/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

anime

> Next Demo Day 15 (wrap up your demos, gentlemen, it's right around the corner)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Play Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Play Demo Day 14
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

3dbuzz.com/training/view/3rd-person-character-system/enhanced-character-system
isaacsukin.com/news/2015/01/detailed-explanation-javascript-game-loops-and-timing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

next jam should be cockjam in honor of OP

Go! Dot!

third for gogem "pro"

the "pro" stands for "production", not "professional"

Which one is easier to learn/understand?
Gamemaker Studio
Godot
Only maybedevs and above should reply to this.

Looking for an artist?
I'll check back in an hour, to check for serious responses.
Please include the time you've been working on your game, how many others you're working with, previous games, engine being used, genre or comparable games, free or commercial.
Looking forward to working with you.

>gamasutra articles insist every single developer will fail
>steam still has lots of games and developers make sequels

RPG Maker

Do people still dev in flash?

i was only kidding
please leave my thread thank you

It's actually the old greek meaning for pro, "before". He's not an amateur, he's the status before that.

gogem PRO

I said maybedevs AND above,

It would be bad PR if they displayed the uncountably infinite landscape of failed or abandoned projects.
The chances of success are so close to 0 they just call it

best engine to use for a lo poly walking sim? THAT ISNT FUCKING BLOATED AS FUCK FOR WHAT I WANT FUCK YOU UNITY

The amount of indie devs with only one game on steam is disturbing.

shit progress

+ the game name is Youali
+ parallax backgrounds

about 6 months, just me, first game, godot, rpg/tactics, wouldn't think of monetizing until much later if ever, mostly a casual learning experience

godot (no memerino)

GS obviously you maybedev

At the moment I have:
lerp(positionA, positionB, Time.DeltaTime);
Which goes from fast to slow.

When reversing the inputs to get:
lerp(positionB, positionA, Time)
it jumps immediately to the position...

What did you mean by this?

Background shouldn't move when the camera is not moving

Is this all just a waste of time?

>he only interpolates linearly

Thought you meant lerp from two velocities, not locations, my bad.
No idea why it goes from fast to slow in that case but maybe it has to do with the fact you're using Delta Time instead of Delta Time/Total time you want the lerp to last.
If you want the lerp to go from slow to fast, then your alpha should grow exponentially.

I think it's implied that the camera is moving with the player to keep them in center frame.

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted

Yes. the background is fixed to the camera

if you enjoy gamedev as a hobby encompassing a wide net of skills, then obviously not.
if you have been under the assumption that this is a viable career, then you are retarded and obviously yes it is.
Depends on your priorities.

I mean at the beginning and end of the webm, when the character is moving towards/away the center of the screen.

Gamemaker studio

Looks like it's implying speed.
Lots of games do what the webm is doing. Sonic Advance to name one.

>work on project whenever you have time
>weeks, month and maybe even years pass but it's coming along nicely
>use your savings or take a tiny loan to finance your companies founding
>sell first game
>make 5-6 figures
>holy shit we are rich
>get a giant loan from the bank
>rent a flat in downtown
>hire gay Feng-shui master to furnish your studio
>hire 3D designer(s)
>hire level artist(s)
>hire network programmer(s)
>hire full time community manager
>money reserves dwindling fast
>suck publisher cock to finance your "studio"
>12 month in and nothing to show
>go bankrupt and become code-monkey for EA

Monolith dev did like 000000 marketing. I never expected it to "succeed" to begin with. whatever that means.

>all of his random numbers are pulled from a uniform distribution

thank you for reposting

Maybe it's the lack of background elements combined with the walking animation then, because I really don't see "speed" at the beginning and end there. It looks like the camera is waiting for the character to get to the center of the screen to follow him.

Maybe I'm approaching the problem wrong. Someone suggested using Lerp to implement acceleration of character movement in a 3D platformer, but I've read that Lerp is meant for a constant speed change rather than gradual.
Would lerp not be the best way to implement acceleration?

well it was the end of the thread baby.

Looks like it. The parallax is really subtle.

So my friend had a game idea and I made prototype out of it and its actually fun, the only problem is that he's a lazy ideasguy so i would have to do all the work for him

guess the game

-the mechanics are based off of a jojo episode
-the title is a song which isn't from a jojo episode
-it's something that comes out your mouth

"shit" has already been guessed

crazy talk

no

I don't understand the question

anyone here uses unity?

I can't find anywhere how to make the game end (go to another scene repeat current scene whatever) when an object gets out of camera (touches any side of the camera) any help please?

lewdjam cockjam it's all the same to me

cumjam

Lerp just means that if your alpha goes from 0 to 0.3, it will have the same amount of changes as it would have from 0.7 to 1.
If the alpha goes from 0 to 1 in an exponential fashion, then it won't seem linear.
Other ways to do that result would be to add 1 to your location at the first frame, then 1.2 at the second, then 1.6, and so on until it reaches the amount you want.

