega autists don't undersatnd this because they've never been part of an inside joke in a social situation.

looks like those quirky PS1 games u used to get, like devil dice or mr.domino

music reminds me of Klonoa

good stuff

Progress:
I figured out how to get perspective-based movement working in Godot, so now my FPS controller has Quaternion-based rotation AND you move forward based on the angle of your camera. Their documentation was terrible, but I was able to use it to figure out how the scripting in one of the demo projects (cubio.gd) was moving the character. It uses the basis of the camera's global transform.
pastebin.com/XFwCPqES

Next I might add jumping and sprinting, or I might change it from a RigidBody to a KinematicBody script. I intend for it to be a general-purpose FPS controller in the end (complete with a simple gun with a few basic firing modes) that I will post as an MIT-licensed asset at the Godot asset library, so if there are any features you would like to see in it, let me know.

EVERYTHING wrong with indie devs, like a toxin that spreads through devs as well ruining the attitude and joy of making games - is because since the indie boom everyone jus talks about money, success, sales..etc

fucking bullshit

just like make game

Your game is amazing, ignore the jealous nodevs.

what are some team building games I can draw inspiration from?

Google only gives pic related.

memes are simply something people feel the need to share about becuase it amazes them.

amazon.com/Contagious-Things-Catch-Jonah-Berger/dp/1451686579

read that book.

It's not good so far, but
a) it's still selling (in fact, its still selling decently well)
b) we've got some stuff coming up

ah, I see

also, if it is not much problem, can you please make it possible to use analog movement+mouse aim? steam controller greatly benefits from

earning any money from your hobby is a decent step in the right direction, stop being a faggot

Alright going to ask a question again I asked last night: What's the best way in Unity to detect the end of an animation? In this case there's an attack which causes damage only when active, when the animation ends it should not deal any damage right. The animation could then end either by the attack finishing in which case it could be detected by an animation event. But what if the character gets stunned or killed? Then the "dealing damage" variable would still be set to true. I haven 't found a way of detecting an animation "cancelling".

godot 3.0 will save deving

>memes are simply something people feel the need to share about becuase it amazes them.
Then why do you think you can force people to be amazed with and share something? It's called being ham fisted and it's not good for a creator to do because it treats your audience like they're retarded and easy to manipulate and not all of them are, which will turn them off and make them correctly see you as a hack

Have any of you created a dark souls for mobile games?

how much did you make?

thoughts?

link to your game?

you can trigger code functions on any frame of an animation in unity. its in the animation editor. toggle the hitbox using that

read the documentation...

>memes are simply something people feel the need to share about becuase it amazes them.
That's wrong, by the way. News is not memes.

read that book pls before talking shit.

There's no reason to wait. Just use Godot 2.1 and then switch to 3 when it's ready.

read the book.

Added animation for when you exploit an enemy weakness for an extra turn.

It obfuscates damage numbers of front row enemies a little, so I'll have to figure something out.

which engines are the best ones if you want to make games for FREE

Why would I read some marketing gimmick book? I'm not trying to run a youtube channel and make shekels with views I'm making a game

cool.
why didn't you make real time combat instead of the turn by turn?

I know, that makes it possible to trigger an event during the animation. However if the animation is cancelled early, the event will never be called, if I'm not completely mistaken?

Because I'm literally stealing the SMT/Persona style of combat, I'm not too sure how that would work in real time.

>how do I market my game
>give me advice on where to shill
>why my X failed
>why nobody play my game
that book isn't about marketing retard.
is about why people share stuff (memes).

do you want to break your project?

you need to add a lot of style to make it cool. Make it edgy and shit
For the record, the combat was the worst thing about persona. The story was the thing drawing me in

>what makes things popular?
>what makes online content go viral?
This is opportunistic drivel intended to make money off morons who are think they will retire by making memes and viral videos. It's basic marketing ideas wrapped in "YOU WILL BE NEXT BIG MEME" hype for retards who don't understand how the internet functions socially. If you own a physical copy of this book throw it and yourself in the garbage.

Projects break all the time. It's not like you'll have a massive amount of shit done in the span of a few months (the time it will take for Godot 3 to come out), so porting over will be easy.

Really? I thought the story was pretty weak and predictable and only finished it because the Turn Press Battle is so satisfying.

To each their own I guess.

>hasn't read the book yet
>talk shit anyway
>too retarded to pirate it and read it

store.steampowered.com/app/603960/

Steam NDA, but 5 digits atm

>that book isn't about marketing retard.

