Why are American performance cars manual?

>Viper was manual only
>Camaros w/1LE pack is manual only
>GT350/GT350R is manual only
>brands like Panoz and Hennessey are manual only
>new Mustang GT w/Perf Pack 2 is manual only
>Corvette ZR1 was manual only
>all Camaro/Mustang/Corvette/Challenger trims can be bought in manual
Don't Amerifats realize manuals are inferior to automatics for performance purposes? At least the Ford GT got it right

Because we drive our cars to have fun, not to chase autistic lap times.

Because driving a manual makes the driving experience more enjoyable.

because they cant make a decent sequential gearbox. hell, they have to source their autos from ZF. Chevy attempted to build their own in the corvette but it turned out to be shit.

it look more masculine and its probably the reason why bmw and vw still bother selling manuals with half decent engines.

>Veeky Forums assblasts murica for not being able to drive manual
>Pretty much every American sports/muscle/performance car has manual option, and upper line versions are manual only
>Commuters and econoboxes (what vast majority of people drive day to day) are auto for convenience

>Veeky Forums lauds yurop for everyone driving manual
>Only porsche (and bimmer) really makes sports/performance manuals, and only on the bottom/middle segments of their performance cars. Upper line are auto only
>Commuters and econoboxes (what vast majority of people drive day to day) are manual for inconvenience

When did you realize the Americans did something right for once

>Because we drive our cars to have fun, not to chase autistic lap times.
Gee wizz

we are dong it the right way, we have autos for comfy dailys and manuals for sports cars where a manual matters

Almost every car sold in America has a cheaper manual variant.

false

LOL yeah right

>Only porsche (and bimmer) really makes sports/performance manuals
Lotus and Aston do as well. Jag *might* start offering a manual with the V8 F-Type finally

paddles driving are the best

Long before OP made his faggot post

Because we want fun.

Yet the Viper is the one that smashed the production car Ring record.

Objectively false, please kys immediately

Give it another decade. Soon all manuals will be gone and you'll get automatic or nothing.

Neither can anyone else

Name one production vehicle with a (real) sequential gearbox besides the ariel atom

>"manuals are inferior to automatics for performance purposes"

Of course. No one's denying that. But manuals are awesome if you want some fun. Shitty in heavy traffic though.

>no one's denying that
Reality is. It's like saying FWD is better in a bizarro world where the only RWD cars made for the general public are landbarges. Regardless, when given absolute design freedom, the fastest race cars are...mid engined, rear wheel drive!

Autos aren't better. They're heavier, sap up more torque, and barely shift any faster than sequential dogboxes. The problem is the manuals they sell us are dogshit for performance and closer to truck transmissions than racecar transmissions.

car company: yes, here's a 7 speed auto with close gears and sequential shifting
car company: and your other option, a five speed synchromesh gearbox equipped with standard H pattern shifting, a long throw shifter, and distant gear ratios so you can rage in traffic more.

That's objectively not true. Truck transmissions are dogboxes. They just lack the racheting mechanism to make the shifter sequential.

Synchromesh is best for a street car because it's a lot smoother. Dogbox shifts are really not pleasant. They tend to be clunky. You don't have a synchro for downshift.

Are dogboxes possibly even faster than DCTs? Probably. Are they better for driving on the street? Probably not.

Manual: less maintenance, less purchasing cost, less chance of breaking, mature technology where most issues were resolved decades ago, doesn't drain power from your engine to work, weights exactly as it should.
All that if you agree to use your left foot once in every gear change.
It's not about sports car, it's about not being a wymin while driving.

t. never driven a car or a bike with dogbox.

Smooth doesn't begin to describe it. They're easier to shift smoothly than standards. At least when they're sequentials instead of H patterns.

I just wish they weren't $10,000 trackdaybro aftermarket shit for everything but bikes (standard equipment).

auto is for retards exept on sports car with paddles driving

It's about economics.

The average theoretical European has less disposable income, so they buy the cheapest car with a manual transmission. If a European can afford a good sports car, they can afford all the expensive bits and can buy high performance autos. Since driving manuals is the norm, the automatic is considered the exotic option.

The average theoretical American has more disposable income and can afford the automatic for daily driving. If an American can afford a sports car, it's usually a "weekend car" to drive for pleasure, and since driving automatics is the norm while the manual is considered the exotic option, they go for the manual.

stops munters from stealing your car...

>I just wish they weren't $10,000 trackdaybro aftermarket shit for everything but bikes (standard equipment).

I saw that last gen mr2s had sequential "manual" transmissions

>mfw theyre just a single dong shaped over glorified paddle shifter and have an automatic clutch and automatically downshift when slowing down
>mfw its literally just a sooper spoorty auto

guess ill just have to stick to my bike for sequential goodness

New automatic boxes are pretty fucking great t b h

The current mt82 is 80 pounds lighter than the 6r80, although manuals do get an iron diff housing as opposed to aluminum for weight dist. So usually stick is considerably lighter

These new paddle shift autos are getting better and better for sure. However, if you've raced anything with 300-400, even 700 hp/tq like my DD, you'd understand. The best I can explain is, when youre at the limit you just want to be LOCKED in a physical gear. Pushing a car to understeer and trying to transition onto throttle, just feels right with a manual. Hard to explain...autos are like hydraulic slushies. You dont know what youre gonna get with an auto mid-corner, like when the RPM are gonna decide to drop, or what the TQ converter is doing.

Also, I prefer stick because i can also transition into oversteer and smoothly correct. Perhaps Im just used to it.

Im not hating on auto, but not understanding manuals is no reason to dog them. Yes, an auto will 60 ft better. Perfect, near instant shifts, and the same everytime. But one very real downside is reliability. Id rather do a clutch at 130k miles than a auto rebuild. Not to mention, you drive a manual right and you can trust it...autos run off of vacuum and hydraulic pressure.

Nobody in their right mind would think one could outlast a t56 or tr6060. Stock t56 in my car is well over 100k. Abused frequently at 600 WTQ. The ford automatic at the time was a 4r70w. No way in hell could it have held up. Nor could a gm 4l60e or whatever abomination dodge had at the time.

No, they're boring. I'd rather have an auto.

Because american cars are made for men, not eurabians

manual wins baby