Question for Veeky Forums from a noob

Question for Veeky Forums from a noob.

How come no normal budget car manufacturer has considered producing regular cars that just have the cool appearance of a "supercar"

For example, is it possible from an engineering standpoint to just put in a regular engine into this car and sell it for $50.000 instead of 3 million? Can't it look similar and just have the performance of a regular car, the top speed is practically irrelevant since you can't utilize the top speed of even a normal car in everyday use around town.

What am i missing here? Why doesn't some Chinese company start selling cheaper "fake" supercars? I would buy that shit, and i am sure a lot of other guys would too.

Then everyone would know those cars are fake supercars, so you're not impressing anyone. If that's the case, what the fuck is the point?

Seriously, I only see the interior of my car when I drive it, as long as the exterior isn't somehow retarded then who cares?

From the engineering point you can make everything feasible as long as you have enough money, see concept cars or bodykits.
And no, you wouldn't buy a 160hp corolla in a bodykit over something with 300+hp and performance parts

>Then everyone would know those cars are fake supercars, so you're not impressing anyone

Most people have no clue about the engine of a mclaren, lambo, ferrari, bugatti etc, they just think it looks cool.

I guarantee you that if you put a normal engine into this car most people would be just as impressed despite the fact that it doesn't have the performance of a supercar(which you can't make use of unless you are on a race track anyway).

>

Most of the time with these supercars, form is fitting function. They are given this wild looking styling to improve aerodynamics, not to look cool.

>And no, you wouldn't buy a 160hp corolla in a bodykit over something with 300+hp and performance parts

You wouldn't if you are a so rich that money is not a consideration. But most people don't have 3 million dollars to spend on a car so wouldn't a corolla with the same look be the next best thing for the people who want the same appearance but aren't bill gates?

Most people wouldn't know this Vaydor is actually an infinity G35 . Just by the way it looks a normie would think it's an exotic $150,000+ car when in reality it's just a Nissan with a body kit

Depends on the intention of the buyer. If they want a car to show off then they wouldn't buy a car that's advertised for the price of a good equipped 3-series, they would get the 3-series and badgewhore. If they want something special/ unique looking that might buy it, or they get a bodykit, an exotic used car or a classic.

Thank you, this is exactly what i am talking about.

So how come no car manufacturer wants to produce cars like this? It would sell like crazy, there are a lot of people who want cool looking cars but aren't millionaires.

It wouldn't though. People don't spend money on looks unless they HAVE money to spend and those people can just buy actual super cars.

>It would sell like crazy
No it wouldn't, because intricate body designs cost money, meaning a 20k corolla for example would instead cost 30k. At which point they'd buy other vehicles that offer more luxury and performance for that price point. There is a reason corollas, civics, etc. sell so well, and it isn't because of the look. Mustangs and camaros in their v6 packages are okay, but you're paying for the look, not pure performance, and certainly not luxury.

See where I'm going here?

Besides, if they sold too well every normie would be able to spot a fraud from a mile away.

You sound like an underage bus rider, post your wheels and license (with everything but birthday blacked out). Seriously, you sound like a 15 year old that doesn't grasp basic concepts.

If manufacturers were going to make tons of money doing something, you can be damn sure they'd be doing it already.

Are you telling me that a 30k corolla that looks like this wouldn't sell just as well or better than a regular looking corolla that costs 20k?

Yes. Yes I am. Corollas are the best selling car while looking plain as fuck because of their reliability and low price point. Take away the price point without adding performance (Honda Civic Type R, Camry V6, more powerful engine and better responding transmission in general) adding luxury (lexus, higher trim levels, etc.) or a combination of those and safety features and people won't buy it.

For 30k you think I'm going to buy an overdesigned (which is a common problem in cars already) corolla or a new top trim mazda or some sort of American muscle car that actually performs?

If you think it costs 10k USD to make the body like that, please lurk more

I am sure YOU would buy the best performing car you can for the money, but thats because you know and care about the workings of a car's engine.

I am pretty sure that your regular fast and furious watching dudebro would rather buy a car that looks like something Vin Diesel would drive.

Well this kit costs 11k according to their website. I was just giving an example, i know the materials used in a 2 million dollar car are expensive, but a similar look can obviously be achieved for less.

See the Chrysler 300. Its shit but looks cool. Every one white avoids it.

>How come no normal budget car manufacturer has considered producing regular cars that just have the cool appearance of a "supercar"

They absolutely can. I know that was the intention of the Pontiac Fiero was to build a car that'll compete with the Ferrari 308, but bureucracy got in the way and they ended up building a car that only competed with TVR, Truimph, and Fiat.

Never under-estimate tuner/hot-rodding culture. If you build a car that looks like an exotic, the aftermarket will supply the power.

Just look at the Subaru BRZ with its Ferrari-inspired lines (especially in the rear).

Looks like a regular car, not like
etc.

But thanks, am interested in examples of shit cars that look good, but i have not seen any, cars either look and cost normal, or cost 150k+ and have extreme performance and look.

I have not found a car that looks like a supercar but is actually shit and doesn't cost 5 times more than a normal car.

