How stupid would it be to buy a well maintained E60 m5? economically maddening?

How stupid would it be to buy a well maintained E60 m5? economically maddening?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K8h-hZouHZk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

absolutely asinine. The single clutch automatic will burn itself if you drive 100% in city stop and go traffic.

Motor work is expensive because "muh f1 engine".

Make sure its had the VANOS serviced recently by BMW dealership and not anyone else.

lmao just get a kia stinger

I used to own a E63. I sold it when I learned how much repairs cost (replacement oil pump for the retarded oil system is $8k parts plus labor). It was a fun car otherwise, very easy to control at speed. I wasn't fond of the SMG transmission though.

If you actually understand what you are getting into, its a great idea. In most respects the V10 M5 is an amazing car, and a guaranteed future classic.
The V10 sounds amazing, and its an incredible performance sedan, but like most of the M engines, there are some long term internal issues, oil changes and tires are going to end up costing you more than you originally think, and the preventative maintenance meme is a very real thing.
Maintenance $$,$$$ aside, its a pretty fast, very well handling, beautiful sounding, V10, sports sedan that will command a premium in the future, just look at the M tax on the last one, and this is from BMWs crazy large engine era.
9/10 would buy, as long as your expectations are aligned to what you are buying. it will not be a 4k civic.

Thx!

I'm actually looking into the E39 M5's, gathering info regarding what to look into (noisy vanos syste, cluster radio pixelation, etc.).

What I noticed is that there's way more E60's for sale than E39's. Hence why the post..

I doubt they will be future classics. The car depends on a VANOS system that uses four solenoids. The solenoids are essentially consumable, meaning around every 50k miles they will go bad beyond repair and need to be replaced. Since no one has figured out how to fix them, the supply will eventually dry up and the price has only continued to rise. They are respectable cars but the engines are time bombs, they are too complicated for garage mechanics and because of the wonkiness of the SMG most of them will probably end up in the scrap heap.

A lot of people sold/are trying to sell theirs since BMW raised the price of the solenoids by 400%. They're $1600 apiece last time I checked, and as I said you have to replace all four. I would get something else personally. I would not buy one at all unless you have an additional $15k beyond the price of the vehicle to spend on emergency repairs, and at that price there are better options.

WHAT 1600 for one soloneoid? And i tought 150 euro for my bmw 130i was a lot..

Why not just (invent?) put in the VTECH KILLER equivalent?

I have always wanted one but the repair costs for an M5 or M6 are retarded, couple that with the insane mpg (10 mpg highway) and the likeliness of needing a rebuild after 100k miles, it's just not worth it unless you have money to waste.

Good thing I asked you guys to get some sense in me. I read that the VANOS system was expensive to service but holy shit okay...

my dd is a 2010 impreza, so really I'm looking for a "fun" car that is expected to be somewhat of a money pit as long as it's not financially stupid. I have a garage and I can learn and get my hands dirty but I won't go rebuilding engines or doing an oil change with a water hose.

What I realized these days is that an E30 M3 was "purchasable" 4-5 years ago in the 20K range, and that I don't know what the fuck happened these days, but the value of E30's went through the roof, 325i's going for over 10K. So yeah, I'm trying to see if I can find an M car at a reasonable price which would "likely" depreciate at a lower rate or even take value.

Get an E46 M3 or E39 M5 then.
Doug agrees btw
youtube.com/watch?v=K8h-hZouHZk

If you have your heart set on a BMW M car I recommend the M235i/M240i. I almost bought one when I traded in the M6 but I got a Subaru STI instead. They are very good cars all around and reasonably priced, but I wanted four doors and couldn't find one with a manual.

I definitely miss the M6 in some ways but it wasn't worth the hassle. Spend your money on something that will treat you better.

That's not an M car, and will not at all be important or cool in 10 years.

There's not really a meaningful difference between the M235i/M240i and the M2, and the current crop of M cars being built by BMW sure will be meaningful in 10 years because they're likely to be the last generation of manual M cars. Future gens will be automatic and probably hybridized.

>There's not really a meaningful difference between the M235i/M240i and the M2
Are you baiting dude?
Things that the M2 has that the M235/M240 don't:
>limited-slip differential
>forged internals for the engine (aka more longevity and reliability as well as potential)
>improved subframe and other suspension components
>M built transmission

i agree on the most part, also not that dude but you actually can get an LSD on the M235i/M240i via the M Performance parts

Buying any European car is incredibly stupid.

Buying any car is stupid. Ride a bike or use public trans, you lazy pos

>buying a used premium Merc or BMW
Unless you're making enough money to buy that car brand new, don't.

Id buy an e36 m3. They are laughingly undervalued and set to appreciate like they already have in Europe. I've seen American spec M3's in Europe sell at auction for multiples more than in the US.