Electric impact driver

Sup Veeky Forums
Wot impact driver is gud?
I'm after a hobby / home gamer 1/2" impact driver.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UkPzjV-ZaTU
amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2299-2-Inch-Square-8-Inch/dp/B001GLSL0S
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're amazing. Loud and expensive.

Harbor Freight 20v Earthquake

I just use cordless drill and tighten/loosen with a tyre wrench.

American brands need not apply. I don't buy garbage.

air > battery

but if you must go battery, go Milwaukee 18v

>Hazard Fraught
>American
lmao pull your head out of your ass.

Anyways;
Ryobi and Milwaukee are made in the same factory, owned by the same Taiwanese company. Made in China.
Makita's pretty damn good and they know it. (Made in the US so that's disqualified)
Dewalt, well, they were made in China but they're starting to be assembled in the US again. Disqualified.

That basically leaves you with Ryobi (same shit as Milwaukee, remember) and expensive German/Lichtenstienian shit.

But seriously that Harbor Freight impact driver is good. Made in Taiwan, not China.

Good one brother.
I live in England so you can fuck that harbour shit right off.

The one you pictured is good

I use mine all the time, and no complains. Perfect hobby driver

Does anyone have pic related?

>corded

Someone on youtube did some testing and shitty american one worked the same as expensive brands.

>relying on a battery pack

>dealing with a cord
I'll take the battery pack

I recently bought a Makita XWT08 - looove it so far.
makes quick work of lug nuts and suspension bits, on lowest of 3 settings, havent tried it on more challenging stuff yet. The opinion is, "it'll get it off, or it'll break it off"
Makita is a Japanese company, my wrench was made in Japan.

Yeah mines technically an impact "wrench" (drivers are smaller and less torque) but I wanted something with some balls behind her and man does she got it. My dad had a Makita drill back in the day and he loved it.

You mean an impact wrench, right? An impact driver drives screws. An impact wrench is for bolts.

I bought my first impact wrench, a Dewalt 20V lithium 1/2" this spring. The model I have is in the related pic. Dewalt makes a larger half inch model, but I think that the model I have is the perfect size if you are just going to get one. It is really useful and I believe that it is worth it if you spend a substantial amount of time working on cars. If you aren't used to modern cordless tools, they are remarkably powerful--the little thing easily removes fully torqued lug nuts and old rusty fasteners. The tool speeds up most of the automotive work that you do. As an example, you save about 5 minutes off every job because you don't have to spend time using your lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts by hand before jacking the vehicle and removing the nuts and wheel. Same for tightening. Between loosening and tightening, that’s at least 5 minutes saved. After using the tool for a while, you can learn to feel the proper torque for lug nut installation.

The impact wrench greatly eases many jobs that require difficult fastener removal, such as exhaust work, sway bar end linkages, and ball joints. You spend less time dicking around with a ratchet or breaker bar with a cheater pipe trying to remove these bolts (and hurting yourself if you are like me). In addition, you will have to deal with fewer broken bolts when you start using an impact, because an impact wrench is the best way to free stuck bolts without breaking them.

As to which one to get, they are all good and fairly similar in quality and price, outside of the outliers like Snap-on and whatnot, which I don’t think are necessary for non-pros. Hell, I know a lot of pros that use Dewalt and whatnot.

Make sure to get plenty of extensions and sockets, like U-joints and swivel-joints and such so that you can access as many bolts as possible and thus make your tool as useful and it can be.

Have fun with your new toy!

I bought the makita xwt08. shits cash. takes like 2 seconds to undo my lug nuts.

Unless you're wrenching 10 hours a day 5 days a week 10 months a year you won't have problems with mid-range ones.

You step that shit up to 3/4"?
Absolute mad man

Craftsman heavy duty is the way to go.

Had to for the bigger set, as they're all 3/4

I have since gotten a proper impact 1/2-to-3/4 socket

My dewalt kicks ass. Lugs are off in 2 seconds

Milwaukee fuel 18v

Bought it for work (diesel mechanic) and it's a motherfucker. Will break all kinds of shit.

Don't get a non fuel, they suck ass.

Hate all you want on corded tools but you can run them all day with a little generator in the woods, you can actually hammer on something stuck with em, and they don't wreck 90 dollar batteries.