Again I don't really understand why you would lerp locations, velocities would work better because then if something collides mid movement, it'll push back your character.

just got a shelf for my mic, quick gimme something to read record to test it

well changing scene is easy. What you want to do is a check in lateupdate to see if you can still see your character (or maybe have colliders), and if not then change the scene to whatever next scene needs to be loaded.
I suggest looking at example of camera occlusion (will show you how to have a camera that checks if it can see the character) and then some simple scene controller examples.

What's alpha?
And I'm not sure what the "proper" way to use it is; the official Unity tutorial lerps two locations.

Do you know what they did for marketing? I never heard anything about the game from anywhere. Did he try viraling it to the Issac community?

Are AIComponent movement commands only supposed to work when they're being called every frame? If I call them once, the actor moves for about two seconds and then just stops.

Alpha is the third value you're using to go from A to B. No idea how it works in Unity but in UE4 it's supposed to be between 0 and 1.
The thing about velocity and location is more of an opinion than an absolute truth, I know nothing about Unity.

I've been playing the GB Donkey Kong and it inspired me to mess around with making a platformer again.

In GMS2, is the best strategy for collisions still the for loop that subtracts velocity until your trajectory doesn't cross through an object anymore? Or did they improve the built in physics enough to be usable?

What I mean is I have absolutely no idea how to detect whenever an object is still visible to the camera.

I've read something about "Renderer.isVisible" but I have no idea whatsoever how to use it.

>ripped from
>give credits
Always gets me

>i'm done much of the programming and need to actually make levels

Yeah, haha. I like to take old gb graphics when I'm just dicking around with stuff, so I'm glad someone ripped it, at least.

>his game has "levels"

But I love making levels

You could look here at the 2 "NearCliPlane" videos, that should be a good solution for you. Here it will fix the camera if something collide with the created plane, you could simply do whatever you want instead of something collide.

3dbuzz.com/training/view/3rd-person-character-system/enhanced-character-system

I hate making levels/content. I just want to program stuff and have someone else make levels with my tools.

I unironically want my game to look like this. I just can't put my finger on why it's so appealing.

That was the golden age of PC and online gaming.

It's appealing for two simple reasons.
1. Nostalgia
2. Lack of visual clutter

I love going back to the original Deus Ex because I can immediately identify every salient feature in the environment thanks to the simplicity of the game's geometry. New games are packed to the gills with bullshit that just serves as visual noise.

It was the lovely era when developers could use photographs as textures with basic lighting but not cover everything with vaseline.

I'm thinking to keep the simple low res diffuse maps and 2017ify it with pbr.

>immediately identify every salient feature in the environment thanks to the simplicity of the game's geometry
This

The whole thread

DeltaTime is evil

Even if the engine forces you to use it

the plane scene

>Lack of visual clutter
this

That's why I like old school platformers and nintendo games. 4k HDDD Super Hyper Mega Texture you-can-see-the-hair-follicles graphics were a mistake.

>300 dollar short of 4000 before his mommy shoves in 1000

PLEASE HELP

>DeltaTime is evil
As expected of a reaction image shitposter you're full of shit.

epic fukken epic

living the dream

>need to save the render target to a texture so I can export it so I can open it in gimp so I can make it seamless before importing it back
Unreal is weird at times.
I feel like the foam is kinda weird though, I'm gonna try to make it fade away after a distance and maybe give it some depth as well.

Ok I already found out the culprit, I thought I was going crazy.

turns out
void OnBecameInvisible()
Is not only looking for the game camera but also for the editor camera for some fucknows what reason and I was not registering as I was still locking at the object in the editor.

When I closed the tab it started to work instantly.
Still thanks for the help.

will 5k even be enough it seems like a small amount for a kickstarter

its enough for a block pushing puzzle game in 2017

Depends if he pays rent and shit

>6 days
Should be fine, right?

>need to save the render target to a texture so I can export it
Imagine if you were a non-dev, you'd pull some shit like trying to get the camera 90 degrees perpendicular and using printscreen

Unity is full of little 'gotchas' like that

p-please help.

>I like random physics in my game

If you want stable physics you should have a fixed time-step

You should only use DeltaTime if you want to meausre the frame rate so you can update the game's logic n times per frame, rather than moving the objects n pixels.

Maybe this will explain better: isaacsukin.com/news/2015/01/detailed-explanation-javascript-game-loops-and-timing

And I hope you like my reaction image this time you dipshit

fucking anime

speaking of visual clutter

Here's a WIP of my nightclub level. I'm not sure on how the textures and lighting are gunna mesh so I'm going to redo my killhouse level and try and make it nice and clean

shes gonna look better with hair right?

>Imagine if you were a non-dev
I kinda am, I've never released anything and only had two other projects which never went past "playable/barely playable" before that.
It's just a matter of knowing your limits and researching, having an inflated ego very often leads to failure.

fug

look at him shill fucking failing kickstarter on /v/ how desperate.

nice screenshot

No bullying

ayy

>You should only use DeltaTime if you want to meausre the frame rate
So you know you're full of shit you stupid anime reaction image shitposter