Cars that just barely missed the mark

>ZZW30
>an even lighter and more reliable Miata alternative
>given the shitty 1ZZ economy car engine instead of a much superior 2ZZ or 3S-GE engine

the E30 m3 usa spec
or E36 m3 with the lame engine.

This was a blessing in disguise. Because of this, the Spyder will remain cheap for years to come, at least until people realize how fantastic it truly is.

Unfortunately not many people like the styling. Car with the face only a hammer could love.

ferrari 550
they all came with some silent exhaust from the factory.
but had a ferrari v12, why would you not want to hear the engine sing? later cars had better exhausts, but this thing made it sound like a malibu

I think it's kinda cute, but I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't mind the Porsche 986/996 fried egg headlights and likes bugeye WRXs and Corollas.

People will flame this, but

>extremely comfortable
>great ride quality
>amazing options for the higher trim levels (titaniums could come with a legit chill box for the second row that was basically a mini fridge)
>optional AWD

but they look horrible

Koenigsegg Regera
not real

automatic only
imagine how much better it would be with a 6 speed

The TRD body parts + hardtop make it look great.

(disregard the boomer wheels in pic related)

I'll get flamed for this too

>was never made as a convertible/roadster

If they'd followed through and made the roadster like they said they were gonna do when it launched I would have probably bought one

chevy ss
let down by fuel economy that would make a tahoe blush

This but I hate the fucking MR-S.

And the Toyota facelift looks fuckin shiiiit

you mean
>no NA I6 option

its engine.

It doesn't look horrible enough for a tasteless normalfaggots to want it. They only buy SUV's that looked like jacked up, bloated, overly aggressive cars. An SUV that looks like an SUV isn't "cool" enough for them.

It's amazing how much they fucked up such a simple pleasing design with such minimal changes. Toyota's styling department is a fucking joke.

The fa elift literally looks like it was made by a fucking 12 year old.

Seriously what other explanation could they have for having fucking fangs on the front grill?

I will always maintain the Flex was secretly the best "family SUV" you could buy for a solid 2-3 years, but because it looked like a generic rectangle no one ever got interested in them

Is the bay big enough to swap something more powerful in?

2ZZ+6-speed is a very common swap.

yeah this sucks, it's probably gonna get more extreme with the next minor facelift too. Spikier and lamer.

>shitty face lift
>still no roadster

I'm not sure I like how that looks actually, it makes it look like there's something missing.
Which there is, obviously. For some reason the roof really ties the whole design together.

I always thought it was awesome. Somehow my family got a fully optioned one for a weekend, right when they came out. We took a road trip, and it was super comfy. If I had to buy a big car to haul kids, it would be a Flex.

It's weird how it fits the SUV niche but in my head it's always been a minivan

How good is the Z4M? Because the base Z4 my dad bought in exchange for his S2000 was a fucking bore with a slow-shifting autotragic.

It's got the drivetrain from an E46 M3 in a smaller, lighter chassis.

If only it wasn't so heavy. Seriously, this car weighs more than a Jeep Wrangler.

Yup, 2ZZs, K24s, and even 2GRS.

Not only is it weak but it has an open diff aswell.

What I don't like about the 2ZZ are the lift bolts that tend to snap so you'll have to open up your cover and replace them and combined with the C60 trans, it adds about 70 pounds to the car.

>>extremely comfortable
>>great ride quality
>>amazing options for the higher trim levels (titaniums could come with a legit chill box for the second row that was basically a mini fridge)
>>optional AWD
>but they look horrible
I'm on my second one, these cars are too fun. Yeah, if you wait for one you can buy em for 2500$ running, clean title. Driving top down just feels too right.

I think Toyota and Lotus had some kinda agreement to not put a 2zz 6MT into the Spyder. But yeah, fun car.After the Spyder came out Mazda responded with the Mazdaspeed Miata since it was lighter.

>Boomer wheels
>Giant chrome discs
You mean utter nigger wheels.