My friend has the DeWalt 12 amp or so corded one, and that breaks bolts

I have the corded 8 amp kobalt one from Lowe's and I love it. You can feather the trigger, which helps not round/break stuck shit. I also regularly use it with a generic set of kobalt 6 sided sockets cuz lol lifetime warranty if I break em. Shits cash yo.

Batteries are only good for bolts you've previously broken loose.

>Also, tfw impact through a u joint in a socket set for maximum devilish feels

This, it's literally god tier. I initially picked one up to take when I go out to the track, but I find myself using it all the time, it's become my go to impact gun. I can't even remember the last time I plugged an air line into my trusty IR. For $230 with the coupon it's impossible to beat. I just wish any of the horrible frieghts near me would get the 3/8 version in stock

i had this dewalt, it was pretty shit. what model did he have?

what can i say, even with it plugged in the wall it couldnt take off the lug bolts

did you have a better model?

is that brushless or normal motor? i dont see a brush holder

I'm not sure exactly which model it is... It's one he got his dad for Father's day and that family tends to overdo things so it was probably the biggest available.

It's a fuckin beast, taking off a bumper of our one ton I think I broke like 9 of 16 bolts or something.
I kinda hate it.

Making the little one work for 20 seconds is better than breaking shit. That 8 amp draw one is right in the middle of enough nut but not too much. It will round shit, but you have to be an idiot and you usually know it when it happens

nope sounds like mine was a dud. also i hated how i had to wait for it to spin down. no brake inside!

no brake, not enough torque and it got kinda warm while the hammers were hitting.

nope, not impressed at all.

Yesssss

mah nigga. this man knows the good shit.

Was between Makita, Milwaukee, and Ingersoll-Rand when I bought mine.

I have a Milwaukee 1/2". It's more powerful than my snap-on MG725, I basically use the Milwaukee for everything now and only grab the pneumatic gun if the job I'm doing is wet or oily like stripping engines or working in the rain.

There really is no point going corded, these guys recommending corded tools are stuck in the past. Cords suck, they get tangled and damaged being stepped on/driven over/shit dropped on them on the workshop floor. I dont even get the "relying on a battery" meme that's just fucking stupid. Pull the batteries out if your phone, laptop and car if you are so worried about batteries and see how far that gets you in life.

>Electric impact driver

Technically the air compressor runs off electricity

>Harbor Freight
>American

Nigga what?

The corded ones only put up to about 100ft lbs, not that they could be designed to put out more but most manufacturers put more R&D into their battery tools because they make more money.

bump

Explain this brush/brushless nonsense to a layman

Lol holy shit, did they literally just steal the schematics or reverse engineer Milwaukee's M18 FUEL High Torque Impact?

ECU vs distributor
Brushless relies on electronics and transistors for timing the coils, Brushed uses hardware. Brushless is (generally) more powerful for the same size

I fucked Home Depot over back when they were still considered Harbor Freight a competitor and accepted their coupons.

They had a promo where you got a free Milwaukee M18 Fuel battery and charger if you bought 2 M18 Fuel tools. I bought two of the 1100ft/lb high torque impacts and used a 25% off Harbor Freight coupon, then sold one of the Impacts to a dude who probably already had other M18 Fuel tools/chargers/batteries. At the end of the day it was like $200 for the tool, the battery, and the charger - the fucking kit with the injection molded case was like $400 fucking dollars.

Impact driver or wrench?
They are 2 different things.
I like my Makita, don't bother with the brushless one, get the regular.

If you want an impact wrench go pneumatic, electric is for cowards

In any case though, the Milwaukee 2763 is a fucking beast. One time I got a fucking seized/cross-threaded lug bolt on my goddamn Saab. That was the only time it struggled and it scared the shit out of me - like holy fuck what happened to this bolt... I sprayed some PB Blaster on it and it came out after waiting a few minutes. Threads were fucking wrecked...

Dewalt 20v XR or Milwaukee fuel. Most powerful 1/2” impacts on the market. I believe both also have a 3/4” version but they don’t really perform much better

Not gonna read the whole thread here, but you posted a photo of a Ryobi item.

Ryobi tools are hands-down the most shit-tier power tools you can get, shy of having an Ethiopian toddler design and build a power tool for you.

Stick with DeWalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, etc.

BTW... Black and Decker branded items are second from the bottom. Pieces of shit.

>Milwaukee,
You realize the same people who make Ryobi, make Milwaukee right?

