First Car Thread

I recently bought a 10 y/o Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDm as my first car
> did I do good Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zON4bWsl2Ek
gumtree.com/p/alfa-romeo/rare-alfa-147-official-red-leather-seats-mot-until-jan-2018-tax-until-march-2018-bargain-£925.-/1269615413
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Waste of money

>diesel
what are you, a farmer?

>diesel

next time you should consider buying a real car

All these butthurt civic drivers.

Good job OP you bought the best FWD sedan handler ever

youtu.be/zON4bWsl2Ek

What is wrong with diesels?

Care to elaborate?

My C180 was a rusty tin can but I loved it.

By the time I sold it the car was riddled with holes and the brakes were shot but I still had a hard time parting with it.

My new car is pretty much superior in every way but I can't bring myselt to love it as much as my old tin can.

nice

I want one so bad.
They're gorgeous. Much nicer than the sea of grey bmws and audis every cunt has
but I've acquired a German shepherd now so I need a hatch or estate.
Getting a 147 now

Welcome

>not getting the sexiest wagon ever made

AR's are cool, good cars. Though I personally don't like care for the way they look up front.

>JTDm
Jeżdżę
Tym
Do
Mechanika

>got polish gf
>visit her family in Poland with my 159
>her friends think I'm a business man cause I drive a 159
>tfw the only alfas I see in Poland are beat up rusty 156s

I want one but £££
Can get a nice 147 for like 1k where as I'd need at least 3k for one of those.
If I had the cash I'd get one, obviously

>buy 147 for 1k
>shit will break constantly and cost a lot of money
>buy 159 for 3k
>shit will break every once in a while and cost a bit of money

Might wanna look at a 156 wagon then. More space = more comfy for a big doggo.

You bought a DIESEL Alfa Romeo

Still looks the part though. Well done.

>if only

159 V6 Busso swap = dick sky high

>all the posts about diesel
>what is TwinSpark

I mean.. well.. would a 159 busso swap be easy to Do?
Should i brehs??

for a first car you could've done a whooooooole lot worse, good job. their diesels are surprisingly tough and no matter the engine it's still one of the best looking cars you can buy.

this is a nice thread.

Not sure, I think the 159 was an all new platform and I know it used a 3.2l GM unit instead of the old Busso.
Getting it to fit probably wouldn't be that hard, but actually getting it to work could be tricky.

That's a 156 mang

Fun fact. Alfa made the 1st diesel engines
They are also pretty good apparently.
More reliable than the petrol engines they make

I goofd see what you mean now

it's a good
>first
car

don't waste your time & money on engine swap bullshit, you'll pile on the problems if you do.

i'm assuming you haven't been driving long as this is your first car, i would say drive the tits off of this for the next few years to build up your road confidence, THEN sell/trade in for a nice V6 alfa.

My 159 2.2 jts currently has 130k km and I'm very disappointed in the power and fuel consumption
I also love the ruby red colour and beige leather seats in mine so I'd rather swap engine than buy a gm v6 159

Im not OP, I'm and it's neither my first car nor my first Alfa and I've also already put 20k km on my 159

Does she live in a province? I rarely see 156s nowadays.

Mate 147s are common as fuck. Parts shouldn't be expensive.I'm after a post face-lift one.
gumtree.com/p/alfa-romeo/rare-alfa-147-official-red-leather-seats-mot-until-jan-2018-tax-until-march-2018-bargain-£925.-/1269615413

Prime example of what I want

I've not heard they are unreliable-no worse than a 159 surely?

Yes you did, friend. Welcome to the italian family.

You did very good, OP. 1.9JTDm and 2.4JTDm are one of the most reliable engines. Most reliable if we are limited only to Italian cars. Is this auto or manual? Is it a saloon or estate?

Those were always on my radar and yet somehow I've never bought. I absolutely love the looks of it. Again, good job, OP.

I'm proud of you. The best thing about it is that it's a Ti, so it has the Ti rims, factory stance, ventilated rear discs and fixed caliper brakes up front.
My father has the Ti rims on his, but it sadly is a standard, not a Ti.
Don't be fooled by it being sluggish sometimes. It goes like hell in comparison when you really put your foot down when overtaking.
Depending on the mileage of yours, you may want to take a look at the intake manifold boost pressure sensor. It's often filthy. Cleaning it will make it rev much smoother. Look at the trailing arms, legend has it that some of them stood in rain water for some time, making the whole batch rust. On my father's 2007, they were indeed rusted.
Also look into Multiecuscan. You WILL most likely need it.
I think you mean they made the first passenger car using a common rail diesel in 1997 which was used in the Alfa 156. It traces its roots back to Iveco and Swiss truck manufacturer Saurer.

