Do police radar detectors work or are they a meme...

Do police radar detectors work or are they a meme? Don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on one if it's bullshit that won't work

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wJ5owcgRndw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Snake oil.

Grow up and obey the laws

Beats me. I just figured out where their trigger points are for literally about a thousand miles in every direction.

>virgin fools drive like OMG HOLY SHIT ARE DEY GONNA GOT ME STOMP BRAKES HOLY SHIT
>I continue my chad cruise, never change speed even with cop in sight

Post your camry you cuck. I want a good laugh

Just speed up and gtfo.

They're worthwhile if you do a lot of interstate driving over the speed limit. In town they'll pick up signatures from automatic doors and stuff. Waze can be a good alternative for spotting interstate cops. People usually report the campers on there.

the problem with that is i don't want to have waze on everytime and everywhere i'm driving
get out

I've never had my radar do that.

yes they work, dont get a cheap piece of shit one.
and dont buy the retardedly expensive ones unless you don't care about money.
Beltronics makes some damn good ones.

I will tell you that you shouldn't reply on them to save your ass 100% but it's nice to at least have a heads up, so you can check your speed.

Theyre becoming obselete because they can pick up false positives like blind spot monitoring and cruise control systems. Look man, the cheapest radar detector is just a bit of intuition. You gotta have a sense of where cops are and where cops aren't. Know the types of roads where cops will run radar. On the highway, scan the medians and shoulders for anything resembling a vic, charger, or explorer. In fact, anything in the median that isn't a big orange construction vehicle is a cop. Let people go faster than you a quarter mile forward and check their brake lights. It's easy to speed once you get that 6th sense as to where and when.

Totally a meme. Just learn where to look for troopers on the interstate and coast down to speed accordingly, cops can tell if you got a radar just by seeing you braking hard on the interstate randomly from getting pinged. And if they know you got one, its a dead giveaway that you are a speeder.
If you just play off your speeding they most likely will ignore you, given you slowed down gradually beforehand.

>In town they'll pick up signatures from automatic doors and stuff
what the absolute fuck is an automatic door and stuff
>In fact, anything in the median that isn't a big orange construction vehicle is a cop.
holy lel the absolute state of kids these days

>the absolute state of kids these days
What did he mean by this?

Too many psycho drugs or something, I imagine.

Gas station/super market doors use K-band radar

If they catch you speeding you're getting a ticket, doesn't matter how hard you brake or how much you "play it off." You may not get a speeding ticket but you are getting one at that point.

Wow, good thing the interstates are lined with K-band shitty gas station doors.

Where do I sign up for Mothers Against Drunk Driving?

I want to be an angry mother, too.

??? the post you replied to specifically mentioned false signatures from automatic doors in town and not on the interstate. Plus the interstate is literally lined with gas stations with automatic doors. They're usually just blocked enough by the tree line to not cause false positives.

Pick a guy on the highway going faster than you want to, follow him. Keep an eye out in your rearview, and check the guy in front.

Chances are the guy in the front will get nailed before you do, and as long as you're making sure cops aren't behind you then you're fine.

Not foolproof, but works well. If nobody is going faster than the speed you want, that sucks. Follow the fastest guy.

Interstates are what they call "limited access" highways, meaning they are specifically not lined with gas stations and automatic doors.

I don't know what you're ripping around town, but I think you've been brain damaged as a youth.

I saw someone like that. He accelerated like crazy after the camera, then the lurking mobile unit pulled him over.

In colloquial terms, we call that guy the "rabbit."

It's always funny watching him panic and later pulled over while cruising along same as ever because he has some paranoid schizophrenic disease or whtever.

I have some favorites, but one of mine was tooling along in the middle of the fucking night, tired of this shit
>decide to glance in the mirror
>some shit running up in the left lane like it's the end of the world
>whoah that's not for me rite?
>no sirens
>blasts past at probably 120 or something
>30 seconds later see gumball lights
>he pulled over the obvious asshat who passed me half a mile back

keked to myself

>be me
>always sped 10+ over the limit on all roads
>never pulled over or ticketed
If you are aware of your surroundings nothing will happen, maybe you just can't see for shit and ended up with multiple tickets from you doing last minute "oh shit a cop"
breaking.

They apparently work, but the police also apparently have radar detector detectors.

>Driving home at like midnight
>Some bitch in an Audi rips around me on a double solid going like 40 km/h over, with oncoming traffic uncomfortably close
>First oncoming car suddenly rips a u-turn and flashers come on
Such a satisfying feeling

that means jack shit considering they are legal to own, unless you live in cuckginia or some other police shit

>radar detector detectors
Aren't commercial radar detectors just passive though? How would they be detected?

They detect police radar, but the police stopped using radar over a decade ago in the developed world.

Legal to own, but perverting the course of justice is a national problem for them.