>Contagious: Why Things Catch On
>New York Times bestseller and named Best Marketing Book of 2014 by the American Marketing Association
>Wharton marketing professor Jonah Berger has spent the last decade answering these questions
>Contagious will show you how to make your product or idea catch on

Yeah, not marketing at all.
>these are the "devs" in agdg
top fucking kek

Meet your average agdg "dev"
youtube.com/watch?v=GI8VdVUfZm4

yeah, because is used on marketing.

the book is about why things become viral.
read it.

>too stupid to pirate a pdf and read it on two hours

How did you get so many positive reviews?

Congratulations though. Been following your stuff for ages.

>yeah, because is used on marketing.
Yes a book about marketing by a marketing professor named best marketing book by the american marketing association is probably used with marketing
You seem to really know what you're talking about, do you have a newsletter I can to subscribe to?

>How did you get so many positive reviews?

By making a good game?

Monolithdev, is that you?

Your game looks really sweet.

Gogem is the end result of a marketing and "muh memes" minded dev. Just make a good game you greedy gimmicky fuck and forget about the marketing for a minute.

the book is pretty good though.

>not simply reading it
oh, I forgot this is the general where people scorn at books like loomis to learn something.

bye

Whelp godot masters, i'm working on a tactical rpg with an isometric map that has tile height, normally you'd expect higher tiles to be on top of the unit behind it, i have YSort sort enabled for the tile map, and the unit is a child of it, but i get stuff like in pic, when the unit is dead center of the tile, everything is fine, when it's moving however it will be on top of higher tiles until it reaches the next center of the tile, i do know the source of this problem, basically half offset and YSort don't work well together, the sorting works from the center of the cell regardless of the tile sprite, so when a unit is moving its Y position will be bigger than the half off sett tile until it gets behind another tile.
this is driving me crazy, is there a better way to do this? i wish there was a possibility to change the Z order of individual tiles, and i can't have multiple tile maps because i'd need 12 (one for each tile height).

Does he work in marketing, by any chance?

Googem is the end result of someone who doesn't actually like games making them.

That's why all his "games" have negative review scores.

>Googem
>Work

Why don't you guys make a game with RPG combat like dark souls?
I'm sure it would be popular

Dude, I'm literally making a 2D Pixel Soul-like right now.

test

I'm making Dark Souls except it's not Dark Souls at all. It's a pretty promizing concept.

The highest difficulty made battling in Persona 3 very satisfying. Didn't grind much either so I had to switch personas often.

lol'd so hard at the end.

Any of you faggots run into a problem where overriding UE4's AActor::Turn and AActor::LookUp stops the attached camera from rotating?

how can you make a 2D dark souls?

Zelda II

It's not like Dark Souls uses the 3rd dimension at all in it's gameplay 99% of the time.

Can replicate the gameplay pretty well in a top down game.

Anyone else doing FrogJam?

well it doesn't use the y axis that much unless you're fighting a boss that jumps but....
backstabs and strafing are used alot though

>backstabs and strafing are used alot though

Which can be done in top down games, as long as you allow the player to go through enemies with the dodge or something

How long did it take you to develop, from inception to completion?

Solo project or did you have a team?

Have you checked whether the thing you override was rotating the camera directly or the desired rotation instead?

I want to stop drinking and eating fast food but I can't

That wasn't me but this is. Thanks.

Sometimes the answer really is that easy.

We just need to convince more people that it /is/ a good game.

oh that's right.
I didn't consider top down games.

Goals now show a preview of the next level, including the position the player will be in when entering it. I will probably add something similar to the level hub too.

What was this game called again?

Rustled Sanchez

why people doesn't make no more isometric games?

>AGDG
youtube.com/watch?v=8-5kvqZBRVg

This is how peak dev performance looks like

A S C E T I C

I think that will pretty much always happen in 2D.
The origin point is what matters here. When the unit's origin.y < tile's origin.y it is behind the tile. Otherwise it is in front. There's a an option to change the Tilemap's tile origin, you can try to mess with that to get it better.

they hurt physically to make

just nonstop fuckery with the code, the art, and everything

and yet he talks like if he's some master developer.

the definition of dunning krugger.

why not use unity?

espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19689352/rivals-major-league-soccer

how's that pixel art coming along, user?

Mine was originally isometric, but it wasn't fun so I changed it.
I really dig isometric in simulator games and such, but for other things it's not ideal.

i want to drink n eat more fast food. lets switch lives like the movies.

Both character creation and menus are functionally pretty much done.
Gotta prettify them at some point but for now it's good enough.