>my first car

The 147 is one generation older than the 159 and from the 156 era which is like one of the most unreliable Alfa Romeo era
Basically, the 159 isn't very reliable but it def is more reliable than the 147
The thing with Alfa Romeo is that parts are mostly original ricambi and less aftermarket

Yes outside Krakow
Beautiful area
Hello mjet how's the fiat

Trouble is that I won't have 159 money and I'm on a strict time line as current car runs out of mot in December and won't pass
Annoying thing is a saloon 159 I could just about afford but the sport wagons are more expensive

Hi my austrian friend, it's me from Switzerland, the one with the silver 156 V6. What were your previous Alfas?

Well then stick with the car you can afford
If you can barely afford an already cheap car you wont be able to afford repairing it

I recommend not buying an Alfa if you're on a tight budget

It's a weird situation because I'm only on a tight budget as my Mrs was out of a job due to ill health but now she's working again we're both making okay money and i could run one. It's just left us tight for time to save the cash before December.

I hear what your saying though. I want reliability without it being a boring ass car that blends in to the sea of grey and silver commuters I sit with daily

Hey bro
How's the rust on the 156 going? Are you done or still welding?
My previous Alfa was a 156 pre facelift 1.9jtd though I only had it for a few months
Had a Lancia ypsilon afterwards for a few months before getting the worst car I ever had which was a 2002 opel Astra convertible

Well then go for the 147 you linked earlier
Low mileage with new cambelt and the owner seemed to care for it because he put new Alfa Romeo emblems on the car

>going from glorious Italian soul and passion to generic soulless kraut trash
Big mistake.

I've got a new fiat. And it drinks like an irish.

I know I know
I was 20 years old, just had 2 Italians that broke down completely and I thought it can't get much worse so I bought the opel
Few months after I got it, the ECU broke and I couldn't get the car past 3k rpm which meant 100kmh was max on the autobahn..
Opel told me I needed a new ECU which would have cost 1500 euros but I had it get repaired by some specialized company for 500
I wanted to sell it after that but well.. the roof wouldn't open anymore after a few days so I spent another 500 to repair the problem.. but that didn't fix it so I just said fuck it and sold the car to just get rid of it.. I lost so much money but I was happy it was gone
Long story short.. fuck opel

I'm financially stable nowadays though so I take good care of my 159 and I'll continue owning alfas or lancias from now on

What engine?
I got my 2.2 jts to 20l the other day city driving lol

Thanks for asking. We're finished welding. Replaced a brakeline and the whole floor carpet. I'm only waiting for a new silicone breather hose from England. Then I can finally get the MOT scheduled and drive it again.

I also plan to go on a bit of a holiday and drive through the valleys of Ticino with it after it's finished.
The 156's also my first car. I got it for 1200 Swiss francs a week after getting an identical 156 for 300 Swiss francs. No rust whatsoever on that one, but it's beat to shit on the outside and needs new wheel bearings as well as a new clutch. That was pretty much a year ago.

>he did not understand

I was saying a 159 with a (swapped) busso in it, so you can have the most beautiful wagon ever made AND the most beautiful sounding engine ever made

That's pretty normal for Fiat for a very long time now. I remember my father's Palio with 1.6. 12-18 litres was pretty normal in a city.

159 with diesel is the only good solution. The petrol engines are GM shit that was forced to Alfa. They have so many issues it's ridiculous.

Yeah I got what you meant afterwards and I agree. Wet dream combo.
Mine would be black with red leather or vice versa. One day

Hmm is this remap fault?

I remember back in the days on the Abarth forum people talking about relatively easy 14 km/l with smooth drive but generally they ended up with 12 km/l.

A 30-50 hp difference has such this impact?

I had a dream of my dream 159 a few days ago
>all black 159 sport wagon twin turbo v6 busso with black scudetto and black badges, all chrome parts like the door handles in black and even the roof rails black
>interior also completely black
>black giulia wheels with green brake calipers

Good to hear brudi!
I can't even remember the last time I saw a 156 here.. makes me sad
I'm going to Switzerland this winter probably to go skiing and I can't wait to drive that long
Seriously man, I once drove my ex bosses new jaguar xj to Italy and I'd still rather drive the 159 long distance

>alfa romeo
>diesel

Neck your self faggot.