You mean to tell me that this stupid corolla is only famous because of some Japanese cartoon show?

You mean to tell me that this stupid corolla is only famous because of some Japanese cartoon show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=di_X8IQLlAw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was a touring car champion before it was an anime character

the cartoon show just made it more famous. it was already a top tier shitbox.

ACKSHUALLY it was beloved as a cheap hoonbox well before Initial D. Now it's far too expensive due to tofu tax.

You mean to tell me that this stupid DMC-12 is only famous because of some American motion picture?

look up Keiichi Tsuchiya senpai

*American motion picture from the Motion Picture Association
ftfy

underage and/or retarded

the ae86 has always been a popular car in motorsports, well before initial d

"it's just a corolla" yeah who gives a shit that doesn't make it any more or less relevant

The difference between this car and OP's is that OP's is not a unreliable piece of shit and is actually fun to drive.

That car is actually a pos.

You're telling me this piece of shit that's slower and less maneuverable than a piece of shit MR2 turbo and costs more than you can afford pal because it was in a movie?

And Gran Turismo 1 and 2.

It was one of the stars of that game.

Also, the godlike 2jz engine

so much wasted potential

it's like a college star athlete that permanently damaged their knees and fell into a drug habit

It's pretty nimble but you'd be hard pressed to find a car that can outhandle an sw20 anywhere near its price range.
mk4 supra was used to film the chiron speed attempt

I want one, partially because I want to surprise anime fans with its complete lack of power with the stock engine.

How many anime fans do you know? I'll give you that it's the worst car to have passengers in because adding anyone over 120 lbs in the car in addition to you makes it crawl.

Oh fuck off. I own an MR2 and I think you're a faggot.

It was in a lot more than Gran Turismo, and it already gained a reputation before the first one came out.

And there's more to it than the engine.

I know a lot of Initial D fans, you probably do too. It's amazing what people will watch because of a meme they saw once.

It's not gutless, it has reasonable amount of power and a nice power to weight.
It weighs next to nothing.

Handling isn't everything, but people severely underestimate the A80's handling capabilities.

"Cornering speed was equally outstanding. All-round double-wishbone suspensions and their well tuned geometry kept the Michelin Pilot rubbers glued to the road. Torsen limited slip differential and electronic traction control kept wheel spin to the minimum. As a result, the level of grip and traction it provided in corners was truly amazing – something we might have been accustomed to in recent years but hardly believable by the standards of the 1990s. Road & Track recorded an astonishing 0.98 g on the skidpad, matching exclusive supercars like Ferrari F355 and Dodge Viper GTS! Not just on test track, Autocar found its grip, chassis control, suspension composure and steering precision were just as outstanding on public roads. No wonder it described the car as the fastest cross-country production car they could buy."

I know one plus the 30 something year old guy I bought my AE86 from. I watched season 1 and 2 after I bought the car. Just came across the mememachine on CL for a fair price and thought I recognized it as that shitty car you start off with in Gran Turismo 4 and from Tsuchiya videos that my mechanic friend would force on me when I didn't give a shit. All of my anime watching friends think Initial D is just that meme show that got popular because of YTMND.

it was popular before Initial D with enthusiasts

Initial D just gave it normie exposure

youtube.com/watch?v=di_X8IQLlAw

this yep

>implying normies watch initial D

My normie friend did watch a few Stages of it before me.

They do.

This is a bait thread but for those not being baited:

The whole awesomeness of the AE86 in 1993-1996ish was it was a cheap lightweight reliable RWD hard top coupe.

So it should be remembered for what it was, not what it is now, which is a heavily overpriced car.

It's no longer that car.

Face it, Initial D is mainstream now.

I don't think the anime fans would be surprised at all from the lack of power
Literally every character in the show comments on how slow and inferior the car is to stuff like S13s, miatas, etc and even moreso when talking about the RX7 and GTR.
Nobody legitimately thinks its fast, it just so happens it has a really skilled driver with really good luck behind the wheel

The one in the anime is tuned for racing and later has an illegal engine (F1 IIRC), so it already starts out faster than stock but then ends up faster than most cars.

Please stop, in first and most of second stage Takumi's 86 has a few simple mods bringing the power from 124b ps to what Ryosuke figures is about 150 ps. The engine he gets in second stage is a TRD built 4A-GELU silvertop intended for use in Group A racing, which is based off the real life Formula Atlantic 4A-GE. The engine produces 240 ps and even then it's reasonable to assume many if not most of takumi's opponents made as much as or more power than him.

I have no idea where the hell you got the idea it was an illegal engine or in what way it could have been illegal.

It's a collectors car now. There are hardly any in the US. Something around 6k were imported in a three year span of time and who knows how many are left now after 30 years of rust and questionable modifications. The demand remains high, so price increases. It's not overpriced at 6-8k, and it hasn't seen absurd spikes in value unless you're talking museum quality.

I could get a Miata, which would accomplish most of what the AE86 does, but it's not an 80s, four seater hatchback with a 4AGE, which is what I wanted. None of the other 80s hatches match the AE86s driving dynamics either.

I swear I heard someone say it was illegal. I thought it sounded dumb at the time, guess I was right.

>ACKSHUALLY it was beloved as a cheap hoonbox well before Initial D. Now it's far too expensive due to tofu tax.
the only major cost in them is the import costs, they can be found on goo-net exchange for less than a million yen

There are 4AGE powered AE86s in the US and rest of the world, m8.

for objectively more than an imported one

>Handling isn't everything
god tier handling, light weight and engine that buttdevastates busriders and benchracers is the formula for a perfect car.

