Too good to be true, Veeky Forums?

Too good to be true, Veeky Forums?

sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/2005-rx8-clean/6352453349.html

>'05 RX-8
>107k miles
>Megan coilovers worth $700 (at least new)
>Listed for $3500
>Kelley's (not the end-all be-all for cars, I know, but still a good starting point) has FAIR '05 100k+ RX-8s going for $3500, to say nothing of a like-new as this appears to be.

Is something probably broken? Is it probably a lemon?

Help me Veeky Forums, I just want a cheap dorifto toe-gay car, and don't want a fucking mustang (which are pretty much the only other sub-$5000 RWD listings in my area)

Other urls found in this thread:

sandiego.craigslist.org/search/cto?search_distance=50&postal=92136&max_price=4500&condition=10&condition=20&condition=30&condition=40&auto_drivetrain=2&auto_transmission=1&auto_bodytype=2&auto_bodytype=3&auto_bodytype=4&auto_bodytype=8
sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/mazda-rx7/6351030761.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't rotary engines shit themselves at 80k or something?

Engine probably needs to be gone through but it's a good project and you'll have a great car when it's back together.

>RX-8
into the trash.png.ogg.ppt

Now if that was an RX7 go for it.

Just go look at it in person

Chances are the undercarriage is fucking thrashed, given that one of the pictures has him at like 4" of clearance. Also rotaries a shit for longevity, ask him if he's rebuilt it/done any powertrain work at all.

Like I said, I want a decent RWD car, but am morally opposed to Mustangs. Like, not maymay-status "DURR RUN INTO A CROWD", I just really don't like their styling, from Fox-bodies onward. Other than MUH INITIAL D, are RX-8s really that trash vice RX-7s?

Fugg. How hard/expensive is rebuilding a rotary?

Okay, revision for those of you who were kind enough to respond, look at my local search results:

sandiego.craigslist.org/search/cto?search_distance=50&postal=92136&max_price=4500&condition=10&condition=20&condition=30&condition=40&auto_drivetrain=2&auto_transmission=1&auto_bodytype=2&auto_bodytype=3&auto_bodytype=4&auto_bodytype=8

>Mustangs
>Mustangs
>BMWs (don't want an older one because heard maintenance is a bitch)
>A bunch of Miatas

>>inb4getamiata

sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/mazda-rx7/6351030761.html

literally an RX-7 on your results. you're fucking welcome

>Replaced all vac hoses and fuel lines

also someone who knows what's what with rotaries

An rx8 is literally a 2+2 NC Miata FWIW

So should I just get redpill on getting a Miata?

Or is sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/mazda-rx7/6351030761.html a decent RX-7?

>odometer: 200

you tell me

A Miata is a cheap, fun, sporty little piece of shit. It's not gonna break any records, but it's also not going to break the bank.

Otherwise, if you're so fixated on getting a RWD, stop being a faggot and just get a Mustang, they aren't bad (especially if you get a V8). If you're in San Diego, there's probably a fuckload of milfags selling them for cheap anyway, if it's anything like when I lived near Norfolk a few years ago.

>RX8
>8

You'll literally find a more reliable car in a Yugo GV.

>Megan coilovers

there's your reason to avoid it. some piece of shit eBay coilovers will do more harms than good to the chassis. I'd rather pay a bit more for a stock RX8.

you have to add a new engine to the price. in europe 50% of used RX8 > 100K have a new engine on them. Hard to buy this shit after seen that

okay so

All of the people ITT have fairly-unanimously said

>over 100k miles
>engines borked

I get it. I'm not dismissing you guys out of hand. The seller says (and I know that this is the point, people lie/exaggerate/hide issues):

>No sign of low compression . Pulls all the way to 9k rpm. Replaces starter about 6 months ago.

So this meshes with a quick lookup of "common RX-8 issues".

>Mentions compression, one of the videos I saw would not shut up about it for like 2 minutes straight
>Replaced the starter, one of the videos I saw mentioned how gen 1 starters a shit, so maybe that's why?

I know you guys are just trying to steer me right, but all I can see is:

>$3500 for a mildly-sporty '00s coupe that manages the dual feat of not being a Mustang nor a Beamer

so unless the engine is completely dead, and/or fucks my cat, I'm almost willing to get it for the chassis alone, then (re)build the engine as necessary, in the future, if it takes a shit.

But since I only intend to take it out for weekends and tracks, I see no real need for daily driver-level, thousands-of-miles reliability. I'm not saying I WANT it to shit out on me later, just saying... how much can "later" be, before it becomes a bad investment?

Chances are good you will need an engine rebuild in the next 10k miles. As long as you factor that in and are OK with it, you're all good.

OP, it's fairly clear to me that this thread is no longer (or perhaps even never was) about "hey Veeky Forums convince me NOT to get this car", it was "hey Veeky Forums I'm getting this car, please validate my decision".

In my opinion, an RX-8 in general is a bad choice. Mazda was trying to recapture the magic it had with the RX-7, but kind of missed everything about the 7 that made it special. It's a (again, my opinion) big, bulky car for the 'sporty coupe' you're looking for, it's got reliability issues as you should well know if you've found any of the number of self-help videos on RX-8s' issues, and this one's almost certainly on its last legs, hence why the seller says he garage keeps it and drives it once a week.

But in the end, buy whatever makes you happy. As says, it'll probably die soon. That said, it can make a decent project car for you to learn how to rebuild an engine, if you've never done one before, or at least how to rebuild a rotary.

RX-8s really have no friendliness to aftermarket powertrain tuning, so you're kinda shit outta luck if you were hoping to turn it into some 700HP tuned monster, but whatever makes you happy.

Just want to point something out

>sandiego.craigslist.organization

I hope you bring this piece of shit to Socal meets and get laughed at when it explodes on the drive

>laughing at a fellow an/o/n's car breaking down

Found the nocarz bus rider

This is fucking Veeky Forums

Were not a hugbox, if you are disillusioned you should lurk more and notice old memes about people who crashed their cars and got pulled over.

I would never buy a car with 700 dollar coilovers.
Especially a riced rx8 with 100k lmao

>cheap rx-8

wise up kiddo
you already know