Not buying the most reliable car ever

>not buying the most reliable car ever

Whoever had mine before me obviously liked to enjoy it, but so far it shows no sign of wear beyond feeling just slightly loosened up after 40k. Underpinnings seem pretty beefy for a unibody that seems like it's made out of reinforced aluminum foil in many places.

>buying a pigfat slow tryhard boiracr that looks like it was designed by a 15 year old

well yeah, components don't exactly get stressed at that low of power

>most reliable model is a car that's been out and unchanged for almost 5 years now

>same size and weight as a 240SX but with better power, handling, reliability, and safety
>100% of problems fixed with a supercharger and an afternoon

>car has been out for a couple years
>judging reliability
> a fucking flat four

>implying the 240sx is any kind of standard to anyone except DRIFTR kids and gooks

Look at Ford, the Focus has been on the market since 2011 and ranks as the least reliable car on the least reliable maker.

It's the dual clutch issue though, the manual focus isn't unreliable.

>that's been out for almost 5 years now

Fuck.

car's been out for like 6 years bruh

does CR include infotainment complaints? That adds a bunch that aren't really problems ("waah i can't connect to wifi!")

>not a turbo

e.g. not a long time

>sacrificing the linear power and instant response of a naturally aspirated car because MUH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOST
12 year old taste

>buying an NA
>it has a torque dip
YOU HAD ONE JOB YOU ASSHOLES

>parasitic losses
>linear power
Soozefest
>no BOV noises
It's like you don't want people to turn their heads

Superchargers are gay and barely add any power.

Seriously I was almost going to supercharge it and then I found out superchargers are gay. Dodged that bullet!

Too bad. It would've matched your taste in partners.

>tfw remember how we shitposted about them before they came out

>not liking S/C whine
>50% more power is not enough
If you want 400+ HP get a Mustang or something that doesn't have 12:1 compression. A supercharged 86 making 300hp is great and doesn't need a shitload of supporting mods.

Turbocharger flutter >>> Supercharger whine

>Implying I didn't

Look at the ND and it's glass transmission. The car makes like 160hp lol

Casual spotted

The old Porsche Cayman had torque dip too. What's your point?

>paying 30k for that underpowered piece of shit

>What's your point
Nobody complained about the torque dip in the Cayman. It's a total buzzkill if you're buying an 86 for
>dat linear NA feels
especially because it's a bit gutless, really. At least make good use of what you've got if you've got sort of just enough to recall a golden age of little jap racecars.

>Casual spotted
Hivemind faggot detected. Thinking turbos are for casuals on Veeky Forums is like thinking grass is green in real life. You didn't come up with that thought and everyone around you agrees.

>not twincharging

>the most reliable car available right now is a sports car

>Torque dip
>Prius tires
>Sports car

u rite

>tires
get changed
>sports car
according to wikijudea
>torque dip
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ONE JOB ASSHOLES

>front engine rear wheel drive
>long hood, short deck
>limited slip diff
>manual gearbox
>useless rear seats
>not a sports car

That just sounds like a normal car.

other than the long hood yeah you just described most FR vehicles

>Look at the ND and it's glass transmission. The car makes like 160hp lol

I'd still get the ND over a BR-S

yfw the FR-Z86 is literally two full size americans heavier than the ND

>mfw when you put two full size americans in a BRZ and it weighs over 3200 lbs

Put in three of them and the funny part is it finally feels normal because you're never below the torque dip and you can beat and swing dat ass around like you don't give a fuck.

Can you fit three full size americans into a gt86?

Yeah. Third one goes sideways in the back. There's more room there than you think because the ass of the back seats goes way back. But unless manlet then femur length precludes being able to sit properly unless there's a midget in front.

Ok, so on average they have maybe 75-90k miles. You just made his poin, good job.

>everyone only drives as many miles as the average person drives

>what does average mean?

the point is that plenty have over 150k so it's quite easy to discern the reliability

MSRP for a new BRZ is 25k. People easily get them for less.

>It's a total buzzkill if you're buying an 86 for
>>dat linear NA feels
Maybe it could be like the s2k and not make any torque until 5k?

>Implying the majority of Veeky Forums doesn't flock to turbocharged cars.
People on here gush over the fiesta st and memeboost mustang all the time

ND also has shit for cargo space. Hell it doesn't even have a glovebox. Who spends 30k on a car that doesn't have a glovebox????

That's not how average works user

>Maybe it could be like the s2k and not make any torque until 5k?
That's what it pretty much does as is. Except when you get lulled into bumping around below the torque dip only to fall on your face when you're feeling comfy and fine and then forget about the torque dip.

There's no excuse for this. Apparently the 2017 version has some groce thing in the console that proudly displays the massive torque dip because, I don't know, maybe autists like curvy lines? There's no reaons to enforce torque dip when it's like #1 or #2 complaint in competition with more power.

>People on here gush over the fiesta st and memeboost mustang all the time
Fiesta ST only because it's a hot hatch. Veeky Forums dislikes the Ecoboob stang

you can very easily get a statistical representation of average reliability from relatively few samples . so if average is 75-90k you will have plenty with higher to tell if they are still working well

Everything you just said is false. A car with most all highway miles is not representative of the same use as a car that sees all city driving, and vice versa. Climate is another factor, driving habits another. There are too many factors at hand to count on small sample sizes.

