Are bmws really that much to maintain?

I have been doing alot of research on the matter and apparently most Bmws are really not that bad."low end" Bmws and Audis are far cheaper to maintain than low end Mercedes. Higher end Mercedes are cheaper than the lower end audi and bmws just because added quality. Anyone actually work on these things for a living? Everywhere I look I find conflicting evidence
consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

yourmechanic.com/article/the-most-and-least-expensive-cars-to-maintain-by-maddy-martin

BMW stacks up differently...far differently on both lists.

I have had three Z4's since 2011. Never had to fix a single thing. They were flawless.

Depends on how it was treated. There is no guarantee that nothing will be wrong if you buy a civic, there is no guarantee everything will go wrong with a bmw.

Source: Have owned 4 BMWs in my life, 2 E39s, E60 and E92. None of them ever shit the bed. Owned one honda and it was one fucking sensor after another.

Is it fun to lie like a fucking faggot?

Is it fun to be poor? Lol

>I have had three Z4's since 2011
Why

Sometimes. :)

3 z4's. 3 leases. 2011, 2014, 2016.

Ooooohhhh. Piece of candy :3

is the bmw your wifes? Well at least you make up for it with the vette. But convertible, and no z51 package, no thanks. On a side note, you seem to be in cali i will give you $50 for those picture in the rear of the garage.

No idea if OP is still here but I've worked almost exclusively on BMWs, Audi's and Mercedes.

Mercedes are absolutely reliable, until they're not. The way I'd describe problems is few and far between but when something goes wrong, it will cost you BIG. The parts cost of them is probably the worst of the German 3. So it's a matter of if you want something to be constantly reliable until one thing breaks after a long period of time.

Audi holds its reputation of just being a dolled up VW but with slightly different parts in places, which end up being more expensive. Their cooling systems are garbage and they're electrical nightmares. I honestly couldn't recommend a car brand that someone should avoid more than this.

BMW is a middle ground. They're not as reliable as Mercedes but will leave Audi in the dust. Part cost is inbetween too. As for things going wrong, smaller inexpensive things will happen and big things are rare. Most of the small things are easy if you know a little about cars.

For all 3, older is better but avoid Audi's from beyond the year 2000.

I wish it was a z51 but they had a 2016 that had everything else I wanted plus the mode selector and the adjustable exhaust from the z51. So I said good enough and jumped on it.

What it really all comes down to is if you use OEM parts or not. For every Bosch part available for my Mercedes there's at least 1-2 cheaper alternatives.

My BMW has been expensive... But I soon realized people where BMW taxing me hard. One part cost me $100 but the shop was charging me $1100 for a 20 min job I ended up doing myself.

The other guy is right. I think realistically $1000 every 15k miles past 50k is normal if you do small work yourself and find a trust worthy mechanic.

My BMW has actually been reliable when you consider its an 09 and all the problems I've had are the ones that everyone has and I should have been expecting.

> leasing cars
> calling other people poor

I already own 3 vehicles for 2 people. So why would I buy the z4? To own 4?

anything with an n52 is bulletproof

I own a 330xi, make sure it's the post facelift n52 so you don't get lifter tick like I've got.

Aye the N52 is an awesome engine. Never ever has problems and it sounds amazing in the 530/330 with the muffler deleted.

Aye you're right about that but honestly the tick should only last a couple seconds if you use very good oil and change it regularly. Thinking about switching to 0w40 because it seems to only happen when the oil is still cold.

Then why have you had three of them?

>not wanting 3 of the same car

>Car doesn't break during the lease period
>"Flawless"

The cars are designed to break after the warranty ends. 4-5 years in.

BMWs have objectively the highest cost of ownership of any brand. Over $5k more over 10 years compared to any other (non ultra luxury) brand.

My 08 535i has been good so far.
>Bought with 98,000 miles, 110k now
>Has needed front tires, new gas cap, and a piece of weatherstripping on top of the windshield
>Tires and gas cap was $75 parts and no labor, easy fixes
Right now it needs spark plugs due to light misfire on cold starts and above 3700ish rpm, and one sensor that disables cruise control, but that's not been an issue other than lol no cc, I'll probably run it with that for a long time as it's a pretty expensive fix to just have cruise control. Going to put her in for spark plugs soon, $350 job.

The basic maintenance and wear and tear is expensive, but it's never left me stranded, gets 28-32 mpg on the interstate, kickass factory stereo, and has been absolutely reliable over the 12,000 miles I've owned it. I would probably never let it go if it wasn't an automatic.

>$350 for spark plugs
wot

how?

He's taking it to the stealership I imagine. I did it myself for $55 with top notch plugs.

Amazed you haven't had issues with the fuel pump or turbo, the N54 seems to be a nightmare, maybe you just got lucky.

What's it like to loose to everything on the 'ring?

That's normal for good bmw spark plugs, you can probably get autozone knockoffs for less if you hvae to

In what universe do 6 bosch or ngk spark plugs cost $350?

After working with ISTA and DCS I've grown a deep seeded hatred of bmw

>its a lease faggot
You havent owned anything you fucking faggot

Lets see what you drive, tough guy

The only significant issue that comes to mind is the VANOS blowing and sub-frame tearing in the E46.

Jealous?

>its a lease faggot
>You havent owned anything you fucking faggot

Huh... that's odd. I lease 3 bmws and u assume I don't own anything? Must be nice to be that blissfully poor.

Mazda Cosmos. Be jelly big guy.

>He doesn't lease a new daily for the convenience features and own old cars for the weekend

except the m52tu/m54 is superior cuz dipstick

Some simple Google searching determined u to be a lying faggot lol

>picture has to be from my actual car
>this from the guy with three Z4s and no pictures at all

Well what do u want a picture of? My manual jeep? The h2 hummer? The leased 2016 z4? Or maybe my purchased 2016 corvette? U tell me, I'll take pics. Got nothing to hide over here lol.

ALL OF THEM WITH BREAD

Only have onion buns. Will be using these.

Again, nothing to hide here. ^.^

>onion buns
Great taste

>hummer
why would you buy the purest "muh tiny dick" machine?

They really are amazing.

Was in the military for awhile and it was really more of an impulse buy.

Noice.