Is German car reliability a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegarage.jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

German cars are alright

>german
>reliable
lel

A while back I did a very scientific study to find which car companies are tops in terms of reliability. Here are the results, ordered from best to worst:
>German
>Japanese
>Korean
>French
>British
>Everyone else except American
>American

Not a meme. German cars are objectively the most reliable, and often the best in other categories too.

German cars are pretty reliable but what everyone bitches about is when something breaks you pay more that say your Japanese car because German engineering

More like
Japanese
American trucks and body on frame suvs
Korean
American everything else
Gap the size of anons moms vagina
European everything
Turd world indian chinese etc.

It's literally this, people think cost of parts factors into reliability but actually it has nothing to do with it. The other side of it is that idiots buy a car that has been beaten to hell and back and then continue to not maintain it and complain when something goes wrong.

In North America, no.
But not for reasons of manufacturing.

For example, a north american C class is the same C class in Europe (minus software changes to enable/disable homogeneous mode and other emissions controls etc, and the drivers side)
The parts are made in the same place.

The difference comes in the price of maintenance. Parts in North America are insanely more expensive than in Europe. What results is the owner simply can't afford to keep the vehicle maintained properly, aftermarket parts worm their way in, and maintenance schedules are skipped.

The vehicle itself had nothing wrong with it, it just got neglected due to cost, and the inevitable happens, it breaks down. On top of this, North America has a ridiculous fascination with "status" cars. People buy vehicles FAR outside of their financial means to maintain, and then blame the vehicle for not maintaining itself. As such, North Americans continuously purchase luxury vehicles they simply cannot afford to keep, and the best luxury vehicles are from Germany.

It's not uncommon to find Mercedes vehicles in Europe far exceeding 1,000,000 km. In North America, this is almost absurd to hear.

Same vehicle.
Different owners.
Vastly different life expectancy.

well this e46 coupe has nearly 500k km on the clock and still seems to be in good shape so they must be pretty reliable.

interior shot

This is impossible. I refuse to believe that there exists a Latvian car, let alone a BMW, that does not have its odometer turned back. Especially if the ad is in Russian.

>b-but muh double VANOS

That's actually a pretty good condition for an interior that's been through half a million kilometers.

Especially for a BMW.

that's what surprised me too, hence i screencapped this
my friend has a e46 330d with ''240.000km'' while in reality it has 910.000km

lol

You could literally prove any point if you cherry pick hard enough.

>Opel
>reliable

E Class is one of the most reliable cars from MB. 2010-2017 model years. The refresh was 2014-2017. 2018 is full of new shit and new parts so it remains to be seen. It likely won't be as reliable as previous because of all the new tech, but it is still going to be good.

Pretty much all German cars from the 90's - early 00's have at least 300-1.000.000 kilometers here, how is that cherry picking you retard?
Only in America cars with 100-150k miles are considered "high mileage"

How much pizza do you think your average engineer consumes?
That graph is wholly accurate.

Hows that Porsche reliability meme now?

My friend's dad's E90 330xd has over 430k km without problems.

Try W124, shit after that.

>well this e46 coupe has nearly 500k km on the clock and still seems to be in good shape so they must be pretty reliable.

poor e34.
what have those slavs done to you?

pfft i'd rather have reliable

would it hold out 500k km like that bmw interior though?

for you: thegarage.jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330

>too many example to greentext

I actually like old British cars. The unreliability meme surrounding old cars is bullshit there's not that much that can really break.

>clickbait article
if you quote jalopshit articles like those it is clear that you are clueless.

Isn't Opel Chevrolet?

Everyone knows Porsche reliability only refers to the cars. The SUVs are for women that don't get the oil changed.

>replace all the rubber/plastic parts on my E36 over the span of two years
>cylinder #2 is 30psi lower than the other 5 and plugs show slight antifreeze seepage (very light, like probably a teaspoon of coolant every other month)

yeah it fucking is.

