So what are your thoughts on oil filters, Veeky Forums...

So what are your thoughts on oil filters, Veeky Forums? Should you go the OEM route always or are aftermarket ones good enough? I've been using FRAM extra guard the last two oil changes, seems to be fine. Or should I not buy that and either buy OEM or a more expensive aftermarket filter?

>Using fram filters

Switch to any of the following, OP.
>Wix
>M1
>Purolator
>Bosch
>OEM

LITERALLY CARDBOARD

I use motorcraft or bosch.
Stay away from fram.

I'd say there generally are some differences - but I'll also say that using the right oil and changing out the oil & filter at the right time is more important than what filter you use

I use Toyota OEM (Denso) oil filters as its more readily available, and there really aren't that many others to choose from for my engine. I might try the Bosch filter at one point tho, if I can make sure it fits

Okie dokes, had no idea about FRAM, thanks for the warning lads.

>fram extra guard
>cardboard
Did you learn everything you know about cars from memes

OUTTA MY WAY SHITLORDS

OEM or k&n for the nut

Go OEM or motorcraft. You can see without taking one apart why you shouldn’t use fram

Used mann last time, they're good but I got 2 hengst filters for cheap and they seem more sturdy somehow, not that it really matters

I use motorcraft

So would purolator be a good one to switch to then?

so does anyone have a fucking reason as to why fram filters are shit, or are ya'll just spouting memes?

>MUH CARDBORD

yes, i know its cardboard. now, tell me why its bad

I have only used MANN in my BMWs. They're like 4 dollars more than the fram filters, and I will pay extra for peace of mind. I've also heard of Mahle.

I usually trust Napa brand tools, so I figured their filters would be good too. I opened a napa oil filter and it looked almost like a Fram to me. I returned it and got a MANN at a different napa.

oh wow, theyre both fucking cardboard excluding the steel caps that dont filter shit

DO you want something known to break down under constant fluid exposure or do you want metal? Also notice that Fram uses less filtration pleats.

Who /STP/ here?

Can I just change my oil filter and keep my old oil?

Explain to my why you think that would work. I want to read this.

B-because it filters the o-oil and keeps it clean so you can keep using it

How are you going to keep the oil in the engine when you take the filter off?
Although you technically can do the reverse, new oil + old filter. Only use it for 2 cycles max, though.

Just catch it in a bucket

Stp is /my guy/

Professional vato zone vato here. AutoZone owns stp since like last year, it's the in house brand. 5 quarts and a filter for 18$ plus 20 percent off employee discount. Love that shit I even bought the comfy hat pic related

I have used wix xp filters in the past but just about any decent filter will do. A quality filter is super cheap even compared to an engine. Why cheap out a few bucks?

Purolator PureONE

I would always stay with an own filter, 99% of the time they are truly the best one, minus a few racing type high flow units, or the required change from a relocation or oil cooler kit. Oem filters rarely exceed $10 unless you drive some euro mobile.

If you must use garbage china auto zone filters I would stay away from anything with a square cut seal.

The tube seal (large o-ring) is the way most oem use anyway.

Square cut garbage always leaks.

>FRAM
might as well just use a fucking rag in a tin can

I've always bought FRAM and never had issues.

I fail to see the issue of them. Never leaked on me, never caused issues. So why should I buy something else?

>1996 Ford Thunderbird LX
>2010 Honda Civic EX
>2009 Ford Focus SE
>2001 Chevy Silverado K2500

I used to use motorcraft, bosch or K&N on my ford
just got a honda and will probably keep using either of those.
don't think i can use motorcraft on the honda though.

I've just used K&N because i haven't heard anything horrible about them.

I'm of the grouchy old guy opinion on filters.

I mean, ideally you are changing your oil before there are really any sort of nasty particulates in it, and before it loses it's viscosity.

Now, given that unless something goes wrong, this item is there to filter something that doesn't really need to be filtered, you don't need to overspend. I've had plenty a dirt bike and tractor that see some sketchy duty cycles on the oil changes with no filters, at all. Never had one fail due to engine blowing up either.

You just need something that won't fall apart. Spend your peanuts on OIL not the filter.

If your filter is actually serving it's purpose, AND FILTERING YOU ARE GETTING CHUNKS OF SHIT IN YOUR OIL, A WAAAY BIGGER PROBLEM THAN WHETHER OR NOT ITS MADE OF CARDBOARD.
probably will have a hell of a lot more relevance to the life of the engine than which jews got your filter shekels.

Change oil often. Fuck filters, use anything. Hate on.

I'm a Bosch boy but now since I'm Volvo life I'm using wix filters with metal reinforcement. Its only 5 bucks more compared to just paper and I feel like it's worth the peace of mind

Perfect, Bosch is my OEM.

I use Mannol oil and an SCT filter, no idea how good they are but the car runs fine and they're cheap.

And pour a load of shrapnel into the engine and grenade it? The filter just catches it, but it can get right back into the engine if you fuck up or mix oil/filters.

If your engine is making "shrapnel" you have more problems that an oil change procedure on your hands.

I try to use mobil1 oil and filters every time I can, if not a mobil1 filter then at least a Purolator boss. I used to have the poster of all the filters side by side cut open, I'll see if I can find it.

In regards to filters, do any of you use a slightly longer filter then your application calls for? I do as it gives more filtration area inside the filter.

>just ordered a case of oem honda oil filters for my 91 civic

Who jelly

Do you guys prefill? My filter location is horizontal and I hate spilling oil

I used to on my cars but this aw11 has the worst oil filter on any vehicle I’ve ever had, and causes a mess just changing normally.

Only a few people seem to know this brand despite being one of best in class.

K&N Powersport