>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Our pastebin (Don't bother reading this right now, it needs an overhaul)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (memebed) (memebed) (memebed)

>Dom4 Inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Noob questions answered that you didn't think to ask
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Debugger guide and download
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453&highlight=debug

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing
Previous Pantokrator: →

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FinalCountdown
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1398
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Aboleth Traps Edition
People will get the wrong impression of /domg/

NEW LA GAME WITH TIME LIMIT

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FinalCountdown

NEW LA GAME WITH TIME LIMIT

>wrong

Thanks for the rec, user, this nation is very fun to play.

>S1
hnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

There is nothing wrong with this pretender.

t. Bandar Log

DELET

this has to be b8

S1?
No, this is just my third game.

Astral 1 means that another random Astral 1 faggot who can be recruited for 65 gold by some nations can cast a Magic Duel spell with 1 astral pearl, win a roll, and kill your super valuable pretender.

And the enemy can try this as long as he has Astral 1 mages. And some nations have a shitton. And your chance of survival with Astral 1 vs Astral 1 is basically 50/50 every time, so after 3 tries you'll almost certainly die.

astral 1 means that any astral mage can cast Magic Duel and kill him.

Oh wow. Thanks for the heads up.

Should be fine if all you're fighting is the AI though.

is it normal to request a turn resend for literally every turn? I haven't received a turn file the normal way except on turn 0.

Also I definitely made orders and things for that turn I "staled" so losing that turn is bullshit and makes me not want to continue, though I will for now.

Horde must be destroyed.

t. Alliance baby

Check your spam filters?

what game?

>Check your spam filters?
It's not going to the spam folder and in any case a resend would have been sent there too.

>what game?
AIUrselfBoy, the newbies game

also my original turn and my resend requests have not gotten to me yet ugh

I want to go to bed early tonight. If llamaserver doesn't get its shit together soon I'll have to seriously consider just go AI and stop dealing with this

The fact is so evident that you refuse to argue against its legitimacy.

Furthermore, Horde must be destroyed.

Agartha 2h file received
Arcoscephale 2h file received
C'tis 2h file received
Jomon 2h file received
>Pangaea Waiting for 2h file
Pythium 2h file received
R'lyeh 2h file received
>T'ien Ch'i Waiting for 2h file
Ulm 2h file received

p-please do your turns

i-if it's not too much trouble th-that is....

No

Remove orc

o-oh

I couLd do my tUrn, but i feel like staling today, My frIend. i hope you uNderstAnd That It's nothing personal.

I was thinking of doing a mordor mod once I finish the shadows of mordor game now that you mention orcs. Surprising that there arent any lord of the rings mods.

There were some LotR mods for Dominions 3. You could convert them.

You fucked up.

I might do that. I dont have Dominions 3 though so it might make it a bit difficult.

its on sale b-baka.

I'm interested in making a LotR mod too, maybe we could get a few more anons and make a full nation roster?

So i'm trying out LA Atlantis, this is my first game.

I've been building castles almost every province i can, building units, i have a basic unit army with ice armor-less units and one with ice armors (who cost a ton of resources holy fuck) also my basic army is accompanied by those big guys with 3W/3D spells+ 2 bless

I seem to be able to take care of most armies and my generals seem to be gaining a good ammount of xp. What i'm not doing is using up magic, i've been researching but not really using the non combat spells i'm getting.

And? what are you asking, or is this just a personal blog?

Try all the nations (literally, try all of them for at least expansion) and find one you really like the feel of. Then crack open the mod inspector and look at their mages. Once you know their basic paths have a look at boosters (under items) and work out what you can boost to easily with the paths you have. Then you can figure out what spells you can reasonably reach. From then experiment with spells and armies (preferably against yourself or other players) to figure out what works.

help

I'm not spending 7 dollarydoos just to make it easier to convert mods from a game I'll never play. Also I was thinking of the shadows of mordor version of mordor in particular because it already has all the units lined up with their own descriptions.

Try summoning green lions or whatever those fuckers are called. Shit like maelstrom and vengeful waters is fun as well.

fug, i thought i put the question there as well.

I wanted to ask how do i use magic more efficiently? i feel like having a nearby mage with a lab to cast ritual spells while having 2 (or can i just have 1?) on the field is a good idea but when the fighting takes place farther and farther from the foward lab it will be annoying to move foward as well and keep building labs.

Also how do i into making items?

I'm not an expert by any means but a lot of the time you want more mages that in a fight if you can manage it.

bad!

There's no golden ratio when it comes to mages. Send out what you think you need to win your battles, every turn that they're doing something else they're not researching.

Magic is different for almost every faction, it really depends on what mages you have access to to know what you should be doing with them. I suggest reading a guide for a faction you like to get a baseline for what spells are good and what your research goals are.