You still have to make projections anyway, and hope they're right more often than wrong. That's how Wall St. employs all their traders.

I mean for fuck's sake when I was looking at one of these I checked consumer reports and the FR-S had stellar ratings while the BRZ had toilet ratings. I's literally the same car except for trim and maybe suspension depending on year. So that tells you how pants these ratings are in the first place.

>That's what it pretty much does as is.
The 86 makes more torque at 2.5k than the s2000 does at 5.5k.

If the dip bothers you that much, just get a header and a tune and your problem is solved. So many people act like a car for 25k brand new will be perfect out of the box. That is simply untrue. Any car for 25k will need some tweaking to get the most out of it's platform

>. Veeky Forums dislikes the Ecoboob stang
There are several on here that own 4 cylinder mustangs and a lot more who would buy one today if they were given 25k.

Who the fuck cares about 2.5k in a car like this? The point is they let it go for five or six years based on the NA meme for more than a high school kid can afford new.

Where are their heads at? This should be a simple fix. It's inconsistent with the selling points other than that it is gud if you push it in the last 2-2.5k RPM of its range and it grips like a madman.

Those are legit complains but they should separate the complains in different categories when they publish stuff to the public because they look like a bunch of idiots and people wont subscribe to them because of that.

How are the sales figures on these? I want to buy one used for cheap but I can only do that if people buy them new.

Should've been a FRS/GT86 TRD and BRZ STI treatment for like 32k. Turbo, super, tune, whatever. Just more fucking power and no stock torque dip.

The excuse for not making them better is that the sales figs remain strong. I am seeing more of them around, so I guess that could be true, but I live in a place where rich kids get mommy to buy them the latest kool kar.

Used market hard to tell. I got mine from an adult who just plain wanted more power. But there's great potential for saturating it with riced heaps.

>The point is they let it go for five or six years based on the NA meme for more than a high school kid can afford new.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Who says this car was meant for people in highschool? That's what the Scion iA was for. It's not like the car is expensive though, plenty of people fresh out of college buy them all the time.

And since when are NA engines a meme? Part of the reason this platform is so reliable is because you don't have to worry about all the extra parts that come with a turbocharger. Go check out the Fiesta ST and Focus ST forums, they have plenty of issues already. Hell, even stock Focus RS owners are reporting blown head gaskets on completely stock cars. How many turbocharged cars have you owned user? Sure they are great for making power on a dyno sheet, but in real world driving they leave a lot to be desired, especially once you start cranking up the boost.

If you don't want NA then don't buy the ND or 86, it's as simple as that. Go buy a memeboost or fiata if that's what you want.

Different strokes for different folks friendo

Over 100k have been made already. You won't have an issue finding a cheap one. You will have a harder time finding a cheap one that hasn't been beat to shit though

They sell a shitload here in one of the richer parts of Canada. Asian kids get them as graduation presents. Sadly that means these kids have money to spend on "tasteful mods" which means it's going to be hard to find an unmolested specimen in the future. Even normal people are ricing them out at alarming rates.

>Who says this car was meant for people in highschool?
It was literally sold as a Scion to begin with, and as a replacement for the drought of old 240s and whatever else you used to be able to get as a high school kid. Literally the car high school kids should want down on the used market. That's why they fucking made it.

NA engines aren't a meme. NA was part of the selling point, and if you want to base this car on high compression NA then don't blow it on a faggy drive by wire throttle and a goddamn torque dip. Those are the things you sort out within the first few years. Fuck the competition. Otherwise it's like watching Ghost Busters with an all black woman cast and it's a two weekend box office flop.

I am starting to see a lot more 86s even in my podunk midwestern village. Just this year though.

>most reliable over all
>top 5 include Audi and BMW

>It was literally sold as a Scion to begin with, and as a replacement for the drought of old 240s and whatever else you used to be able to get as a high school kid

When you adjust for inflation the 240sx cost more than the FRS though...

This car wasn't made for people fresh out of highschool. It was made for people fresh out of a 2year college, and that's who mostly buys these cars.

>NA engines aren't a meme. NA was part of the selling point, and if you want to base this car on high compression NA then don't blow it on a faggy drive by wire throttle and a goddamn torque dip. Those are the things you sort out within the first few years.

Daily reminder that the FA20 is still the most powerful NA 4 cylinder engine in production.

Why are you so afraid at the thought of modifying this car? If you want a RWD coupe that weighs under 3000lbs and makes more than 250hp from the factory then you are more than welcome to buy a Cayman for $55,000

Also, do they even make cars with throttle cables anymore? Just curious

>midwestern
Hope they make seat heater switches do something different depending on which way you click them. Call me crazy, but one way should be a little bit warm and the other way should be good and warm.

I think Japs have snowy parts, so they should understand this.