>You mean an impact wrench, right? An impact driver drives screws. An impact wrench is for bolts.

Fucking this.
This is "Auto", not "Carpentry".

Is it not advisable to buy a chuck adapter

>You realise the same people who build the Cruze, build the Corvette, right?

Just because they're make by the same company, in the same country, in the same etc etc etc, it doesn't mean the quality or performance is remotely comparable.

They're not bad for what op needs faggot

Ryobi should be great if youre a hobbyst, it's the best bang you get for your buck

Not gonna lie, I used to think the same thing. But I can go literally a week or more of daily use with mine before having to recharge. When I worked at a scooter (think kymco) shop, my impact and drill were a godsend

>Harbor Freight 20v Earthquake

For the price, it's surprisingly not a piece of shit.

AvE review:
youtube.com/watch?v=UkPzjV-ZaTU

I want one of these

Just don't wanna pay $250 for a HF tool

>using this argument on Veeky Forums of all places.

brb picking up a lambo at the nearest VW dealership.

It's not that sort of situation

It's like saying a Mitsubishi eclipse is better than an eagle talon just because it's japanese and will be more reliable

They do their jobs just fine for people that only use them occasionally. Obviously a pro would spend the money on Snap On or Mac

These Craftsman ones are surprisingly good. The shop I used to work for had a couple and they lasted through years of abuse. They don't put out a fuckload of torque, but I hardly ever ran into a fastener they couldn't handle, and they were controllable enough to put lugnuts/bolts in without overtorquing them.

Why are they shit? Not trolling, just want an actual argument

Pro-tip: Craftsman Cordless tools are made by One World Industries, which is a subsidiary of the same conglomerate that owns Ryobi. their current tool line is just Ryobi drills painted black.

AvE's review of the Earthquake model does a pretty good job of breaking down why it doesn't suck compared other HF stuff; it doesnt cut corners in materials and wiring and keeps things straightforward with a really big hammer and anvil on the inside to keep up with the better quality brands.

Milwaukee 2763, Makita XWT08 and Dewalt DCF899 are all about the same when it comes to brushless 1/2" impact wrenches; 1200ft/lbs+ of power, variable speed modes and not overly massive, even with big batteries. Milwaukee has a newer 2767 2nd Generation Impact wrench that beats the pants off of the competition in a smaller package but its still hard to find. the higher end brands like Snap On and Ingersol Rand are about the same in terms of power, the difference is that they are built to do the job in tougher environments over a longer period of time, which just isnt something most users will run their equipment long enough or hard enough to see the difference in.

the current lineup of Impact Wrenches from various manufacturers are all really solid and make pneumatic models obsolete for 90% of applications. if you're working in a shop all day or are taking apart Semi's with 1" drive sockets, stick with a pneumatic wrench, but pretty much everyone else can get away with a nice cordless one running off of the same batteries as the rest of your tools.

just get a torgue adapter
amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2299-2-Inch-Square-8-Inch/dp/B001GLSL0S

Harbor Freight is stepping up their game big time. Unfortunately that means that they cost more to make and therefore buy. It's great that there is competition in the industry though.

Believe it or not, One World Industries is a subsidiary of Techtronic Industries, which owns the Milwaukee tool brand. Not that this necessarily means anything about the tools, it's just interesting to point out. Milwaukee and Ryobi are owned by the same company as well.

Although they are obviously different tools.

Yeah it seems to be a common speaking error these days for whatever reason. I've come across
a few people who say impact driver when they mean impact wrench. Hate to be pedantic, but if there is a place to be pedantic, it is the internet.

I’ll stand by all the Milwaukee posters itt. Got a set of 2 m18 wrenches, an m12 driver and an m12 electric ratchet for my job (bus mechanic), the only time I need air is changing brake rotors or hubs, any other time the 1/2” high torque gun is plenty (I like to call it “the nutbuster” because it can break almost any seized bolt I need it to). The 3/8” gun isn’t terribly powerful, but the variable speed makes it good for cranking bolts down to a reasonable level without overtorquing. The hex-bit driver is super handy, I haven’t used a manual screwdriver since I got it, except as a pry bar. Same goes for the electric ratchet, good for tight spaces and bolts with long threads that take forever to get out by hand.

8.5 out of 10, doesn’t have the sheer quality of snap-on, but a much better deal.