/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last Thread : >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Age of Decadence, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME
youtube.com/watch?v=COPybKtOceQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ppzTFgwZxhc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are you playing?

Niko's butt like a pair of bongos.

>Terry, Nern and Olan
As it should be. If you played through it with anything else you were doing it wrong.

granblue fantasy
heroes of the swarm
age of decadence
darkest danjun
danjun fighter online
TSW legends(but not very much)
just downloaded Endless Space 2

paranautical activity

How is it? I've tried it a while ago and it was pretty boring & buggy

Replaying OneShot. It will never be the same as the first time, but I like it all the same.

Don't die on me.

easy and then stupid difficult
it's fun enough to replay at least

BOY I SURE DO LIKE NIKO'S BUTT
I WANT TO SLAP IT LIKE A BUNCH OF KIKONGOS AND THEN HUG THE POOR CRYING NOTCAT KID

Also, got Subnautica because it was a sale.
I think it was a terrible idea, because I almost drowned once and even since, I've been scared of water.

Subnautica is pretty fun. Probably the only gathery crafty survival game that I legitimately like and that's because they executed the game's main idea so well.

can we stop
seriously what if niko is reading all this
what they'll think of you

Yeah, but youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

Niko's too cute to not be interacted with.

yes but niko is an innocent cinnamon roll, not for corruption.

also
youtube.com/watch?v=COPybKtOceQ

Doing anything with Niko sounds fun.

Jesus I hate remixes and everything that came after the Sega CD.

>10

Beating on them Niko like some kongos.

Ludoku
>game started to introduce mechanics halfway into worlds without explaining them
>originally gives you a perfect score if you solve it with the least possible moves
>now it introduced fields that take away from my move counter, even into negative numbers
>puzzles got too complicated for me to perfect them
>game too obscure for there to be ANY guides, letsplays or even discussions
Guess I just finish this imperfectly and forget about it.

OK nevermind I can literally not even get out of the starting corner now. Fuck I always hits this wall in puzzle games around the half.

>game too obscure for there to be ANY guides, letsplays or even discussions
I know that feel too well when I played 2 by hubol.
I'm still missing a fucking heart

titanfall 2 and starting to learn darkest dungeon. darkest dungeon is both really fun at times, and really fucking frustrating and unfun. mixed feelings about the game so far.
titanfall 2 is great tho

titanfall 2 is the best fps storymode i've seen in years
i'm too awful at the multiplayer to enjoy it though

>i'm too awful at the multiplayer to enjoy it though
check out some youtube guides on movement and aiming. frothyomen has some good ones.
otherwise, practice really. youll get better the more you play. everyone starts out shit. just gotta keep in mind that the movement system in this game is fundamentally different than stuff like cod or battlefield. cant just run on the ground, gotta make use of walls as much as you can.

checking /in/

i'm actually okay at the movement
not amazing, but alright
it's clicking on people that's hard

also: have the guns been balanced better yet?

depends, when have you last played? respawn is slow, but they listen and try their best to balance. doesnt always work and there are one or two guns that are truly overpowered, but overall the balance is much much better than it was at launch.
the titans, minus scorch(who only shines on two maps), are fairly well balanced now. tone is no longer overpowered.
as for guns, the R97 is straight up overpowered. the rest of the SMGs are top tier guns and are better than the others, but not by much. you can play and win with any weapon. i have 4 loadouts that i play, mostly grenadier weapons: coldwar, EPG, softball and L-STAR.

anyway, if aiming is hard for you then you can try the following: go into windows and change your mouse sensitivity to 6 ticks in and uncheck "enhance pointer precision"(another name for mouse acceleration, which is bad.).
after that, youll want to gradually reduce your mouse DPI and ingame sensitivity.
i think standard mouse DPI is 1600 or something. try reducing it to 800 and ingame sens -1 from whatever it is. play several matches and see how it feels and go from there. keep reducing both and testing for several games until it feels right.
this can take a while, days to weeks, but it pays off in the end. totally turned my aiming around.

oh and a large mousepad helps. steelseries sells 15x15 mousepads for like $15. you need a large mousepad if you are going to play on low sensitivity

tl;dr: balance is good, lower your sensitivity to aim better

I stopped playing as the thread was in the throes of discovered the power of scorch. The main balance thing I remember was that SMGs were just strictly better than ARs in all cases, and there was one I think LMG that had zero spread on the first few shots. Grenadier weapons are fun though, spinfuzor for days

>the thread was in the throes of discovered the power of scorch
funny thing is scorch was never strong, its always been the weakest titan. /tfg/ plays it to be the special snowflake, thats it.
the SMG you speak of was the volt, it was nerfed. it has some recoil now, bout the same as other SMGs. the LMG was the devotion, which was horribly overpowered; this was also nerfed and brought inline with other weapons.
ARs are still a bit of a problem. they are better at long range than SMGs(and not by much), but thats about it.
spinfuzor got some buffs, its pretty great. biggest buff being projectile speed. much easier to hit fast pilots and titans at mid range now with it

Yume Nikki turns 13 today

The best part of that game is that no one knows who the fuck is the dev

Also the fact that he might be dead for years now

>the final boss makes a no death run pretty much impossible, unless you know in advance and prepare a minmax build that can crit oneshot it from 75% health

They changed it so that you can bring less than four people to a dungeon, so you can try killing the boss with just Dismas and Reynald if you want the cheevo too.

