Memed hard by Veeky Forums

>make a thread three years ago asking for a cheap car that is easy to maintain and low fuel consumption
>bought a 1999 Honda Civic Sedan as suggested by Veeky Forums
>a year gone by
>mileage is roughly 18mpg on city
>spent around $2000+ on repairs not counting paint jobs and body repairs
>rust slowly developing on some parts
>not anymore insured because lol too old
>should have bought a new car instead

So you got me Veeky Forums. I wasted my money on this piece of gas guzzling junk. I should have bought a new car instead.

Other urls found in this thread:

repairpal.com/estimator/honda/accord/brake-pad-replacement-cost
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You need to buy a good $3000 Civic, not a bad one

>buy bad example of car like regard

Wow y is car so bad

Wew lad

>You need to buy a good $3000 Civic, not a bad one

>implying I didn't

Also fuel consumption of a used car is much higher

The meme always balances out, always.
>buy $600 civic
>spend $1400 fixing it
>$2000
>buy tires
>$2400
>$140 in bodywork
>$2540
>$60 in seals
>$2600
>need steering rack still
>$2800
>need new trunk
>guess what the junkyard guy wants for it
>$200
It's not a meme, it's a law of nature.

>fuel efficient

>body repair and paintjob on 1999 Civic.
>18mpg city

Do 53 mpg averaged over one tank or 790 km in a same year Civic but the hatch. -regularly.

If you knew how to drive it, it would still be better than a new car that you cant afford.

you can drive it hard because its cheap, unlike a new expensive car

$1400 fixing it

It's a fucking civic. Everything is cheap as chips. I did the entire front suspension, with all new arms, axles bearings, bushes etc. for under $400

You could swap a b16 in it for that kind of money. Civics are a poorfags best friend. Just because that you're incompetent with cash doesn't mean this is a bad car. It does however explain why you're a poorfag.

whut how do you 18mpg
also 2000 on repairs? are you some kind of dumbass that brings it to some expensive ass garage? Also why do you paint a shitbox

the 1.4 and 1.5 vtec-e do like 50.

you're the kind of guy that burns a microwave dinner arn't you

>should have bought a new car instead
*newer

On like highway mang

I live in LA and it gets 18mpg

This.

> Also why do you paint a shitbox

>he doesn't repaint his car

>some kind of dumbass that brings it to an expensive ass garage

not op but if you can't work on your own car then what the fuck are you supposed do? Literally every car shop in the country will jew you out of money unless youre buddys with the owner or something. I think you're the dumbass

>can't
Won't. Or are you somehow disabled mentally or physically?

>burns a microwave dinner
My roommate put an onion bagel dog in the microwave for 10 minutes. I had to move out.

If you need body repairs you can't really blame the car for having mechanical issues.
Try not fucking crashing or being crashed into.

Work on your own car.

>buying a shitty civic
>caring about paint or body problems
>not doing your own body work with a 3 pound hammer and a can of rustoleum
>insuring the car with anything other than liability
>can't even turn a wrench himself
>buying parts from the dealership
kys cuck

I bet it is even an automatic too.

I'd love to learn to but I work full time in an office, live in an apartment, have no tools to speak of, and no friends or family that work on cars. I've done some little stuff before like replace the radiator/heater hoses but when it came time to do the timing belt and all I had was 1 socket set and some funnels, I had to go get assraped by a shop.

>I live in LA
You deserve everything you get

>own civic
>a fucking jeep backs right into me in the parking lot and caves in the right side door
>their insurance gives me 2 grand for damage
>buy pretty good looking door for $40 from a junkyard, hammer out the rest of damage mostly into shape, and pocket the rest of the money
>I originally bought the car for $2500
Owning a Civic has been pretty good for me money-wise so far. Just has a bit of cellulite on it.

What else do you need other than a socket set and maybe a torque wrench to do a timing belt?

can I use your garage and have you help me? Because all I have is a socket set and some funnels

Use the socket set to take the valve cover off, then replace the timing belt. Do it wherever your car is parked.

With cars there really isn't much learning, just doing.

