Damn gti thread

ok boys... so I got one of these baddies right here, a *classic* mkiv GTI 1.8.
only problem is:

My brakes r shot, I need two lower control arms on driver and passenger, and theres probly oil leaking from the exhaust.

How many y'all work on your cars? Should I attempt these repairs myself? Is it easy? repairs are about $850 US in total.. alot for me!

done a couple repairs myself... oil maintenance, and replacing a coolant leak.

or should i sell this shit for a damn taco?

Those repairs wouldn't be too bad, brakes are simple enough even with changing disks. Control arm bushings will take a bit of force and work to change but is do able as long as you can jack up the car. As for the oil leak you better hope its just a leaky hose, or you might need a new turbo. Also it's worthwhile to clean out the intercooler, so much oil from the engine breather collects there.
Does anyone know how much an ecu tune costs? I've struggled to find any definitive prices for companies like APR. I have a mk4gti too btw.

Word helpful man I'm still considering paying possibly -- the oil stuff worries me a bit

You can at the very least easily do the brakes yourself, probably the control arms as well.
As for the oil thing, might wanna get a shop to check that out.

>My brakes r shot,
easy job, dyi
>I need two lower control arms on driver and passenger,
easy job, dyi
>and theres probly oil leaking from the exhaust.
you should sell this thing if it got this far

You can do the brakes at home, and the lower control arms, those shits are easy, just make sure to get the car realigned after this (or look up a ghetto realignment method on YouTube)

Oil should not be leaking out of the exhaust, only exhaust gases should be coming out. It's the oil dripping down the exhaust? Or is it coming from inside the exhaust pipe?
Worst case scenario you have a bad block, or a busted head gasket, but that's probably not likely.

I have faith in you user. Go look at mk4 golf forums too

A MkIV isnt a classic.
I drive a MkIII GTi and wouldnt consider it a classic yet.

Why the fuck do you gather around this piece of shit stone for 4 weeks every year and shit up my area with your pathetic stance faggotry?

ya dude thats kinda what Im thinking. I guess the next question is do I sell it to some noob who doesn't know whats wrong with it or do I fix then sell???

this.
brakes are tits easy, just make sure you got your torque specs, loctite, tools, etc etc
control arms really aren't that bad so long as you got the tools
you're probably going to have to remove caliper anyways so all in all even if it's rotors and pads you'll be fine.
alignment afterwards probably needed.

ya i guess im just nervous not having attempted a job this large before.

>telling a buyer about the car's flaws
>ever

Also why do gti owners always slam the shit out of their cars?

>that one time I literally saw a VW Rabbit with a GTI badge on it
kill you are self

>theres probly oil leaking from the exhaust.

How's that? You shouldn't even be able to reach 30MPH if there is liquid oil dropping from the exhaust because your whole engine would be on the verge of dying.

In which case you shouldn't be selling it because the buyer would notice it straight away.

It's probably condensed gas mixed with soot though, it looks like oil.

Looks like racecar

haha word ;)

a couple mechanics have told me this, also blue smoke when the engine starts up, and shit drinks oil pretty fast.

>blue smoke
H E A D G A S K E T

That'd be white.

I dunno, a few guys ive seen have all said leaky turbo, and that its like $1200 bucks. is that true?? ive never replaced a turbo on a car

I've seen new oem k03 and k04 turbos on ebay for around $350.

You're in luck, the mk4 GTI and especially the 1.8T has a massive community and a massive amount of aftermarket support as a result.
Everything about those cars and engines is documented and people have made upgraded parts for almost everything.

Time to go S3/TT-spec and hit that 225hp.

Just go stage 3+ pussy

>only coolant flows there

bad rings will do that as well
test your compression

I bought ur whore mum 4 a dollar m8