/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

if you zoom in the pic, you will notice the pic has "agdg" written on it, so it's indeed agdg related edition

> Next Demo Day 15 (4 DAYS LEFT)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Play Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Play Demo Day 14
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Steam Games: www.homph.com/steam
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
github.com/thetarkus/WebMCam

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6mKpGmdmvtk
youtube.com/watch?v=gbNYWRWRuwg
kickstarter.com/projects/2139542651/bokube
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Blueprints/UserGuide/EventDispatcher/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

FUCK YOU

always enginedev

FUCK YOU

is there a problem?

FUCK ME

FUCK US

>tfw just finally finished coding the settings for analog sticks
now I have to test them out and see which parts don't work

maybe later

Game development helps to stave off my lifelong depression and anxiety, I don't feel like a complete NEET waste and I'm proud of my progress, I finally feel like I'm part of the world and not just an observer.

Same. And Im not even a neet.

>I finally feel like I'm part of the world and not just an observer.
>tfw still feel like a visitor no matter how much progress

i want to see his chart.

youtube.com/watch?v=6mKpGmdmvtk

I didn't expect this to happen

TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND

Is the bat supposed to be an enemy? I thought it was an alternate form of the MC.

I like the look of your game

The player can become any enemy.

i've picked godot and reading through the docs, why does anybody complain about bad docs when it has a step by step tutorial and you can pretty much check every usable class in the engine itself?

yeah but it doesn't look like an enemy, the color scheme is the same as the player

it doesn't burp you and change your diaper so its shit

Because there's a whole class of enemies that are the same type of monster as the player

i'm trying to improve the general feel of all of my movement to be more fluid. i've been working on turning, decided to mess with some values for fun.

Because people don't read through the docs and expect tutorials in the class reference instead.

Yeah when you move away from the more commonly used classes you may notice that a lot of them have nothing but the function names written in the docs.

But can he stand up consistently after falling?

When did this become a break dancing game?

it didn't. but you can break dance if you spam all the movement keys while rolling and kicking.

what are you talking about, user?
they should work first try, you don't ever need to test if something works, because it does works
That's how programming is, write once, test once.

So I finally have time to get back to developing my pet project, a game heavily inspired by the battlenetwork games.

If you had something to add/improve upon the original formula, what would you do?

i was going to do a canned get up sequence but i want to do it right. i'm working on a more procedural system for getting up.

So, *a-hem*, as it turns out, I'm an amazing dev and my games are really popular.

I think some apologies are in order.

Post them faggot

where is your game?

right here

youtube.com/watch?v=gbNYWRWRuwg
and to think I only made this game in school
Imagine how popular Mirklings will be

But it's okay, I won't leave you non-300000-view-lets-play devs and keep endowing you with my vast, vast knowledge

It hurts how they're bullying me in the comments how do I cope with that I never had to do that before I only have 20 twitter followers dammit I shouldn't have to suffer like that

we ain't apologizing for shit especially considering you don't actually have a game
now get out of my thread before i kick you in whatever you might have instead of nuts

Nice, I almost bought that one but I decided $1 was too much.

More instantly accessible and infinitely usable command moves like the met shield from BN2 hubstyle, ideally either tied to styles or customizable in their own right.

I'm not watching that because I don't care.

rate

Post your twitter in reply to the most popular comments and tell people to come talk shit to you there.

And I'm not watching it because I can't take the possibility of people making fun of me

We're in the same boat here

Okay I changed my mind, I care. Definitely do this.

Can a female dev make an appealing VN?

The Bokube Kickstarter will succeed, and here is why

1: It's a better game than many which are funded at that price. It is a puzzle game with custom assets and it works.

2: A demo is available to prove it works. This puts it above most kickstarter games.

3: It is super casual and norm norms have money.

4: agdg shitters are always wrong about kickstarters and said at the beginning it wouldn't be funded, so you can guarantee it will

5: Kickstarters have failsafes and only the kind of baffoon who thinks professional wrestling is real would believe the negative hype and fake drama about whether it would fail

WHERE IS ROBOT SAMURAI

>300k views
wew, that's pretty awesome
>tfw my game will never get roasted by youtube commenters

I can just imagine the space invader giving a fateful monologue before commencing the final attack on Earth's brave defender.

thrilling and dramatic/10

>appealing VN

Yeah

If she makes it about herself and uses pictures of herself in the game. Nudes, obviously.

a girl cant write about anything interesting. what's she going to make the story about, doing her makeup?