European Mercedes = Base Model Diesels usually owned in fleets (company cars/taxis) that get a blank check to get fixed

American Mercedes = Fully Loaded and really only meant to be leased (then falls the fuck apart 2 years outside of warranty)

The parts aren't very expensive, you're just replacing more of them more often. Hell, I'd say older aftermarket BMW stuff is cheaper than Japanese parts until you hit the inevitable dealer-only part like a steering shaft guibo or LCAs on a 96-99 M3.

yeah no, my e46 vert 330 has needed four thousand dollars of work in three months

i'll dig up receipts if you want to see.

do not buy a e46 BMW

>euro anything
>reliable
jej

Majority of european cars are unreliable and expensive to maintain. There are a minority that are really reliable maybe even cheap to fix but might be older years or even newer ones that are reliable but still expensive to fix.

you can't just blow the head gasket on a e36.
you probably neglected the cooling system which lead to overheating.
That or you revved the fuck out of a cold engine.

oh no, it's retarded

>Kia 3rd

Bullshit.

Let's have it.

A sensible post.

>>>>>>I did a very scientific study to find which car companies are tops in terms of reliability

Depends on the brand.

Benzs are pretty good.
VW group is generally bad.
BMW is somewhere inbetween.

That's new cars, how about when they're over 3 years old?

Das nice

Why are e46 so cheap?

they're not even that cheap?
An e46 with the M sport package still goes for $7000 or more

my m3 has over half that and is fine. i really do think its just depends on who you buy the car from.

>86 and BRZ most reliable cars
Nigga what the hell is this scam.

I thought the unreliability of German cars was the meme

How do you measure the reliability of a new car?

(((semetic techniques)))

the M54 and other bmw straight 6's were pretty bulletproof outside of singular issues in certain models (injectors/HPFP on N54, covered in warranty). It's usually the dogshit coolant system that older bimmers have that end their lives

you dont even have to neglect the coolant system on an e36 for it to fuck you over. The entire coolant system is plastic, even the water pump baka. Anything can be broken instantly and lead to the car overheating fast as fuck

I wouldn't call kraut cars reliable. Can't even tell if the blinkers work. I never see their owners use them.

no matter what anyone says my 17 year old bmw has never left me stranded

So does the average Ford or Fiat in the second hand market around here. There a fallacy in your logic as you're implying that "muh 1mln therefore BMW".
Any car if properly maintained can reach 1mln, likewise any car if driven like the average Veeky Forumsutist will probably die within 150k miles.

You look for the highest mileage car you can find on craigslist and then use it to assert that all cars made by said manufacturer are reliable.

Post one ford or fiat for sale with 800-900k kilometers I dare you.

Now, my dick won't suck itself

You forgot Italian.

>1.200.000km Panda

What they wont tell you

>3 headgaskets
>a rebuild
>and a tranny swap later

Most wont even know themselves that because they are the 15th owner.

>1.9 million km's
yeah right.
when you search any used cars in classifieds the highest mileage cars always have unrealistic mileage just to attract clicks and views.

Get your ASC fixed dumbass

All you need to know: never own a German car out of warranty.

>161k miles is over 480k kms

Not even close

Own Mark IV Golf
Shit that happened so far:
>windshield wipers started screeking
>aircon is fucked, windshield steaming up coz antifreeze is leaking somewhere
>1 electric window not operating at all, another one works very slow and sometimes stop mid-way
>turn signals sometimes dont work, aka repetitive "ticking" sound in relay, before that they werent working at all (or blinked once) until car is warmed up good
>manual gearbox is shit. hard to shift in 1st, 2nd gear makes "KRRRRRRRR" loud noise in whole neighbourhood (up until car is warmed to working temp), 4th has to be shifted harder than usual, cause it will gets stuck in the mid-way
>shifter is so fucking long, 1st from 2nd is like 25cm of space. what for? holy shit, give me short throw shifter for fucks sake, it aint some S class
>both side view mirrors heating element does not work
>electrically set sideview mirrors dont set up properly, in order to choose right one, you have "play" with button like so: left, left, right, right, adjust left one, right, try adjusting right one, once again choose left, there we go i can now adjust right one, oh wait, it adjusts up, even though im pressing down. oh well, retry until that shit actually does its job
>dome light sometimes works, sometimes not, its all about luck. im not even surprised when light is on, but suddenly turn itself off
>hazard button is quite high in dash, so very unlikely that someone spilled his shit near/in button, but it doesnt press smoothly, you press it once, you have hazards enabled, you press it again at the button doesnt go "back". so have to press repetitely like 5 times very hard, as if i were trying to reach my prostate
>locking button from inside doesnt actually lock. you press it once, all locks go down, and after a second, 2 of 4 locks go up (ie 2 doors end up being unlocked), therefore i had a problem when i was ordering a new keyfob at some dudes company, he has been programming new keyfob to car for like 2 hours

Opel is Peugeot

>implying you didn't do the same for your gay little BMW

Opel is GM you brainlets

My BMW has 980.000 actual kilometers.
If you would read and translate the text he says it's the original mileage.
Maybe he has disabled it?

anything that isn't a toyota, is unreliable shit.