As for items you should look to the mod inspector. Best items for cheap thugging are fire/frost brands and vine shields. Other important items are items that grant +research like lightless lanterns, dwarven hammers because they reduce the cost of forging, supply bonus items like caudrons.

Most of this shit takes time to learn, eventually it'll come more naturally when you devote time to learning the game.

>shadow of mordor version of LotR

I no longer wish to collaborate, good luck though!

You want to have dozens of mages on the field in big battles (if the enemy is dumb enough to doomstack/or during sieges). With W/D you want to be shooting for D evos and skelly spam and .... quickness? for water, water is generally shit.

I am a man of meager skills so I will take the easiest option available to me. Also I dont know shit about the lord of the rings actual lore.

>Try summoning green lions or whatever those fuckers are called. Shit like maelstrom and vengeful waters is fun as well.
Those sound fun

>it really depends on what mages you have access to to know what you should be doing with them
my strongest mages seem to be the 3w/3d 2 bless guys, i'm actually swimming in water gems so i'll try and see what i can cast.

>dozens of mages
jesus that sounds like a clusterfuck

Also i should just get a max level mage to search magic sites right? i've been using the 3/3s but they haven't found much and i could really use some death gems

3 I think is the highest in a path you need a guy to be to find a site I think.

F

For singleplayer, just do whatever you want.
But generally, LA Atlantis is a nation that likes to play focused more on scales, with either a death heavy or astral heavy pretender. Their land troops and Angakoks are really solid, but once they reach underwater, they get expensive but strong mages.
Their main game strat is to use large amounts of debuffs they're immune to like Grip of Winter and Darkness combined with buffs like Stygian Rains (which they can actually use effectively since their weapons are magic) and quickness which is an overall good thing to have. They can also use their Forgiving Fathers to cast stuff like Acid Storm or spam Green Lions, which is always a good summon to spam.

Keep in mind having 2 in a path guarantees you like ~80% of the gem sites.

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1398

Is there a way to build the building that gives the strongest mages and the holy troops in another province? kinda annoying i can only build them there

interesting, for the most part i've been kinda bruteforcing it, but i found a 400 unit strong province so i should really do those.

i've been extremely unlucky it seems, most sites aren't really yielding magical sites.

>Is there a way to build the building that gives the strongest mages and the holy troops in another province? kinda annoying i can only build them there
Nope, some dudes are capital only.

>Is there a way to build the building that gives the strongest mages and the holy troops in another province? kinda annoying i can only build them there
No, they're cap-only for a reason. However, you can summon stronger mages and troops using your gems anywhere. And new researched spells is learned by everyone immediately.

Is there any way to spam firebirds as MA Vanarus without using your pretender? I'm not seeing any F1S1 mages, nor are there F1S1 summons that aren't late game demon lords.

What age?

Also, that's awful for any age of riley. EA/MA wants order, every riley can safely dump production because slaves are cheap. If EA/MA take growth 3. Max a temp scale, because seas can only go to temp 1 so it's 80 free points. Dom8 is overkill unless it's LA; dom5 is totally safe. Drop the luck for magic unless LA.

what the fuck is up with ElvesAreFor?

Is it blessrush-The Game?

R'lyeh already has complete astral access and does pretty much nothing with the bless. With Dimensional Rod MA/LA can even get S9 caster from cap recruitables (1/16th chance) or their S5 hero.

There are times when you want to capitalize on the strengths of your nation rather than patching up weaknesses but this isn't it.

feels like it
i'm already pretty much dead

Yeah was a 'non-meme' game so people took that as 'time to blessrush'

I made a grievous error in not picking a bless nation

May I ask if there were any non-conventional blesses?

Every nation is a bless nation. You just need some creativity.

Helheim - The reason that it was so convincing that I was about to attack Machaka is that I was about to attack Machaka. The only stuff I had to hit you with on that first turn was that one provinces that bordered both of you and random site searchers.

Yomi - We tite. Don't even worry about the bumps. You can keep the gear.

Machaka/Oceania - Are you guys fighting now?

Abysia, are you here? I'm fine with you having this guy's cap if you want it.

I didn't realize that item autocasting costs fatigue, fuck

I thought that it didn't, but just stops going at 100

And of course NewGamePlus Pangaea doesn't make a double turn.

It does, I just lost a golem because of it.

Which item? Lightning helm?

Don't sweat it bruh

Lifelong Protection doesn't cost fatigue,

A scutata voltanus or whatever the fuck. I thought the shockwaves would help more than a vine shield against this target.

It's possible that it was taking fatigue damage from the shockwave if he didn't have any other sources of shock resistance. The shockwave does 10 AN fatigue damage.