>titaniums could come with a legit chill box for the second row that was basically a mini fridge
This was the absolute tits when it came out. I had a friend who had one, it was great. It was pretty much directly competing with the Edge though, which is what I think killed it.

>Mercedes
>no MT C-Class except the half-assed attempt in the W204 C250

There was so much potential to convert a lot of 3 series buyers

It looks the same
I don’t get the hate for the facelift at all

I hated it at first and wanted a sw20 but then I drove both.
You grow to love the looks, but zzw30 looks wise compared to other mr2's is a little qt 3.14 next to super models.
Stock engine is plenty good. It will destroy almost every bimmer in stoplight races.
Even mine with a damaged clutch that makes me not able to change gears above 5k rpm feels plenty powerful around twisties. And once I upgraded the suspension and removed weight I started feeling like there is no reason to engine swap it.

I like the way it looks.

>Not only is it weak but it has an open diff aswell.
Only in america.
what?

>more reliable Miata alternative
yeah, not with that oil eating engine

If it was 3-5k cheaper it would've pretty much taken most of miatas sales.

>memes
lmao no.
sw20 drinks oil.
This doesn't unless its faulty.

>memes
are you fucking retarded? 1zz is fucking infamous for eating oil like crazy, and this happens to every engine sooner or later
god i fucking hate fanboys, your delusion knows no bounds

(you) are right you know, it has the bulging headlamps of those old yaris that take up 90% of the whole front of the car.

If I ever move to the UK to work, I'll probably pick this car up, otherwise, I'll probably go with the aw11. Since sw20s just don't exist here or any neighboring country. If I had to export a sw20 I'd end up paying the same for a 350z and s2000 in probably better condition.

I have not heard of anyones 1zz drinking oil and mine does not drink any.
Sw20 drinks oils to the point of them having to refill in middle of hooning.
I just check oil once a month and its usually fine.
your oil drinking is a meme.
It's not harder and more annoying to check tyre pressures

On the ZZW30, the precats tend to fail and the piston rings get fucked up as a result, leading to oil burning.
This is literally common knowledge and an infamous issue among ZZW30 owners.

yeah
that's why you always remove precats

Even then I have a friend who bought an 2000 MRS with 300,000k km on the clock and it had precats intact and no issues.

The bores tend to oval regardless of the pre cat problem, but they do suffer scoring as a result of the pre cat problem. Both of these issues are endemic to ALL 1ZZ engines in E30 cars unless otherwise sorted.

This was meant to say w30 but my phone thinks I'm talking BMW

post 2003 they fixed it and it is no longer a problem.
But it is honestly a non issue unless you are a retard and don't test drive

>Lame engine
It's way more reliable than the euro spec engines, cheaper to upgrade, and works better for forced induction. I'd argue that it's one of the best engines bmw ever made.

Ford never marketed these either which didn't help at all.

I was going to buy an mrs 2zz swap it or just turbo the 1zz but ended up buying an s2000

All it needed was a supercharged option on the facelift models after they sorted the bore and oil problems and it would've been a perfect roadster and the NA models would be even cheaper now too.
I like thinking of mine as a stepping stone towards a Lotus Elise.

I don't say this often but that kit looks fucking rad

mrs owner here. Tried s2k as well.
Lke the car but totally different. Too serious while MRS is WAY more playful.
Honestly I'm not a petty fag who thinks mrs is underpowered. It's not. All it needed was a bucket seat or something to keep you in place. The engine is plenty fast once you know how to use it.

lol?

how do you notice this in a test drive?
genuine ignorant question here

I'd fucking sick Dick for a 2ZZ Supercharged purple MRS with the hard top and the TRD aero kit

Uhhh

I'd suck 100 dicks in a glory hole
No homo

Had the exact same happen with my family once during a vacation, I might be buying one next week because of how much we enjoyed it.

Can confirm, currently own Tahoe and drove one of those around for a day.