MANUAL VS AUTO - daily driver edition - WHICH IS BEST

Heavily depends on the specific transmissions you're comparing.

manual.

i like reliable lightweight transmissions that dont use a lot of power.
so like a Richmond, or jericho, or t10

Drive a computer-controlled clutch, for the worst of both.

Manual on any car before 2010.
Otherwise get an auto.

Manual if you can drive it
Automatic if you're an uncoordinated weakling and can't

Manual but I never had the occasion to drive an automatic car. In my country these are simply not used as much as in the USA

Why do people suddenly think that being able to drive a manual is a point of pride? Literally anyone can drive a manual. My grandma can drive a manual. It's not hard, it doesn't take skill, it's just a pain the ass for daily driving. Obviously there are benefits if you're actually trying to drive your car for fun, but OP said daily. Manual for weekend, auto for daily.

Auto daily
Manual fun car

It's an American thing. Most cars are auto so having a manual or "stick" is a badge of honor for car enthusiasts. Whereas everywhere else manual is the norm.

this
the roads where I live are populated by subhuman retard drivers who cause the traffic to be very stop and go, automatic is the only choice

sequential manual

This is my situation and I've been really considering a manual, is it really that big of a pain in the ass that it makes the experience a chore?

preorder a Model 3

This, I would take a pdk or even a ZF over some shitty 5 speed

It would go great with the dicks in my ass all of the time.

Here in Germany most cars still have manual shift. To be honest this was one of the main reason why i didn't buy me a Toyota Hybrid last time i've bought a new car. I'm scared that once i'm used to automatic i won't be able to switch back to manual. Of course automatic is way more comfortable to drive, especially in the city.

>I'm scared that once i'm used to automatic i won't be able to switch back to manual.
If it's one of those automatics that lets you change gears then you'll be fine.

>It's not hard, it doesn't take skill, it's just a pain the ass for daily driving.

You're missing the point. You for example can't drive a manual if you can't drive it in traffic. Manual is no problem in any traffic if you just know how to drive.

Manual when you can heel toe
>shift down to get close to redline
>controll when shifts happen
>better real life mpg
>transmission probably outlasts engine
t. pizza guy delivering in german city

CVT could get decent, when they finaly make one that lasts, can take some more power and does not have huge power losses.

That's silly

You actually don't have to heel toe if you aren't literally on a track, just rev match otherwise.

>my car
>sit close because comfier
>in turn literally impossible to heel toe with that pedal box

>You actually don't have to heel toe if you aren't literally on a track
If you have a unsynchronised 1st you have to heel toe to get into it at any speed obove 5 km/h

Look up what heel toeing means my man. It's braking + rev matching at the same time. I do rev match every gear but I'm not in such a hurry that I have to brake at the same time.

>braking + rev matching at the same time
Well, I usualy downshift when braking and upshift wile accellerating.
Sometimes I even doubble clutch when I need to get in 1st at relatively high speed.

whatever you prefer. the manual elitists might as well be bragging about how well they tie their shoes. driving stick isn't really a unique or interesting skill.

>tfw you have size 13 feet and your foot literally can not fit sideways over the pedals

I hate not being able to heel toe properly but at least I can kinda just use the sides of my feet to do the same thing lol. Plus I usually drift when I go hard anyways so I never really need to heel toe.

>I'm scared that once i'm used to automatic i won't be able to switch back to manual
It'll take some getting used to again, but driving manual isn't something you'll unlearn easily, especially if you've done it a lot.
t. western neighbour

OH BOY ANOTHER EPIC THREAD

Unimog is best manual

>get in 1st at relatively high speed.
kek
Are you trying to get your cylinder heads into orbit?

That is why I said relatively high speed, I downshift to about 5000-6000 rpm

manual

>trying to go into 1st at anything faster than walking pace
Nice job outing yourself as a busrider there champ.

Yes, people who shill manuals are NEETs that don't drive their 3k civics to work every day during peak traffic hours. Instead they drive at night with little to no traffic and can't understand why automatics are so appealing to the vast majority of the world.

If you spin up the input shaft of your transmission and your engine properly before shifting, that is not a issue at all.

If you just try to force your car in 1st gear while driving like 40 km/h you will obviously fail with most gearboxes...

Aye manual is better for a weekend car or someone who doesn't love in a city
>inb4 NEET driving his mom's corolla says "dats becuz u cant dwive manyual"

>continuously redlining an engine
You realize that the engine lasts longer when you don't regularly take it to it's highest rpm limit right? I drive a manual civic and never let it go past 5k rpms, and generally keep it below 4k.

Where did I say something about continuos redlining?
It is just something you can do if you want to...

I deliver Pizza from 17:00 to 23:45 with a manual in a city.
Peak traffic is about 17:30 to 18:30 here and not a issue at all, just don´t inch forwards on the clutch all the time.

