S550 mustang reliability

I'm scared guys. I dont want to buy a badly engineered vehicle, but I'm obsessed with Mustangs. Love the sound. Love the fact I can get 300HP with "decent" gas mileage.

Why settle for 300 when you could get 435? What about a new Mustang would be badly engineered or unreliable?

I'd get a pre-owned 2017 (or late 2016) if you can. Early models had some interior quality issues I've heard.

They are extremely reliable vehicles, which is probably why you see one on the road every 20 seconds.

I see them on the side of the road few and far between. And if I do see them on the side of the road, it’s always a beat up SN95. Not anything new.

You’re fine with getting a Mustang, user. They are fun and reliable cars. The only ones I’d stay away from are the 2005-2010 V6 and GT’s. They have had some wiring problems and spark plug problems. Anything else is golden. And if you want to get a 2015+ and can’t afford the GT, get the Ecoboost. And make sure you get a Premium model. The basic V6’s interior is pretty pleb in comparison to the Premiums. Hell, I don’t even know if the V6 in the new generation comes in manual.

your opinion might change when you drive one, i know it did for me

compared to smaller sports cars it feels like you're driving a truck. The view outside the windshield certainly doesn't help either as you basically just see a huge bland expanse of hood.

it is really fast though.

Ford seems to have a reputation among asian families as "unreliable as shit". I used to think "no theyre wrong but the new Focus and Fiestas are absolute shitboxes. I know the Fusion is alright, but even the Explorer had a massive recall. The V6 is a good balance, and im sure it sounds better than the turbo4 (especially since Ford likes to amplify sound of the turbo4 through the speakers)

>Explorer massive recall
Not sure what you're on about; the only notable recall they had was an exhaust leak into the cabin. Yeah not exactly good; but isn't an actual 'reliablity' issue.

As a whole; the Focus/Fiesta STs can be quite fun (I have a Focus ST). Correction, Ford doesn't pipe sound through the stereo. They attached a hose against the cabin's firewall that amplifies the sound of the intake. So it's a *real* sound, just cheated a good bit. The only one, I know, who actually does that shit through the speakers is BMW.

Ford does have a couple of black eyes in their modern history, the 5.4 3V, the Fiesta/Focus Automatic Transmission; but if you do research and know what to avoid, everything else in their line up is generally really reliable. Hell, my Focus ST has 70k pain-free miles on it.

Are you me? I'm Korean and I keep telling my parents I'm saving up for the end of year sale on 2018 Mustang GTs, but they still think I should get a Toyota econobox.

Thanks for the clarification! I'm guessing the 3.7 V6 isn't something that will give me shit. Two things though, my friend's 2013 V6 water pump went out around 40k miles. An amateur 'mechanic' told me the A/C will go out under 100k in a Ford vehicle.

Indian here. Parents thing I should daily a Honda CRV or Toyota CHR to uni. I fucking hate SlowUglyVehicles.

Check forums for the car you want.. All of the major models that Ford makes has a community run forum dedicated to that particular model. Cars like the Mustang are certainly no exception; troll that forum for a few hours and you'll get INSANE amounts of data regarding real-world use/reliability/common issues with whatever configuration you're looking at.

As far as I know, the 3.7 V6 shouldn't give you issues either; the last big item that bit Ford in the ass was the Focus/Fiesta automatic transmission that had a huge proclivity for shitting the bed. Beyond that, haven't heard anything major as of late.

That's because parents have different priorities. They've got 18 years of investment into you and they'd rather not see it all go down the drain because their moron child decided to Tagumi themselves into a pole.

I absolutely understand, but they know I do not drink or smoke. Maintained straight As all throughout high school and plan on graduating uni in 3 years on a full scholarship. Never really asked for much. All im saying is, although I'm an inexperienced driver, I'm responsible enough. I don't plan on racing (yet), and just want something that looks nice and is faster than a corolla.

Jesus you really are me. Like an Indian version of me.

Yes the autos were shit in focuses. Does that at all relate to a mustang? And you want the v8, everybody who gets a non-v8 pony car eventually regrets it. I've seen it happen time and time again.

I absolutely want the V8. But its either a V6 automatic or honda/toyota shitbox. Before the mustang I was looking at Miatas but "too small its unsafe". Before the Miata I was planning on a Honda rebel 500 with ABS (motorcycle). I'm running out of options!

yep

Just make sure to actually practice first before you start pushing your shitbox to the limit. The reason why mustang drivers are known to be shit is because they don't realize that the V8 is way harder to control than their usual non-turbo 4 cylinder.

Yeah im going to take it to a big empty parking lot and "get to know it". Until then, its max traction control and eco-mode driving (if it has that type of setting)

Ford is trash everywhere
If you travel enough, especially in mexico and central/south america, you’ll realize ford is the worst american brand.
Chevy>dodge>shit>>>>>>>>>>>ferd for reliability and longevity, at least for american cars.
Obviously they want any japanese car/truck down there because they can take the abuse

Please elaborate. I thought its common knowledge that FCA is absolute shit. Pretty sure Dodge and chrysler is TERRIBLE compared to Ford. Also, Chevy seems to being doing well-ish but not as good as Ford. Have you had past cars from Ford that have broken down before 100k?

They're pretty reliable from what I've gathered.

Do yourself a favor user, don't put stock in these retards who spout blatantly biased, unfounded opinions.

There's no way in hell Ford is less reliable than FCA.
t. Ram owner.

+1, agreed. Why do you think Dodge/Chevy > Ford (atleast in 2017)

i cant speak for the 15+s but i can tell you the drive train is sold. My buddy get a 13 GT with the 5.0 as his first fucking car. He beat the shit out of the car and still managed to sell it from a GTI. The car had issues only because of how badly he treated it. These cars are overall pretty reliable, but at the end of the day if you launch the thing at every stop for years shit is going to break. But that is to be expected. the ecoboost is a bit less reliable from what i hear

>dodge not dead-last
n/o/g detected

Cool thanks for the input, and i'm not really a fan of the ecoboosts. A four cylinder in a pony/muscle car is really killing its vibe. Large naturally aspirated engines also sound much, much better! (When compared to four cylinders)

Well then somebody should tell my landscaper and all the gardeners, contractors, in socal aka lil mexico stop driving fords because their shitboxes will be towed by my HOA if they break down in my community. Also, do see them drive lots of chevy but rarely if ever a dodge(seem to hate dodge trucks only). Also why does my pool cleaner's ford have a LOBO badge where f-series emblem goes, some weird market strategy to make latinos feel like predators or something or copyright issues?
inb4 ford wolf.... its the same truck from what i can see.

I have a 2011 V6 3.7 and they are absolutely right about the power pump, but once you change it for a newer one it should last quite a bit of time.

Also don't be scared if it smells funny at WOT at the beggining. It may be the car just breaking in, but if it still happens after a couple of thousand miles, you may need an Oil catcher.

And please, try to get one with the premium interior, it's so much worth it, and if it's an automatic, tune it, if it's a manual, tune it and change the clutch spring assist for a steeda one.

The 3.7 engine is a very reliable one, almost bullet proff. Just my 2cents

Lobo is a trim for the F150 in Mexico, kinda like the F150 Texas edition.