>be me driving down 3 lane highway late at night on a weekend
>I know there are rich people drunk and high all the time here on the weekends
>folks are going above the regular trigger points despite visible cop cars waiting in the shadows
>shitty car of obviously incapacitated girls
>speed up
>slow down
>swerve
>speed up
>slow down
As for me I think I'll stay in the right lane for now. It's late at night and pretty open

>dudebro going like 90 slips through, straight as an arrow
>ok...
>girls reappear
>girls get pulled over
That night, I thought better of the local cops.

I've been driving for 18 years and have never once had a speeding ticket, and I drive like a jackass a lot.

Like other Anons said, just don't be the fastest guy on the road and you'll be fine. Let someone else be the rabbit.

And don't look SICK MODDED HELLAFLUSH STANCE IT JDM BRO. Keep mods subtle.

Also, if at all possible drive a Mustang. Cops fucking love Mustangs just as passionately as they hate Bimmers, Benzes, and Porsches.

Autism

Depends on lots of factors including but not limited to the detector, type of waves, type of speed measurement equipment being used, and range.
For example, my brother got me a cheap 40 dollar radar detector that picks up the most basic levels of radio waves. The only times it usually detects cops is in the town where my university is, and for that purpose it works great. The cops always leave their radars on, so my detector alerts me of their approach long before I see the cop. It's very nice.
However, it is only a 40 dollar piece of equipment at the end of the day, and the cops in my college town are probably using old radar equipment. If I'm going against something like Massachusetts Highway Patrol, the detector wont pick up shit either because they're using laser measurement equipment or some other tech I can't pick up.

So to answer your question, I would say they're not just a meme, but they're not bulletproof either.
If you want to speed, do it somewhere or sometime it will be safe and where there's no cops.

You literally can't read

mine works well for the most part, at least on the ny state troopers. ka band warnings well ahead of time, and gps so it tracks red light cameras and speed traps as well. gps is also useful because it can learn where the stationary targets are (i.e. automatic doors and such) and lock them out as you drive by.

now if only acura/honda stopped using k band so my detector wont go off when im withing 300 feet of one.

>justice

t. bootlicker

It's the official title of the statute.

Retard

next time you are fuckin' around
I'll be there.

>trace buster buster buster buster
erry time

>just don't be the fastest guy on the road and you'll be fine
but sometimes I like to gun it and get up to 120ish.

I've been wondering which one to buy, and I feel like you do need them these days with the amount of undercover cops in f150s and durangos

Back to /pol/

Apparently these don't pick up when the cop blasts your license plate with LIDAR

just something to consider

Last time I got pulled over was over ten years ago and the cop showed me his laser gun. Pretty sure that if your detector gets hit by the laser bean, it's too late

>Massachusetts Highway Patrol
The Staties are fucking relentless here. They usually have 3-layer traps: on obvious cop on the side of the highway using radar to spook the speeders, followed by a less obvious one about 1.5-2 miles later with either radar or lidar, then a totally hidden one 3 miles after that, using lidar-only. They ALWAYS catch the assholes that speed up after the second cop.

LIDAR doesn't get images you goof. It's just a distance measuring/speed calculation system.

I guess it's worth asking; why do most American highway speed limits seem so low, and why do people defend them even if they may not follow them to a T themselves? It has always seemed screwed up that most people think it's safer to rubberneck, use the phone, eat, etc. while driving, but the moment anyone sits at 90-100 mph on an empty interstate, that person is an idiot who should swallow their license before they kill children.

Is there a good reason for this that I'm missing, because those speeds don't seem fast at all.

Of course they work. Radar waves scatter all over the place and you will often pick up cops running radar in constant-on mode before they're even within line of sight. A lot of times you pick up instant-on too if there's enough traffic around that the cop can clock before you get to him and he's not being very selective. Radar detectors often come with laser diodes for laser detection but it's not really useful. Laser is always line of sight and by the time your detector alerts they have your speed, plus the beam is so small that it doesn't alert reliably anyway so I'll grant you that particular feature is rather useless. If you really need laser protection in your state get laser jammers.

Radar detectors are constantly becoming more sensitive and better at what they do. Right now there are some issues with K-band falsing due to blind spot monitoring systems (Ka-band which is heavily used by police is relatively clear though there is one make of car that falses on 33.4GHz). Fortunately BSM systems are moving to S-band (77GHz) which is well clear of the frequency range police radar is using so this falsing should decrease with time.

Holdovers from when cars were much slower and had way worse brakes. Rather than update them, it's just accepted that everybody goes 5 over minimum, and you won't be ticketed for 10 over usually if it's flow of traffic. Just slow down to acknowledge the cop and carry on. They've got bigger fish to fry.

Absolutely no reading comprehension at all. Sad!

shut up nerd

I think speed limits are more of a 'you must travel at least this fast' moreso than a 'you can only travel this fast. Can't be having assholes doing 45 down our massive interstates

>Do police radar detectors work or are they a gimmick?
Happy to help.