Could have bought a food motorcycle for that money, idiot.

>Inb4 muh safetyyyyyyy waaaahhhh

some knowledge and maybe a second pair of hands. I wasn't going to potentially fuck up my car trying to do important maintenance by watching youtube vids in a parking lot. And apparently the timing belt on an EJ253 is a pain in the ass even if you have the right tools.

>I wasn't going to potentially fuck up my car trying to do important maintenance by watching youtube vids in a parking lot.
Well, that's how everybody starts my man. Get to it.

Pain in the ass really only means it just takes longer, not that it requires some sage knowledge.

It needed quite a bit
>suspension links
>brakes all around
>ECM
>alternator
>door hinges
>exhaust
And a few more things, it all totalled $1400. Yeah, I understand that money could have been spent much wiser, but a lot of the issues that came up were unexpected. The only thing I figured I needed was the computer and brakes. Everything else was a surprise. I'd finish one thing, and then notice something else. Even the supposedly 'clean' rockers were garbage. I never said it was a bad car either, I happen to enjoy my Civ' quite a bit. I'd like to know where you got all your front end parts, Saf-Way charged me almost $300 for the front brakes alone.

>the average normie

>Also fuel consumption of a used car is much higher

>Car gets 30mpg from factory
>Does this for a year
>Owner sells it because America has to have a new car
>Guy who buys it second hand gets only 18 mpg because it is now used

You learn how to work on your own car? You know part of being an adult is taking responsibility and not making excuses.

>paying for a brake job
tripfags baka

I didn't pay for a brake job, I payed for the parts...

If you own a VAG pos, you need the special VAG flywheel lock

>sister buys 220k mile civic for 3k
>fucking 50mpg
>dead reliable
>all i had to do was a tuneup
love that little shitbox

fuck, I know your right. But its easier to bitch... I guess I just need to bite the bullet, buy a jack/stands, and try to fix the next thing that needs fixing

>Also fuel consumption of a used car is much higher
because people dont fucking do a damn tuneup

Can you just jam a prybar in the right place?

fucking kill yourself

So how much did that mechanic just rape you for?

Not in all engines, like the EA111 series, they were designed in a way that prevents this to complicate maintenance

t. autonigger lube tech

Of course it is automatic im not a third world nigger poor

>part of being an adult is taking responsibility and not making excuses

im sorry, dad. I'll quit 'making excuses' about why auto shops overcharge and why I can't replace my own clutch using nothing but google and a $30 socket set

it's not my fault you're an inept retard

$1100 dollars for timing belt/waterpump........

The proper fix is to not burn up your clutch in the first place

>I can't replace my own clutch using nothing but google and a $30 socket set

illiterate mexicans do this on the daily in my neighborhood. whats your excuse?

kek

or buy a car with a burnt up clutch

you need to grow up and stop making excuses

Let's face it, he probably tore it up himself

>listening to busriders

Anyone that suggests a few is a normie cuck or a busrider. Get a crown Vic.

>I can't replace my own clutch using nothing but google and a $30 socket set
Actually that's all you need

isn't that like saying the proper fix for brakes is not wearing them out to begin with?

engine breaking brah

Brakes wear by design through normal use.

Clutches only significantly wear if you suck at using your left foot

no, not at all.

Besides brake wear is regular maintenance. Clutch, irregular. You could baby a clutch well over 120k miles. Most people don't even own a car that long.

>im not a third world nigger poor
>buying a used honda civic

>American education

Actually clutch friction material wears out anyway and it will need replacement at like 200k miles or something

Make sure your tires are filled, my friend has one and he told me that the fuel economy gets a lot worse with low tires

That's a lot of fucking miles though.
By that point you're probably going to lose a head gasket or something else equally annoying to fix

>head gasket
Now THAT is something that should last the life of the engine(before it needs a rebuild, that is) which should be around 250 or 300k miles.
If your head gasket blows before you take the engine apart to rebuild it, someone skipped basic maintenance

Check'd

>and it's automatic too

OP is literally a nigger in denial.

Why didn't they total it if you only bought it for $2500?

They saved $500-.