>You mean to tell me that this stupid corolla is only famous because of some Japanese cartoon show?
Or maybe having 86 in any name is magical. In the 2018 Consumer Reports vehicle reliability report, that 86 keeps on going. The toyota 86 is top rated.

miss me with that doodoo shit

ehh, if i'm going to go through the hassle of importing i'm gettin me a mighty boy or a capuccino

and years of pathetic loser shilling like this post for instance

this car is a piece of shit
slow as fuck and handles like a geo metro

god i wish i could fit in one or an AZ1
rx3 when?

the guy who owned that Capuccino was easily 6'5". kinda lanky, but when i saw him get in and out of it i was impressed.

WHAT
could he even put the top up?
omg seriously?

also Rx3 is too cute

i want to take it home with me like a puppy of a car. look how cute it is

i dont think you can drift an old mazda, they have leaf springs. probably end up like this.
of course you can make a 4 link...

nah, he slid right in. i did a legit double take when it happened.

I'm pretty sure they filmed it with another chiron

>I know what I got

personal bias detected

>hard pressed
No I woudn't you fucking duning kruger moron.

>pretty nimble
Sure thing u shitbaiting shitlord the soupera is known worldwide for "pretty nimble" you ironic opposites-day asshole. It's definitely NOT mustang tier handling....

plus, its only real terrain of advantage is on a downhill course, where gravity is also a helping factor.

Initial D is mainstream now son.
Remember like 10years ago same people who watch it now would call you a faggot for watching anime (Intial D).

Same people who watch it now weren't even going to school then

ok this one doesn't count, supras are not a meme car from a famous movie/game/anime/whatever and are basically just civics for people who think they are too cool to own a civic.

>All of my anime watching friends think Initial D is just that meme show that got popular because of YTMND.
this is actually true though, initial d is garbage and 99% of the love for it is either for the arcade games, or for the memes

>Literally every character in the show comments on how slow and inferior the car is
doesn't takumi's car have five rotaries in it or some dumb bullshit so it generates a gorillion hp

So the casual initial d fan is like 12?

12 yr olds fall for memes easily, and never go back when they grow up.

No, they even made a mention of it in the show, Dr Spin said it makes no more than 150hp (probably lower) based off the exhaust note in first stage.

>based off the exhaust note
reminds me of that one panel from the manga where they're talking about a dude's subaru and are going on about "goes through [many] apex seals"

i.e. it's complete meaningless garbage based on misunderstanding of how shit actually works, just like their new show with the "2cars" that are constantly lifting off the ground because they read about sidejacking once

>toyotas entire customer base

literal crap on wheels

just a good engine on a shitty whatever chassis to help transport it to the dyno and back

>watching anime

Get a life loser

IIRC the silvertop will be very hard pressed to make that sort of power n/a. the "big power" n/a 4ages seem to be 16v ones, something about the 20v limits the aggressiveness of the cams you can use, i believe

>complaining about anime on a website founded to talk about anime
ishygddt

I wish I didn't find one. Deep down, I want to be like the idealized perception of my neckbeard friends. Living just to consume other people's work and wanting for nothing else. Segmenting my life by show release schedules and catching up with all of the newest animes and hating every single of them on /a/ for 8 hours a day. Slowly letting life slip by but retrospectively realizing that you've wasted your 20s, 30s, and 40s with no real memories. I know they are probably dying inside, but when we socialize, all I can do is be envious of them. I've got alcohol to destroy myself with, a wife to avoid coming home to, and a daily, routine schedule that eats away at my youth, but maybe it wouldn't have been so bad to just watch some cute fucking anime girls instead.

>I've got alcohol to destroy myself with, a wife to avoid coming home to, and a daily, routine schedule that eats away at my youth, but maybe it wouldn't have been so bad to just watch some cute fucking anime girls instead.

delet

Why do people forget that in the anime the car was tuned and isn't stock? not to mention at the beginning of the second season the stock engine died and was replaced with a rally engine

>Initial D is garbage
t. shit taste

>it's like a college star athlete that permanently damaged their knees and fell into a drug habit

s-so s-sorry d-d-dad.

You contrarian 12 year olds disgust me.

>ftfy
no you didn't

It was illegal but according to the anime, Dagumi's dad tuned it to be street legal

Recent videos shows that they're massively converting to Chevy now.

nigga.everybody knows it has lack of power. in fact 240hp for downhill is more than enough to race

Not weebs who know nothing about cars.

Initial D make it mainstream famous
was famous before in the racing scene, especially thanks to Tsuchiya's Pluspy video

This is always my go-to reply when someone brings up the 86.

>.98 g's
Holy fuck that's better than a modern c7 i think

The supra held the fastest stopping distance record of any production car until 2005 when it was beat by a 500k carrera gt by a few feet.

This is what most people don't realize. If people would stop regurgitating memes and do their own research they would see it handled on par with the FD and NSX. People tend to overlook that.

The Supra had the best braking of its time, some of the best slalom, immense cornering, but all of that is forgotten because some 12 year olds want to go "lol it looks big in pictures."

p much
>dyno queen
>pigfat
>meme car
etc etc. ill admit when i first saw a supra in person it was smaller than i expected lol

They're the same size as an FR-S, just a little longer hood.

that's just a GTS tho, no tofu god

Do any modern consumer cars have 0.98g or more?

Not for under $100k, I reckon.

mk3s are around the same price and handle much better than a sw20

>google "[car] + crash"
>huehue it can't handle

Fuck off you know-nothing.

He's not, you know.