From last thread:

What would it be multiplied by? 0.x?
Would subtract work with both signed and unsigned values?

looks bretty good.

Subtraction won't work with negative values.
Multiplication will.
This is 5th grade arithmetic.

Hi, I'm just getting into game dev and this is my first project. It's a top down shooter, obv. I'm making it in Construct 2 because that seems like a pretty easy place for a novice to start.

This is my first ever progress post so I'm not sure what to say other than "I'm here and not a nodev anymore". This is fun so far! Although I think as soon as I start creating enemies the fun is going to stop immediately.

Why does opening structs in Unreal cause the editor to crash?

That's what I thought as well.
I was wondering why it was suggested.

Good luck!
Good to see some yesdevs here for once

>spatial

oh hey another fpdev

????

Hello, friend.

Thank you, it's not too hard yet but then again I haven't made anything really complex so we'll see.

Good luck!

>21 tumblr followers
>13 twitter followers

That's not a lot, user.

Why didn't you follow me back? :(

I'm a nobody.

post tumblr twitter

the moon thing in the background looks kinda weird. like its too obviously just a 3d model positioned behind the other level geometry. you should maybe position farther away or think about using some filters at some point in the future. I know you probably gonna change it but its just something i noticed

Enemies are one of those things that are easier to do than they seem.

Even if you make really basic AI, you'll find it works just fine in practice. Of course like with most things the more effort you put in the better it gets, but it doesn't take much work to get something simple and fun.

So yeah don't worry, just do it.

I hope that's the case, yeah. I was thinking of doing it sort of like Hotline Miami where enemies have a couple of different states when they're not active (patrolling, investigating noise etc), but only one or two when they are (moving around, closing in on the player, standing still and firing etc).

The pathfinding is what I'm worried about, that seems like it's gonna suck no matter what I do.

Monolith dev your game is hard But it's really fun

Unironically, would an artist like to collab on my Unreal 4 space pirate game?

I literally just need 2D character portraits for dialogue cards. Like 5 or so for a few characters. I don't even care if they're shit, better than my MS paint.

inb4 memes. Good luck on my project.

post games

with this, i rewrote the entire colision system 3 times now

but now i finaly got what i was looking for, you have "control" to were the asteroid will go.

>can't call a custom event in Unreal without an instance reference
So are these just functions for retards or what

what are some cool mechanics involving lighting systems?

>Can't call a non-static function without a reference to the object that contains the function
Well, yes. This is how you program user

No they're pretty different

i was in between models when i recorded it.

Dark Aether

shit progress
first mechanics edition
+ camera switch
+ bouncy bodies

that's not what an event is though

threadly reminder to back bokube

kickstarter.com/projects/2139542651/bokube

thanks bokube

with best regards
bokube

no

how the fuck do people write structured and clean lua?
coming from a strictly typed compiled language, the freedom overwhelms me.

tables

lowpoly was a mistake

I'm really not all that familiar with events, but the way I saw them explained in a Unity tutorial a while back is that you put functions in a box (the event), and then you call that box and it calls all the functions for you.
In this particular case it doesn't much matter because I was just trying to reduce the number of nodes in my graph by replacing a function call with an event, but if I wanted to say, call an event on every instance of an actor, I can't do that without iterating over an array of every instance, and at that point I may as well just use a function to avoid clutter in the main graph.

How so?

chairs

Wow, that's not going to make it(unless bokube fills the gap himself). And the guy who pledged $1,000 is either bokube himself or someone who is going to refund on the last day.
Life is too cruel for bokubedev.

but everything's tables and there's never any guarantee about them unless you litter your code with if table[key] thens.

You don't, Lua sucks.

Probably the only good dynamic language is Scheme

I get around this by using another language instead.

>you put functions in a box (the event), and then you call that box and it calls all the functions for you
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Blueprints/UserGuide/EventDispatcher/
You bind events to an event dispatcher, and call the event dispatcher which proceeds to activate all those bound events.