Everyone knows about how long old Diesel mercedes last, but are the gas models any good?

Everyone knows about how long old Diesel mercedes last, but are the gas models any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Ht7-KZCNGk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes.

How do long do they hold up in comparison to the diesels?

Nobody can give you a proper answer, as every engine has been held up differently, but I wouldn't expect the petrol engines to last much less.
My father's S320 w140 blew a headgasket at 440k km. And the engine hasn't been treated with proper respect. And that is not from the "golden" era.

Not as good, but since we're comparing the petrols to multi million kilometer diesels, we're still talking about a realm well upwards of half a million kilometers, perhaps a million kilometers.

they will go for pretty long, but only if the other things next to them are treated properly too.

I would still kill for a mint w123 coupe in sky blue or beige.

My dad's Mercedes E Class from 99' had over 700k miles on it, i was in it when he crashed the thing.
Loved that car.

No. K-jetronic fuel injection is not fixable. Also primitive ECUs cost $2000 to replace.

all the pre 1995 mercs have the same standard:

the body will rot out long before the engine starts failing

they use old merc diesels engines as backup generators in africa and asia

well maintained, a pre 95 merc will go forever

How about late 60's, early 70's 230/250/280 sedans.
I've seen a few for sale locally, and going fairly cheap. Around 3 to $5k for ones in half decent shape. Tempting projects.

>Everyone knows about how long old Diesel mercedes last

Honestly I don't know but whatever problems do happen are always fixable.

If you maintain an older Benz petrol inline 6 it will mechanically last forever. That being said ignition and fuel delivery components will fail at some point, while. Mechanical injection pump will get a little out of time but still work forever.

>S320 w140 blew a headgasket at 440k km.

But muh million mile Merc meme!?

>all the pre 2003 mercs have the same standard:

>the body will rot out long before the engine starts failing

Fixd. Do you not remember the W210?

Tho this hardly applies to Africa as it mostly a desert.

>mechanic injection systems can be a bitch
>some years of the 230 4cyl have issues with the camshaft material, but most should have been replaced by now
>some of them (mostly the smaller 6cyl) are torquless wonders which can get very slow and thirsty when combined with a auto 'box

The 16v (2,0 and 2,2) and 24v (2,8) engines in the later W124s are actually pretty good.
Very reliable, the 4cyls are pretty economical while the inline 6 is not slow and still decent of fuel.

Plus the petrol cars where often used as private transportation (diesels for taxis and company cars) so low mileage examples are very common

Good thing the fuel injected 3.0l is almost a direct swap and easy to find.

Owner of a 1988 Mercedes Benz 300E with an M103 engine that has done about 340000 kilometers here.

I can basically confirm what said, MB's petrol engines themselves are almost as indestructible as their diesel counterparts but you are likely to have some issues with the fuel delivery components. For example my car used to randomly ran very rough after driving a while and at the worst had me drive to the side of the road and spend a while fooling around with clutch and accelerator pedals just to keep the car running. These issues were however mostly fixed by changing both the fuel filter and fuel pump (changing the fuel filter in particular helped a LOT) and I also had small fuel leak as rotting fuel lines are a thing on petrol Mercs. I still have some random minor hiccups but my car now works fine 95% of time.

tl;dr: petrol engines are good but the fuel delivery system components leave something to be desired.

I wonder how well my W124 would run with MegaSquirt or with this:
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ht7-KZCNGk

Bullshit, my w202 was from 1994 and i sold it at 320.000 km. The body was fine, a little bit of rust outside the doors but nothing serious. Car had always been parked outside.

But how many winters?