>How come no normal budget car manufacturer has considered producing regular cars that just have the cool appearance of a "supercar"
The Peugeot RCZ is just that.

>I'm poor but I want to show off

Just buy a mustang like every other army brat with a stipend and no substance

>I'm poor but I want to show off
came here to post his

Literally just buy a Toyobaru

My coworkers thought it was much faster and more expensive thant it was when they saw it, and they all praised it's sleek look.

This is exactly it, it boggles my mind that manufacturers ignore the untapped market of clueless people who want to show off without spending 200k on a car

This is going in the right direction but needs to be taken further

google the 2017 honda civic
its because supercars look like that for WUSH WUSH MAGIC WIND POWER WUSH WUSH and putting it on ur shitbox looks fucking retarded unless of course you're a mentally retarded soccer mum who flexs on her friends with her honda civic because it looks like an obese lambo decepticon lookin ass
i fucking hate the honda civic
and i fucking hate women

it would lose the magic quick tho
if everyone drives it they look dumb as fuck like ur a transformer cosplayer

(ignore the tripfaggotry its from /bant/ where everything is autistic)

Are you telling me that this looks like any of the cars i posted? Really?

yes
fat ass lambo

That market is smaller than you think. Not worth the development, production, and marketing costs. The vast majority of people don't want to show off to that extent. Plus a small dick stigma against a car like that would develop immediately among normies.

People spend money on 3 million dollar supercars to show off. That is a fact. If there was a brand that sold fake supercars it would be embarassing to own since it would be seen as tryhard

This. If you buy a car to show off the only metric that matters is price

I want one

If you're actually trying to shop for a modern car that meets these standards, get a used 2000s Mustang V6. Cheap as dirt, but a piece of shit.

In general automotive history terms, this was the idea behind the Delorean -- John Delorean wanted to make a "cool" car, made it (for the time) pretty, but it was utterly shit from a performance perspective.

the problem is cars in general are too expensive, and people just don't make enough money on average to buy a new car on a whim. Which is why everyone and their mother leases. And leasing wannabe sportscars just wouldnt really work out so well.

A Pontiac Fiero was 8k when new. The average salary was 16k in '84. These days, an average car is 40/50k and up, and the average salary is about 43k, and there's way less of the kind of job that pays it.

tl;dr, the reason we dont have butget supercar looks is because nobody would be able to buy them, and those aren't the kind of cars that you can make work for leasing

This looks amazing, and it would be relatively cheap to buy a used g35 and assemble this.

So why in fuck doesn't a company like Nissan just cut out the middle man and manufacture cars that look like this and don't cost 150k?
Do some bodykit making guys whos business is called vaydor really have access to more resources and talent than an actual car manufacturer?

The 370Z nismo is sexy enough already and has fair performance.
You would look like a tryhard child driving around a supercar-styled shitbox.
I already cringe whenever I see a last gen Celica.
They even advertised it as "looking fast" and boi where is it now?

because a mod is easier to do than actually developing the car like this.

there's rnd and manufacturing costs to cover, and all that extra rnd cost is added to the final cost of the car.

not to mention they have to consider how many people would buy it. Anf the reality is probably not that many people, because nobody can afford it

There are alot of reasons why this hasn't been done.

First is the shape itself. All road vehicles have to meet safety standards. Supercars use exotic materials and fancy tech to meet these requirements, while economy cars mostly rely on their geometry over material strength. Then there are the demands of an economy car to be practical, meaning that it must have storage capacity and fuel efficiency. Once again these are hard to meet with a supercar shape without supercar materials, you would probably have even less space inside than a real supercar due to extra supports needed.

The second factor is prestige. Supercars are more than selling looks, they sell an idea of being better than those around. They are marketed as exclusives so you must be better to even get one. They have high performance, so you are faster, and therefore better than others. Without these ideas, it is not supercar, and people will know. The Corvette looks good now, has supercar performance, but will never be a supercar, as the Corvette is not exclusive. With this economy super, you won't have the prestige of a fast car or an exclusive, and people will learn that very quickly.

Last is product lines. Making a fake super will hurt sport car sales, as some (perhaps a majority) of people buy sports cars for the image. Simply making a sporty vehicle in the lineup like the toyobaru or mustang allows you to sell to people that want the image of performance, and to those that actually want a driving experience.

Too expensive? You can build a Vaydor for about 20k

>Make great looking car for cheap
>Everybody buys them
>See them every day
>Design no longer feels special because everybody has them

When Manufacturers bring Halo cars to auto shows, they don't line five of them up next to each other, half of making a good design is making it feel unique, hell, even Ferrari's and Lamborghinis begin to lose their luster after some rich boy brings his to every car meetup.

Auto manufacturers know this damn well, I remember reading how for the Need for Speed movie, they made a bunch of replicas for Koenigseggs, McLarens, and Lamborghinis for filming, and then had the replicas and tooling to make them destroyed. Manufacturers know how important exclusivity is in maintaining uniqueness in design.

Saw one of these in person a week ago and fuck me it's gorgeous. Too bad it's a Peugeot.