/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

meme edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rend
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xaf7ze5dgC1L4h7Y8flaG6meHZtqiuVj7dojwvQx1yc/edit#gid=1311675782
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i think i figured out my stone problem thanks user

i have a bunch of seeds laying around in my stockpiles, can i just make more barrels for them to be stored in?

Make bags, then they'll put seeds in the bags and the bags into barrels.

>carve a shitty spiky ball out of one log
>trade it for an entire caravan's worth of food
>throw it all together and roast it into a shitty caked mess of burnt horse milk biscuits
>buy out the rest of the entire caravan with it
Pretty ridiculous

As user said, you need to make bags, which can be tricky because getting cloth on your own involves a multiple step process of growing and refining pig tail plants. Usually what you want to do is buy cloth sheets from caravans, they sell them rather cheap, and leather even cheaper for some reason.
Word of advice: disable barrels in your seed stockpile. They cause job cancellation spam and are in general wasted barrels.

jesus christ my third migrant wave was like 18 of these fuckers. what do i do with all these guys

why are some of the bolts i made forbidden by default?

also i have bolts and quivers but its saying my ranger cant hunt because no ammunition?

I just bisected a kobold with one swing of my great axe. It didn't die straight away and one of my followers crushed its head stealing my epic kill.

Fuck you.

They may be bolts that you made but, are you sure they weren't used already? If they were used and you haven't set the order to claim used ammunition yet then they will become forbidden upon being used.

Hunting is pretty fucky since the crossbow nerf, what's happening there is that your hunter is emptying all 20 bolts in his quiver, realizing he has no more ammo, and giving up complete with a confusing error. There's really nothing that can be done, this will happen even with good quality bolts. Assigning him a hunting dog can help but the dog won't last very long.
Another problem here is that the animal can bleed out while the hunter is gone, and the hunter won't retrieve the corpse in that case. Press [o]-[r]-[o] to make your dorfs gather outside refuse, they will now go pick up the perfectly good elk corpse and haul it to the corpse stockpile, hopefully in range of a butchers shop (you may need to queue them to butcher manually)

ah that would be it i think.

i wonder why my rangers arent hunting though due to lack of ammunition?

If it was actually bisected then it wasn't still alive. There are a few kinds of damage that will kill a creature immediately 100% of the time, and that's one of them.

It flew in two seperate bits. What's that if not bisected?

Well if it might be the order thing then go ahead and [o] [F] to show the forbid orders and change the ammunition one to claim instead of forbid, which is on by default for some reason and it took me 2 years to figure that one out. Same problem, kept mass producing bolts but, my hunters kept wining for ammo.

Clipping your toenails separates you into two bits.

boom got it thanks user fuck i keep forgetting about that menu

>moody dude makes a platinum spiky ball with rough bloodstone and puppy bone
>dig out a small hole, hang it from the ceiling in the center
>fill it with beds and chairs and tell all the nobles the puppyblood spikeball room is their new bedroom, new dining room, new office, etc
>all the nobles are ecstatic about this and spend all their free time praising the deathball together in harmony
I feel like I just started a cult.

>placing artifact querns in the King's bedroom
Dorfs love the weirdest shit.

how do i get my dwarves to equip training swords for training?

will they just do it themselves after a time?

It's fine if they just use regular weapons. They won't kill each other.

i have two battle axes, but they arent equipping those either

Technically npcs can keep hitting stuff while it is flying through the air dead.

You can also do weird stuff like line up multiple hyperfast attacks > first one severs the target > the rest bat it around in midair.

Right, that's it Max, I can't stay silent any longer!
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rend

Rend means to tear into pieces, which is fine more or less if each attack with that weapon does sever something, but even then, it doesn't really fit the bill.

You had better be feeling intense shame right now.

I assure you it tears shit into pieces every time, don't try to grammarize a native grammarian son.

Bugs

Currently, as of v0.42.04, goblin ambushes do not happen due to it being removed from the raw. Sieges still do occur after your fortress exceeds the population of 80 though.

what.

You know what i want? Tick based progression in dialogs, so you could interrupt people halfway by killing them, for example. Shouldn't be too hard to code i think.

If I turn a bed into a bedroom will a dwarf automatically claim it without me assigning him to it?

Yes, it might take a bit but don't worry about it.

is this true? no more ambushes/?

Thanks, my fingers were getting tired.
Not sure what to say about that then, user. Military is pretty confusing. I'd recommend looking up a guide to using the ui.

Doesn't seem like it, my first fort lasted about 15 years, most of it with a pretty poor military and it didn't get a single goblin ambush.

well what the fuck. i enjoy for building, but i want to kill the fuck out of goblins as well

Reposting for the people who haven't seen it yet. It looks like most people (the 3 who replied to me last thread), are all for a new tournament, so I'll be opening the registrations soon and start accepting combatants once I'm all ready. As for the concerns from last time, I'll be prolonging the registration period to one week, and spreading the fights over several weeks in order to not clog up the general. In addition, I'm allowing humans the same amount of points as the rest of the standard races (elves/goblins/dwarves). I'm also considering buffing armour and armour user, as of right now they are more expensive to equip and use efficiently over just spamming mastery of one kind of weapon and dodging.

I'm also toying with the idea of having group battles, 2v2, 3v3 and the like. Gladiators could team up and fight together, against other gladiators, monsters, or just hordes of wild beats. As always, feedback is appreciated, and if you want to send me a direct message, my email is [email protected]
Here's the link to the google doc with more information: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xaf7ze5dgC1L4h7Y8flaG6meHZtqiuVj7dojwvQx1yc/edit#gid=1311675782

Currently, the schedule will probably go as follows:
>1st week for registration period and possible balancing
>2nd week for the first round of eliminations
>3rd week for the second round and semifinals
>4th week for the battle royale and finals

Is submitting multiple fighters allowed?