I love manuals and would more than likely pick a manual over an automatic if there is an option for the both.

But, it really depends on the application. A racing automatic will always outperform a manual. And a manual will always be a better driving experience than an auto. Just depends on what you’re looking for.

Preferring auto for the relief in stop start traffic is valid
Prefering manual for the 'fun factor' is valid

The best is to stop making threads about this ancient bus rider tier question

My first car was manual, and yes, it's a pain when you're driving in a heavy traffic. Plus you have to keep your hand unoccupied, this can also be inconvenient.
I won't mind driving a manual, but I'll pick auto any day.

Definitely automatic. I used to know this car guy. He was heavy into the whole thing and usually had 1-4 projects going at once. He not shit told me thing
>Manuals are cool and all but its an archaic way of moving a car. Automatics were introduced YEARS ago to take away old technology.
This is the same guy who had street cars. capable of 6 seconds.Most of this shit was so fast that if you missed a gear and your transmission was not up to par you would destroy it. He usually runs spec'd up autos or some form of one.

Currently he is building a 1000 hp car paired with a cvt capable of holding all that. I asked him"what like f1". To which he responded "exactly". He essentially wants to build something that looks exactly like a street car but its under body is that of a street f1 car". He is just working on the engine/trans at this point but has some ideas for frames and whatever. Essentially his goal is to make a performance car dependent that is flawless in operation...alot of this is dependent on computers though.

I mostly use my car to commute to work every morning. So I appreciate the no hassle automatic transmission.

>1000 hp car paired with a cvt capable of holding all that
I bet that thing will rev to the moon and back, since no comercialy sold CVT can take much torque and you can only beef them up to a certain extend.

>vast majority of the world
America is not the majority of the world

I drive my manual MRS track/dd to work every day.
I prefer driving the fuck out of that over bumpy, literally sinkhole filled, congested roads vs my automatic suv winter beater.
Because its fun, brings a smile to my face and I don't fall asleep from lack of shit to do

>muh towsand horz pawa
Fuck off bus rider

why not both?

i own both.
personally the manual is more of a weekend car, and highway fun vehicle. automatics are way better for daily traffic and just going to the store.
personally though the meme of auto or manual is really old. its like comparing sticks and stones.
just choose the one you have the most fun with and enjoy the most

Automatics suit the average consumer better than sticks do in every way. Enthusiasts do not guide the market.

seriously, automatics are so convenient when you're surrounded by numbskulls in a city. Buy a fun manual car for weekends on the roads

I drive Uber in a manual car 6 hours a day

WHY
DO
ALL
OF
YOU
MORONS
TO
THESE
BLATANT
BAIT
THREADS
EVERY
SINGLE
GOD
DAMN
DAY?

>00
Truth

Why did you bump this garbage thread when it was on like page 6?

Dude I cant wait to see the outcome. I was asking him why cvt? Wouldn't 1000 hp literally just shred it to pieces. Apparently they are really what should be the "go to" transmission for high power applications. The way he described it to me was like its just going to be like going from 1-10 instead of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10. The power is right there...no need to go through the steps. He has an old bmw frame from the mid 2000s. Its literally just a frame... I hope he stuffs it into there.

>Wouldn't 1000 hp literally just shred it to pieces.
Transmissions don´t get destroyed by power, they snap due to torque.

For example:
You can have a transmission desinged for a 80 hp SOHC 4A-GE paired with a 230 hp 11.000 rpm tofu engine since the torque is about the same, but a 15 hp Bulldog would destroy it with its insane torque.

> 1-10 instead of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10. The power is right there
That is also the reason why Teslas are so great at the 1/4 and 1/8 mile...

8 speed torque converter auto

This is a meme, only when you go above redline do you affect your engine's longevity. There is literally no difference between driving down the highway in 2nd gear at 6500 rpm or 6th at 1700 rpm.

If you drive a manual like it was an automatic (1 - 20, 2 - 40, 3 -60, etc...), then get the automatic. If you just want to control the revs every once in a while, get an auto with a simulated manual mode. If you enjoy having full artistic (autistic?) control over all of the inputs, don't rely on the machine to make your art.

is the plot of initial d in india?

I'm no car autist so my first thought is more revs = more wear, is this inaccurate somehow?

It's pretty imperceptible. Everything has a layer of oil to slide on, so there's almost nothing for frictional wear. The biggest issue would be heat and potential loss of oil viscosity at high temperatures, creating a problem.

depends where you drive. if you drive on the highway there is no noticeable difference cause you're in top gear 95% of the time. I'd pick manual though cause it makes overtaking easier.
but if you live in the city and you're lazy like me, i'd get an automatic. it just makes life that tiniest bit easier. it's all personal preference though.