CR-V vs. RAV4L (both 1st gen)

strawpoll.me/14220613

i want a new daily that's
>an suv
>4wd/awd
>manual
>can get all the way through holy jim trail...even if i have to buy different tires
>fuel efficient (~25mpg or higher)
>unquestionably reliable
>under $4k

not too fond of the Tracker/Sidekick so i have narrowed it down to 2 contestants.....the RAV4L and the CR-V

vote on the strawpoll and, if you'd like, state your reasoning behind your choice in a reply

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V72u23mplTE
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1986-nissan-4x4-5-speed/6357929470.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/1989-isuzu-trooper/6356913862.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/rare-rare-rae-ram-50-power/6350253971.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1997-nissan-pickup/6326716416.html
youtu.be/am_wKHR9eBk
youtu.be/sQqQBDxp4Ms
youtu.be/WTksUmMN9TI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cant go wrong either way, but i like honda more

cr-v for the table

3 and 3.......bump I guess

The RAV4 was topping reliability charts for years, but I do prefer the look of the Honda more.
Get whatever you can find in better condition, both are fine choices.

This, get a 2nd Gen crv and go on hectic picnics

The Rav4, hondas are pieces of shit.

I drove a 1st gen crv as my first car, it was bulletproof and gave me lots of room for moving things (i could put my full drum kit in the back and still have plenty of room). i've never seen one that was manual before, didn't even know they made them. I prefer the crv though because its better looking and smaller without compromising too much in space.

plus sell the k24 to some kid once you're done with it and watch them do hectic skids around with it a few weeks later

was on a farm once working and saw a clean CRV in the drive way and all the owner's other cars/truck were manual and boom even the CRV was a 5 speed. So they're out there, worst case you could drop some other honda trans in there p cheap

have to be retarded to pick honda.
youtube.com/watch?v=V72u23mplTE
I daily gen2 rav4 for winter. While it is very dull holy fuck it's something else on ice.

You are looking at the two cars that started the whole CuckUV trend.

Back in the day those were women's cars but the current vehicles are so frigging bad that these are actually starting to look "capable"

it's the same demographic that saved Porsche from dying out in the 90s

either Veeky Forums is evenly divided on this or someone is constantly changing their ip on tor to even the poll out

If you want to go trailing, don't fuck around with the glorified Corolla and Civic. Go with the Sidekick/Tracker

neither.

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1986-nissan-4x4-5-speed/6357929470.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/d/1989-isuzu-trooper/6356913862.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/rare-rare-rae-ram-50-power/6350253971.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1997-nissan-pickup/6326716416.html

just took a 98 and 01 CR-V out for a test drive at some stealership although they were both slushboxed

the 98 was kind of a junker
>stereo mounted via gorilla tape
>climate fan made noise
>paint chipped af on license plate light housing
>145k miles and they wanted $4700 for it
>only advantage over the 01 was that the transmission I'm not going to even get has a D3 option

the 01 was clean af tho

coming from an LS400 I originally bought for $300 that has worn suspension, misaligned wheels with no power steering, and brake issues...I must say I really like the driving dynamics of the CR-V...but then again this was when Honda had handling by the balls before Mazda started making every car as fun as a miata as possible

the only RAV4 at a stealership (at least on Cars.com and Craigslist) is 100 miles the opposite direction from my place and I don't want to take a private seller away from shit he/she has to do for what might as well be just a joyride......I'll try to get behind the wheel of one soon as I can tho

Doesn't matter. You take either if those econoboxes trailing and they'll end up as flogged out shitboxes in no time.

go away samefag
youtu.be/am_wKHR9eBk
youtu.be/sQqQBDxp4Ms
youtu.be/WTksUmMN9TI
also if you are trying to disprove, I want screenshots of both your computer and your phone
I forgot to mention that I want obd2 as well.....also that d21 is out of my range

you can negotiate 500 off faggot.

>off road
>videos are nothing but driving on dirt roads

Unpaved doens't mean offroad nigger.

>implying that's not all holy jim is
I specifically said I wanted an suv

>samefag
How does that make my point any less valid?
>check out these le battlewagons!
A couple ten minute videos do absolutely nothing to document the accelerated wear and tear of a Camry/Accord powered Corolla/Civic driven outside their design parameters. The Sidekick you seem to be opposed to for some reason has suspension and drivetrain set up to deal with these kinds of conditions, not to mention proper drivetrain orientation.
>oh dis is saemfag
>proov to me ids not

i spent the last few months rebuilding a 1997 rav4 4x4. the engine bay can be tight and annoying towards the firewall. i once spent 30 minutes turning a bolt 1/16 turn. Other than that, I like how compact it is. You can fold the back seats down to make a bed, or fold them up if you need to haul shit. Handles and drives pretty good.

I had a 94 tracker too and that shit was archaic compared to the rav4 just 3 years ahead. You can swap a clutch in a few hours. To swap springs, jack it up and they'll fall out on the ground. the easiest car to work on ever. but you'll be at 4500 rpm on the interstate and it rides like shit and shakes a lot.

just because the design originates from compact sedans doesn't necessarily mean they're weak

saying you need some chunky inefficient body on frame solid axle behemoth just to make it through holy jim whenever you wish is like saying you need a $150 gaymen macro mouse just to play team fortress 2 paylooad

also
>rides like shit and shakes a lot
>4500 rpm on the interstate
gtfo with that gay shit

>no objectively superior RAD4

GET FUCKED NIGGER

80 SERIES AXLES WILL RULE THE WORLD

>is like saying you need a $150 gaymen macro mouse just to play team fortress 2 paylooad
I've never heard an anology more irrelevant. If you were implying there was a longevity advantage to the billion dollar mouse you'd have a point.

>rides like shit and shakes a lot
>4500 rpm on the interstate
>gtfo with that gay shit
Still a more compliant ride than a Rav4 with a bent tie rod toeing in at 20°

This tbqh
9.5" floater masterrace

neither. cr-v aka civic with 4WD or jacked up toyota celica (camry)

Hello OP

The original RAV4 has a better locker and marginally better off-road creds. Assuming you’ll take it “off road” for more than a rocky trail.

The CRV on the other hand, is the better all around vehicle. It is basically the Japanese Volvo 240 Wagon. Boxy, airy, robust, and well built for a four banger shitbox with economy car DNA.

The CRV has a multilink front and rear suspension that gives it Classic Honda handling and steering. The 00-01 model get 140 or 150hp I can’t remember. But it is pretty capable despite being a noisy motor. You’ll have to adjust valves and shit, but it’s just a b series and easy to awork on and mod. The AWD system only kicks in of the front wheels slip. This benefits fuel economy and wear and tear. When you do need it, the system works great btw.

As many here have pointed out, the first gen CRV are automotive cockroaches. Tons of them out there, and they have aged very well. Our 2001 model will hit 200k this winter. I use ours as a snow beater to keep the salt off of my Lexus, as a truck for dump runs, and also for car camping. Except for a head gasket that let loose at the worst possible time for us financially a few years ago, it’s had very minimal repairs and maint is very manageable. I put a new battery in after 8 years (must had been a record), and just this week ordered some snow tires from tire rack. Next month I’ll be replacing some aged seals and hoses that are very owner-friendly to replace.

Get the CRV

Watch YouTube vids of people doing fun things like vtec heads, turbos, or mild lifts. These things are fun as fuck to drive for being a cucklett photo-crossover. This IS the “old” Honda. The Honda that was made for Japanese people, and sold to Americans because it was already being made. Not pigfat, bloated, CVT bullshit. But the Honda that was fun to drive no matter what Powertrain you bought.