Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
Please describe to me, what are some of Veeky Forums's quirks and features?

Features:
Anonymity
(relative) Free speech

Quirks:
Autism
Neckbeards everywhere

the design strongly gives off the 2003 aesthetic which some may like some other not
The Captcha system is still in use although it is proven that it has no use
Some parts like /pol/ give off a Reddit feel that is not welcomed by most

You're a faggot OP go back to plebbit with the rest of the Doug poster losers

Fuck you, Doug

Plebbit sounds like the noise a frog makes

>Top Gear compares Veeky Forums, reddit, and tumblr

How does it go down, Veeky Forums?

>that bit in the rx7 video where he says a polar bear could be in the rx7 and it would weigh less than a 3000gt VR-4
>then it shows a picture of a polar bear and monkey noises play

what the fuck?

What did it mean, Veeky Forums?

Some boards are okay as long as they're specialized enough, but all of them carry a haughty elitism about them that is totally unforgiving and honestly vindictive. I'd stay away if I were you, most of the gems that are born here are hidden by an ocean of negativity and everyone here seems to have a collective chip on their shoulder. Everyone is so afraid that they'll see unwarranted criticism by someone else that they preemptively become their own as well as others' biggest antagonists. This kind of behavior is especially present on the higher traffic boards where people feel like they have something to prove (eg, pol, v, a, tv). The only thing that makes this place any different than a place like Reddit is the "culture" which is actually worse. People here might describe Reddit as a sycophantic hugbox, or they might explain that the karma system there necessarily engenders groupthink behavior, and these criticisms are fair, but these same behaviors are reflected in a much more toxic and pervasive way here where the culture depends on its contrarianism and cynicism. How many times has someone made an innocuous opinion on this site only for it to be shot down and sage-bombed by an unwelcome chorus of people that get off on withholding even a single iota of positivity? Despite what people might try to convince you, this is not a place for discussion. It is not a place that gives equal space to ideas. It is an echo chamber, just like any other. Anyone trying to convince you otherwise is essentially trying to induct you into a cult. Lurk here for a few days. If you don't like it, as you should, leave. Don't let anyone bend your will into staying here for fear of being too fragile, because those people are the most broken people here. There's a great video essay on YouTube called "Why I Left Veeky Forums" by JT Sexkik.

It's completely anonymous. You don't even have to sign up. People post without even having a username. Can you believe that? Someone saying something without associating it with their identity?

why are you still here, buddy

i noticed it too. i was confused as fuck.

Same reason you are

Go back there.

lost

>free speech

I'm not from there, I've never been there, and I've been here for seven years. This is exactly the kind of intellectually lazy, dismissive behavior I'm talking about. What's worse about this specific response is that this isn't really a genuine call to banishment as it may seem on the surface. It's proselytization disguised as banishment. When someone says "go back to plebbit," they don't really mean just that. What they're actually saying is, "as long as you don't think and behave like I do, you don't deserve to be here," which isn't an attitude that lends itself to the free flow of ideas, a point that so many people here try to allude to when characterizing the falsely perceived strengths of this environment.

>How many times has someone made an innocuous opinion on this site only for it to be shot down and sage-bombed
How many of those negative replies didn't also get replies agreeing with or defending the first post?

>negative responses, which increase the visibility of disagreeable opinions, are the same as shadowbanning and downboating into oblivion
This reasoning appears to be the center of your entire argument (correct me if I'm wrong) and it's a steaming load of shit.
I would even go so far as to say it's a product of your own insecurity about people vocally disagreeing with you, but that would be intellectually lazy and dismissive.

You've also failed to remember one more key feature, which is anonymity.
Not having to maintain a reputation makes it easier to say things that might seem disagreeable.
Not being tied to any previous posts means the content of your post is the only thing anyone has to judge it by.
Not having to be concerned with seeming inconsistent or ingenuine in your opinions makes it much easier to change your views about things.
If you impose these restrictions on yourself it's your own fault, and you're not necessarily representative of the whole population.

How can you make all these judgments about what users generally do when you're only one person? Have you conducted a survey?
Have you considered every reasonable explaination for the things you've observed, and found your reasons to be the only ones that make sense?
Or are you projecting your own habits and insecurities onto everyone who uses this site?
Or worse, maybe you're not even that advanced, and are projecting them through the lens of whatever that youtube faggot said, which you feel describes you (and therefore everyone else) perfectly.

>as long as you don't think and behave like I do, you don't deserve to be here
more like
>as long as you hate this site and argue that reddit is superior, you should be there instead of here
Now you've gone and not only misinterpereted what he said, but constructed an entire imagined belief system based on it, then viciously attacked it and added it to your list of reasons why you wish you were on reddit right now.