I have a 5.3 Silverado and I get 18mpg city. Nigger what are you doing?

It's ok OP my small sedan requires premium and gets like 20 combined

I have a 99 Civic as well, 4 door, 222k miles and I get over 30 driving normally. Your car must run like shit to only get 18mpg... I had a full size Chevy crew-cab diesel pick up that got 18 mpg without much effort.

Lel my '96 civic was the most dead reliable car i had until it flossed. My meme unlikable Volvo is a bit of a money out though.

You should probably change the oxygen sensor.

>Buying nipshit
>Ever

You deserve it

It's probably leaking oil through the valve guides. Kills your economy and is a common problem on 90s Hondas.

It was just under the amount that would have totaled it they said, so I could keep the car

The cheap beater thing only works if you work on it yourself.

No 20+ year old car will be dead reliable.

>mang
Are you an illegal too?

Learn to work on your car faggot. This used to be a regular thing to do until gen x “men” decided it was better to start acting like women and have everything done for them. If youre a taco this makes you even more pathetic, btw

>Saf-Way charged me almost $300 for the front brakes alone.
Damn. $300 per axle for you. The Honda dealer here has brake service regularly priced at $149 per axle. When they have specials, it is even lower. This is my local Honda dealer. The DeaLER. But we also have lots of brake shops competing on price that have $100 specials. So the Honda dealer is more expensive than those cut rate independent shops.

There are online reference sites that have average pricing of repairs. One example is repairpal, but I'm too lazy to look up the Civic:
repairpal.com/estimator/honda/accord/brake-pad-replacement-cost

>bought a 1999 Honda Civic Sedan as suggested by Veeky Forums

Eh, it was 300 for both front, so 150 per axle? or I'm not seeing something right.
I'll see if I can dig up the receipt anyways, to tally up how hard I was Jew'd

No, you're just a shit driver if you get 18mpg in a civic.

TFW I get over 20 avg in a 4.0 Cherokee

what exactly is included in a "tuneup"?

I paid $500 for a 1.6l manual honda civic lx. I bought it 2 years ago. It has 317k miles on it. I average 35-40mpg with mixed driving and have had zero problems with it. Don't know what your problem is man.

Nothing. It's a scam service if the car has an ecu.

*cough* timing belt *cough*

>Even the supposedly 'clean' rockers were garbage

really though, this was you fault for not giving it a full on inspection.

My 2.5L V6 5mt that drinks fuel like a Somali pirate on the highway still does 20mpg in the city. Fucking thing does 4000rpm @ 80mph, yay volumetric efficiency.

Maybe you should do a fucking tune up once in a while.

If you're as much of a badge whore as i think you are, you could have gotten a BMW 325 e46 and spend the same amount of money on it.

in a nutshell
a check and replacement ignition system parts
replacement of spark plugs(definitely) and wires(or CoP's if the car uses that system) and have higher mileage, too much resistance damage etc

replacement of any other ignition part that is out of spec (coil pack, distributor whatever)

I would usually do a fuel filter, pcv valve, air filter change, clean throttle body, egr ports, iacv if it's gunked up at the same time, but that shit not included in your typical shop tuneup.

>and have higher mileage, too much resistance damage etc

**** if they have higher mileage, too much resistance, damage, etc

and a very light coating of dielectric grease on contact points
shit worked wonders on my battery terminals and coil pack plugs

How many miles did it have to start?

CoP's don't have moving parts like a cap and rotor, plus they can be somewhat pricey depending if they're OEM or aftermarket, why change them?

more than you can afford pal.

Yall niggas to learnt how to work on your car. You can save yourself thousands in the long run. Pay $90 for an oil change? Fuck that, do it yourself. It takes less than 15 minutes and hardly any effort is involved. Half the time is waiting for the oil to drain out.

290 something, I put 10k or so on it each year.

>CoP's don't have moving parts like a cap and rotor
never said they did

>why change them?
only if needed

You bought someone else's piece of shit.

I got like 30mpg mixed in mine.

Right? I did some light hypermiling and got 50mpg.

manual trans, no power steering, no AC, coupe.