E39 540i

Just picked one up, can other wise an/o/ns red pill me on maint

It's a 2003 540i M-tech 6 speed

Other urls found in this thread:

m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=443490892&zip=02664&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&searchRadius=0&transmissionGroup=MAN&mmt=[BMW[540I[]][]]
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i miss my e39 :/

maintenance is replace everything because everything will fail as soon as you fix the last thing that broke

It's a bmw

replace all fluids

oil, trans, diff, etc

all your filters, fuel etc

new spark plugs are kinda cheap and help prevent carbon buildup

I replace a quart of oil(be sure you are aware bmws typically take 7 qts. Thats on the 6 cyls i don't know about the 8cys just make sure you look in manual/google it) with marvel mystery oil the first oil change. I don't know why I like the stuff so much but my grandfather sold me on it. Read the back of the bottle and put it in your gas take as well

Bmws commonly have problems with vaccum leaks in the engine bays(again I don't know anything about this specific engine) So here's a tip if ya got vaccum leak codes, or it's idling rough

If they're all rubber hoses, go to an autozone/orileys etc and just replace them all. You'll spend $10 in total and have no more leaks. Neat. Be sure to buy hose clamps if the ones in the car are worn/stripped

Don't buy water pumps or any of that gay shit preventively. that's dumb as shit. let it break

this ugly nigger loving loser t-boned my e39 and now i drive an e28 because insurance decided i was 20% at fault for failing to see him about to hit me

So that guy dunks sweet chocolate while you suffer? Figure your shit out. Here's a one owner 540 for less than five grand with the MPack and a six speed. Tighten up

m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=443490892&zip=02664&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&searchRadius=0&transmissionGroup=MAN&mmt=[BMW[540I[]][]]

I've already flushed and replaced all fluids.

Engine had been completely disassembled, cleaned, new gaskets, new timing chain, timing chain guides, water pump, oil pump, rad, power steering, 90% of all the lines in engine bay, new motor mounts, replaced every single fucking thing I could in front and rear suspension, new brake lines, pads and rotors, new alternator, new battery

It runs so smooth right now I can put a toonie on the engine cover sideways while it runs and it doesn't tip over or move

The timing chain guides are probably the worst parts of these engines. If they're replaced, then you're probably in good shape. Hopefully the vanos controllers are in good shape. Mine started getting sticky around 130000 miles in both of my 540s. There are seal replacement kits that are a pain it the ass, and only kept them working for around 30k more miles. Otherwise, they're like $800 each, and you pretty much have to rip the whole front half of the engine off to replace them. After you've done it a few times, it doesn't take that long.

Fuck man, I heard the vanos has a lot of issues but it looked okay.

I should have replaced it while I was in there

dont worry, as soon as bitcoin makes me rich im gonna buy another one, but it has to be 2003 because those are the best looking ones

That would have been the time to do it. They're kind of expensive to change out for preventative maintenance.

Would you recommend just doing the seals/gaskets in it or just replace the whole fucking thing

buy a bunch of those buttons for the climate controls before they get harder to find. they crack very easily. pretty sure a third party website exists just to sell the buttons and panels because breaking is so common.

Really? I find that kinda hard to believe these ones are mint and I don't see them breaking anytime soon but I guess it's not a bad idea to have all bases covered, I'll order a set or 2 online tmrw

they didnt have m-TECHS in 2003, user. im calling your bullshit

Lots of seals and gaskets to replace, but 540i is a good car.

I tried replacing the seals and gaskets on one of the cars, and it only went about 30000 miles before they started getting stuck again. Fishing the seals into the unit without fucking them up is a pain in the ass. If you're going to do it, get extra sets of seals before you year them apart.

2003 is the only year that had this specific M-tech package, do some research

03 was the only year e39 M-tech was offered in the states, I have a topaz blue one

what? BMW had M Tech packages in the 80's too

user that isn't your car. M-Sports did not come with extended leather.

look at the tach, it's an M5

They may have improved on the late model e39s but idk. My mom's 2000 528i had a bunch break and many of the e39s I've seen irl and online had the same problem. Could be due to florida climate, german plastics and glued on components seem to not last as long down here.

Never said it was

So, what does /bmwg/ think of the 530i or the 330i?

Good choice OP it's a great car, please keep it in good condition

its ALWAYS cheaper to get a well sorted example than to catch up on some other guy's maintenance

i've dropped $5,500 on mah gurl (03 540i touring) in maintenance over the past 27 months, although $2000 of that is in mods like an aluminum fan shroud and expansion tank, and a winter wheel set with winter tires. i paid 8 grand for her, when i should have waited and got a better maintained example with a detailed maintenance history for 10 grand.

and i still have more to catch up on, need to do a full suspension refresh (2 grand) and i'm getting ready to do the big timing chain guide job (1.5 grand and about 15 hours of work)

but man is it worth it, i adore the e39 platform now