Pointless. Replaying a bit of a segment since I went to the party right after eating the ham, effectively wasting a party heal. This time, I'm going to kill the guy with the tv on his head, go to the party, mop up any infinity guys leftover, and then go to Lester and get my free dinner.

Do I need to kill all the Infinity Franchise guys in order to progress, or can I leave the wheelchair guy who gives me free food?

What are the frustrating and unfun parts for you?

Why is that a good thing?

>Why is that a good thing?
Because people obsess over the game instead of the dev

>What are the frustrating and unfun parts for you?
bad rolls with rng basically

Do people really obsess over Toby Fox or NightMargin instead of their games?

you have no idea

So I tried Subnautica.

It's pretty brutal at first, but actually a lot easier, compared to Don't Starve.
I did have some issues finding salt and sulphur, and I'm worried about running out of titanium and batteries, but otherwise, getting health, food and water isn't that complicated.

I do wonder if the fishes are randomized from one game to another.

So is Crown of Risk or Crown of Haste the better depraved way to ruin your life

I've dropped La-Mulana and not sure what to play next, so I'm padding it with Armed Seven

>Why is that a good thing?
Keeps things mysterious. The dude just pops out of nowhere, releases some versions of an avant garde horror game for a few years on a Japanese board, then disappears off the internet forever.

I've kept playing Hollow Knight. While i've been enjoying the game so far, I have to say that I don't like the map mechanics very much. Blindly walking through an area hoping to find mapguy just so I can look at where I am is very frustrating.

Go blog elsewhere, Jeb.

Ok so where the fuck can I buy high quality crafting components in Underrail.

I heard Marty in Upper Underrail sells some good stuff but is there anyone else?

Depemds on what you are looking for. Even some SGS traders like Ezra carry 100+ quality components. And in general mid/late game faction traders tend to have better than average selection.

Right now I'm looking for really high quality (130+) chimera, marauder, horet frames and smart modules.

Smart modules are rare and merchants don't usually sell them and I still haven't seen a 130 quality assault rifle frane

Also I'm part of the institute, the protectorate and praetorian securituy and I finished all their quests, except the protectorate one about renegade soldiers.

Nice bug.

I really liked Darkest Dungeon and recently played through the expansion, what are some other dungeon crawlers with partybuilding, I'd like to pick something up from the steam sale.

>what are some other dungeon crawlers with partybuilding
Wizardry series

Might and Magic.
Legend of Grimrock.

Second run of Age of Decadence. This time as a loremaster.

Been playing STRAFEĀ®
Honestly a pretty solid fps rogue-like after the first couple patches came out. Tad on the easy side tho.

It's not a roguelike, it's a roguelite.

I can't believe how hard it got slammed when it first came out. I suspect that a large part of it was people being bad at the game and failing to properly utilize the systems and weapons, but I haven't played it yet so I really can't say.

NICE SPOILER PICTURE FAGGOT

In a less shitposty subject involving OneShit, what did you choose the very first time you played the game?

I actually choose to return the sun. I did sympathize with Niko and felt bad about stranding him in the world, but after seeing and hearing about the state the world was in; how the ground was falling into the ocean and how all the light in the world would go out within a few months, I wanted to give the world a chance at survival even if some people were convinced it wouldn't matter.

Of course, this was before the Solstice route gave more context to what exactly is going on in the world.

Meant to spoil it

TOO LATE user

TOO FUCKING LATE

>I'm looking for really high quality (130+) chimera, marauder, horet frames and smart modules

That's unrealistic. 130+ components are a real rarity. If you have the favor of the RNG gods you might find it as loot, but on merchants? Not fucking likely. I have done some running around, and the only 130+ weapon component I found was a Hurricane frame on Hanna in the Institute. So the good news is, it s not impossible to get lucky. The bad news is that even this Hurricane frame was special merchandise, so good luck waiting for hitting the jackpot if you can't access it.

Your best bet is Deep Caverns. If you have the skill to craft it without house bonus maybe you'll be able to find one. It's a big maybe, components in DC can come from either end of the quality scale, but your chances are significantly better here.

YOU RUINED IT FOREVER
NOW NIKO'S LITTLE BUTT IS THE ONLY THING THAT KEEP ME GOING

Yeah my bad.