>adjust for inflation
My next door neighbor picked up a 240 in halfway decent condition (shocks were shot, exhaust was on it's way out, typical high school things) when he was in high school, and had money left over to chuck a sub in the back and ask me to help him wire in some fog lights.

Don't get me wrong; this is a great car and when I let said buddy take it for a spin he got very nostalgic. But if I buy one for as cheap as they are, why can't I just push a button to change the factory tune to
>go mode
or whatever? That'd be a selling point. Why do I have to go aftermarket when I'm not in high school anymore? And as to why they don't make cars with cable throttles, it's because they're all pussy nigger faggots and little kids these days don't know what it feels like so they don't know any better.

>Hope they make seat heater switches do something different depending on which way you click them. Call me crazy, but one way should be a little bit warm and the other way should be good and warm.
??? That's how the factory seat warmers have worked since the car was first produced. Not really sure why you thought otherwise

>Literally the car high school kids should want down on the used market.
Yea, but it came out in 2013. Just now are used 86 twins coming into highschooler price ranges. It will reach peak highschool status in the 2020s.

They made them because no other manufacturer was making a RWD lower power lightweight 2+2 coupe. The 86 is basically that entire market.

No it's not. And if you look on the forums you'll find the same thing. You learn to flip it from one direction to the other to re-roll the dice as to when you might or might not get a burst of heat or wonder why there are two settings.

And this is one of the things I actually begrudgingly like about winding up with a limited.

>My next door neighbor picked up a 240 in halfway decent condition (shocks were shot, exhaust was on it's way out, typical high school things) when he was in high school, and had money left over to chuck a sub in the back and ask me to help him wire in some fog lights
Ok, how old was 240sx when he bought it? The FRS is roughly 5 years old and people are buying used ones for around 15k. Give it another 5 years and you will be able to find them under 10k.

>Why do I have to go aftermarket when I'm not in high school anymore?
Dude, you are more than welcome to buy a 10 year old Cayman for 25k and get exactly what you are describing. Like I said before, you are wanting a brand new car that is perfect out of the box for 25k in the year 2017. That simply isn't going to happen.

My 2 settings work just fine.

I wanna seeya in a Kia!

I agree that these are going to be stellar high school cars in due time, assuming the Jewish Satanic Talmudic Communists don't win out. Point is I don't want a Cayman for 25k when I can get a 15k FR-S that will never be a Cayman but could be so much better for pennies on the manufacturer end after 5 years. What would it cost them to put a different engine in, let alone a different map?

They already have a different intake. If the exhaust is a problem, they can fix that.

And fuck you if your seat heaters are amazing. I still like mine and I'm glad they don't go to oven degrees like on some domestics but at least make them be consistent and not cause people to have their minds wander to flaky German electronics.

I regret not getting a new FRS for $23k in 2013. I wouldn't have bought an AE86 in its place and fallen down that rabbit hole.

>0-60 6.9s
reliable maybe, but that's all

>Daily reminder that the FA20 is still the most powerful NA 4 cylinder engine in production.

There's the new camry engine and the ilx engine too. Probably some others too

>Infinity, Audi, Kia
>that high

Camry a shit. You could put the SHO engine back in them but they'd still be death-by-not-even-murican-power suffocation boxes.

>tfw in parent's camry
>tires probably worse than prius
>try as hard as I can around the clover leafs
>can't get all tires to squeal
>I'M GOING DOWN HILL DAMMIT THIS SHOULD BE EASY
>turn off O/D
>transmission still won't kick down
>rrrrrrrr
>finally make it back up the ramp to the highway

so much fucking nothing

Ok, you're right about the Camry, it looks like it makes 3 more horsepower from a larger displacement engine. From what I can tell the ILX doesn't make more power. If you can think of any others, let me know

Hondas k24 makes 210hp

That is a fucking patrician garage

you forget. same/similar mrsp with inflation in the us for baseline.

Actually the GT86 is cheaper than both the AE86 and 240SX accounting for inflation, on top of being superior in basically every way.

They don't make the k24 anymore though?

I only wish the 86 had a hatch version.

Looks ugly.

Nah, it's beautiful. I would totally trade mine in for that.

>BRZ front on GT86
Why did nobody do this yet?

Kaboom

Because the original 86 bumper is the best bumper

>using that many buzzwords

I love the 86 things, but reliability numbers have a LOT to do with the type of people who buy the cars and the processes with which dealerships record and report issues.

smile > grim

Stop baiting, faggot.

>buy 27k car
>dogshit slow
but but but 7k supercharger makes it faster!
>34k car now
>could have bought Mustang GT PP and still be faster

>supercharger is 7k
Innovate makes one for 3k
>a 3800lbs boat is more fun than a 2700lbs sport car with almost the same power to weight ratio
Benchracer detected

>Buying a Mustang and not an Alpha Camaro

>versa, the cheapest nissan car is the most reliable of the brand
>toyota went from 1m+ mile t-100 god machines to tacoma's being the least reliable of the brand
how the mighty have fallen.

Where's GM?

On the side of the road

>calling the toybaru a sports car
fucking kek

Want to explain why it's not a sports car?

In before
>Sports cars need to have XXXhp!!!!!