So, we've all heard of Forester Bob, Asshole Batman and the Eater of Dead assassin.

What are some other niche strats? Mass indy priests with warbows and a F9/A4 bless? Mass Fireburds? mass orgies?

What are some real off the wall tactics?

The shield itself gives +5 shock res and resistance is doubled against stun damage, so that shouldn't be it. However, checking the item again, it lists a fatigue cost of 20 on the shockwave spell.

I also noticed this with a totem shield I looted in another game, with the totem shield having a listed fatigue of 5. Lifelong protection has a fatigue of 0, so that's probably why it doesn't cost any.

Huh. You're right. That might not be intended, though.

It makes every one of those items terrible, either way. It's massive fatigue drain for less than it's worth. If it hadn't killed my golem, it would easily have countered the 12 lifelong protections on the enemy side, and actually did kill 100 or so imps.

They're both summod items, which is why I suspect it's a bug.

HAHAHA, THIS WAS ME
Also you didn't have any lightning resist - you put an iron face on the dude. for what its worth, though, he still would have died even if he hadn't fatigued out. 100 imps isn't very impressive when I make that in just 4 turns.

Wouldn't have been quite so many imps, though.

Oh well, one golem's not game-ending. Thanks for catapulting that other golem to the top of the hall of fame, by the way.

That actually explains it, since I just tested it and my golem didn't acquire any fatigue

that feel when they talk about you in the thread as if you're a joke and you can't stop them

It was getting fatigue even when it wasn't hitting itself, though. I guess other, less innovative counters will have to do.

picture for reference.

so, yeah, no bug and no fatigue. Just a build error on your part.

The spell effects don't necessarily have exactly matching AoE. They're two AoE 6 effects, the damage portion just has the visual.

Are certain provs just more site dense? Ive had provs I find 4 magic sites on with a level 9 search of everything and others that only pop 1. Does the game tend to clump them or is it all random? I know farmland tends to have the least and wastes/swamps tend to have more, but just checking if there is a logic to this.

>getting elf'd by someone I thought was my UW buddy.
Well Atlantis, I feel its time I posted the graphs I got from a magic site - I held off on these as I thought we were buddies, but I see the truth now. For those smaller powers in the game, don't be malakal'd by his rhetoric if he's been swaying you toward fighting me (looking at you, Man.) He's just as much a lategame power as myself.
Also sorry for shit quality, Straya internet doesn't want me posting this for some reason (again, I blame Malakal for this)

Forests have more N sites, swamps have more W/D sites, wastes have more E/D sites, mountains have more E/?? sites, there's some logic to it.

>that fucking spike when you cast eternal pyre

It's random. While certain types of provinces tend towards more sites and even more sites in a certain path (sitesearching caves with earth, forests with nature, and wastes with fire are all unsurprisingly good ideas). There are also sometimes map defined manysites provinces - Valanis has a few for instance (the giant tree province, some of the other ones with interesting shit drawn on) which again have a bonus to sites.
That said these just weight the random generator and its possible for a farmland to have 3 sites and a manysites province to have just 1 or none. Its just less likely that this will happen.

I've Haruspex'd every forest I have, 6 of them, not a nature site to be seen. I'm playing a fucking nature nation

This game sometimes.

Are you Sauro? I don't have enough scouts to tell.

>be blood nation
>exceed / match a gem-only nation's gem income
>Malakaled?!?!

Your research is shit, though, especially given your massive gem income. You should have a billion lanterns by now.

I don't know what I expected.

>that shit gem income I had despite siteseatching half the map

Also:
>trusting frogs
>ever

You should have learned from my mistakes.

So this worked pretty well. Probably can't hold onto these, but I do love it when a plan comes together.

Abysia actually has a hoburg crossbow province that he just hasn't been using. I don't really agree with that decision. Also got some crystal mages to go with his throne mages.

My one loss was the guy whose job it was to die when I hit a bloodhunting province, but the way he died was interesting. I expected to lose him to imps or pd, but instead the horde of blood slaves ran up and punched him to death.

I'm not super surprised about having the most research since I'm running Magic 3 and spamming the W1 coastal mages. You really should have better research, though, especially since you went Cons early. Still, the fact is that we're on par in gem income while you also have a blood economy, so that's certainly something.

I actually found 2 sites in your former territory so far.

>tfw you successfully suicide your entire remaining aquatic force while capturing the last indie UW province as an underwater nation
Upkeep begone!

They're more Bogarus's thing, which they can summon natively. Vanarus just has the ability to summon them potentially because of the similar background, they don't have the paths for them through their national mages. (Though you can potentially get some of the cooler indie mages to cast it for you, like adepts or a Magus)