VW = varies widely. The whole German auto industry is a make work program, their cars are over engineered.

Does one model of car need a dozen different power steering lines? If it's a VW it does.

>My BMW has 980.000 actual kilometers.

pics, or it didn`t happen

Why would he bother disabling it? You can turn ASC off with a press of a button

feel like bmw, mb, and porsche more or less have it down. Of course some exceptions like cla, gla, etc where they're literally pandering to the poor people who want status.

E46 is a pretty timeless design. still looks modernish until recent times.

I avoid vw/audi even tho they have a few cars i kinda like.

my 2005 530d.
disabling is a synonym for switching it off

>(((consumer reports)
Yes, stuff like infotainment usability are really important metrics goy!

once whatever known problems are taken care of on. your model specific type BMW u should be fine. do your research to find out what the known problems are.. N63 engines are the worst of the worst, but the inline 6s are solid.. mostly cooling systems in old bmws fail but I was surprised how reliable they've been.

>Turd world indian
Maruti Suzuki is literally un-destroyable.

>He don't knows

If the ad is in russian I dont even bother with reading it. If the vatnik mongoloid was not able to start the ad in the state language, he can go fuck himself with his fake adidas man-purse.

i wish the odo would add another digit after rolling over 1 mil

it depends where the german cars are built,the ones built in germany tend to be more realiable than the ones assembled in russia, ex ussr or spain are very flaw friendly

My family owns a skodia of 3 years, my golf r32 thats 9 years old and a quattro q5 thats 11 years old.

None of them ever gave me any troubles, only the r32 has had one issue but that was also because its modified. the q5 is still on its first clutch lol no slipping.

you are the problem of society lol. he doesnt even HAS to include description of car, everything you need to know about it is written in numbers and math stuff like kilowatts and so on. he written the desc because he felt like to, if you call him he may talk with you in latvian probably.

>Is German car reliability a meme?
In the US: Yes.
Anywhere else in the world: No.

I meant to type skoda octavia but my brain melted them together.

Drunk Adidas wearing man baby detected

i havent worn adidas once in my entire life
i drink alcohol only on special occasions
>man-baby
whatever the fuck you meant by saying that

german cars are very unreliable, especially VAG/Audi, and especially modern ones. DSG and TSI/TFSI engines are a disaster. and even BMW got sued for it's engines breaking down all the time (the n54 which according to shills like is a FANTASTIC engine). and the most unreliable cars of all time besides land rover were early 2000s mercedes

it might have been the case 30 years ago that you could get a bulletproof mercedes but not anymore. if you want reliability you have to go japanese

furthermore tests like are not valid because they take in complaints like no cup holders and slap them in a ''dependability survey'' that is -NOT- reliability

this is also completely wrong because manufacturing/assembly is almost completely automated and the reason why modern german cars break down so often is because they are over engineered and designed with planned obsolescence in mind

they also shilled stuff like good interiors but a 2000s e-class is on par with a fucking opel, and nothing more. you have got to be stupid to fall for the shilling of kraut cars

You have to go back

He meant that you are a subhuman piece of waste.

Audi was always pretty lousy but at least 90s models had mostly problems with rust
BMW had great reliability in the E36 and E46 era but is only average today
Old diesel Mercedes Benz are fucking bulletproof, newer ones are okay but nowhere near good old days

I think it has to do with the decline of proper mechanical solutions in favor of electronic ones

The f30 is far more reliable than e46 and e36. Stop this fucking new cars arent reliable meme

>Audi was always pretty lousy but at least 90s models had mostly problems with rust
Audi 80/90 B3/B4 from 90's wants to speak with you.

German cars were hyper-reliable in the 60's - 80's, but in the 90's they decided to over-complicate their designs that reduced reliability and made parts and maintenance expensive

Funny how this is the car that holds together better than everything else they made before, or after both mechanically and in terms of bodywork.