Yeah I feel the response was 100% that, admittedly the first zone is kinda dull and wah to enclosed but every zone after are tons better in every way

Way too enclosed*
Fuk

I've got speedhacks and a lot of patience.

But if I'll settle for 110-120 if I really can't find higher quality ones.

Should have played the game like I told you before my friend. You didn't listen and fate punished you for your shitposting ways.
I also chose to save the world, and I think most people do too. Everyone you met during the adventure was so nice that Niko being stuck there might not that bad of a situation.

>I don't think you could clear with zero skills, though.

Here you go. Sometimes I wonder if I'm truly autistic.

>I think you can get Benny's amulet with a word of honor check

You can't, you must pass a persuasion or streetwise check after it.

>I don't know if you could clear the temple with zero skills.

There is nothing in the temple that absolutely needs to be cleared. The game allows you to turn back and trigger the ending at the elevator without having to fight the constructs. It gets you the exact same ending as if you turned back at the sarcophagus, so it's good enough if you weren't planning to fight anyway.

So the game can be finished without any skill, which means that even if you get stuck with your guild questline or something else, you can still reach an ending. Not necessarily a satisfying one, but still an ending.

Unless you are a Daratan praetor, at least. If you get stuck before Antidas would stop cockblocking you and just hand you the map, you are truly stuck.

Although, this is a very nice ending. Optimistic, doesn't involve sucking anyone's dick, or dying a horrible immediate or implied future death.

youtube.com/watch?v=ppzTFgwZxhc

Hey niko do a robot voice

No

I chose to save the world, but made sure to at least send Niko home once before doing the Solstice route, which I thought would fuck everything up. It didn't, obviously, but I was under the impression that every restart was a new instance of Niko and I wanted to make sure at least one of them got home.

Fuck, this game is too stressful.

I quit getting stressed because I quit giving a shit. Even near-perfect play can be rewarded by practically unavoidable death, so why continue to give a fuck? Game is simultaneously so close and so far from being at all enjoyable.

c'mon talk like a robot niko

Don't worry, there is actually more to the game than what you saw.

11 days

What is the best playable Shovel Knight character?

Plague Knight

>GOTY 2017 is still not in the image

I caught on to the entity's implication that the world wasn't real and that Niko was the only real thing within the narrative of the game and decided it was for the best to save him. I do appreciate how the solstice route took such an idealistic approach to how real the world really is though.

What did you guys think of pic related?

I just finished it and thought it was awesome, especially the puzzle portions. The fake Steam chat notifications got me for like a solid 2 minutes, never felt stupider in my life. My only gripes are the action parts got kinda repetitive (and a little two easy) and the ending wasn't as cool as I expected. Other than that, it's my kinda game and a solid 9/10

It was kinda neat, but I'm bitter and worn out on meta-game indie games so my perception on it is less rosy than it should be

Do you have similar thoughts when it comes to Undertale or OneShot?

Not sure if this is the general to ask, but does anyone know if "Where They Cremate the Roadkill" became a thing yet. It's a game by the dude that did Midden's and Gingivia. Last update was back in May.

Cave story+, just got to last cave

Undertale is (or at least feels) a lot bigger than OneShot, and relies on its "meta" aspects a lot less than Pony Island, so it doesn't suffer the same retrospective jadedness. OneShot does, though, which is PROBABLY unfair considering its free version came out before Undertale (though after its demo).

I think the jadedness is also because I literally JUST beat OneShot. Might also come because I had an idea for a "meta-game" game that I really want to make someday when I get off my ass, but this is like the third successful one I've played in the last two years that used those ideas. Oh well, I'll get over it.

I feel like Undertale and Pony Island are really the only games recently that have done meta-game right.

I fucking hate games that use the whole "whoa, were in a video game!" as plot and use it to not fucking explain anything (Sunset Overdrive, Let It Die)

Isn't Let it Die about people playing Let it Die though?

What did OneShot do wrong? I think it executed it well enough, despite my bitterness I talked about. It helped that it 1. explained itself and 2. had a really cute world and cast to back it up

I thought OneShot did the meta thing pretty well and it did legitimately explain everything as of the Solstice update.

Never heard of OneShot, Should I check it out?

Yes, I absolutely loved the game.

Thoughts on Kero Blaster too?

It was good, but that's about it. Shooting shit is fun and the level design was great. Refreshing to see linear, lives-based gameplay again. Music is good, but doesn't touch Cave Story's soundtrack.

Has some weird balancing issues though. Yellow (the default blaster) is really bad compared to the others until you max it out. Green is way too powerful, it's the blaster you want 95% of the time. Weird difficulty spikes at White Labs and final FINAL boss. Overall worth your time for the original game but new game+ probably not worth it.

Polished, fun, but very forgettable.

It was good but I possibly put more time into pink hour than I did into Kero Blaster

NightMargin likes to interact with fans and also creates lots of canons, why shouldn't we praise her? ONESHOT MERCH ANNOUNCED