Not the center of the argument, but a central point among it. The center of it revolves around myopia to these same traits that is inspired by an unfounded pride. Unorthodox or unlikely opinions in the face of a culture that condemns such ideas find themselves frequently ignored if not publicly reviled, which leaves the discussion thoroughly one-sided, the orthodox participants more confident in their opinions, and the status quo unchallenged. The anonymity present here, for all its practical purposes, is no different than the pseudonymity found on literally every other forum on the internet, reddit no more special among them. While not exactly the same, you're far enough removed from your real identity that you feel the same effects, some people even gaming these systems by creating throwaway accounts. The point being that anonymity is not a special or unique feature to Veeky Forums or imageboards in general. But that point aside, there can honestly be a case made for staking your opinion in a persistent identity, and that case is in curating yourself into a more well-adjusted, predictable, and amicable character. Most importantly is that this case aside, there is no shame in changing your opinion in real life. Why should anyone believe you are being disingenuous if you express an opinion inconsistent with previously held beliefs? This isn't necessarily a restriction people place on themselves, because change is the very nature of opinion. It sounds to me like you've made assumptions about the effects of persistent identities that aren't necessarily there. I'm not speaking from a place of objectivity, I'm speaking from the behaviors I've personally witnessed in my experience being here, and from what I can observe, a lot of people carry with them a baggage that they think anonymity can absolve. I think the biggest point I can make in all of this is that it is not a vice to show sensitivity to others, and it is not a strength to be desensitized to cruelty.

>publicly reviled, which leaves the discussion thoroughly one-sided
You can't stop fucking it up, can you? The point is that the arguments are NOT one-sided.
Getting a lot of negative replies not only draws massive attention to a post, it also provides ample opportunity (which is taken more often than not) to have a two- or many-sided discussion.

>curating yourself into a more well-adjusted, predictable, and amicable character
This curation is what encourages unchanging opinions and groupthink. "Predictable" of course means unchanging. "Amicable" almost necessarily means "agreeable," especially where heated topics of debate are concerned.
>Why should anyone believe you are being disingenuous if you express an opinion inconsistent with previously held beliefs?
This is almost the definition of disingenuous. Holding an opinion that you've disagreed with in the past is grounds for skepticism of your beliefs in the eyes of many I've argued with, which ties into what I think is the most important benefit of true anonymity (which you forgot to address), which is not being associated with your past actions and only having your post judged by its content.

>a lot of people carry with them a baggage that they think anonymity can absolve.
This baggage being what if not feeling constrained by one's past actions? And if anonymity absolves it, even purely in the mind of the user, then it has served its purpose.

>it is not a vice to show sensitivity to others, and it is not a strength to be desensitized to cruelty.
Except when you're trying to argue against hivemind mentality and saying shit like "How many times has someone made an innocuous opinion on this site only for it to be shot down and sage-bombed" as if those things are equivalent to suppression of your opinion.
In that case, being sensitive to the opinions of others is the ONLY force that would make you try to conform (a quality unique to an environment where your opinion's visibility is not on the line).

Ask yourself honestly, have a majority of the arguments I've witnessed been made to a productive conclusion? What difference does the visibility of these opinions make if my conclusion to them remains the same? Have I gained any insight from this discussion, or does it exist simply to further entrench my opinion? Persistent identity does not necessitate a persistent opinion. Why should you fear others judging you for your reputation for any other reason than insecurity? Sincerity is not a hallmark of anonymity, impulsivity is. Your aversion to sensitivity belies your assumption that argument is predicated on antagonism. Dogma pervades discussion on these boards because it feeds off of conflict. If there was sincerity in the desire to convince others, it would be done so on conciliatory terms, but this is never the case because it doesn't satisfy ones emotional needs. It is a surrogate activity for satisfying ones frustrated need for power. Do not act like this environment has made you callous to criticism, it has only taught you to be more efficient at rejecting it.

>0-60 in 3.9s
>acceleration is 6 out of 10
every fucking time

it's the noise a polar bear makes you stupid fucks

THIS

autistic neckbeards vs nu males vs trannies

wow

>tfw no quirks in the last two hours

if you post your unpopular opinion on leddit people will just downboat you and nobody will see it. here you're forced to see my shitposts at least

You think too hard and yap too much. Hush.

To be fair, he's explicitly said that he's basing the scale around supercars. Still stupid though.

When I watch one of his videos I usually turn two steps down the pitch on my audio card setup because I can't stand his preteen voice

what car was 3.9?

>relative

I cum every time I hear DougScore.

>Anonymity
>Freedom of speech (relative)
8-2=6
>Autism
7 (it's a positive quirk)
>Neckbeards everywhere

Bonus: shitposting/benchracing/shills- 4

8+6+7+3+4=28/5

Rounded Veeky Forums DougScore- 6

You're insufferable, user. Have you been taking Veeky Forums too seriously all these years?

Personally, I have learned many things from this shithole. Social behavior, life tips, how to debate. Not to mention the many laughs I have had due to the creativity and cruelty coming from the users of this site. It's simply human nature expressing itself in a virtual environment, with no censorship; it's only natural that in such a place some opinions are worth more than others. They have to stand out from others, all in a context of banter of freedom of speech, with no fear of punishment.

If you can't find a board that suits you, or you can't feel at home with the rest of the anons, maybe it's not your place. I have fun here and I will keep doing it as long as I want to.