Honestly not even /pol/

>back to bingo night

>MY children are the most special thing in the world!
>NO MOTHER should have to lose her child!
>IF IT SAVES ONE CHILD'S LIFE no matter how much it ruins WE HAVE TO DO IT!

never mind that most kids grow up to be pieces of shit just like their mothers

The problem comes when police tries desperately to catch you like in this video:

Stupid 60 km/h limit - Hidden undermark cop seen on the right at 0:17

youtube.com/watch?v=wJ5owcgRndw

This would catch my grandma, and she drives like Ned Flanders

This, cops are pretty nationalistic and will fuck with imports all day because it usually says "I'm an asshole European wannabe who hates cops"

The flipside is that muscle cars say "I spent all my money on the car and I won't pay the ticket anyway"

Lmao

>Aren't commercial radar detectors just passive though?

No. Local oscillator and mixer. The detector detectors pick up LO leakage.

Ive got a Valentine1, had it for about 12 years. Works great, thinking about sending it in for an upgrade. It does work.

I have a newer one and the city mode is great. I'm not sure if the old ones have it but you can hold the button in to change modes so it filters out gas station doors and blindspot monitoring systems. Hasn't failed me yet. Would recommend.

we need some radar detector detector detectors

Some dickhead in a corolla cut me off the other day, so I floored it by him, it was a fucking undercover lol guy pulled me over told me to slow down. Florida is sketchy

>never change speed even with cop in sight
dumbass, that means you were never speeding fast enough to warrant getting pulled over. these fine pieces of tech are made for real drivers drivers aka guys who can operate in triple figures with ease

Herpty derpty doo, that's my point. I can go faster; I just don't care bother with cop avoidance for bulk driving.

Besides usually it's just some asshat going a whopping 10MPH faster than I am that starts slamming on the brakes when his detector goes off, so I just pay attention to that if I'm interested in going above the trigger points.

Most freeway speed limits were raised significantly after the national speed limit was repealed and deaths went up drastically as a result. Inner city expressways were typically designed to be extremely curvy and tight with very short slip roads to the right and left that were never meant for traffic en masse to be driven on faster than 55mph safely or comfortably. Conversely on many really remote highways out in bumfuck nowhere they're being raised further as time goes on because there's so little traffic and the police waste a lot of money and time doing hard enforcement to catch speeders. I see a Montanabahn coming back on a lot of the latter roads in the future where the limits are casually being raised to 80-85mph in the present day even though it often saves mere minutes or less on travel time on an already borderline deserted road.

Being able to pull 85 or 90 out there where you have to go long distances to get basically anywhere is nice tho.

Heck even here in PA where they've been adding more 70 zones after determining that it doesn't result in more accidents, that can add up to a nice little bit of saved time if you're driving for hours.

please go back to /v/

You are a massive cock sucking nigger loving cunt

Pathetic whore

Do everyone a favor and drink bleach. Hang yourself afterwards.

If you get a good one, yes.
I know a guy who has a Corvette, a bit older model, pry 5 or 10 years old. We took it up into the mountains to let it loose on the lesser used roads and every time a cop was nearby his police sensor would go off. It would go off, than 30 or so seconds later, cop. So yeah, they work if you do your research and get a good one.

the mustang bit is good advice... i have a friend who regularly drives 20mph over the speed limit and he's not once gotten pulled over. bullshit.

>obey the laws
So if you have a fast car and a stretch of wide open road with no cars in either direction you're gonna just keep driving the limit like a gutless bitch?
Yeah, you're probably an awful fucking faggot to be around.

That's a very aggressive response to an innocuous comment.
Are you ok, user? How's your day going?

Itt
>i spent 40 dollars on a radar detector once
>they all suck

Cops do kind of hate Porsches

I get pulled over at least once a month, but its usually for something bullshit like 3 over, or I passed a guy who was going ten under and I hit like 10 over while doing it.

Thankfully I've gotten out of every single ticket, knock on wood.

I definitely think the CDL A helps a lot, and the fact that I'm honest. Yes, I was speeding a bit. Yes, I was passing a dude who had been going habitually slow the past five miles and may have gotten on it a bit much while doing so. Just trying to get home from work, and it's already an hour drive without these faggots making it longer.

On a scale of 1-10 how femanine are you? They may have thought you were a girl since they pulled over a boxter and were so submissive.

A lot of the freeways were developed with the initial 65 mph in mind, not 55.

They dropped the speed limits not due to safety, but due to the oil crises. Just never bothered to raise them back up in a lot of places.

The city is only unsafe at higher speeds because

A) merge lanes for semi trucks are hilariously too small

B) People refuse to learn how to drive properly

now you're just asking for radar detector detector detector detectors

1 being lowest, probably a 10. There's no way you'd mistake me for a grill at any point.

And you can be honest without being submissive. It's called social skills, user. If you weren't such an autistic faggot, you may have had the chance to develop them instead of coming on to an auto board and raging because someone paid more for their car than you did for 3 of your shitboxes.

Whoa guy way to project.

It's ok though I know the drive too and from the salon you work at is pretty frustrating. So ill forgive your assumptions.