If you want to submit multiple fighters I'll keep them on the backburner, so that if we don't get a full roster of fighters from different managers they can participate. I'm hoping that this time though we won't have managers with multiple fighters.

Did someone do Dick-Ass Thief in a previous Tourney?

No, you're free to create whatever sort of gladiator you wish.

I just wanted to enter something that hadn't been entered before, that's all.

Any other 40d players in the thread? I'm gunna give it a go for the first time and looking for some tips. As far as I'm aware there were no cavern layers and it didn't have many z-lvls. Any other major features I should be aware of?

I'm pretty much assuming that all the modern DF comforts like Therapist and DFhack didn't exist for it. Will modern tilesets still port over to it fine? I'm thinking Myne or CLA or something maybe.

2nd cave layer has a rampway that goes all the way down to the 3rd but no adamantium

Keep digging? y/n

Don't really have need for magma or magma forges since my zone has assloads of lignite

can't you put dwarf names as columns and skills as rows in Dwarf Therapist?
hurting my neck over here

Nope

amazing really

>too casual for Therapist
o iam laffin

What do I do with all of this excess alcohol that I have filling up every room?

I would drink it all but I can't play Dwarf Fortress when I'm inebriated.

drink it

Can animals die from alcohol poisoning?
Also why the hell are my animals covered with booze.

Build a dwarven bathtub in your main entrance and the entrance to your caves

>try making an Aragorn-esque character named Strider
>get a Dwarf Axeman and Elf Bowman as companions
>3 days later a forest titan melts us to death
>mfw

I don't see how that would protect animals in the meeting hall from getting booze showers.
Guess I'll have to keep all my pets far away from those little drunkards.

What the flying fuck is going on.

Now my giant chipmunk is dead too and it isn't even covered in anything. Other animals however are fucking dripping with booze, even those that are kept far away from dwarfs and drinks.

After spending all day generating worlds, I finally got one with what I wanted, a volcano next to a taiga within reach of goblins.

I can't tell how I should place my embark to best have both the taiga and the volcano, though. I'm planning on having an above-ground fort in the Taiga, bringing magma from the volcano to play with. How bad would my framerate be affected if I increased the embark size?

Oops, forgot picture

ADVENTURERER SPOUSE CONVERSION WHEN

UNFFF

i got my first werebeast, killed it, he attacked joe fag the dwarf and now i cant find him

do they usually run off after they transform?

Here we go lads, the highest moodable skill is weaponsmithing. It's going to take a while, since my fps is absolute crap at the moment, so make your bets in the meantime.

Have any of the costs for skills and items changed since last time?

a bucket

By the way, some brave tree-hugger decided to leave fortress through my future power station in caverns.

Crossbow.

Alright, we have our first combatant!

I've heavily reduced the cost of armour user, and for now that's all I think I'll do to change things up. Armour itself can be useful, but the added expense of leveling up armour user has made it less effective than dodging. Now the total cost for max armour-user is 119.

If I want to start with a metalsmithing dwarf, what should I give them? Armorsmithing and weaponsmithing? Or should I split those up among two dwarves, or just have one of them?

Is it okay to re-use a set of skills and items from the last tourney?

>the feeling of sallying forth to defeat invasions hand to hand
Trapfags need to leave.

that's a lot of ghosts

>ghosts

There were more shambling up behind them too, over 60 in all. Squishy, gore-filled ghosts.

I mean sure, if you want. However, no re-using of previous combatants, they are all decidedly dead (except for the two survivors). You could make a new guy with the same stats and equipment as a previous gladiator as long as you fluff them as someone else, I just personally think trying something new each time might be more fun.

I also forgot to mention, each fighter can have their own little piece of lore or description, and a theme song if you so wish. Just link the theme song whenever you send me your character details, either over e-mail or by /dfg/

>ghosts

WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THEY ARE IF THEY AREN'T GHOSTS?

>ghosts

Werefutas

>ghosts

read the filename in the pic you triple goblin

>demons make spires exclusively near goblin civs
>demons help goblin armies by taming savage beings like cave dragons
>when demons are set to 0 in settings goblins literally can't exist
What do they mean by this?

Also wouldn't it be easier just to do all the fighting themselves?

they are zombies?

alright TourneyAnon, I present challenger number two

no, they're ghosts.

That's good. I experimented a bit in the arena, but I couldn't really find any setup that worked better than the one I used last time.

I assure you that my new combatant has more than enough new flavour to compensate for the re-used skill/item setup, though.

>tfw fuck around with the legends viewer just so I can create a proper backstory and symbol for my fort

Alright, added to the doc.

Good to hear, may your champion live up to your expectations.

no, they're skeletons.

I'll use this trip instead of emailing you. It'll be easier replying in the thread on the off chance Dick-Ass makes it through round 1

I sent an application your way, Tourneyanon.

Where are you drew? drew, it's time to come home.

Come home drew.

>Where are you drew?

Sent a submission to your email

is it possible to turn off blood rains on evil embarks? it just keeps raining 24/7 and looks like absolute shit.
neither evil rains/clouds nor weather turn that off.

>tfw still no idea where to dig for my fort
Should I make it under the brook?

guys how do I read the messages that keep popping up at the bottom. if I press "r" for reports it only shows combat related messages

Nope, just use manipulator instead of that stupid shit.

Press a, r is only for combat reports, and sometimes dwarves falling off ledges.

a for announcements.

"a" for announcements.

Personally, I'd prefer having some trees inside the walls for fruit. Mmmm, cider.